Wharton County was named after brothers William H. and John A. Wharton and is located northeast of Victoria on U.S. Highway 59. The county is surrounded by Matagorda, Colorado and Jackson counties. The Karankawa Native Americans occupied the land until the late 18th century.
Wharton County was established after Texas statehood and the Mexican War in 1846 from parts of Matagorda, Jackson and Colorado counties. The county’s population tripled because of the influx of Europeans and the railroad extension between 1870 and 1900. Mexicans came to area to herd cattle after the Civil War. The county is responsible for producing rice, cotton and cattle production.
Wharton Chamber of Commerce & Agriculture More
EL CAMPO - When Emorie Dornak, 9, first stepped into the museum five years ago, she screamed before running out ... More
Prasek’s Hillje Smokehouse has steak so tender you can cut it with a plastic fork. More
WHARTON - The Plaza Theatre holds different meaning to each generation. More
El Campo Chamber of Commerce . 979-543-2713 . www.elcampochamber.com More