Home » Edward M. Kennedy dies » Unverified Comments

Comments

• Catahula,

On the surface people might SEEM to wiggle out of things in confession/acquitals, etc. I doubt that Ted Kennedy told people that he went to sacramental confession and that he was exonnerated from Chapaquituk.

It's a private matter- not even between you and the priest, necesarily, but between you and God. Because as Catholics, we, or practicing Catholics, believe that you are truly telling your sins to Christ, not just a man sitting there wearing a collar.

Thus, I fail to see how Ted Kennedy, or any other unrepentant sinner could ever wiggle out of confession to a priest or even with a public confession.

Only God knows if someone is truly repentant for his sin, and only God knows if the man or woman truly intends to avoid that sin in the future.

You or I shouldn't make that judgement.
    We can judge his actions, surely, but the final judgement of his soul is to God.

I know that there are those of other faiths that might disagree with this, but I am speaking to you as a fellow Catholic.

God will catch up with ya sooner or later..... He truly knows the heart.

That's why I said that there is such a thing as final Justice. And we'll all meet Him, as Ted did today.

What justice he met was greater than anything you could sling at him or a court of law could. We also have to remember the mercy of God....

Your allusion about what has gone on in the diocese here is interesting, as to time and place, who knows?

Do as you like, say as you like. We're all free agents when it comes down to it.

But I do remember that when we say the "Our Father" we say, "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us."

If I call for someone else to roast in hell, I can pretty much expect the same treatment in return for my offences.

"For as you judge, so will you be judged, and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you." Matthew 7:2

Those who know me on here, especially Mike, would realize that usually I'd be the first one to villify the pro-abortion Catholic Ted Kennedy.

I think because he was given much grace and many gifts, he'll be held more accountable- by God.

But the dignity of the human person, even Ted Kennedy- a man whom I truly disliked, calls for a stepping back and realizing that we're not the arbitrators of his final destination.

God is.

August 26, 2009 at 9:49 p.m.
  • Maryann,

As I have walked through life I have far too many people that have used the cloistures of confession and the ability rebirth themselves many times over to exhonerate their sins.

Sorry as a Catholic I see fault that confession was created by men of the church to weasel out of their sins. The act of required confession and penance was created in 1215 by men. They required it at least once a year. Yeah the same church that helps create the sememinaries that propogate pedophiles --something most Catholics turn their back on and go to church and pray for forgiveness. Oye Oye. It is also against church laws to talk about what is learned in confession. Let me say at least one priest in the Victoria area did it and the Victoria Dioceses at the time did nothing. Let me repeat. DID NOTHING.

So I am throwing rocks in my own house. I personally hope there was no forgiveness and he roasts in Hell. Because if you remember if you believe in Heaven you have to believe there is Hell --that is were God sends those who are evil. And the church teaches you there is evil in this world. They do perform exorcisms. Ted should have been exorcised.

August 26, 2009 at 8:05 p.m.
  • There is such a thing as final Justice. It's one of the reasons some atheists (some!) started to believe in a God.

August 26, 2009 at 4:38 p.m.
  • Rukiddingme..are you saying that Ted Kennedy "took ownership" of his mistake??? I think Mary Jo Kopechnne's family would differ from that viewpoint.
    Kennedy DENIED driving drunk...and waited to report the accident, saying he had "irrational thoughts". But, go back and read news reports at the time...about the phone calls he made, and whom he made those phone calls to, before he called the police.

Maples, on the other hand, plead guilty to the charges against him, right? He served time in prison, right? He was stripped of his ability to making a living in his chosen field, right?

Neither men were saints, obviously. Maples paid for (and continues to pay for) his crime which involved money. Kennedy's crime, involving a human life, resulted in probation. Now, tell me again...which one "took ownership" for his crimes?

August 26, 2009 at 4:23 p.m.
  • When is the funeral? I will not be able to attend but I will celebrate the event!

August 26, 2009 at 3:58 p.m.
  • Hello Catahula,

Confession to a Catholic should not be any type of cop out. We're taught in First Communion class that if you commit a mortal sin you don't get forgiveness unless you're truly repentant.

Confessing your sin yet meaning to do it again can cause some serious eternal repercussions, if you know what I mean.

In John 20:23, Jesus told the Apostles, "Whose sins you forgive are forgiven, whose sins you retain are retained." Today's bishops are the successors to these apostles. No where does the Bible say that confession was just an apostolic occurrence.

I'm not too keen on Ted Kennedy, but I do know that Jesus forgave his murderers from the cross. He could forgive Ted Kennedy his many offenses and sort things out as well.

That WAS between Jesus and Teddo earlier today. I'm sure it was an interesting meeting.

August 26, 2009 at 3:08 p.m.
  • RU and Malaise and others.

I don't believe in revisonist history when a person dies. Kennedy was an alcolholic, womanizer, murderer, and a destroyer of our nation from my point of view. And it is mine alone.

From 1965 about his floor speech on immigration to his trying to pass camolot to Obama. From his drunk whale like body chasing women in South Florida (caught on national news) to murdering a woman and trying to cover it up at a time when he was married.

Sorry, I am Catholic too. But I believe sinning and using confession is an immoral copout that the church advertises as a great benefit and protestants hate as a stupid action. But then again, I think using born again action after murdering someone is a copout too. Being saved does not exhonerate you from your actions. You killed, you should die. Period.

Kennedy was panicking in his last days and pleading with Congress to change as bill he absolutely forced into affect 5 years ago. Ain't life heck.

They call him a lion. Lions eat people with no sense of guilt. Call him for what is was. Just because he is dead, does not change the horrible damage he and his extended family have done to this this nation. It makes me ponder why God zapped them. Ted supported JFK's diddling. JFK and Robert played with the mofia. Sadly the young one died of his own stupidity --he did not have the skills to fly when he did.

And what about the Kennedy cousin that bludgeoned the young woman with a golf club and the the family flew him out of the country to avoid jail.

Oh yes the Kennedy family is a fine one. If that family was placed in an environment without the money, all of them would have been in jail many years ago....

August 26, 2009 at 2:44 p.m.
  • Many comments here say alot about how little they believe in God's ability to forgive. You don't know what went on between Ted Kennedy and his Maker, you are only speculating to serve your own purposes. My statement stands.

August 26, 2009 at 2:09 p.m.
    *******************************

Kind a like when Sam Houston did his thing and came to Texas. Right?

August 26, 2009 at 2:03 p.m.
  • Rukiddingme....ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Are you really comparing what Maples did to Kennedy's actions?? Maples lied, he stole money. Kennedy is responsible for a woman's death. Maples spent time in prison....how much time did Kennedy spend? Maples was punished far more severely for his less serious actions.

Malaise...my comments about Ted Kennedy say that I don't buy into the raw political power/prestige to buy your way out of responsibility for someone's death. My comments about Ted Kennedy say that I am not blinded by the whole "Camelot" mystique to see that Ted Kennedy was the weak link among the Kennedy brothers. Not just with the Kopechne incident....look at how he lived his private life.
    My comments about Ted Kennedy say that I remember Mary Jo Kopechne...and the life she never had.

August 26, 2009 at 1:33 p.m.
  • KCi, your comments say a whole lot more about you than they do Ted Kennedy.

August 26, 2009 at 10:39 a.m.
  • woof...believe me, I "kicked" him when he was alive, also. Dying does not absolve a person of their failings and their wrongdoings.

August 26, 2009 at 9:15 a.m.
  • Kick a man when he is dead. Nice

August 26, 2009 at 9:10 a.m.
  • A person's private actions say alot more about that person than his public acts. Cheating at school, marital infidelity, alcohol abuse, late-night carousing with family members....I'm sure the Senator and St. Peter had an interesting conversation at the Gates of Heaven.

August 26, 2009 at 8:50 a.m.
  • may god rest his soul and good riddence

August 26, 2009 at 8:45 a.m.
  • KCi wrote:
    "As the Senator burns in hell for all eternity, finally Mary Jo Kopechne will receive justice."

My thinking too. Haven't seen this subject brought up in the media yet.

August 26, 2009 at 7:24 a.m.
  • As the Senator burns in hell for all eternity, finally Mary Jo Kopechne will receive justice.

August 26, 2009 at 6:34 a.m.