Home » Does amnesty work? » Unverified Comments

Comments

• Alton - do not count me among those that hate you, as I have never met you. I do, however, take strong offense at your line of thinking in this matter. It is really none of your business WHAT my family has or hasn't done in "defense" or even offense of this country. I would seriously caution you against making assumptions about that, though. You would likely be wrong. I understand you are entitled to your opinion, but the fact is, I AM A UNITED STATES CITIZEN, and a fourth generation (at least) TEXAN and those are statuses that CANNOT be taken away from me or my family nor demeaned no matter your opinion. So, frankly, as entitled as you are to your OPINION, I am likewise entitled to disregard it.

August 31, 2009 at 8:34 p.m.
  • hey jerk...

Yep, hook, line, and sinker......whoosh

August 31, 2009 at 8:30 p.m.
  • SugarMagnolia what sacrifice have you or your family done in the defense of "The Constitution of The United States of America."
    IF you or your family have never made any direct sacrificed, then you and your family are living off the blood and sweat of those that have. I don't see it any other way.
    Many may hate me for my belief and honesty--and that is their right.

August 31, 2009 at 8:25 p.m.
  • Joethejerks comments are full of hate & bigotry yet none of them ever get deleted.....

August 31, 2009 at 8:13 p.m.
  • Alton - thanks a lot for the insinuation that I am not a "true" American citizen, nor are certain of my family members. I am sure that will come as a surprise to them, much as it did to me. What a slap in the face! If you mean this to apply to immigrants, then SAY SO. If not, then, sir, you are way off base.

August 31, 2009 at 8:05 p.m.
  • GABE SEMENZA, your story seems to make light of illegal immigration. While your story talks briefly about the immigration reform that provided Flores a course of action to become an American citizen, you fail to say why the reform failed. The sweeping immigration reform passed and signed into law by President Reagan in 1986 has not worked because:
    1. It reduced the number of allowed legal immigration.
    2. Did not secure the borders.
    3. Did not make it a federal felony to hire illegal aliens. Corporation officers should even be subject to prison time for failure to prevent the hiring of illegal aliens.
    4. Did not provide a system to quickly process aliens for Green Cards.
    5. Did not provide a means to void Green Cards of individuals that failed to pay taxes.
    6. Did not provide a means for annual adjustments of legal immigration.
    7. Did not require Green Card holders to learn English within three years.
    8. Did not tax money leaving the United States.

I personally do not believe anyone can be called a true citizen of the United States until he/she or a very close family member has served with honor in our military service. Without a true commitment to defend the Constitution of the United States with your life if necessary, you are just a citizen on paper--IMO.

August 31, 2009 at 8:01 p.m.
  • Hey Suzy do you mean it? I have your approval,you mean i can stay because i have earned my right to stay over time ,oh thank you ,i have waited my whole life for your approval,you do not know how much it means for you to have the power to know that i deserve to stay,how did you know i deserve to ,nevermind thank you so much!! NOT!!!!!

August 31, 2009 at 6:59 p.m.
  • All the blame lies in Washington!Its not the illegals from Mexico that is hurting our economy. Didnt we take this land from the mexicans? Its everybody, whites,brown,black worring someone is going to get something for nothing and,"I am not going to get any!!" White people are the worst. Iam white and proud. Just dont care for the whites,brown,black,yellow green, that think they are owed something or better than just by the size of his bank account or how many toys they have. Washington alredy has us screwed its just a matter of time before the whites are going to be looking for a border to cross and brown is not going to let white in!!! And nobody will have anything.

August 31, 2009 at 2:47 a.m.
  • Joethejerk, according to census 2008 the hispanic population in Texas is approximately 37%..........most of that population is most dense in only 5 counties (south texas)............from what i learned in school.......that is not equal to or greater than 50%.....which would be majority. ;)

August 30, 2009 at 6:22 p.m.
  • Brown skin has absolutely nothing to do with it. My Mother-in-law came from Europe and her skin got browner than most Mexicans when she was out in the sun.
    I now see what your problem is. You are taking this way too personally. If you have been here for generations, than you are not the problem. You have earned your right to be here over time. How much money did you send back to Mexico? Have you made America your home?

August 30, 2009 at 5:57 p.m.
  • We buy cars ,cell phones,homes,insurance,go to restaurants,pay water ,light,we buy gas ,beer and cigarettes. We have a major impact on the economy,I even pay property taxes that contribute to schools and im charged alot. I talk white and brown because thats the way things are ,my children are legal we have been here for generations but you wouldnt know if they were illegal.So thats what makes this whole thing scary,if something like the halocaust started ,do you think they woul care if he was legal? do you think his BROWN skin would be his downfall?Its not just about legal and illegal,thats what most want us to believe,I know it isnt so.The economy is bad blame our black president,jobs are scarce blame illegals,Really? My children know that they are worth just as much as the next man no matter how you got here,You can blame me for that!!

August 30, 2009 at 5:25 p.m.
  • Durn the edit feature, took out one "seem" word

August 30, 2009 at 5:17 p.m.
  • Tone, a good point.

You yourself have a tone.

I've personally seen the tone from both sides.

A lot of posters on this site use the "we are here and we are not going to leave, we will rule this country" attitude.

True people where discriminated against in THE PAST be they blacks, Latinos, Vietnamese, Irish, Polish and Italian.

On my mothers side, her family immigrated to America in the early 1800, poor a$$ Irish dirt farmers, they where lucky to buy coffee at the general store much less to own any slaves.

There children grew up and lived in America.

During the civil war two of there sons joined the army, one joined the Union army, the other joined the Confederates. Think of the dilemma the family faced, one on one side, one on the other when they really didn't care one way or the other.

On my fathers side of the family, they legal immigrated to America in about 1915.

The opinions you express (and others) seem to express to assume that every single person in American whose skin is less dark is guilty of every sin committed years ago.

In fact you are wrong, your hatred is misplaced, when you say "YOU people", "they don't like Obama because he is not one of THEM", "YOU people don't know what I've seen" is misguided, IMO it is nothing but hatred based on what your opinion at this stage of your life is.

Funny thing is, there is no exact race description on the census departments questionnaire that fits me.

So hate all you want, perceive things as they are in your mind, it's not really the way America is these days, but you are entitled to think it is.

August 30, 2009 at 5:15 p.m.
  • Tone, a good point.

You yourself have a tone.

I've personally seen the tone from both sides.

There children grew up and lived in America.

The opinions you express (and others) seem to express seem to assume that every single person in American whose skin is less dark is guilty of every sin committed years ago.

August 30, 2009 at 5:13 p.m.
  • hey jerk, you can't answer my questions, can you? The only person that thinks in terms of color is you. Everyone one of your posts has white people, this or that, used in a derogatory way, and uses the word Brown a whole lot. You are a huge racist. People who think in terms of brown versus white and majority rules and all that other garbage will never rule anything. Your mind does not look past color, so you are already on the losing end of anything permanent and worthwhile.

August 30, 2009 at 4:37 p.m.
  • Ohhhh the you people, but no one said anything about hate except well joethejerk.

Isn't that like "they say", "they said", "you people", "those people"?

Like BigJ said people that call other people racists are racists themselves.

August 30, 2009 at 4:19 p.m.
  • Who said they hate a group of people?

August 30, 2009 at 4:14 p.m.
  • Suzy we can probably argue forever because i think you are wrong and you think the same of my views.But i think the bottom line is this ,we are not going anywhere,no one can make us go anywhere,we will not let you degrade us. I can not stop you people from hating us but i can teach every brown kid that i come across that he has every right to be where he is.I will also teach them that they are no less than the white people who hate them so. Cigarettes and beer is that what you think?Your simple mind only wishes that was all that the brown people buy .I was put on this earth by God,you think you have the right to say who belongs where?The days of white people telling everyone how things work is over. Majority rules,minority rights. We are the majority in Texas,but I mean hey, you still have rights

August 30, 2009 at 3:59 p.m.
  • Joe ask the local hospitals how they are doing giving free healthcare to your people.
    Next year it may be you that is denied.

August 30, 2009 at 12:21 p.m.
  • joethejerk....by the way, you chose your name well

..."Mexican people put alot of money into the economy,if that were removed from taxes collected it would be an even bigger dent in the economy."...

How much do you think is sent out of the Country by these people? How many of these illegals own property and pay into the school system? How many of these people own cars, or have insurance on cars if they have one? What kinds of taxes are they paying, other than for the small amount of groceries that they buy...and remember food items are not taxed. Oh wait, they do buy beer and cigarettes, don't they?

I really do want to be educated, so tell me what kinds of taxes they pay that covers the cost of them being here and often times send their money to the other country. Please educate me!!!

August 30, 2009 at 10:51 a.m.
  • Texas does not look like a third world country to me .Nondeportation of Mexicans is not why our country would fail .The reality of things is this ,Mexican people put alot of money into the economy,if that were removed from taxes collected it would be an even bigger dent in the economy.Blind hatred is what fuels alot of these comments.However it is no longer the blind leading the blind, our eyes are open to the way of the white man.Texpat if a Mexican is stealing your job you must have a crappy job ,because forthe most part Mexicans do the jobs no one wants to do!Oh but wait ,we are starting to get good jobs ,get education ,and even high government office, So yea i guess i can see why you are afraid.

August 30, 2009 at 9:52 a.m.
  • Although amnesty may not be considered a perfect solution neither does making the nation a police state with a cold war Berlin wall scaling the boarder with officials demanding to review our papers. Those with evil intents such as terrorism will find a way to circumvent any security measures and only those with labor in mind will be deterred. Our historical connections to Mexico is clear given that the six flags over Texas include both Spain and Mexico with only 2 generations of 80 year old separating us. I hear a lot of boogie man fear from entries here but nationalism will accomplish little as long as wealthy business people profit from cheap labor without penalty. Punish the businessman for alien labor and the market will dry up, but the person trying to feed children will not easily be deterred.

August 30, 2009 at 7:44 a.m.
  • With all sincerity, congrats to Flores, but this is no longer the 1970's. Apparently Flores came here with an honest mind. The illegals from those days are not the same as those of today. Those who come to my country with the sole intent of using their knowledge of the border areas, language, and connections to further their criminal activities have created a problem for all of us to deal with. This problem is what we will leave our children and grand- children. This activity must be stopped by all and any means necessary. Its time Americans toughen up. Its time to extend capital punishment to drug runners and dealers. The only way to send a message is with cold dead bodies....fight fire with fire.

August 30, 2009 at 6:48 a.m.
  • if have a sneaky feeling my post will be deleted by daylight like every anti-illegal post. there are millions of unemployed Americans and we are letting more illegals come in and take jobs.America, the socialist wave that is starting to sweep America is moving fast, but then again we are starting to wake up, we have fought socialism in Korea and Viet Nam, now it is in Washington. Wake UP !!!

August 30, 2009 at 2:12 a.m.
  • if you call America being overrun with mexicans and looking like a 3rd world country like the one they left, then you might think amnesty works, if you love America and dont want to see us become a failed nation, then deportation of all illegals is the only thing that will preserve our America.

August 30, 2009 at 1:53 a.m.