Home » Voice message causes stir » Unverified Comments

Comments

• Good Grief, Let this story die before some major newspaper picks this up and gives Goliad some press coverage.
    Ole Teds already at the head of the stampede for a Texas Monthly 2009 Bum Steer Award. I know because I submitted him.  And don't forget to thank the little people from Goliad at the awards ceremony Ted.  Ya had a lot of help Bucko.

January 27, 2009 at 2:55 p.m.
  • people in the crossroads area have always had issues with mexicans and blacks, it was this way 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 15 years ago, 20 years ago, 25 years ago, 30 years ago, ..........................

if you read this website enough, you'll see that many people's way of thinking are stuck in the ways of the segregated past.

January 27, 2009 at 2:10 p.m.
  • Not me:

Debbie Foster...what nerve of her! Turns out she is the Debbie Foster I was thinking about and a good friend of the Longs.
    However there is a correction: The Foster Family out of Victoria is no longer liable for the ex-wife's mouth. Lucky them.

January 26, 2009 at 11 p.m.
  • alvam, I never said only African American, I said no white men. If you would watch C-Span you would know what I'm talking about. I am not the ignorant one in this conversation.........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opxuUj6vFa4

January 26, 2009 at 6:40 p.m.
  • Ok,thanks waywardwind but your post was immediately after mine and I was just splaining…..I know what you mean; some people even got mad about the 3 little red camera lights in Pt. Lavaca…ƒº
    I always say “Throw a rock over the fence; hit dog hollers”…Just wanted to let you I was not hollering….Have a good one.

January 26, 2009 at 3:40 p.m.
  • Comment From: roberttx (Report this comment as a violation)

Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:27:49 CST

Be careful there or BigJ won't know what to put on your Big Mac!

January 26, 2009 at 3:36 p.m.
  • Ted, sounds like your political career is dead.

No one ever accused you folks down thar of being the brightest irons in the fire.

Gonna miss ya pardner

January 26, 2009 at 3:29 p.m.
  • Mike...I wasn't directing the comment to any particular person. When I do that, I put the person's name -- like I did yours -- at the front of the post. It was sort of a shotgun approach directed to whomever the shoe fit. A lot of people were posting about being offended by the message on the answering machine and I said that some people go looking for something to be Poppa Oscared about. I stand by that; some people just aren't happy unless they're mad.

January 26, 2009 at 3:21 p.m.
  • Txnduckhntr - if you are not a racist, why would you want to represent the people of Vidor, the capital of the KKK in Texas? BTW, they hate black people, who speak English.

January 26, 2009 at 2:08 p.m.
  • i would love to be a commisioner in Vidor, TX, or any other town in Texas for that matter. i am not a racist, i believe in freedom of speech. if you dont like the commissioners voice mail, dont call it and dont worry about it. i personnally am offended everytime i have to press one for english, but youu dont hear me raising a big stink. thats just how it is. i have no choice but to accept the fact that whites and english speakers are a minority here. everyone needs to get off their high horse and just get along.
    in my opinion, there is a huge double standard in this country, and its only getting worse with our new administration.
    THANK YOU---thats english for gracias
    i applaud the commissioner for his courage.

January 26, 2009 at 12:18 p.m.
  • Waywardwind
    If your comment was directed to me...I was merely answering notme questions that was directed to Harold,Robert, and Mike.

Answering a question is being thin skinned? I must be down to the bone because I am always replying.

January 26, 2009 at 11:51 a.m.
  • I think the point we've circled around is whether the phone is for official business or if people just call the commissioner at home because he isn't in the office.
    Is there even an office? If it is common practice for this gentleman to conduct official business on that phone, he is representing Goliad County and his answering machine message is inappropriate at the very least. It does say something that anyone is comfortable enough in their environment to leave such a message. If I had to call that man and heard that message, I would have been highly offended and he would have to get a Spanish to English dictionary that had ALL the words in it to decipher the remarks I would make to him on that very same machine.

January 26, 2009 at 11:45 a.m.
  • Dang...there sure seem to be a bunch of thin skinned people on this site today. Some people just go looking for something to be offended by.

January 26, 2009 at 11:38 a.m.
  • the same freedom of speech that allows long to spew his racist message, allows me to speak spanish or french or portuguese when i want, as i want

January 26, 2009 at 11:27 a.m.
  • RE: notme

You asked four questions.

1) Should a man lose his freedom of speech because he is elected to office?
    Mr. Long made the recording ‘so his freedom of speech was never in jeopardy..Freedom of speech does not guarantee a positive or no response.

2) Should a man give up his convictions..That is vague but if you are referring to Mr. Long’s objecting to anyone speaking a foreign language…Did he empathize that in his campaign and did he offer a “what you see is what you get “policy?..I have no idea but I suspect he didn’t…I always thought a politician with principles and a conviction was one that had a safe seat.

3) Should a man be crucified because he made a bonehead mistake? That’s for the voters of Goliad to decide.

4) Is this nothing more than politics? You answered your own question by saying OH YEAH but I think it has some legitimacy.

Now Freedom of Speech is closely related to others rights…Perhaps you should look up the hurt or harm principal…In fact ask your employer about your freedom of speech..:)

January 26, 2009 at 11:02 a.m.
  • This Spanish anagram, wasn’t it handed down to you people by your Spanish speaking Mexican forefathers? No, I didn’t learn that in 12 years of White History Month. And your beloved Col Fannin, do you know that portrait of him you worship at La Bahia (pronounced in English) is really a portrait of Samuel Morse.

Good Grief, The VA needs to take this thread down. You’re getting your panties all caught up ……… never mind.

January 26, 2009 at 8:54 a.m.
  • Schroeder has, for years been our secret embrrasment. There are some really good people that reside there, however, ever since Stroman High School went 9th grade, some of the "homes on wheel" crowd migrated to Goliad County in hopes of seeking a better way of racism. Those of us who know Mr. Long know what he's about. Ted, not for one minute was bothered by the fact that he was "outted", Ted is more concern as to which of his friends called the media. Unless Ted represents you, most people in Goliad do not have a reason to call him. Everyone who lives in Schroeder knew about that message, including the sheriff. Which, by the way if that is not his style, I'm curious as to what is his style of racism. Isn't that the cry of racist when they proclaim that they're not? What's crazy is that all of this nonsense is directed at the president. Those are the same people that will prosper from the president's plan to get us out of this mess. Unless of course, your income is 250K or more. Even when prosperity comes around again, the racists that will benifit from it will not afford him the credit. If all is true, I should not be in this situation because I'm a white man, and hearing other low income whites flaunting their ignorance is really the joke of the day.

January 26, 2009 at 12:12 a.m.
  • Victorianbybirth must be a product of some inter-family marriage who listens to wacko radio-radicals. Only ignorant people believe that money in this great country of ours is going only through African American hands. But then I guess the fact that Obama is half white has escaped him/her. This is a great country when citizens can make such outrageous remarks and not have heavy boots come in the night. Too bad you really don't love this country to think like you do.

January 25, 2009 at 11:46 p.m.
  • TrueOmniscience, what kind of degree do you have ?

January 25, 2009 at 11:44 p.m.
  • Try Again. Debby??Kathy??Susan??

January 25, 2009 at 10:48 p.m.
  • I personally would rather have someone with convictions to represent me than a moral coward and a liar. At least he was big enough to admit his mistake and attempt to rectify the situation.

January 25, 2009 at 10:46 p.m.
  • Used to be, the FBI only accepted those with law degrees, ie; lawyers. Guess they too have lowered their standards.

Don't know why you people are all up in arms over a persons home answering machine message when Obamas top people are trying to find a way to inject 3 trillion dollars into our economy & not have it touch any white mans hands. Thats just outright, in your face, racism there.

January 25, 2009 at 10:42 p.m.
  • 6 words Commissioner Long

WHAT ON EARTH WERE YOU THINKING?

January 25, 2009 at 10:42 p.m.
  • Should a man lose his freedom of speech because he is elected to a public office? I think not!
    Should a man give up his convictions because he is elected to public office? I think not!!
    Should a man be crucified because he made a bonehead mistake? I think not!
    Is this whole thing nothing more than POLITICS? OH YEAH!!!!

Right Harold,Robert,Mike?

January 25, 2009 at 10:40 p.m.
  • Omniescience-Let me guess...this is the degree Brumbly has, correct?? Chemistry won't help you when they ask you simple law enforcement questions. Ugh, Ugh, let me ask my wife to look that up for me.Those answers are in those "worthless" law enforcement books.

Too funny!!

January 25, 2009 at 10:26 p.m.
  • If you want to see people in action, attend Commissioners Court, every 2nd and 4th Monday of each month. Begins at 9am. Then draw your own opinions.

That is TRULY the only way to see the TRUTH.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” Edmund Burke

January 25, 2009 at 10:25 p.m.
  • notme-I'll do just that. I don't think Goliad has many "Debbie Fosters" running around their small town! If I'm mistaken, I'll definitely admit to it and apologize for the misinformation! For now, I'll delete my previous comment.

January 25, 2009 at 10:01 p.m.
  • Hey Harold OOPS I mean formergoliadresident ----- oh never mind

friendofgoliad check your facts about Ms. Foster's family!!

January 25, 2009 at 9:32 p.m.
  • Alvam48-agree totally with you

JoeKnowsNothing-the advocate obviously felt his opinion mattered for them to have contacted him. Maybe everyone was too chicken to speak up and he wasn't. People need to follow in his footsteps. As far as sheriff's not earning their badges...maybe not some, but DeLaGarza not only had his bachelor's in Criminal Justice, but he'd also served as Constable for 5 years previous to becoming Sheriff. A Master peace officer's license, the highest you can earn, also shows he continued to earn his badge.

You have a lovely town goliad...but speak up. Don't let this type of behavior represent your county.

January 25, 2009 at 9:11 p.m.
  • Sie sind lustige Leute.

January 25, 2009 at 8:35 p.m.
  • It is sad that so many individuals refuse to admit the racist tones of this situation. Although many individuals continue this ignorant behavior in time you will all be gone and a multi-racial United States of America consisting of your own children and those of other backgrounds will forget your ways.

January 25, 2009 at 8:35 p.m.
  • salaza:: You read it, that is funny enough. I really don't care either way, but the majority of people on this site are mules, and get worked up real easy. Kind of like you, no? Por que?

January 25, 2009 at 8:22 p.m.
  • “speaking a language other than English … in their ignorant face”
    So being ignorant of a second or more languages makes you people smart?
    Good Lord, people outside your hillbilly heaven read this stuff.

January 25, 2009 at 6:54 p.m.
  • I wish someone would call my house speaking a language other than English. In fact, I long for it, just so I can hang up in their face. Ha. Don't like it? Don't call. Very simple.

January 25, 2009 at 5:42 p.m.
  • Commissioner Ted Long is an embarrassment to Goliad County and should be removed from office. A public official is suppose to be a leader, a person with integity, not be impartial or biased and one who serves without regard to what language someone speaks. Commissioner Long made a choice to leave a message on his answering machine that is highly offensive and unacceptable. What kind of public official does this? This type of mentality is no longer tolerated! And for those who agree with Commissioner Long, you are in the same league as he is-no mentality and no regard for other languages other than English. In plain English words, "You are ignorant idiots".

It has been said by those who attend the Commissioner Court meetings in Goliad, that Commissioner Long, looks at John Caldwell, his mentor, for approval on how he should vote-either yes, no or abstain from voting. Commissioner Long is not a leader but instead a follower.

Biased and prejudice people should not serve in public office.

January 25, 2009 at 2:20 p.m.
  • What a bunch of crybabies. Typical of Goliad. Delagarza has some nerve even opening his mouth. He served himself for 8 years at the taxpayers expense while the whole time playing personal games with the badge he cant stand not wearing anymore. Political office holders are people too. Most of em have personal issues which they try to resolve by gaining an office. Makes em feel powerful.This includes the lowly commissioners all the way to the white house.Those we elect to office no longer answer to those who elected them as representatives of the people. The people now answer to the office holders. Sheriffs and commssioners are the worst of em all. Look at how they change once they get a badge that they never earned pinned on their chests. Commissioners turn into SOBs instead of the good ol boy you used to know. Its a power trip. See ya at the polls.

January 24, 2009 at 10:36 p.m.
  • Assuming because I am from Victoria that I am mexican & potentially an anchor baby is extremely offensive & racist.

January 24, 2009 at 10:17 p.m.
  • Incoming comments from the community speak volumes. Don't be misled, citizens. Pay attention. Is this what our county gov't has become?

January 24, 2009 at 9:29 p.m.
  • Lots can be said for the generic message that comes with all answering machines. Electronic voice, just leave a message at the tone. No frills, no problems.

January 24, 2009 at 9:23 p.m.
  • Hmm....Deep breath...

"Not me"-probably no one who'd heard the message up til recently was offended. You are who your friends are. Most of his friends probably did think it was funny. Seems like someone called for "business" reasons and could not believe their ears. Spread like a wild fire.

"goliad grandma"-people need to be reminded of their mistakes in elections so they don't repeat them.

"Kennwwb"-8 YEARS of news with the old sheriff's administration is going to seem pale in comparison to this new guy it seems.

In the first two WEEKS I've heard (all rumors of course-don't want to get deleted)an inmate being released last week by mistake, civil rights violations, accidents, currently using a violent offender as a trustee, confidentiality violations reported to the state,etc.

The advocate doesn't have to go anywhere else for news. They are making it EASY on them!!!LOL

Good Night.

January 24, 2009 at 9:21 p.m.
  • Damn smart man, we need more people in office that that.

January 24, 2009 at 8:19 p.m.
  • Trueomniscience::   Lol. good one.

January 24, 2009 at 8:17 p.m.
  • is it true???

African Embassy to be built in Goliad County to offer help for the Swahili people---lol Just VOTE the guy out--its that simple

January 24, 2009 at 6:20 p.m.
  • This is all just the start of another political season in Goliad County. The "ins" lost and are afraid of losing even more in 2010. This will be forgotten before then. People (voters) have very short memories. Look at Bill and Hillary.

January 24, 2009 at 6:17 p.m.
  • GEE if it is such a big deal I wonder why it was never mentioned from July 08 thru January 21 09?????????????? SURELY someone has heard it!!!!!

January 24, 2009 at 5:03 p.m.
  • Answer me why these same people re-elect Rep. Morrison who bill raise tuition at state.......

Oops wrong thread, lol

January 24, 2009 at 3:16 p.m.
  • What else do you expect from a county of what? Seven, eight thousand?  Racist? Don't know him, can't say. A wonderful role model and village idiot. The whole burro. And the other way around .
    Who says this isn't front page news? Look at the number of comments! lol

January 24, 2009 at 3:01 p.m.
  • I think the message is demeaning, but I never had a reason to call this person. Since this message was on the Commissioner's private line, I do not think the citizens of Goliad should take it personally. However, I do feel that this message is somewhat of a reflection of the Commissioner's character.

A county representative is obligated to refrain from any behaviors that might reflect badly on the held position until he or she no longer employs this position.

January 24, 2009 at 2:09 p.m.
  • Hey...:)
    I like your avatar RR

January 24, 2009 at 1:25 p.m.
  • I am dismayed at all of the comments supporting Mr. Long's VERY poor judgement in placing such a negative message on his home answering machine (which he DOES receive calls from residents relative to his position as Commissioner - so the "personal message machine" doesn't apply here).

As far as the so called "wonderful" job he does, IF you ever attended any Commissioners Court meetings, you would know that Mr. Long ABSTAINS every time a vote is called for! He must not realize that an "abstention" vote is counted WITH the majority?*&% How stupid is that? If he doesn't want to vote in favor of something, then shouldn't he be man enough to vote "NO" ON THE RECORD?

As far as being newsworthy, this kind of stuff only scratches the surface of the ignorant, hurtful, and yes racial activities that go on each and every day in Goliad!

January 24, 2009 at 11:32 a.m.
  • Of course as citizens of Goliad county, we must remember that the Advocate will need something to write about to keep the county in the news now that we have a new sheriff in town. If you remember all the stories in the past 8 years with prisoners being allowed to visit our local stores in street clothes using cash for purchases, prisoners driving county vehicles with expired/revoked licenses, convicted felons being allowed to participate in city and county projects (including at least one convicted sex offender), then you will realize that the Advocate will probably need to manufacture news for our county. As for Mr. Long's answering machine message, the first sentence of the story says it all "The message on Goliad County Commissioner Ted Long's home phone answering machine Friday was:"... The key words here are HOME PHONE. This is not a county owned phone line or answering machine. It is his home phone! As citizens of this great nation, we are given certain rights under our wonderful Constitution and Bill of Rights. One of the foremost of these rights is the right to Freedom of Speech. Mr Long has every right to have his answering machine message say what he wants it to. For the Advocate to even write this as a "News Story" is highly questionable although it has caused quite a stir in this comment log. I, for one, applaud Mr. Long and wish we had more public servants that would speak the truth wherever they go instead of trying to please all of the people all of the time!

January 24, 2009 at 11:30 a.m.
  • From reading this story, some thoughts come to mind:
    Swahili must ONLY be spoken by people who are not Caucasian, otherwise this could not be construed as a racist remark.
    If Caucasians are not allowed to speak Swahili, then Swahili must be a racist language.
    If his original message said Spanish, then why did no one say something THEN??????????
    HOW did this(spanish) message remain as his answering machine message for months without anyone complaining.

Evidently the other members never called or heard the message. IS THERE NO COMMUNICATION BETWEEN THEM?

January 24, 2009 at 10:58 a.m.
  • Is it time for a reminder? Mexican, Spanish, Swahili, American, Puerto Rican and a myriad of other references here are not race. Most of us are mutts, and unfortunately over sensitive mutts. If the message ticks you off you are probably over sensitive but vote the guy out next election if it means that much to you.

January 24, 2009 at 10:47 a.m.
  • I think this guy is a hero. Ho Habla? Call back when you can...Heck, I wonder how many in his district complain about him, but aren't even citizens of this country, pay property taxes, yet drain our local/state/federal resources?

If someone tells you to call back when you can speak the language, don't be offended, be ashamed of yourself. Especially if you've been her more than a year.

January 24, 2009 at 10:42 a.m.
  • For years the US has been known as a melting pot. We welcomed immigrants. They brought their cultures (including food and traditions) and language with them. As we (the US) grew we kept what was the best from each of these and became what we are today. English is our official language. Yes, there are many people who speak other languages and yes we want knew arrivals to feel welcomed, at home and wanted. But, please do not ask me as an American to change my home language. I don't mind learning a few words of a different language, if I traveled out of the US to a country in which a different language was spoken I would expect to have to learn some of that language and their customs. If I moved there I would "give up" much of what I had been raised with (culturally) to fit in. Other countries expect this why don't we.

Yep, a good ol' boy made a comment and it might have hurt somebody's feelings. Welcome to South Texas !! But if it bothered me that much, I'd just leave.

January 24, 2009 at 10:42 a.m.
  • KimberlyKrueger Your “Mexican” is an American. What does his ignorance of Spanish have to do with anything? Your words make it sound like he can be born American, speak English and still be just another Mexican.

Also, Mexico is full White Mexicans with blue eyes.

January 24, 2009 at 10:37 a.m.
  • Do we really have total "freedom of speech"? There have certainly been many politicians recently who have had their reputations ruined because of something they thought they were saying in private and it got out to the public. Say the wrong thing and you can have the Feds on you in a skinny minute. If you think county folks don't call their county commissioners on their home phones about problems in their precinct, think again. They certainly do and this guy knows that. His message whether or not his right, was in bad taste for any public elected official and backfired on him. You just don't do things like that in this day and time.

January 24, 2009 at 10:30 a.m.
  • Thank you Nettie, I totally agree. But the reason these kinds of stories make the paper is because people are always watch for a "racial angle" in Goliad in one direction, but NEVER the other way around. I appreciate the other commissioners being contacted, but attend commissioners court sometime and lets see which ones actually do the job!

January 24, 2009 at 10:28 a.m.
  • Racist is a strong word. But, the world we live in, is not perfect as we all know. Whether Mr. Long is or isn't rascist, i'm not sure. But as a public servant, the man should use his business skills, that keep him in office. Im talking about tact and sensitivity. The world is trying to reach above racial prejudice, but it wont happen overnight,unfortunatly it's hard to teach an old dog a new trick.

January 24, 2009 at 10:21 a.m.
  • Good post more4u
    He is supposed to be a professional and act accordingly.

It is a county answering machine and Mr. Long has temporary ownership.

Most corporations,government offices, or mom and pop business seeking valued customers would not allow a message that even hinted to be off-color.

Yes it was a news worthy story because evidently Mr. Long did not mind if he offended anyone. ...It seems like turnabout is fair play.

January 24, 2009 at 10:15 a.m.
  • mor4U: You are so far away from a comparison....leaving a message that is truly racially prejudiced referring to blacks and whites as your example would in no way be appropriate....asking that people speak English in America is not racially prejudiced.
    I have friends who are American of Mexican descent who will argue that bilingual programs and education actually increase prejudice. There are some that feel this is the white man's way of keeping the brown man down. And when you think about it....even though it is something that many Hispanics demand....it is a disservice to them. Who will get the good job....the person with no accent or the person who can hardly be understood because of a heavy accent.
    This is America people....speak English. My ancestors studied English before they left Germany....they wanted to become citizens when they arrived here and did everything possible to earn that honor. The older ones did speak German at home thus most of the children were bilingual. The children were not, however, allowed to speak German in public or around others who did not speak the language....that was considered inappropriate and rude.
    When the war started all speaking of German ceased....even in the home....it was the family's way of expressing their patriotism and rejection of Germany.
    It would behoove other nationalities to take a lesson from this. This is not Mexico....this is not Viet Nam....this is not China....this is not Germany.... speak English.  If you are bilingual or multilingual more power to you.  Knowing more than one language is admirable and most useful....but if you are truly going to be an American, English has to come first.

January 24, 2009 at 10:04 a.m.
  • Well, since whites are the minority and have been for a long time, where are my government perks? I'd like a government grant for being a minority business owner.

Hakuna matata!

January 24, 2009 at 9:53 a.m.
  • I don,t see anything wrong with his voice message, it's his machine. People are just becomming winer. This is freedon of speech.

January 24, 2009 at 9:51 a.m.
  • Not sure if he's racist or just a big a**h***, but he IS an elected official of the county. Can you imagine hearing:

You have reached the Black House. If you're white please hang up and call back in an hour. You're call has been pushed to the back of the line. If you're black remain on the line and someone will assist you immediately.

Sounds Stupid? I agree.

As far as get ready to be bent over...we haven't come up from George Bush.

Mr. Long and Texas Duck Hunter would feel right at home in Vidor Texas. Wondering if they are looking for a commissioner that will only serve Englih speakers?

Not worthy of the front page? CNN would love this story!

January 24, 2009 at 9:47 a.m.
  • i agree with the commissioner's voice mail. if the wetbacks can have press 2 for mexican language on recordings, why cant us citizens put what we please on our OWN recordings? if you dont like the commissioner's voice mail, go to DC and be with your messiah......

January 24, 2009 at 9:34 a.m.
  • Who gives a CRAP!@?? Why is VCAD even publishing this junk? Man, I am so glad they put a paper on my yard for months, at no-charge (viral marketing), and that I never bit on it. In fact, I still have most of the useless paper in my garage for off chance I have to start a fire, or put down for the cats to pizz on.

January 24, 2009 at 8:52 a.m.
  • Does anyone realize that 85% of East Africans who speak Swahili are WHITE? Look it up. This whole thing is absolutely ridiculous.
    Unazungumza Kiswahili?  Ndio!  Hakuna Matata!
    (Do you speak Swahili?  Yes!  No worries!)

January 24, 2009 at 8:45 a.m.
  • I agree that this isn't "news" per se. But, come on, it does say something about the people that run this county.

It isn't "playing the race card" just to point out that racism is alive and well in Goliad County.

And, btw, Goliad is Goliad in any language. It is an anagram honoring Father Hidalgo. If you don't know who he is, you didn't go to middle school in Texas.

January 24, 2009 at 8:34 a.m.
  • I know that when I call an automated number, when I get the Spanish speaking option, I have no idea what they are saying. For all I know, since I don't speak Spanish, they could be saying, "If you don't speak Spanish, go jump in a lake" or something else equally (or more) offensive. So, how did the message offend anyone? If they spoke English, it didn't apply to them. If they didn't, they didn't know what it said anyway. I wouldn't ever put it on my machine, but I don't find it offensive. It was his home phone, so it really isn't "news".

January 24, 2009 at 8:21 a.m.
  • Mr Long I'm with you my friend. All these whiners that want to pull their race cards need to go to D.C., where your trusty ole new president can put them under his crooked wing. I venture to say that if Mr. Long was black, or mexican (anything but white)this would have never made it to the paper. Get a life, and protect your right to keep and bare arms. Because if your not careful your BLACK (no pun intended, just the truth)President is gonna take them. GOODLUCK!!! Get ready (my true AMERICANS) to be bent over, and we'll have to like it. Because if you complain, it will be racism.

January 24, 2009 at 7:47 a.m.
  • Swahili cultural training 101 -

January 24, 2009 at 7:07 a.m.
  • So a rural Texas county elects a jerk redneck county commissioner. What else is new?

January 24, 2009 at 3:10 a.m.
  • what is Goliad coming too? when the people elected in this county attact the people of this country... Sticks and stones hurt , well Mr. Long just to let you know words hurt too... and you need to learn how to speek with your words. You Mr. Long need to remember that the PEOPLE put you in the office you are in and the PEOPLE can take you out of that office...

January 24, 2009 at 2:49 a.m.
  • Hopefully everyone has figured out not to call the Comm. at home. I'm sure that the Sheriff's Office can find him after hours as needed. Lucky he only works 9-5. Most of the working world doesn't.

January 24, 2009 at 1:42 a.m.
  • If he really thought it was a joke then the joke is on the voters of Goliad county.

January 24, 2009 at 12:42 a.m.
  • VBB:
    I may be wrong but TED LONG did not have an opponent in his election, which was a couple of years ago. These are his words. No one MADE him say those things. That is all his own ignorance. Period.

January 24, 2009 at 12:06 a.m.
  • VBB:Were you really born in Victoria? Did you ancestors really get here legally, or when Victoria was a part of Mexico? Most certainly your ancestors couldn't have been illegal immigrants of Mexico. Habla Espanol? And the Sheriff's skin color couldn't get any more pale.  And when "voices tell you things...evil things" What language do they speak?

January 23, 2009 at 11:59 p.m.
  • How many residents in Ted Long's precinct speak Swahili? Maybe he should have given a menu of Swahili, press 1, German, press 2, Spanish (yeah, right), press 3, etc. Then he could have attempted to be equal to all ethnicities. Maybe "Ted" is Swahili for "that one".

January 23, 2009 at 11:47 p.m.
  • what a rude, nasty person to be in such a powerful position

someone needs to investigate his budget, county car use, county cell phone use, whatever

that's how you take out a rude, ignorant politician

January 23, 2009 at 11:43 p.m.
  • Dancing around the issues definately. The issue here is their candidate lost & now they are pulling out all the stops. Race is a big issue with these people here, calling everyone else racist & members of the KKK, seems they protest too much. Me thinks they are the true racists & are hiding behind their sir names & the sheriffs skin color to throw everyone else off.

January 23, 2009 at 11:43 p.m.
  • I AM SICK AND TIRED OF POLITICALLY CORRECT.

Why is everyone dancing around the true story here....let's put the cards on the table and just say it.

English is the language you should speak primarily if you are in America. I am offended when I call a government office and have to wade through the "Spanish" option.

I am not racist and welcome all LEGAL immigrants; but I do believe that if you come here as a legal immigrant, as my ancestors did....the first thing you should do is learn English....as my ancestors did. If you come here as an illegal immigrant then you don't need to be calling government offices anyway!

January 23, 2009 at 11:31 p.m.
  • Hey Sheriff, are you watching?

January 23, 2009 at 11:24 p.m.
  • Goliad County Resident:

Conservative? Taxpayer's best interest? If we are allowed to make remarks on his character then here are mine..He is not a good person. He is not cute, nor funny. He is an ignorant man with racist ways.(Listen to what he says in his own words and in his friends. Up until this past week he had the word "SPANISH." How could he think that wouldn't offend anyone.)

Freedom of Speech....why aren't all comments allowed to post. Some things just aren't appropriate. Got it people!

P.S.His budget had the biggest increase from all 4 commissioners in the last year. Look it up.

January 23, 2009 at 11:06 p.m.
  • Hope we don't get anymore European immigrants or Asian immigrants here. No one will be able to effectively meet their needs. Here in Goliad, English is the official County language. No more tacos, enchiladas, kolaches, kiolbasa, chop suey, tortillas, salsa... do ya get it?

January 23, 2009 at 11:06 p.m.
  • Poor Ted. He didn't mean anything. !BS! Comm. Long's precinct is predominantly elderly German people. What do you think if some of his constituants had called him at home and heard that message with "Swahili" replaced with "German"? All hell would break loose if the Hispanic Comm's had a "Spanish" option on their phone, even though the majority of their constituancy is Hispanic, Mexican, and BILINGUAL. Judge Gleinser is a very smart man, speaks fluent German, Spanish, English, and probably 2 or 3 other languages. Wonder how long it takes to get a Spanish-speaking dispatcher at the Jail? Heaven forbid we get any Czechs. What will happen? OH MY!!! And Polish? What will we do????

January 23, 2009 at 10:39 p.m.
  • Hey folks, I'm not speaking for this guy but don't we agree that if you can't speak english you should be, at least, trying to learn? This is a land of immigrants but english is the national language? Correct? This guy just has a sick sense of humor..

January 23, 2009 at 8:42 p.m.
  • Honestly, if you dont want to hear his message, then dont phone his home.
    Another thing, I have heard the County Judge make "off color sexist remarks" and no one has him on TV or in the newspaper.
    Ted Long is a good man, a conservative commissioner, and he truly is looking out for the taxpayer.
    Is this message any different than any other ethnic group speaking their native tongue (language) around another ethnic group that doesnt understand what is being said?
    Wise up people, this is AMERICA and Freedom of Speech is still alive.
    This is politically motivated as everything else this year has been.

January 23, 2009 at 7:51 p.m.
  • Whether anyone finds it offensive or not is up to them, but he is an elected official who should show more common sense, cause he does use his home phone for county business, whether he admits it or not. By the way, this is the same person who has publically stated that he does not recognize the Texas flag, and if you go to commissioners court, he does not recite the Texas pledge. It's time for a change folks!

January 23, 2009 at 7:43 p.m.
  • I don't really get it, how many people in Goliad county are Swahili anyway?
    The only person that I know of that even speaks Swahili was LT. Ohuruu ( don't know about the spelling) on Star Trek.

So who is Swahili that is upset about this? If I remember right Swahili is a dialect that is spoken by a very small group of people and no they are not all errr, for lack of a better word, dark skinned.

January 23, 2009 at 7:06 p.m.
  • Hey stupid,
    How do you say Goliad in English?

January 23, 2009 at 7:05 p.m.
  • "Long said the recording was meant to be a joke and not to offend anyone."

What Mr. Long may not understand is that these type jokes do offend a number of people. As a caucasian I am guilty of passing on jokes that are not "politically correct", but I am trying to remove that type of humor from my daily encounter with others, because it is the right thing to do. I have good friends, family members, etc.. that I love very much and care for, and they are from all different ethnic backgrounds and I would not say or pass on this type of humor to them and chance hurting their feelings or cause them to be angry at me. I believe this is even more important to avoid if you are in a position of authority or a public servant, regardless of your race.

January 23, 2009 at 6:17 p.m.