Comments

• Dustin,

Just realize that many of your detractors in here are well know police groupies. They are invested in the delusion that cops do no wrong.

May 8, 2009 at 5:20 p.m.
  • A little tip to everyone on this blog or post. If you get pulled over don't TALK to the COP about anything other than information pertaining to the pullover. Under the US Constitution and Texas Constitution the only thing you HAVE to tell him is only information about the reason why he stopped you.

For example : Say the cop here in Victoria pulls you over for speeding and he walks up to your car and says " hi do you know the reason why I pulled you over sir"? Your answer should always be no why did you pull me over. NEVER admit guilt becuz everything you say and do is being audibly/visually recorded. The cop is for the city and making money for them not to PROTECT you. If he asks why you were speeding all you gotta answer is I always have my car on cruise control and and was not speeding. If hes says where were you headed to you DON"T have to answer. You only have to answer things regarding to the speeding. REMEMBER cops are not helping you with anything for pulling you over or giving you a "break" they are giving you a ticket to pay the citys bills plain and simple. ALSO if you ever get arrested NEVER I MEAN NEVER talk. THEY will hold EVERYTHING you say against you even if your INNOCENT. THIS MAN WAS innocent but you wanna know why hes been locked up for months. CUZ HE TALKED TO THE COPS. The 1st and only thing you say is you invoke your RIGHT TO remain silent and want access to a lawyer.

This is not a anticop post this is a post to help people understand there rights when dealing with cops.

May 8, 2009 at 4:28 p.m.
  • Eyewitness Misidentification

May 8, 2009 at 1:16 p.m.
  • Mader, must you always be so unpleasant and rude?

I provided a link to a story in the American-Statesman today. If you are too lazy to read it, I will copy and paste a couple of lines from the story.

""The Justice Project report also said faulty eyewitness identification played a role in more than 75 percent of the 223 exonerations using DNA in the country, making mistaken witness identifications the leading cause of wrongful convictions nationally."

it is "embarrassing and shameful that they are only now coming into modern criminal jurisprudence."

As noted earlier, the story may be found at

May 8, 2009 at 1:12 p.m.
  • zorro, zorro, zorro....

Where ever did you get your "facts" about the "The HUGE number of wrongful convictions", or that when cops make a mistake, "it inevitably leads to perjury by them"?

People are more likely to consider what you say is credible if you identify which of your comments are opinion and which are provable facts. Otherwise your remarks tend to be seen as obviously untrue, uninformed or even irrational.

May 8, 2009 at 12:54 p.m.
  • The huge number of wrongful convictions are changing the way police do photo lineups. There is a story today in the Austin American-Statesman about how APD is developing photo lineup policies.

May 8, 2009 at 11:32 a.m.
  • It scares the bejusus out of a lot of us out here that when the cops get it wrong they are too proud to admit they are wrong. Then along the way it inevitably leads to perjury by them.

Pride Goes before a Fall

May 8, 2009 at 10:37 a.m.
  • Actually, it says they dropped all charges since the evidence does not show him. So, he is not a suspect. I just feel sad for these two months that the cops "assumed" they had the right person while the true criminal is probably safe in hiding.

May 8, 2009 at 8:57 a.m.
  • This is true, it does say that. I stand corrected if that is indeed the case.

May 8, 2009 at 8:54 a.m.
  • maybe he still IS a suspect....like they are saying it is still "under investigation"

May 7, 2009 at 10:33 p.m.
  • I see my post was deleted. All I asked was why the VICAD still referred to him as a suspect and posted his mug shot again. I agree with exresident in that it wasn't nearly close enough to be an apology for smearing his name and picture in the newspaper. Quit deleting my comment VicAd and do something right for a change.

May 7, 2009 at 3:46 p.m.

May 7, 2009 at 1:40 p.m.

May 7, 2009 at 1:37 p.m.
  • oh yeah and whats the credability of an informants story....informants are usually other criminals who will tell cops anything they WANT to hear, just so they can get off with their crime.

May 7, 2009 at 1:36 p.m.

May 7, 2009 at 1:31 p.m.
  • It depends "when in April" did they get the DNA evidence returned that was not a match ? He matched the original description, scent line or not. Informant told police he had been buying cocaine with cash when he didn't have a job. Drugs/cocaine were found during a subsequent search of his resident. Sounds to me like there is some guilt there, not totally innocent.

May 7, 2009 at 12:47 p.m.
  • Another thing, REAL pd's set up a lineup immediately after the woman been seen by a doctor and a rape kit has been used. NOT 3 MONTHS LATER!!!

Ok, I see the drug stuff now. Don't know why I missed it the first time.

May 7, 2009 at 10:35 a.m.

May 7, 2009 at 10:31 a.m.
  • Why call him inncocent when he was guilty of possesion of drugs? Innocent of the rape charge, maybe. He was off the streets and I am glad. My family, not only mine but my extended family may have a few tickets for speeding, but thats it. We are law abiding citizens. Hard to believe nowadays, but there are some left, hvilletx.

May 7, 2009 at 9:59 a.m.
  • oh justamom please i'm sure your family isn't perfect...so he had drugs (thats what they claim) lets try and make him guilty on another charge, they really just need to leave this guy alone already. Do you know how many ppl are using/ selling drugs now a days? your co workers, your neighbors, your friends and who knows maybe your kids so don't start talking about him. the point is they had no cases against him on the assault charges so they had to release him... does that make you angry? people need to look at their own lives before they judge others, we all have our faults. now lets all be happy for calvin, he's free from all the rumors and gossip that he's been exposed to. I think he deserves an apology & compensation for his incarceration and humiliation.

May 7, 2009 at 3 a.m.
  • Oops, that is if the evidence isn't throw out.

Find drugs while searching for evidence of a theft and sexual assault?

Yeah I know, it should be that way but legally it isn't.

May 6, 2009 at 6:45 p.m.
  • He already has two months served, sounds like probation for his punishment.

May 6, 2009 at 6:41 p.m.
  • Justifiable????JustaMom... In other words its okay to falsley accuse a man of rape based on dogs that have been proven wrong in the other miscarriage of justice (Blackwell- Buchanek case) because it is reported that he possessed cocaine. What if Officer Pikett and the hounds had come to your house based on the "scent line"???? It's obvious the authorities had their minds made up early on. Somebody "Google" this guy (Keith Pikett) and see how reliable and renowned the dogs are, and then go read the lawsuit file against the defendants in the Buchanek / O'Connor lawsuit at the federal courthouse. The point is don't use faulty methods in investigating these terrible assault/robbery cases and then act like your doing the man a favor when it becomes obvious you've got the wrong individual. And yeah...IF he's proven guilty of drug possession, then punish him accordingly.

May 6, 2009 at 6:34 p.m.
  • He wasn't "innocent" people. He had a drug charge of cocaine. So he was off the streets not stealing or robbing to buy his cocaine, or selling it to anyone else. Seems justifiable to me.

May 6, 2009 at 6:11 p.m.

May 6, 2009 at 5:39 p.m.
  • when you think of a small town pd totally screwing up an investigation, this is what you imagine

May 6, 2009 at 3:37 p.m.
  • Stupid stupid stupid. Now find some way to fully clear his name after posting his picture all over the paper when he was picked up VicAd. We said it was wrong then and now that he is free and innocent, it is still wrong looking back. Think next time. Remember the caliber of our local police force before assuming they have the right person.

May 6, 2009 at 3:26 p.m.
  • Hummm.....dogs got it wrong here just like they got it wrong in the Blackwell case. Makes you wonder...

May 6, 2009 at 6:50 a.m.
  • well like i said before ,bout yoakum-5-0s jelly eating doughnuts boys ,all of you that wanted to take credit for his arrest ,have better have a good lawyer,an a big bank account, cause i see a law suit a coming, i see see the rev jesse jackson, rev al sharpion, ophan winfery, an the naacp all coming to this fellows rescue,oh an the lady who said her husband who works for the y.p.d. an said that he didn,t jelly doughnuts,hope you have a good paying job so you also can help pay his lawsuit., looks to me yoakum city council needs to clean house,for the embarrassment y.p.d. has done .,starting from the top ,down to the bottom.

May 6, 2009 at 3:52 a.m.
  • its so sad his life was so impacted by these charges and the man was innocent. I wonder if he will get a public apology. How does a innocent person recover from being in jail 2+ months. I am glad he is cleared because like I told all those trash talkers when he was first arrested that I went to school with that man and could not see him doing such a crime.

May 6, 2009 at 12:30 a.m.
  • I am so happy for Calvin, he remained in jail on these charges calmly since March...had that been me and I knew I was innocent I would've been talking S*** everyday...lol Now I hope the counties involved in these cases have learned from their mistakes and get on the job and find the real criminal who commited this crime. Bless you and your family Calvin

May 6, 2009 at 12:06 a.m.