Comments

• We,, Txex, there's your first mistake - assuming they WERE thinking.

April 14, 2010 at 11:29 a.m.
  • I heard Bridgette Bise on the radio this morning. This advertising campaign is very ill-conceived. What is our chamber thinking?

April 14, 2010 at 10:41 a.m.
  • Ex, In theory we do agree. Right now I have a yard full of Oak pollen, not from my tree. I also bagged up 25 42 gal bags full of leaves, again not from MY tree. It annoys me no end, but there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. I was awoken this morning at 7:30am by someone on the street behind me idling their Harley for 30+ minutes & the revving the engine for what seemed an eternity, but what really can I do? They changed the formulation of Draino, so there goes that option, so what else can one do but grouse & complain? Nothing unfortunately.

April 10, 2010 at 10:48 a.m.
  • ex, if I could live in a bubble I would, unfortunately I don't have that option. My neighbors are often found tap dancing on my last nerve & theres not much I can do about it. Is it annoying? Most def. Is it something I can control? Not at all (which is horrible for a control freak like me!). Sometimes we just gotta put up with life.

April 9, 2010 at 11:14 p.m.
  • Edith Ann, the festival would have to be over by 9pm otherwise the townfolk get kinda grumpy. The cops would have a field day!

April 9, 2010 at 6:30 p.m.
  • $750,000 from the city! This is plain criminal. The entire city council ought to be thrown in jail for doing something so ridiculous. This is nuts.

Bring a 4 wheel drive monster truck when you come, because we can't afford to fix the pot holes in our beautiful streets either!

April 9, 2010 at 6:21 p.m.
  • Edith Ann, and we could have Beer Belly contest (as opposed to wet t-shirt contests) and beer nuts eating contest.

If we wanted to stick strictly to the boot theme: Dirtiest boots, biggest boots, shiniest boots, gaudiest boots, etc.

Wow, I do miss being "Miss Armadillo"; maybe I could dust off my crown and cape and lend it to "Miss Boot Scoot Boogier of Victoria" when she's crowned. I woudn't mind, so much. In fact, I'd get a big kick out of it.

April 9, 2010 at 10:46 a.m.
  • Here's a thought---

Let's have "Boot-Leg Days" around the 4th of July.
    Hartman Distributing could sponsor and the finale could be the fireworks.

There could be a beer brew-off, a beer drinking contest, and a beer can stacking skills contest.

April 9, 2010 at 9:56 a.m.
  • Okay, is anyone clicking on the fact that this venture is benefitting businesses OUTSIDE of Vicitoria?

Why isn't someone screaming about what is probably a huge chunk of change going to an advertising firm in Tennessee? There are no ad agencies in Victoria? Wow! I had no idea.

And if anyone does latch onto the silly idea of handing out boots to potential business owners and straight A students at UHV, an out of town bootmaker benefits from that.

So, Victoria benefits from this how? VEDC, what they say about you looks like it could be true...

April 9, 2010 at 9:35 a.m.
  • "You can wear your boots to do just about anything in Victoria. Its friendly people, historic sites, good food and NIGHT LIFE is custom made for any visitor."
    From the website...emphasis mine on night life....somebodys pants are definately on fire!

April 8, 2010 at 9:15 p.m.
  • I typed in Joseph Lucchesse and up popped the press release about Victoria's press release. OMG Victoria has made the internet and guess what, it was free!!! No where in the article does it state how much this cost Victoria.

I've copied part of the article...you can check out the complete press release, if you want.

The "Bring Your Boots" concept was conceived in December 2009 when a focus group of Victoria residents and business owners unanimously agreed the boots concept made sense for Victoria. Then, CVB took steps to trademark "Bring Your Boots!" Joseph Lucchese, founder of Lucchese Boots and internationally renowned custom boot manufacturer and designer who was born in Victoria, agreed to design and manufacture an exclusive Victoria boot for men and women. Many other ideas have developed including Flip cameras for visitors to post what they did in their boots, unique boot prizes for city and plant employees and planters to line the streets of downtown.

The goal is to bring more people to Victoria to discover all the things to do. Few cities the size of Victoria enjoy such an array of activities and entertainment venues, including a symphony, ballet, theatre, community college, a four year university, five museums, a zoo and a rich and vibrant history. The Victoria CVB wants Texans to head to Victoria- and bring their boots!

April 8, 2010 at 9 p.m.
  • Oh, brand is the wrong word, what you're looking for is a gimmick to bring people in, nobody really cares about "brands" when traveling, they are looking for attractions/entertainment.

April 8, 2010 at 8:22 p.m.
  • Jared, sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this & are "getting" the underlying "philosophy" of this campaign. Unfortunately most people aren't that "deep" and it's true, deeper meaning is going to be lost. Good luck to you though...hope this campaign works out for y'all!

The San Antonio/Austin corridor has everything Victoria has & more....river, lake, oldest dance hall in Texas, real tubing, food, dancing, drinks, etc....boots are optional, I personally prefer flip flops!

April 8, 2010 at 8:18 p.m.
  • All I can do is express my disapointment in the CVB and the new theme for the city's "signature festival". This was a great opportunity to get the people of Victoria involved with and rally around the festival creating great intrest in the festival and the CVB. If this is an example of what the CVB does on their own, my opinion is the City Council needs to exercise more oversight. I do think the majority of the HOT money should be spent bring additional room nights to Victoria. But this ain't going to do it.........I cannot imagine what they were thinking!

April 8, 2010 at 2:51 p.m.
  • I understand Vox. In the presentation I heard, I didn't feel like Victoria was being made into the Boot capital. I felt that it was using the boot to show that Victoria has many venues to partake in if desired. For a small town feel that we have, we have excellent attractions including the theatre, zoo, park, 3 golf courses, 2 lakes nearby, the coast, baseball, and many people that are interested in Victoria.

Again, I think the boot becomes a symbol pointing to something else. The Crossroads as a marketing tool for Victoria is good for certain types of businesses, but it implies you are passing through to somewhere else. Victoria is the destitnation, not just a stop on a journey. I think that is what needs to said, so I like this boot theme.

I am not so much interested in the what the symbol is, but what it points to. The symbol is important and should not be arbitrary, but we need a message behind the symbol, and the boot conveys this message. Maybe not perfect, but I think a good job and one I can get on board with.

April 8, 2010 at 10:36 a.m.
  • I guess some people just don't get it. I'm all for marketing Victoria, but I'm not for marketing Victoria as something it isn't. You said it yourself--the big cities are known for something. They don't even need a brand. Victoria isn't 'known' as the boot capital of Texas, although that's what this campaign would have you believe. Victoria is known as the crossroads, a place with a small-town feel that's close to all the big destinations, but it's not being marketed as such.

This campaign is to attract visitors, which is all good and fine, but I think if their target audience would have been businesses (that could benefit from being located in a crossroads region) it would benefit Victoria much more.

April 8, 2010 at 10:25 a.m.
  • This deal might work if you can do your boot scootin' at the local dance halls. This means having regular mini-bus service between the dance halls at certain times coinciding with the bands and the Victoria hotels and restaurants. That and the Great Comanche Raid is the only draw that other cities may not have.

April 8, 2010 at 10:24 a.m.
  • I guess I could visit the second oldest dance hall in Texas in those cities, wear the boot made for this city alone, visit the historic places that Victoria alone is known for, and interact with local community events in these out of Victoria cities.

Every city can choose any marketing that can be imitated by another. Anywhere in the world you can buy boots, go to dance halls, hike, bike, etc. However, no place can will be visited if there is not some kind of brand. Not having a brand is a brand. I have high hopes for this effort. I realize those bigger cities mentioned have offerings similar, but they are not branded as such. San Antonio is known for its history and Riverwalk, Corpus the beach, Austin live music. Victoria is going for the place where you can wear many different types of boots for the many different venues. The boot becomes a symbol of Victoria's culture.

Even these other cities mentioned brand themselves in ways that other cities can brand and do brand themselves. Memphis has Beale Street like Austin's 6th, California has its own missions, and Galveston has beaches.

April 8, 2010 at 10:08 a.m.
  • That's right Jared...because no one in San Antonio, Houston, Corpus Christi, or Austin wears boots. Also, none of those cities have a place to golf, shop, hike, fish, dance, or listen to country music. This is Texas for crying out loud--this expensive marketing campaign could apply to almost any city in the state!

April 8, 2010 at 7:55 a.m.
  • Long overdue Victoria! We have been in need of a marketing campaign that will differentiate Victoria from our hubs of San Antonio, Houston, Corpus Christi, and Austin. Each of these Victorian suburbs have a niche and now we have one too. You have found what Victoria possesses: dancing, country music, small town values, family and friends and have created a marketing campaign that matches. I stand proud in my Lucchese boots awaiting the Victorian boot.

I congratulate those involved and look forward to supporting the community as we endeavor to show-off some Victoria pride!

April 8, 2010 at 7:42 a.m.
  • In the golf ad...none of the men are wearing boots...odd. What hotel are they using in these ads? I read where there are 20+ hotels in Victoria...they must be counting 6 Flags & the Linden Hill & all the other sleazy dives on 59...the only decent hotel in Victoria is the Hampton. How disappointed people will be when they go to float/paddle on the river to find there isn't any place to rent the needed equipment to float or paddle with.

I don't know...I'm none too good with geometry but Tennesse isn't anywhere near Cuero.

April 7, 2010 at 9:20 p.m.
  • I just saw a "bring your boots" billboard this evening on 59 South several miles out of town. I guess this will attract people who were planning to pass on by but were suddenly apprised of the fact Victoria allows and even encourages the wearing of boots. I would prefer they bring their torches and pitchforks to help us run a few of our central planners out of town. We need to replace our push to "put heads in beds" with a "put heads on politicians" campaign.

April 7, 2010 at 8:47 p.m.
  • Hip waders... not boots. Why on earth was a Tennessee Ad company hired to concock some cock-a-mammy slogan for a Texas city? What do Tennessee folk know about Texans? That we ALL wear boots? NOT! This is ridiculous. This town doesn't even have a decent boot scootin dance hall! This isn't Fort Worth where that slogan could make sense! We need to see a break down of just what that $750 grand is buying! Why would someone from San Antonio, Houston, Galveston, Dallas or Corpus think we might have something they don't?! Heck, this is FALSE advertisement. I'm embarrassed.

April 7, 2010 at 6:03 p.m.
  • If that isn't one of the dumbest ideas I've heard of in a long time. No wonder people refer to this part of Texas as goat rope Texas, this couldn't come across anymore hick town if they had tried. There is a lot more than just boots in Victoria, but by the looks of that ad you sure will fool a lot of people

April 7, 2010 at 4:53 p.m.
  • Not pulling out the race card...but where is the diversity in these pictures? Not surprized! Too bad that some things will never change in this town.

April 7, 2010 at 12:09 p.m.
  • > Hookem1 - "This is an excellent advertising concept!
    > Short ... Simple ... Fun ... Easily remembered ..."

Unfortunately, it's so good, Canada is using it, too.

dont get me wrong I like boots an i like dancing but how about using something unique?

April 7, 2010 at 11:33 a.m.
  • Bring your boots to avoid stepping in this city's bs is more like it. It's actually not the city and its heritage that appauls me, but what local leaders have done or failed to do that has me putting my boots on. Until we fix the fact that our hen house is guarded by the foxes in this county, we will continue to miss the economic boat. A grass roots approach would turn most citizens into walking/talking billboards for Victoria.

April 7, 2010 at 10:14 a.m.
  • ofthepeople,

We are not negative on Victoria, we do not agree with the expenditures that are taking place.

Victoria is a great place to live. But, it is completely ridiculous to think that folks from theose other large cities, and the smaller towns surrounding them are going to flock to Vicitoria for what we have.

exresident said it best: "I disagree. In fact, a number of folks have already pointed out that there are great things going here w/out the need to manufacture some gimmicky lures that, by design, give a false impression of what Victoria is and is not and what Victoria does and does not have.

If outside folks read this, the only thing that would be clear is that the citizens of Victoria are sick of the rip-offs. Frankly, that makes a much more compelling case for living/working/visiting Victoria, to this resident of Austin at least, than any number of funky-colored boot statues.

See, I am the target market, and this whole thing just turns me off."

Again, lots of big promises were made. I'll be waiting to see the result.

And, by the way, do you really think UHV is going to award students with 4.0 GPAs a pair of Lucchese boots? Either very few UHV students make a 4.0 GPA, or the tuition just went up $500.00 to cover additional student services.

April 7, 2010 at 9:59 a.m.
  • What ever happened to the Armadillo Festival "the city boasted years ago"? I wish them the best of luck with this concept.

April 7, 2010 at 9:58 a.m.
  • Well, apparently we are on the Hooter's Golf tour so...

April 7, 2010 at 8:59 a.m.
  • If they "accidentally" changed the word to boobfest we would have a gold mine

April 7, 2010 at 8:57 a.m.
  • So because many of us live here we shouldn't say anything negative about the city? If we didn't care, THEN we wouldn't say anything negative. Besides, I hardly think the comments would turn people off to coming here, especially when they can read all the other wonderful things that happen around here...such as spending $750K for marketing while at the same time cutting funding for museums, symphonies, theatre, and other things that already bring people to town.

I think it would have been sufficient to have one big event each year, spend $100K on it, and let it market itself. Seems to be successful for Yorktown's Western Days, Cuero's Turkeyfest, Luling's Watermelon Thump, etc. Over time that event will take care of all the marketing and branding for Victoria rather than having to spend money on that stuff before the event ever happens.

April 7, 2010 at 8:52 a.m.
  • I just never post anything, but here, I had to say something. It just sounds so negative and that is not what this town is about. People from all over the place read articles on the web and if they read the comments, they would think Victoria was a horrible place to live. It's just not right to talk about your city in that light.

April 7, 2010 at 8:28 a.m.
  • They didn't have to create something out of thin air. Joseph Lucchesse was born here and his company will be making a boot specific for Victoria. And I heard the marketing company is from Cuero, that's not really out of town.
    Positive thinking is what is going to make this town successful.

April 7, 2010 at 8:08 a.m.
  • Wow, $750,000 marketing campaign and now there's not enough money to fully fund all of the entities that this campaign is trying to promote.

I'd really like to see a breakdown of that $750K. And how about something original? Boots? Like you can't go anywhere in Texas and not see boots everywhere? All these other little cities in the area have big events that are tied to something the town is known for, but Victoria has to now become the boot capital of Texas to live up to this campaign. Boot statues all over the city...really?

It's sad that something has to be manufactured out of thin air because no one could find something special in Victoria that already exists.

April 7, 2010 at 7:39 a.m.
  • Why are you all so negative about the town you live in. There are a lot of things to do in Victoria and if anyone says otherwise, I suggest they look at the events on the community calendar, go to the zoo, a baseball game, museum, theater, ect.... Some people want to get away from the big city for their leisure time and come to a friendly smaller town. I hope they do not run into any of you people, or they really won't want to come back!
    Thank you HookEm1 for your positive comments and faith in our community. FYI - There would be no hotel tax available if people were not coming to Victoria and using the hotels!

April 7, 2010 at 6:56 a.m.
  • Victoria is a stop on the Hooters' Golf Tour?

I should have read more closely. Forget what I said--we've hit the big time! Thanks Randy and Bridgette!

April 7, 2010 at 6:06 a.m.
  • Boy, we're sure gonna make some people feel stupid when they show up with their boots on and say "Now what?". Well, if you planned on working hard in those boots, good luck finding a job. Much of our good industry didn't like their tax burden and realized their boots were made for walkin'. If you planned on having a good time in those boots, there's not much here that you couldn't have done where you came from. But while you're here, enjoy our hotel tax that was used to dupe you into being a tourist in Victoria. Yee Haw!

April 7, 2010 at 5:43 a.m.
  • Okay, fine, wear your boots when you come to Victoria, but they probably ought to be rubber boots.

Tell me again why Houston, Austin, San Antonio and Corpus Christi, aka the "Golden Diamond", are going to come to Victoria? For the museums, sporting events, festivals, amusement parks?

Talk about putting the cart before the horse! If we had the attractions to draw folks from the Golden Diamond, this would be much more appropriate.

Well, the clock is ticking. The City Council trusted Bridgette Bise and Randy Vivian with $750,000.00 last October. She stood before City Council and promised results. We'll see...

April 7, 2010 at 5:38 a.m.
  • This is an excellent advertising concept! Short ... Simple ... Fun ... Easily remembered ... Ties the old with the new ... True to the area, past & present ... and it can be applied to almost any situation.

It has no downside and unlimited upside. I say, "Well done, to all involved." I wish you luck with getting it accepted around the town.

April 7, 2010 at 5:29 a.m.
  • do da boot state championships will be here

April 7, 2010 at 12:18 a.m.
  • July isn't boot friendly weather in Victoria...they need to figure out how to get odor eaters to be a corporate sponsor.

April 6, 2010 at 11:19 p.m.
  • this is the dumbest campaign idea ive ever heard of. wow

this stupidity is simply mind numbing.

you want to make victoria better ???

ATTRACT NEW INDUSTRY AND SWEEP OUT THE OLD GUARD.

April 6, 2010 at 11:12 p.m.