Comments

• It looks uninhabitable to me

April 12, 2010 at 11:42 p.m.
  • Correction to the story:
    Sisters Shirley Welker and Karen Pickering are the owners of the home at 607 N. Main St. in Victoria that was demolished Friday and Saturday. They are the daughters of the original owner, Dr. F.J. Krenek, who had the home built in 1928. A story Sunday incorrectly identified the owner of the home and the date it was built.

April 12, 2010 at 5:24 p.m.
  • LDS--

I did some checking today on the financial questions regarding VPI. Here's what I found out.

The info about the 'Property owners can do whatever they want with the property so as long as there are no federal monies attached to the property, according to the register's Web site' is correct, and applies to property and structures across America that are listed on the National Register of Historical Places. This home was not on that register.

Locally, VPI no longer gives any grants. They haven't for quite some time, but when they did, the grants were in the $200.00 to $1000.00 range. Hardly enough to do much with. They were only able to give five to ten grants a year.

Where did VPI get the money? I understand they used to participate in the Palace Bingo Charities, but when the Texas Lottery cut into the Bingo money, VPI parted ways with Palace Bingo. That is about when the grants stopped.

On a side note, I was told that the homes on the tour this year were just beautiful.

April 11, 2010 at 5:55 p.m.
  • How much money is Victoria spending promoting the city ? $750000 for an advertising campaign. The new townhomes that are suppose to go in across from Mcnamara house that are nothing historical. The historical society and the City should work at keeping the city "historical". Not letting anymore buildings slip away forever. The history of Victoria told through its buildings and structures has been limited, with the loss of Denver Hotel and surrounding builds, the old Welder mansion that is no longer. Thank goodness to the owners of places like Fosati's, Rosebud ( the old Biachi's) , the Junior league building and all the buildings that have been part of Victoria's history for a longtime. Savanna , Ga. is a great example of keeping a city beautiful. It has its' modern parts , but in the old, historic area that defined the city for over 200 years , the history has been maintained. Building and remolding codes have been adopted to keep it true to the era. God Bless America , God Bless Victoria , keep them both free and beautiful.

April 11, 2010 at 12:39 p.m.
  • I forgot to ask you, LDS, but was your generosity with using public money to restore La Bahia due to your belief that it is a public property?

You do know that the Catholic Diocese of Victoria owns Presidio La Bahia, don't you? Private property. They charge admission. They sell souveniers. They have a paid staff.

April 11, 2010 at 12:17 p.m.
  • LDS--

Where are you getting that tax dollars are being spent on private property? I disagree, but if you can show me where that is the case, I will reverse my position.

And not everything being preserved is private property.

And the owner of the property pays for any markers placed on the building, I believe.

April 11, 2010 at 11:46 a.m.
  • longdistanceshot,

I don't know if this is exactly right, but there are some grants to assist folks with preserving uniques examples of architectural significance. It comes nowhere close to covering the cost of a complete restoration. They are intended to encourage historical restoration.

These grants are not always tax-payer dollars. Monies for these efforts come from all kinds of foundations, private donations, etc.

Why do we need historical restoration? Because these gems from the past are a part of our history.

Your generosity regarding LaBahia is noted, but if I am not mistaken, that entire restoration was funded by a private individual, namely Kathryn Stoner O'Connor. Lots of folks with the means choose to support efforts just like this.

April 11, 2010 at 11:07 a.m.
  • What a shame! That was a really cool house.

April 11, 2010 at 11:03 a.m.
  • onestar,

You're right. I do remember seeing that. But something was telling me they may have been somewhere else at one time, but I can't recall where.

April 11, 2010 at 10:28 a.m.
  • Edithann

If you look on the Goodwin street entrance to the county building there is a sign "Victoria Preservation Inc." They must have thier offices there.

April 11, 2010 at 10:21 a.m.
  • onestar,

I really have no clue. As I indicated, this is kind of confusing, and yeah, maybe the Advocate could check this out. I was thinking a 'look, see' for clarification; you said investigate. Do you think there is something funky going on? But wouldn't you think that everything was completely kosher between a non-profit and the County?

I don't know what the tax status of VPI is. I figured they were a 501(c) [or whatever that non-profit thingy is], in which case they may be allowed to be housed in a county building. I am just not up on that stuff. Are you concerned that they may not be paying rent? How much space might we be talking about?

I have heard that when you call VPI, the phone rings in the Bell building. I don't know if that is true, but VPI's address in the phone book is 205 W. Goodwin. The big Bell building is 205 N. Bridge. So the little Bell building may be 207?

Good question, though, and again, certainly an indication that folks may not know where to go for what they are looking for.

Maybe a little clarification is in order here. Advocate, how about it?

April 11, 2010 at 10:13 a.m.
  • Edithann

I have a question about Victoria Preservation Inc.. Can a private corporation be given free office space in in a county building? Can the directior be given free office space and telephone etc? And if not how long has this been going on.

Maybe the Advocate can investigtate this

April 11, 2010 at 9:53 a.m.
  • Isn't Gary Dunnam the Victoria County Heritage Director?

Is Victoria Preservation, Inc. co-housed in the old Bell building where the County Archives and Dunnam's office are? Is this the same thing, or is this two different things, VPI and the County Heritage office? If the County archives are in the Bell building with Gary Dunnam, what is Val Huvar watching over at the County Clerk's office?

This is a bit confusing.

Maybe the Victoria Advocate, as a public service, could spotlight different city and county offices and titles and explain what that person or agency is responsible for. Could happen in a little box on page A2 every Sunday. Might save some folks a few phone calls to the wrong place. Could be a very helpful spot.

I always loved this house. Sad to see it go.

April 11, 2010 at 9:19 a.m.
  • Victoria~ Fix your streets.
    They are worth preserving!

April 11, 2010 at 9:13 a.m.
  • WHY NOW JON RIGGS? $$$

April 11, 2010 at 7:29 a.m.
  • That's progress!

April 11, 2010 at 5:38 a.m.