Comments

• If anyone is “really” worried about the bad guys getting away. Then tell the prosecutor to stop “making deals”. Since the drug war began, district attorneys have been making deals, to get the bigger fish. I think we all know how that has worked out. Until then, the argument that criminals will get tipped of, is crap!

Those arguments are like a husband telling his wife he will never cheat with women again, while he is making love to a women in bed, crap!

Anyone with half a brain, know that if you give up someone, you will get reduced time. That is why so many guys come in and then check out. Why communities in Victoria will never get rid of those that threaten their lives, because it’s not about ending crime; it’ about making money.

How many more officers are added each year, hmm? I guess, that’s one way to get a job. I know a lot of damn good officers, but I also know a lot of crap heads, who just like “bullying others”.

Yeah, they can do whatever they want, but everything has consequences, that’s “behavioral science“. Secrecy, is empowering, which feeds the egos of those who’s ego is already big enough. Many of my officer friends have no problem with scanners, and know the “rotating door” system. Those that do, well, I know why.

Please, if you want to stop crime in Victoria, then stop making deals and putting them back on the street. You think that’s going to happen, that’s what I thought, play deception games with someone that doesn’t know the skinny.

April 26, 2010 at 5:32 p.m.
  • Let's not forget- law enforcement already has secure channels that no one else can listen too. So the whole criminals listening argument is mute. Think they are listening - go to a secure channel. Think you are above public scrutiny - encrypt all your channels.

April 24, 2010 at 10:52 p.m.
  • someone said something about bad cops well I agree with them there are bad cops but a scanner won't help cause they are not going to tell what they did or what they are doing . If they are where they shouldn't be who is going to know . on the scanner you only here what they transmite not where they are and there is no television to see what they are doing right ot wrong . Some time ago I ran out ot gas in town and I gave a cop 10 dollars to get me some gas I had children in the car and couldn't leave them alone so I put my trust on a cop guess what I never saw him or my money nor the gas . Some cops have no pride they are just as bad as the criminals they call scom . And a scanner didn't help me now a C-B is a different story That can help sometimes better then a cell phone because you always have a signal . you never know who is on the other side it could be a bad cop . But I have met alot of cops that are good cops and they have a heart and pride and I have met some that are races so iether way god protect us and pray that the cop you meet is a kind one and god bless and protect good ones .

April 24, 2010 at 9:54 p.m.
  • If the scanners go silent thats fine alot of people may not like it but , I think the criminals like much less .
    I just wish that when something is happening the tv station or even the radio station would really inform us . So we won't be in the dark . Like when we had that big flood in 98 that the our local tv station was showing a football game while some people were being being plucked off there roofs . And where were the reporters and the news station . I have to thank chanel 5 news out of San Antonio , who I feel did a wonderfull job they were the ones that found us and got us help . Victoria informs about things that happen in california and New york what about VICTORIA everything that happens in Victoria is important to us . And we depend on them to report those events to us . That would make alot of people happy . if the scanners were running that day which I'm sure they were alot of people didn't hear them cause , us they were trying to get out of harms way . We were told by other people that the police were going to some streets calling out and knocking on doors telling people to leave , but no one came down our street . we lived in the country and worked in the country so the local station was our only way of knowing what was going on but they were televising a football game . when we found out it was by way of chanel 5 in San Antonio . Victoria station felt it was more important to show a game then to inform the public maybe they said something about it at 4:00 p.m. that day but we weren't home at that time . by the time we found out it was to late to leave we were blocked off from the only way out for us and a 4 year old child . San Antonio was reporting ever 5 min. or so at least thats the way it seemed to us . We need a dependable television station that will inform the news because there are situtations where a scanner won't save you , just like a beeper can't help save you . you'll know some one whats you but you can't tell them whats wrong or where you are . I don't need to know where the cops are . I need to know where is the news people who are suppose to inform us ?????????????

April 24, 2010 at 9:27 p.m.
  • Like I said twice before, no big deal.

April 24, 2010 at 5:11 p.m.
  • Thank you Jonny well said. The public wants convictions not just arrest or at least thats what I have been seeing in other threads. Well if the police continue to allow the criminals to listen in on their radios, then all the evidence or even the criminals themselves will be long gone before the police arrive.

I also agree with your point on going on a ride with a police officer. I have gone out twice and can tell you its a job i do not want to do and I am proud of the ones who can do it.

April 24, 2010 at 4:27 p.m.
  • Im just gonna throw two cents worth in this pot. All these people whining about staying informed can watch the news or local tv to hear about emergencies. The Police are going to release that information to the media outlets to get that kind of information out there. I would invite any of you folks in here that think the Police hate minorities, to go ride along with the Police. These men and women work very hard on a daily basis to protect you and make sure you have the right to spit at them with your hatred. I would like for one of you to show me some proof of racial discrimination that the VPD is taking part of. This is not the 60's and we dont live in LA. Most of the Men and Women that work at the VPD are from around here and grew up around here. Leave the Police to do their jobs and find a new target to direct your hatred at. The scanners will go silent whether you like it or not. Its nothing we can change. If you feel so compelled to be informed, go ride with them. Anyone thats over 18 can ride with the Police. Some of you feel that you are entitled to know whats going on all of the time. Some of you think that its good to know when the Police are going to do a raid on someones house. The problem with that is the bad guys are gonna know its coming and destroy the evidence or run. Without the evidence, you will continue to live next door to drug dealing idiots. Look at the big picture folks, ITS NOT ALL ABOUT YOU!

April 24, 2010 at 3:52 p.m.
  • Tremendous Mistake Chief URE and all those who favor this should stopand reconsider this I'll explain myself and hopefully be heard.

Reasons:

#1 While I can understand the Chief URE's concerns about
    criminals listening in on scanners there are also plenty of good citizens out there trying to help this community and keep informed.
    #2 I totally disagree with this thing about moving to a frequency that its heard from the public this is why.
    A. If there is a drug raid or warrant being served Iwould want to know to stay way clear of this area to avoid 1. getting caught in the pontental crossfire and 2. to let the law agency perfoem thier jobs without someone interfering .
    B. If one of my family members or relatives gets into accident gets taken to the hospital I would like to know this instead of having to wait till someone decides to call me about it.
    #3 then thiers the neighborhood crime watch volunteers whis imsure cause I would like to know if there is suspicious subject subject in the nieighborhood so they can report it to local police thye would be on the lookout for this subject and help report it to police if they spotted that person or persons.
    #4 Then thiers your Emergency communicaters like myself who is involved in many public service activities like Texas RACES, ARES,MARS,SATERN,Red Cross Etc We would like to be ableto know if thier is a major disaster or event in the county or city examplelike a plant explosion or chemical spill to name a few so we could standby and contact our people incase we would be needed to do emergency comms or activate or EOC or DDC here in Victoria.

So you see MR.URE all these people will be left in total darkness without a clue of whats going on.
    Iunderstand the FCCis trying to change everything from analog to digital but this will I think make things more complicated for people who need to stay informed of what going on in the county.
    I have heard it all whats next will the FCC make all the weather radios to digital and leave allthe public in the dark about severe threating weather too think about it .
    Iknow thye willnot give all these volunteer emergency communicators and nieghborhood crime watch people radios capableof listening in on law enforcement sowhat happens to all me and all these people who would benefit from listening in on these transmissions Enquiring minds want to know.

April 23, 2010 at 6:43 p.m.
  • People should have the right to listen to scanners. People do not think. People on this site and in this area love to preach letting the government (ie:police) do their job in secret, but Hoop and yell about the President's business.

You can't have it both ways.

April 23, 2010 at 5:45 a.m.
  • People should have the right to listen to scanners. People do not think. People on this site and in this area love to preach letting the government (ie:police) do their job in secret, but Hoop and yell about the President's bussiness.

You can't have it both ways.

April 23, 2010 at 5:45 a.m.
  • get a life people, let the cops do their job, if ur really upset about not bein able to be nosey, go become a cop!! lol i can't wait 2 see who i upset!!!

April 22, 2010 at 11:02 p.m.
  • Lol, Omg!

If you were representing the best that law enforcement in Victoria could offer to protest, “sensible difference of opinion”; then I’ll speak in simple words.

If the system doesn’t have the ability to block off general transmissions of calls being made from certain devices then you paid too damn much for it. I can sell you a toilet seat for $500 dollars, but crap will still go through it the same way as one for $5.

Kind of like the verbal attacks against me, no matter how you word it, it’s still crap.

As far as worrying about my identity being stolen, talk too the FBI. People who do that for a living are not dumb, they have many ways of getting what they want; the least desirable must undeniably be sitting next to a police scanner.

In short, please are you fore real?

Apparently, just because you insinuate something like my lack of civility, it must be true? I guess, I just needed your greater intellect too show me my place! Your opinion is here and those that disagree with you is.
    .-----------------------------here?

April 22, 2010 at 5:06 p.m.
  • I stopped reading comments after awhile, because it just became dribble.

I assume, that the very expensive program allows for partial encryption. Like blocking out raids on drug houses and allowing the over hearing of routine stops. If so, what would be the harm in allowing routine stops to be monitored by others?

When people argue on matters like this with an “all or none” approach, it comes across a bit “zealous”?

Leads me to wonder if “ego, vanity, or adolescence behavior” is involved in there critical thinking?

A civil society, begins with civil behavior.

April 21, 2010 at 1:23 p.m.
  • Whoa, Ex... I think that is a little off-topic. The limits placed on Congress through enumerated powers and the limits placed on states by the constitution are a whole different discussion, and as far as I can see dont apply here at all. I cannot think of a single constitutional clause that guaruntees the right to listen to police traffic... nor one that prohibits states from banning consumption of a plant. Do I agree that neither of those are federal powers? Yes. Do I believe that the states are limited to that end? No.

As for property-confiscation, health care, you name it... has congressional power to levy tax and regulate commerce been manipulated since the new deal era... I dont think we would argue there.

However, looking forward, I am concerned that in a very unstable (but finally motivated) political climate, citizens such as ourselves need to think really hard about EVERY issue, otherwise we will end up stagnating change that has value as we tr to fight change that further degrades our rights and burdens us and future generations with reduced freedoms coupled with increased social responsibility (the most PC term I could come up with).

I still disagree with you that the "boys in blue" are to be criminalized for enforcing laws that they are charged to enforce. The criminal label should be pasted to those who willfully institute laws that violate our fundamental freedoms (and I concur that it has happened and continues to happen) or that, through reliance on 60 and 70 year old precident, exceed the powers granted to them to create such laws.

We cannot expect those who we ask to defend our nation (internally or externally) to analyze the principles first... we as citizens must accept that they must act based on the direction from above, so that we can remain strong and free(ish). The accountability should be placed on the shoulders of the ones who give the direction/create the laws.

Lastly, I have to agree with you that just because you cite examples of laws that you believe to be in violation of our freedoms, it doesn't make you a criminal. That is an unfair implication. However, I would be remiss if I didnt point out that you have criminalized "boys in blue", and then label anyone who defends them as one of them, effectively doing the same thing.

justaxpayer: Ya got me. Didn't spellcheck...

April 21, 2010 at 7:37 a.m.
  • "Enumerated powers"? Looks like someone should re-take their Constitutional Law course, considering that you are referring to actions of the State of Texas and the County and City of Victoria, not a congressional action taken at the Federal level. Oh, were you referring to your cannabis? Oh, thats right... thats covered by state law as well.

Both Jefferson and Randolph would be sad to see their efforts to check the federal powers perverted in such a way. Nice try.

April 20, 2010 at 8:10 p.m.
  • LE cannot pick which laws to enforce. They must enforce them all. For someone to imply that the LE are evil because they lock people up for consuming plants is so short-sighted and ignorant that it only serves to demonstrate that the author lacks the ability to process a logical thought. Perhaps if we allowed our LE to selectively enforce laws, we could convince them to only arrest "former" residents that have experienced frontal-lobe lobotomies.

Justataxpayer: Are you implying that the standard for "real" dangerous jobs is anything over 22 deaths per 100k? So LE isnt REAL danger? I assume you are a pilot or fisherman, since you know so much about the REAL dangerous jobs. But then, what about laws protecting aviators, and regulations on safety in the fishing industry? Should we not try to make them safer?

And dont you think the reason LE duty-deaths are low is because there is a public interest in passing laws and policy that makes their job more safe? After all, they are putting their lives on the line to potentially SAVE OURS, whereas the fishermen are putting their lives on the line to catch expensive salmon.

I guess I am too "ignorant" to see the value of your corralation between fishermen and officers of the law. Please enlighten us all.

April 20, 2010 at 6:50 p.m.
  • Exresident stated "Tell that to all the fatherless children that the BOYS in blue have locked in rape dungeons for consuming a plant."

I now see the problem. You dont have the ability to place blame where it belongs. It is not the boys in blue's fault for the criminal actions of others. It is the criminals fault. It is not the boys in blue's fault that a plant is illegal to consume, it is the law makers fault and the ones who voted them into office.

The boys in blue are just doing the job they are paid to do.

Those consuming the plant knew it was illegal yet chose to do it anyway knowing the possible outcome of their actions. Yet you blame the police for them being locked up.

Sounds to me like you are the exresident of TDCJ from you comments, but that is just my opinion.

April 20, 2010 at 6:08 p.m.
  • Exresident: "Because this happens so frequently in Victoria. Actually, can you point me to one incident of this happening in Victoria?"

I am astounded by the closemindedness of this remark. All it takes is one time and someones father and husband doesn't come home again. The fact that it hasn't happened here doesn't mean that it won't happen today. Everything law enforcement does involves strategies to prevent crime, bring offenders to justice and to do so safely so that neither they or anyone else is harmed in the process.

April 20, 2010 at 1:52 p.m.
  • Damn! I wanna be like Exresident!

April 20, 2010 at 1:09 p.m.
  • Justataxpayer said: “trust the police, you do not need to know what they are doing”. You also say,” trust the politicians, you do not need to know what they are doing”.

Knowing what the police are doing at any given moment is much different than knowing what your elected leaders are doing. I agree with you (and Tom) that the government is best at serving the people when the people are enlightened as to its actions. I dont disagree with you that the police need the community to be involved. In fact, I would bet that they actually like the participation of concerned citizens. However, that does not mean that you need to hear all their radio traffic. Do you think that when Thomas Jefferson wrote that, he was insinuating that all members of the public should be privy to the private conversations of the military leaders of the day? Do you believe that he meant to say that the gov. should be open about all activity AS IT HAPPENS? Really?

When TJ wrote your quote in a letter, he was refering to his surprise that the federal government was forming with such support. Basically, his remark was that because the people were informed and engaged in the legislative process, their demand had influenced 11 of the 13 origional states. I dont know that there is any way you could construe the meaning to imply that he was happy that citizens were listening in on his conversations during emergencies... but hey, you are pretty creative so you might find a way.

I am also pretty sure that Jefferson didnt have to worry about the technological age when he wrote the letter mentioned above to Mr. Price, but I do know he said this in a letter to Samual Kercheval in 1816:

"...as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors."

We have a gang problem here, and we have a drug problem here. We need to get serious about catching these guys, and stop giving them a leg up. Good job to our LE leaders for finally getting with the program.

Exresident... you can continue to banter on, as your posts have made you rather popular around numerous coffee-pots in town. Keep the laughs coming!

April 20, 2010 at 12:46 p.m.
  • My carnival barker comment got deleted, go figure, I got the inspiration from a well respected newspaper article that described Jim Cramer of Mad Money in that regard.

April 19, 2010 at 9:34 p.m.
  • Uhhhh.... how about checking out some other cities that have gone through this? MUCH bigger cities in Texas have done this EXACT same thing... After using my computer for research, rather than mindless dribble about poor me cause I can't listen to the cops, cause now they for sure are gonna run amuck and do mean things .... I found that pretty much EVERYONE else has the same situation and that NOBODY can listen anymore ....... OH MY! It must be a conspiracy and the victoria pd chief is the statewide leader!!!!! These posts crack me up..... are you conspiracy fanatics for real? They did it to keep us all in the dark? I recommend moving to abilene... BUT WAIT!.... they also have digital radio system that the general public can't hear there either.... a statewide conspiracy? Hmmmmm very possible.... But seriously, don't let common sense and rational thoughts influence your posts against someone who appears to have recognized an important problem and fixed it for us.... thank you men and women of vpd!!!!!

April 19, 2010 at 9:12 p.m.

April 19, 2010 at 7:11 p.m.
  • Well chuckstar.... since Holder is now the AG, that might just work!

lol,

April 19, 2010 at 7:04 p.m.
  • The bottom line is, that while exresident and their comrades are sticking their fingers in their ears and saying "LALALALALA", as their counter to logical thought, the rest of us can sleep easier knowing that police wont have to pull out a cell phone every time they need to relay critical info, wont have to worry about being ambushed, wont have to worry about all the evidence being flushed before they get to the scene, wont have to worry about broadcasting peoples personal info (like name, address and DOB) for traffic stops so crims can steal their identity, and will be able to do a better job protecting us.

Meanwhile, I think I am going to FOIA the nuclear launch codes...

April 19, 2010 at 6:50 p.m.
  • It is a moot point anyway, as I and other posters have pointed out, there is not much info. broadcast on radio anyway.

More power to them, I thought the whole point of the radio upgrade was so that all local and state agencies could communicate with each other easier.

Of course, that is what they said in 05 or so, the last time a ton of cash was spent to upgrade the system.

April 19, 2010 at 6:48 p.m.
  • You crack me up!

You will make a fine leader someday!

April 19, 2010 at 6:21 p.m.
  • well the basic of 128 bit encryption is already out there, it won't take long for someone to figure it out.

April 19, 2010 at 6:14 p.m.

April 19, 2010 at 6:04 p.m.
  • So by that logic, we should wait until someone is shot before we take steps to prevent it. Since it has already been clarified that criminals can listen in (I, while not a criminal, do have the iPhone app, so I know it is possible), we should just wait until a policeman or deputy is killed to make the change. Thank you for clarifying your position.

April 19, 2010 at 6:02 p.m.
  • exresident said:
    "If you have nothing to hide, you should have nothing to fear."

How profound of you, good neighbor!

But I am pretty sure we have already clarified that they have something to hide:

- The location of the drug raid.

and something to fear:

-being shot by a gang-member tipped off by a scanner.

So while we are adding cliche lines about secrets to our posts, I guess I will add one:

"Stupidity is better kept a secret than displayed."
    - Heraclitus

April 19, 2010 at 5:47 p.m.
  • nature of complaint, I meant.

April 19, 2010 at 5:40 p.m.
  • Like I said on the other thread, not much info. is broadcast on radio anyway.

On that thread I said cell phones... I forgot about the computers now in police cars, so yeah IMO, people won't miss much other than the initial call, address, complaint ect.

April 19, 2010 at 5:38 p.m.
  • Thank you, "SpokeMyMind", for finally saying what needed to be said. Nicely done!

One crazy post you didn't address was the argument that since the taxpayer pays, they have a right to listen...

I assume the individuals on this board who post that argument also believe that since we pay for military communication, we should be able to monitor it as well. What about the conversations in the Oval Office? Should that be broadcast on the internet? Perhaps we should also post pictures of our nuclear launch codes, so that you can verify it was printed on recycled paper.

Justataxpayer and the like are just out to criticize any move made by the government, no matter how logical or beneficial it is. Attitudes like that give the rest of us that make up the concerned citizenry a bad name...

April 19, 2010 at 5:30 p.m.
  • What if this backfire's and "when" the criminal gets the technology to listen into this encrypted communication, he can also track the officer through the global positioning system.

April 19, 2010 at 2:51 p.m.
  • No offense to anyone’s opinion, but back in the day there were a lot of ,“No Mexican and No Black Zones”. In a totally unrelated story, I had a great uncle that was found in ditch on the south side of Victoria. His body wasn’t found until the Guadalupe waters subsided.

It was insinuated, that he was in a “No Homosexual Zone”. Seriously, no one implied anything except that people “in general”, did not approve of Homosexuality back in the 50’s or 60’s around Victoria.

Which is why, even though I do not believe in homosexuality, I live by my faith, “love the sinner not the sin”.

Law enforcement officers are no better or worst than anyone else, changing the balance, only welcomes trouble. I have many friends in law enforcement and in prison; ironically, both agree that everyone is susceptible to corruption.

Anyway, I believe that those who monitor the police should be allowed to continue; for the sake of deterrence.

April 19, 2010 at 2:43 p.m.
  • GPS tracking? I'll bet that there is some upset officers over this little added feature, even though it's kind of ironic that big brother doesn't want us to hear anymore, but the officers every move will be tracked and logged.

April 19, 2010 at 2:41 p.m.
  • When you are pulled over in the middle of the night on a lonely road, the thought that someone might be monitoring through a scanner; is comforting at times. You don't have to be a Mexican in a "No Mexican Zone" to many times, to learn that lesson, or Black.

While I want to believe every officer, is always going to be a good person, I'm an adult and we are imperfect human beings. We should never trust in institutions enough to limit our capacity to hold some sway over them, because they are run by people no better or worst than us.

Sometimes, the thought that someone is listening is enough to decide if an officer goes to far or not. Those in law enforcement know exactly what I mean; because chances are if you have been in long enough, you will have met the person too which I’m referring too.

Sometime officers can be their own worst enemy and need these mental barriers to stay on the straight and narrow. It’s called checks and balances.

April 19, 2010 at 2:29 p.m.
  • Oh people, please. What did we ever do before the days of radio? Oh that's right... We sent someone for the sheriff or handled it ourselves. Get over it. I'd LOVE to see more crime off the streets. Criminals don't need a heads up.

April 19, 2010 at 2:26 p.m.
  • Encryptions sole purpose is to keep a secret, you sir, are not being entirely truthful, (plain and simple).

I’m just insinuating how else can citizenry discourage wrongful behavior by law enforcement in the course of their duties?

Not too imply “all” law enforcement officers, would protect one of their own for any inappropriate behavior. Of course not, because Victoria knows, There has never been a law enforcement officer engaged in misconduct!

However, on the off chance of course; that a Victoria law enforcement officer pulls me over on a back road in the middle of the night, and the officer is a closet racist, I’d prefer that at the very least someone might be listening on a scanner.

So that my family might be able to find my corpse, before I decompose.

This is too much and only invites corruption and the potential for possible abuse of citizenry.

A completely unrelated fiction story;

{What if a cop abuses his ex girlfriend and ask his buddies to back his story up, because he could talk on something they did, that some might think is questionable behavior, hint.}

Again, that was a fictional story, that could have been someone’s real life story.

Mark my words, this secrecy thing as it stands, will eventually lead to unreported abuses. It is just logical; perhaps not seen because of prejudicial reason.

April 19, 2010 at 2:19 p.m.
  • For so many people who holler for people to stay out of their family lives, there sure are a lot of people wanting to know what goes on in other people's family lives.

April 19, 2010 at 2 p.m.
  • Lets say someone does a FB fan page on suspiscious acitivty in Victoria, then law enforcement will use this as awareness and may even track movement. People could enter things and others could be aware of multiple issues. What do they say in intelligence "human factor" is the key. imo.

April 19, 2010 at 1:07 p.m.
  • I use these 2 sites. I keep aware. Some things are on the admin. channel but listening is imo not invading but rather techn. advancement. The undercover guys need to be that. Twitter, etc. has revolutionized our information capablilities.

1. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/au...

2. http://www.facebook.com/radioreference

April 19, 2010 at 12:55 p.m.
  • The public does not have a 'right' to monitor emergency responder or police radio of any kind and emergency/police radio broadcast is not 'government'. Find another form of entertainment.

April 19, 2010 at 12:43 p.m.
  • justataxpayer said: "There should be public oversight in every conversation held by government employees.."

I couldn't agree with you more on this. An open Government serves to dispel mistrust and helps combat corruption.

April 19, 2010 at 11:58 a.m.
  • I have to disagree with a post. I have a scanner-I an not a criminal-have never even been stoppped in my years of driving-which is many years. Also, I can speak for myself saying I don't have a scanner to be nosy. But how else is anyone to find out when something is happening in your neighborhood?Criminals escape, drive bys happen. Maybe you need to re-consider. Small towns never find out what is going on or much less happened. We as taxpayers and citizens have the right to know.

April 19, 2010 at 11:28 a.m.
  • Why can't we listen? Is there something to hide? I enjoy listening to the scanner, and since we all pay taxes shouldnt we have the right to listen if we want. I think they could have found other things to spend money on instead of this radio upgrade...

April 19, 2010 at 10:26 a.m.
  • Ure likes secret police work. Kind of reeks of gestapo. Jeckyll and Hyde syndrome, the politician Ure mugs for the camera and microphone when he has self serving information he wants to get out.

April 19, 2010 at 10:18 a.m.
  • I guess all of you noisy lonely people of victoria will now have to find something else to do with all of your free time now maybe you'll could volunteer at the local pet shelters or hospitals.

April 19, 2010 at 10 a.m.
  • Well, JHNSN, Do you get sand in your ears when you bury your head? I imagine the people in Germany in the early 1900s had similar ideas too. I agree with justataxpayer.

April 19, 2010 at 8:42 a.m.
  • many times the "public" has been of assistance to law enforcement because of the scanner.
    the police work for us , as we pay their salary.
    the criminals will find a way to obtain the new technology.
    yes, they are intentionally trying to keep the public from knowing what they are doing.

April 19, 2010 at 8:28 a.m.
  • I wonder what the Vic Ad thinks of this as they utilize police scanners in their news reporting?

April 19, 2010 at 8:25 a.m.
  • Well, justataxpayer, you and I will have to differ on this one! I think that it is NO ONES business what goes on when there is an emergency other than the ones that need to be there to help with that emergency and the ones that have been involved in the emergency.

To me, those that have scanners to listen in are obviously worried about themselves getting called on or just plain being NOSY. I think we should all leave the cops, ems, fire dept. and deputies to do their jobs and stay out of it.

You just can't have it all. Do your job whatever it may be and let them do theirs and just hope they are doing their job at the best of their abilities. That's all you really can do. So many people these days worry sooo much about what's going on with others rather than focusing on themselves and what they should be doing. I mean, HONESTLY, GET A LIFE! There are SO MANY things you could be doing rather than sitting around listening to some scanner and being NOSY!

April 19, 2010 at 7:59 a.m.