Comments

• I get financial aid. Even though it is of lower cost at UHV, I realize that most people couldn't pay out of pocket. I couldn't either. My family is poor in money, but rich in love, lol.

April 22, 2010 at 9:30 p.m.
  • Rebecca,

I agree with deserving folks getting the education that they want. What I don't get is folks jumping in at this point (Hey! What a great idea!) and not backing this bus up to the moment in time that Geanie Morrison made it very, very difficult for deserving folks to get that education.

Your tuition at UHV may be very afordable for you, but it used to be affordable for more, before Geanie Morrison made it that way. She broke it, she should fix it. So instead of establishing a Commission on Education to 'study' why kids K through 'year 20' aren't better prepared for the jobs that may or may not be available in Victoria (this belongs to Dale Fowler), let's just call it what it is, the Morrison Commission to, how did exresident put it, "to exploit the UHV expansion to push their own real estate/new road/taxing agenda." That is a more accurate description.

JackDuece--Lots of folks want to attend UHV Cinco Ranch so let's build some more buildings in Victoria to accomodate them. Are you serious???

April 22, 2010 at 9:22 p.m.

April 22, 2010 at 6:46 p.m.
  • JackDeuce

That's the spirit!

April 22, 2010 at 5:46 p.m.
  • If the University of Houston at Victoria expands, as many are implying, it will be good for students. Whether it will be good for locals and the city, that depends.

It depends on how difficult or easy, the city makes it for jobs to be created in relation to those studies being offered,

It depends on how intelligent and innovative, the students apply their new found knowledge;

And finely it depends on how the college, students, locals, and the city integrate the benefits each has to offer the other.

In general, it’s human nature to work towards enabling yourself, an enlighten human being works to enable each other. Even the 1920’s the mafia new that, and they were just a bunch of immigrants and immigrant children.

The good news is, if they expand higher education in Victoria, I will be a supporter and work to ensure all the advantages that come from it, are made know to everyone. I’ll even help people interested in advancing and enhancing Victoria’s quality of life through my discoveries.

Despite this demonstrating “my enormous ego”, wink, it also implies that there are people who will make the best out of anything. If you are someone who wants everything to work out, it should come as a relief; because you are not alone.

Everyday I make a living out of making the impossible possible. That’s funny, because some insinuate I’m a doomsayer, I just call it like it is; that doesn’t mean I surrender to the consequences.

April 22, 2010 at 5:44 p.m.
  • Part of the problem with VicAds threads is that there is no way to know by looking at black and white type what the author is meaning or in what tone. My solution VicAd.... install emoticons!!!! :P
    Edith good to see you so active again on here. The "oldies" ;) are glad to have you back!! Peace out people!

April 22, 2010 at 4:30 p.m.
  • Edith Ann, thank you for the kind words in your prior post. I was not referring to you, however, I do apologize to you if it seemed like I was 1. insinuating that I am better, or 2. attacking you. I think it is kind of you to always take up for others no matter what their opinion. As far as the UHV expansion or campus being built, I realize that with any project of the sort, there are going to be ppl who benefit politically. Sometimes it is difficult for me to go there about all that because what I care about is deserving ppl getting an education, no matter what the tax increase is. UHV is much less expensive tuition wise, than many other universities, and I just don't see where the cons outweigh the pros. Being that you are blessed to have gone to college, you understand right? Because of that you DO have a better job. You are right, it may not really be about the ppl getting jobs, but that will be the end result.

April 22, 2010 at 4:16 p.m.
  • To whom are you speaking, Rebecca?

April 22, 2010 at 3:54 p.m.

April 22, 2010 at 3:53 p.m.
  • Rebecca and Red Rage--If you two will S L O W down and read what I wrote, you will find that I am questioning the numbers being tossed about. I never said I was against the expansion. Never!

I do think the Commission on education is more about 'forcing' UHV to expand, than it is about providing a work force for jobs that we have no expectation of being there when these folks graduate. I do think it is a CYA for Morrison after her education bill made it harder and harder for folks to get a college education.

Rebecca, I am thrilled that you are enjoying your education at UHV. Best of luck in completing your education. But I am no better than you. I may be more involved than you in wanting answers, but that does not make me better. Besides, do I know you? No, so what would I base that thinking on?

RedRage, you pop in here, mostly on sports, but you are never at a loss for criticism, are you? You said, "Victoria builds a nice little running trail....people complain! I didn't.

Someone wants to build a nice restaurant in Riverside park...people complain! I didn't.

Victoria builds a nice school on the West Side....people complain! My complaints are about the general status of VISD, led by Bob Moore. New buildings are not going to solve our unacceptable rating.

Victoria tries to attract visitors by advertising,etc....people complain! 3/4 of a million dollars to bring your boots to Victoria? I think that speaks for itself.

Victoria wants to expand its university...people complain. I question the data the Morrison Commission is using to justify their existance. No complaints there.

My life is very fine, thank you; it just gets a bit tedious when folks' fingers work faster than their brain cells.

April 22, 2010 at 3:51 p.m.

April 22, 2010 at 3:50 p.m.

April 22, 2010 at 3:07 p.m.
  • As expected with any 40+ reply article, these comments have deteriorated into trash-talk and off-topic remarks. Congratulations guys, very big of you. Now that the higher-ups have you arguing with each other they can proceed with wasting our time and money.

Give me a break. I really don't know what anyone is arguing about. We're all saying pretty much the same thing:

Commission to expand UHV by the airport even though there are no such plans by UHV or UH = bad (and stupid)

UHV expansion = good

Everything else that was thrown in seems to be placing blame on UHV rather than where it belongs: Randy Vivian and Dale Fowler

April 22, 2010 at 2:46 p.m.
  • exresident, is there a reason why you feel guilty enough to respond? I didn't say any names did I?

Most of my time on the VA is spent reading the local sports section because I'm a sports fanatic and I support the local teams, not complaining about every little thing that the higher ups in Victoria do to better the town.

Victoria builds a nice little running trail....people complain!
    Someone wants to build a nice restaurant in Riverside park...people complain!
    Victoria builds a nice school on the West Side....people complain!
    Victoria tries to attract visitors by advertising,etc....people complain!
    Victoria wants to expand its university...people complain.
    COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN!

Then you all wonder why no one wants to come to Victoria.

April 22, 2010 at 2:16 p.m.
  • EdithAnn,
    There is nothing wrong with questioning, but I just find it funny that on the VA Forums it is always the same posters/people questioning and complaining about EVERYTHING in Victoria. No matter what it is, these people complain.

I wonder what its like to live a miserable life where you're always complaining, and this isn't an attack on you. Just a general observation.

April 22, 2010 at 1:46 p.m.
  • I meant I am not finished with school when I said "I'm not done", just to clarify.

April 22, 2010 at 1:05 p.m.

April 22, 2010 at 1:02 p.m.
  • As a proud UHV alum. I support expansion one hundred percent. I will agree with some of the post though. I think the numbers that Paula posted are totals from the other schools. I can't ever remember very many students in the building. Maybe things have changed? I think UHV should concentrate on growing what they have. There is so much potential right where they are. Build it and they will come. VC also has so much to offer UHV. It doesn't make enough financial sense to build a whole new university when there is nothing wrong with the one we have. Go Jags!

April 22, 2010 at 11:34 a.m.
  • I love it! We can only say nice things and must never question.

Actually, my questions come from reality, Rebecca. I have a college education, and no, it's not from UHV, it's from a much larger university.

Everyone should be asking the questions as to what the REAL numbers are. If they are basing needs, and by the way, it appears that everyone BUT UHV has gone out on that limb, on inflated numbers, you approve of that? To put it mildly, it is dishonest.

April 22, 2010 at 10:38 a.m.
  • With increase of jobs according to the experts, we have some new firestations to build.

April 22, 2010 at 9:54 a.m.

April 22, 2010 at 9:10 a.m.

April 22, 2010 at 8:48 a.m.

April 22, 2010 at 8:39 a.m.
  • I counted close to 300 staff/faculty at the UHV location based off the employee directory on the UHV website. They probably aren't all full-time.

How many students actually on campus at UHV? I don't know, but I think many people forget that those 12 classrooms (wherever that number came from) might be used 3-5 different times each day.

No idea how many faculty spaces there are--faculty/staff are all mixed in as far as I remember.

No such thing as a student parking permit at UHV anymore.

Just so everyone knows all this stuff is public information. If you really are that curious I'm pretty sure all you have to do is call UHV for the exact numbers. I would have thought the Advocate would have done this already.

April 22, 2010 at 8:35 a.m.
  • Let me ask the questions a different way.

How many UHV employees work inside a UHV building in Victoria, Texas?

How many UHV students put a butt in a chair in a UHV classroom in Victoria, Texas?

How many UHV faculty parking spots are there on the Victoria, Texas campus?

How many UHV student parking permits are issued for the Victoria, Texas campus?

April 22, 2010 at 6:32 a.m.
  • This seems to be the biggest problem with UHV. They report shady figures, and it leads one to question how honest they are being with the public. The numbers that Paula Cobbler reported may "technically" be the "total" enrollment (wink, wink, nod), but you will never convince me that she was reporting the numbers from Victoria. Silverback brought up very good points. The numbers that Paula Cobler reported aren't exactly reflective of the local situation, and certainly weren't the numbers that the readers are interested in. What's troublesome, is that people such as Cobbler know the truth but provide unrealistic figures to persuade people to support an issue that may just be a wild goose chase if it were analyzed with proper information, and real facts and figures were provided.

I politely ask Ms. Cobbler to please report the University of Houston numbers with accuracy, both total students in Victoria and total employees at our University not the off site campuses in other cities. The whole reason for this discussion is to better inform the general public of VICTORIA as to the true UHV need for a new local campus.

I too completely question Randy Vivian's numbers. I'm somewhat disappointed that our local leaders such as Vivian are being deceptive. I truly am wondering how accurate his figures actually are? I too thought that 500 employees was extremely high. If there are only 12 classrooms at UHV, where on earth did they come up with 500 plus employees. You have to be kidding me, 509 total employees here in Victoria. Thats impossible. Try again, I think there's about 75 full time employees in Victoria, and maybe not even that many? There certainly couldn't be any more than about 24 full time professors that work at UHV. With a total of 12 classrooms, These numbers that Cobbler, Smith, and Vivian are trying to sell absolutely include the Houston campuses, and quite frankly Houston has nothing to do with Victoria. I could care less about Katy and Sugarland.

April 22, 2010 at 12:28 a.m.
  • Yeah, we are in the land of Oz, so don't look behind the curtain. And when we wake up, the nightmare won't have ended.

April 21, 2010 at 5:39 p.m.
  • Welcome to the Land of Oz.

April 21, 2010 at 4:57 p.m.
  • Just ask Randy Vivian about his working history and the first thing you'll hear is that he was the youngest Justice of Peace ever elected. That's his claim to fame.

He was the "head guy" at MidCoast Family Services for some years and the reason for his exit still isn't public knowledge. Now, we have him making claims that are too unreal to believed by anyone with a realistic grasp of this town.

April 21, 2010 at 4:41 p.m.
  • justataxpayer, you call it a 'feather in her cap' that Morrison is pro-TTC and deregulated college tuition? Those are things that will be more like an albatross one day.

Thank you silverback1--excellent observation. I was trying to figure out how 509 folks were crammed into the local buildings, but I didn't want to question the folks who would know...

April 21, 2010 at 2:37 p.m.
  • No, no, no actual students here in Victoria. Not online, and certainly not the greater Houston area students that attend UHV- Cinco Ranch and the UHV- Sugarland campus. Actual, real people that walk through the doors of the Victoria Texas campus. The local situation, that we are discussing. Not campouses and employees who work in other Texas cities a 130 miles away. Not distance education either. Real people that get up in the morning and attend school.

Full Time employees that work here in the 2 buildings on Ben Wilson. Actual Victorians that walk through the doors off of Ben Wilson and call your 2 buildings and 12 classrooms home. Quit clouding the numbers folks.

April 21, 2010 at 2:22 p.m.
  • The mayor proclaims, "We'll find the money" for any project related to UHV. We need to "find the money" to fix Sam Houston Drive.

April 21, 2010 at 12:40 p.m.
  • The old hotel serving as the new dorms was bought from a buddy of Hudson. It had mold damage and he was going to have to remediate it.

April 21, 2010 at 12:37 p.m.
  • Thank you Paula and vox for the stats.

ex, vox-do you not agree that this commission will provide Geanie Morrison a tick on her list of 'Things I have Accomplished'? You are both correct--UHV is maxed out in space, and UH makes the call on expansion.

But at some point, Morrison would love to be able to take credit for that expansion.

April 21, 2010 at 11:26 a.m.
  • Here is a more recent enrollment number. As Feb. 26, UHV's spring semester 2010 enrollment was 3,691.

Paula Cobler
    UHV Communications Manager

April 21, 2010 at 11:12 a.m.
  • Aside from the 'I'm no supporter of UHV', I agree with exresident. The 'commission' can want things all they want, but it's not up to them or even UHV as far as construction is concerned. UH makes that call, and fortunately they could care less about our local politics.

April 21, 2010 at 11:07 a.m.
  • As of 1/19 enrollment for the spring 2010 semester was at 3,487.

April 21, 2010 at 10:36 a.m.
  • There are not jobs in the area for this "highly-skilled" workforce the article mentions UHV creating.

April 21, 2010 at 10:23 a.m.
  • That is an absolutely ridiculous figure, unless the 2.8B comes from some kind of government stimulus. Also- a new road to a second campus? This town is being run by a collection of UHV backers in collusion.

April 21, 2010 at 10:21 a.m.
  • I am absolutely amazed at the number of employees. I would have never guessed. What is the current enrollment?

April 21, 2010 at 10:19 a.m.
  • The University of Houston-Victoria currently has 509 employees on the payroll.

Laura Smith
    Director, Human Resources/Affirmative Action
    University of Houston-Victoria

April 21, 2010 at 10:12 a.m.
  • Our economy desperately needs organizations like Excelon. We have no diversity in the workforce here in Victoria and what is to keep the additionally educated folks here in the crossroads for a career.

April 21, 2010 at 9:29 a.m.
  • I like the sound of this type of local business expansion. Clean non polluting

With 2.8 billion expansion maybe we don't need exelon and its pollution

good work keep it up

April 21, 2010 at 8:09 a.m.

April 20, 2010 at 8:55 p.m.
  • Well, Edith Ann, there will have to be at least a couple of new employees, who can teach,"Hey, Macarena" while wearing their boots.

April 20, 2010 at 7:50 p.m.
  • Julian Cavasos, please find out how many folks work at UHV now. The expansion would cause the staff to increase by 933? That is hard to believe. I think Randy's estimates are always high.

The point of the commission is "to discuss how education in the Crossroads can improve." If so, why are they ignoring the 12-13 years of education that gets folks to UHV?

Seriously, I'd like to know how many folks work at UHV now.

April 20, 2010 at 7:44 p.m.