Comments

• Drove to Austin yesterday & saw a billboard on I35 with some boots on it, thought it was for Victoria but it was for, get this....boots.

Hubby just called, on his way home from Austin, driving south I35 & said "I just saw a billboard advertising Victoria, it said to bring your boots if you come to Victoria. My thought was, you don't even need shoes, much less boots". I had yet to tell him about the ad campaign, that was his initial reaction to seeing the ad campaign. LOL, maybe it'll work on those who have never had the pleasure of visiting before.

April 25, 2010 at 1:09 p.m.
  • I love the "Enjoy the Story" slogan. Good job Cuero!

April 24, 2010 at 2:13 p.m.
  • VBB--thanks for questioning that. It is, "a $73,340 yearlong ad contract with Texas Monthly." I knew it was 73,000, but it is for a year.

Much better.

Which now makes my position that 750,000.00 is a butt load of money, even stronger.

April 24, 2010 at 8:04 a.m.
  • I wonder how Cuero got off so cheap? I guess they had something more to work with than Victoria, Turkeys & their Courthouse, not too much head scratching spent on them.

I doubt Texas Monthly charges 73,000.00 a month for an ad, that's insane. If you would be willing to pay that, I have a bridge to sell ya that would be much cheaper, CVB already bought the ocean front property in Arizona.

April 24, 2010 at 12:21 a.m.
  • Not touchy at all. But you seem defensive as if you have a personal stake in this, and if you are working on a festival, then you do! You want the CVB to embrace your idea. I truly hope you are successful!

And why are you addressing me? Legion has posted 2 concurring comments, but you seem to need to address me.

It is neither wise nor accurate to make assumptions about anyone you don't know. You have no earthly idea what I support and what I don't. You only know I am not a fan of Randy Vivian (that's not new, either) and I think Bridgette Bise didn't need a cobra and a pipe to charm three quarters of a million dollars out of the City Council.

April 23, 2010 at 5:46 p.m.
  • Edith you sure seem touchy. I'm not connected but I get tired of reading the same crap over and over again. It's the same stuff I heard years ago before forums and blogs. It's the main reason, imo, that this city has seen the small growth instead of the projected growth the study from the 80's predicted. Naysayers and doomsdayers, we've got our share. I had plenty to say about the Mac Fest and the lack of Fests before that but now, I am actually researching a festival to be put on here in 2011 or 2012, which has nothing to do with boots. I will present it to the city, county anyone else.

April 23, 2010 at 5:18 p.m.
  • Your right, I just market my product , not a whole city.

A chicken and egg argument, again true. Except for one little item.

Say a person has seen the ad in Texas monthly, they think, "Hey that's not far away, let's load up the family and our boots and go spend the weekend."

Then they get to Victoria, go to the zoo and drive through Riverside Park, yes they are great attractions if you want to spend a couple of hours. Then they drive through the historic district and look and, and yes they are, beautiful old homes, from the street. They go to the Coastal Bend ,McNamara, and Childrens Discovery Museums, and yes they are great too.

After eating at any number of good to not so good restaurants for dinner, they go back to the hotel/motel.

The next day? Go to the movies? The Mall? Or drive down to the coast, not exactly in Victoria.

Then they get back home to one of the major cities and are asked how was there mini-vacation.

"Well, what there was to do in Victoria was great, but if you go, make it a day trip, then head on down to Port A. By the way, you don't have to take your boots."

April 23, 2010 at 5:17 p.m.
  • I wouldn't mind our city having some of that success, either. But as legion357 pointed out, they have a product to sell; Victoria doesn't have enough product--yet--to justify the money.

IMO, you are very connected to this. You been here for about a dozen post, and you just jumped right in. The way this works is, this is a PUBLIC forum. We get to post comments, opinions and in some cases, pure crap, but we get to post until we break the rules.

The rules do not require us to check our values, opinions and beliefs at the door, so you may find some here--apparently me--that think differently than you do. You will have to just live with that or find another forum that is more in line with your politics, religion, opinions or whatever you may find objectionable here.

I would suggest that you really not worry about what I think; I am just one poster among many. And I guess I didn't get the memo that I was the target today. But if you want to attack my opinion when it is different than yours, bring it on. Play by the rules or stay on the porch.

April 23, 2010 at 5:01 p.m.
  • The product they have is no different than the product any other Ford, Chevy, GMC, etc dealer has, which is pretty much what everyone is complaining about. Why the H would anyone want to come podunk Victoria when everything we have here sucks or you can get the same elsewhere. BOO WHOO!!

IMO it's a chicken and egg argument. Do you get people to your city first or do you create a new project, festival, etc. first. We already have a few things to bring people in, or we wouldn't have had the $750,000 to spend in the first place.

IMO, if you know nothing about marketing then perhaps you should bring something to the table besides criticisms.

April 23, 2010 at 4:47 p.m.
  • Well the auto dealers actually have a product to sell, so they advertise it. The city has plans for a product but doesn't have it yet.

April 23, 2010 at 4:35 p.m.
  • Actually I have seen you post numerous times with regards to the branding campaign, and I could tell you didn't like it. Is it the $$ or the execution you don't like?

As for the cost of a full page ad in Texas Monthly, I haven't the foggiest, except to say that it's pretty high probably around your estimate if not more. I can tell you that our local car dealers each spend in excess of $750,000 in advertising each year. I don't know about you but I wouldn't mind our city having some of the same success that those guys have year after year.

April 23, 2010 at 4:19 p.m.
  • To answer your original question, I don't purchase any advertising but a classified ad for a garage sale every ten or fifteen years, if that.

I know advertising is expensive; let's see, Texas Monthy is like 73,000.00 for a full page, per month?

I have a problem with an advertising campaign of this magnitude when we don't have stuff of any magnitude to offer once the folks put their boots on and come to Victoria. A third of this amount, say 250,000.00 would have been way more reasonable FOR A START.

In as much as you are the only other poster on this thread, I'll give you credit for figuring that out. "I guess writing in English is not enough for some."

I have no problem promoting the City at all. I have a problem handing someone THREE-QUARTERS OF A MILLION dollars and the best they can come up with is 'we're targeting the Golden Diamond of Austin to San Antonio to Houston to Corpus Christi."

I you just can't stand it unless you have more detail, please contact me throught the Advocate message system, and I'll provide you a link to what I really think. But I suspect you may have already read it, judging by your assumptions.

April 23, 2010 at 4:07 p.m.
  • The city I was referring to was Victoria, the city in which this newspaper is printed and the city in which you are one of the outspoken critics of the branding campaign.

April 23, 2010 at 3:48 p.m.
  • Why are you so critical of Victoria trying to lure people from Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, Dallas or anyone else?

If you would, please answer the first question regarding the last time you purchased advertising, any kind will do.

"I guess writing in English is not enough for some." Was that directed at me? Do tell.

April 23, 2010 at 3:45 p.m.
  • I guess writing in English is not enough for some.

If you are referring to Cuero's new branding campaing--not at all critical. In fact, I'm impressed, as I said, "all of this for only $15,000.00."

If you think I am critical of spending three-quarters of a million dollars trying to get folks from Houston, Austin, San Antonio and Corpus Christi to come here, you are correct!

April 23, 2010 at 3:38 p.m.
  • EdithAnn, you seem to be quite the critic of the city's new branding campaign. I wonder, how much advertising have you purchased lately?

April 23, 2010 at 10:13 a.m.
  • Hmmm...all of this for only $15,000.00.

Who knew you could advertise a town for less that $750,000.00!

April 22, 2010 at 10:57 p.m.