Walmart fire does not pose environmental risk
No one was injured in a Thursday morning fire at the Victoria Walmart.
Around 8:30 a.m., the Victoria Fire Department was called to put out a fire in a self-contained storage unit outside of the business's auto repair shop.
Upon arrival, firefighters found the storage compartment heavy with smoke and a pallet of batteries that were on fire.
A small amount of battery acid was leaking from batteries that were burned in the fire.
Battalion Chief Roger Hempel said the acid was contained and neutralized with baking soda and there was "no environmental impact."
The building received minimal damage.
Walmart spokeswoman Anna Taylor said in a statement about the fire that a team will work to dispose of the damaged products.
"The safety and security of our customers and associates is always our top priority, and we are grateful that no one was injured. A team with specialized training will ensure that any damaged products are disposed of safely and appropriately," Taylor said.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.