Comments

• RebeccaKerth...It's wonderful that you have your degree and are going to graduate school. Truly, I meant no offense to you or anyone else who has succeeded in the face of great odds. You are obviously a person who will let nothing stand in your way. You have worked hard and done well. You should be proud of your accomplshments.

However, you can see the truth in what I posted. There are millions on multi-generational welfare who make no effort to finish high school much less college and whose only plan for increased income is making more babies.

The taxpayers of this nation have spent hundreds of billions (trillions?) of dollars trying to help these people break the cycle of poverty in which they live. Most don't even say thank you. They just breed like flies and soak up tax money from working people who, in this economic climate, can ill afford it. I lost my sympathy for those people long ago and by now, I simply don't care.

August 13, 2010 at 7:27 p.m.
  • Horrible environment of an alternative school? Are you serious? I went to Profit. Not because I was pregnant, but because I had problems with concentration and focus. I didn't resort to medication to combat the problem, which is why I ended up there. I could not follow the lectures at my other school and take notes properly and my education was suffering because of it.

The classes at Profit were small, there were very little distractions, and I could work at my own pace. I did all the same schoolwork I would have done at (what was then) Victoria High School, and I ended up gradutating a year early because the environment was incredibly conducive to what I was trying to accomplish. There was not one fight while I was there. There were none of the major problems I encountered at VHS. Profit saved me from dropping out and/or having to get a GED. So i'm not sure why you just threw alternative education under the bus.

August 13, 2010 at 1:45 p.m.
  • why would you punish anyone with the horrible environment of the alternative school ?

August 13, 2010 at 1:32 p.m.
  • I am not saying that girls who become pregnant shouldn't get an education, I am all for that, I am saying that they should be sent to the alternative school.
    I also am not saying anything negative about the new VP. I am sure that she will do a great job. I guess that I came off as harsh, I apologize.

August 13, 2010 at 11:35 a.m.
  • I have known Dena Pilsner and her family for quite a few years. Our kids are the same age and we go to church together. I would tickled for her to be my kids Asst. Principal. It is not a fair assumption that just because she worked with pregnant teens, that she is of low moral character. In fact, she is a very compassionate and empathetic person. You are luck to have her.

As for the teen parent program, it isn't babysitting! If these teen parents don't get an education, they will be reliant on the government system. I have an extensive knowledge on how these programs work across the state.

Kids make bad choices, just as I am sure you all have to. Unfortunately, some are worse that others. But everyone deserves to still get an education. Woofwoof, not everyone has great family ties, but I am glad there are people like Dena Pislner that stand in the gap for these kids. Encouraging them to not only graduate from high school, but also help them look at post-secondary education. She is a woman of high moral character and was the perfect lady to show these students a better way.

August 13, 2010 at 10:48 a.m.
  • Resentment leads to anger.
    Anger leads to hatred.
    Hatred leads to suffering and misery.

Let go of resentment people, all it does is make you and everyone around you miserable! Some people on this forum need to LET GO!

August 12, 2010 at 11:09 p.m.
  • It is worth it, I am living proof. I dropped out of my po-dunk high school in Edna, Texas after the counselor told me I would never amount to anything, since I was pregnant and 16. I just applied to graduate school after finishing my undergraduate degree. Yes, the "cycle" is broken many times, thanks to people like Kyle C. and others who see the bright side. God bless the person who can step into their neighbor's shoes.

August 12, 2010 at 11 p.m.
  • @KyleC, did you know you repeated yourself a lot in that one post? :)

I have found that it may be similar to unions. Workers unionize because employers are not treating the worker as a person. It is a consequence of a rotten system of using people. To solve the union problem, companies need to treat their employees right and unionizing will not be an option. It applies here too. Why does the government take this social issue? Because not enough of the lay citizens are offering time and money to help those in need. If we are unhappy with governmental social policy, get involved in the community (you may be already, just affirming then) to help those in need and governmental services will not be needed.

August 12, 2010 at 6:34 a.m.
  • This is a topic that really gets under my skin. I have two kids in high school. I remember a few years ago when my son was in middle school, he came home and told me that a girl was showing off her sonagram picture in English class and that the teacher enthusiastically told her to show them to her. My first question to my son was "why is she there"? When I was in school, the girls who got pregnant went to a different school.
    Somebody once asked me if I wanted the pregnant girls to go to a different location because I am afraid that they will contanimate my kids, and my respose to that is "YES"! I have a junior and a senior and I can tell you with absolute certainty that they are not having sex. However, I have a very impressionable daughter, what do you think that it says to her when a teacher gives possitive re-enforcement to a girl who is pregnant? I think that once a girl becomes pregnant she is no longer a normal kid and should be treated as such. Not to mention the dangers of a pregnant girl walking in the halls of a high school! Sorry for the rant, but this just makes me so mad! My kids are just so no chalant about it, like it is no big deal. The middle school that they went to averaged 15 teen pregnancies a year!

August 12, 2010 at 1:30 a.m.
  • Got to defend Ms. Pilsner here...The Advocated should have not mentioned only her last position. I know that she has taught and facilitated at at least 2 elementary campuses in VISD. The Advocate opened a can of worms by not even mentioning that she had any teaching experience and only mentioning her last postition at Family Connection.

August 11, 2010 at 3:44 p.m.
  • well said Edith.

August 11, 2010 at 3:01 p.m.
  • Am I missing something? Could be that my trifocals need cleaning ?....I thought I read that Dena Pilsner was going to become an assistant principal of Victoria East High School..... I didn't see where VISD will start a program to help pregnant teen mothers continue their education.

Do people get this excited before a program is even mentioned.... It's a good thing she wasn't a drill instructor; people would say she was going to recruit children for the military.

August 11, 2010 at 2:07 p.m.
  • Kyle...What you suggest sounds nice, but we have seen generation after generation of children having children. SOMETHING isn't working. I don't have stats to prove it, but I don't think pregnancy among high school girls as a product of rape is a big problem. If a girl IS raped and gets pregnant as a result, I don't think she should be lumped in with the one's who just don't care. I'd be glad to help her.

Kids don't need to be educated about sex...they know how it works; they know about tab A and slot B. They know what happens when they have unprotected sex but they do it anyway with the predictable result. What they need is a dose of the reality that once they get pregnant, their lives are changed forever and not for the better. When a girl is 14 or 15 and a sophomore or junior in high school, a baby is NOT a blessing.

You wrote: "There are no guarantees that will happen, to be sure, but shouldn't we at least help to encourage that outcome instead of adding more dead-weight to society?"

Kyle, we've been helping and encouraging and propping up and feeding and supplying for decades. How many of the kids who get reduced cost or free breakfasts and lunches at school and are fed during the summer are the product of young girls who got pregnant and can't support her kid(s)? All those good feelings things haven't worked! It's time to go back to the tough love of making people be responsible for their actions. If little Janie gets pregnant, Janie's parents and Janie's boyfriend's parents will have to pony up for the support of the little surprise. Janie will have to decide (with the help of her parents, to be sure) whether she will have the baby or obtain an abortion. If she has the baby, it's no more parties, no more dates, no more hanging out with friends. You've got a kid, kiddo, and that kid needs Janie, not Janie's mom.

As for as the "talk" from parents is concerned, I can tell you real quick about mine from my father: "DON'T!" It worked, too. I'm 62 and never got anyone pregnant. You don't have to abstain to avoid getting pregnant, but you do have to pay attention to what you're doing. I never had a kid of my own and I resent hell out of paying taxes to raise the ones that irresponsible kids have and can't afford to raise and have no skills to raise.

August 11, 2010 at 1:46 p.m.
  • From the Social Security Site,off topic but meant to keep things factual in this forum.

Q1. Which political party took Social Security from the independent trust fund and put it into the general fund so that Congress could spend it?

A1: There has never been any change in the way the Social Security program is financed or the way that Social Security payroll taxes are used by the federal government. The Social Security Trust Fund was created in 1939 as part of the Amendments enacted in that year. From its inception, the Trust Fund has always worked the same way. The Social Security Trust Fund has never been "put into the general fund of the government."

Most likely this question comes from a confusion between the financing of the Social Security program and the way the Social Security Trust Fund is treated in federal budget accounting. Starting in 1969 (due to action by the Johnson Administration in 1968) the transactions to the Trust Fund were included in what is known as the "unified budget." This means that every function of the federal government is included in a single budget. This is sometimes described by saying that the Social Security Trust Funds are "on-budget." This budget treatment of the Social Security Trust Fund continued until 1990 when the Trust Funds were again taken "off-budget." This means only that they are shown as a separate account in the federal budget. But whether the Trust Funds are "on-budget" or "off-budget" is primarily a question of accounting practices--it has no effect on the actual operations of the Trust Fund itself.

August 11, 2010 at 1:42 p.m.
  • any program assisting at-risk teen mothers is well worth it.

i applaud visd for being forward thinking with this matter.

August 11, 2010 at 1:41 p.m.
  • Buckle up, there's still an hour and 1/2 of Rush Limbaugh to go.

August 11, 2010 at 1:30 p.m.
  • LBJ started this, babies having babies, with his "Great Society".

And he finished it with putting Social Security into the General Fund so that Congress can have almost unlimited funds.

Remember,

lazy people?

just kidding.

August 11, 2010 at 1:09 p.m.
  • Why do the OBAMAO's want to help people? Why do the OBAMAO's want to help people?Why do the OBAMAO's want to help people? Why do the OBAMAO's want to help people?

Why do the OBAMAO's want to help people? Why do the OBAMAO's want to help people? Why do the OBAMAO's want to help people? Why do the OBAMAO's want to help people? Why do the OBAMAO's want to help people? Why do the OBAMAO's want to help people? Why do the OBAMAO's want to help people? Why do the OBAMAO's want to help people?

Why do the OBAMAO's want to help people?

- Jack Torrance

August 11, 2010 at 1:05 p.m.
  • ..."If we put aside being cold-hearted for a minute "...

Why do the OBAMAO's want to help people? It's easy, because it is other peoples money.

The downward spiral continues.

Stephen King is twisting the strings. What character are you?

August 11, 2010 at 12:57 p.m.
  • Kyle--thanks for the well-reasoned and insightful comment.

August 11, 2010 at 12:54 p.m.
  • If we put aside being cold-hearted for a minute - surely by helping the mother finish her education we are potentially increasing the chances that the baby will grow up in a more prosperous and stable environment. Education is the key to so much in life - why should a door be closed to her because of pregnancy? What if she had been raped?

If that teen mother gets the benefit now of completing her education then there is a potential that her baby will grow up to be a well educated, high salaried, contributor to society and he or she will have paid back the cost of this service several times over.

August 11, 2010 at 12:41 p.m.
  • Well, if we had comprehensive sex education that was not abstinence-only based, we might have less need for this social service in the schools.

And don't even bother with the 'It's my job to tell my kids about sex.' stuff. Fine--your family will never access the resource (you hope). But I can promise even the most righteous of you, you know someone who has experienced this situation. Are we are to ignore those kids who have parents that didn't talk to them?

Regardless of why a girl finds herself in this situation, should she be denied an education? To do so is to punish and handicap a girl for her parents' failure.

August 11, 2010 at 12:38 p.m.
  • I've gotta agree with woofwoof here. The school system is not a social services agency to provide day care for illegimate kids. If the community didn't spend so much on taking responsibility off the shoulders of those who get pregnant while still a child herself, perhaps it would sink in that this is NOT appropriate behavior and these pregnancies would no be so common. As long as the community tells these girls, "don't worry, darlin', we'll take care of you and your baby" they will never see any consequenses of their actions. I do believe it was better back when there was a stigma attached to illegitmacy and the girls who got pregnant were shunned and thought of as sluts. When I was in high school, I remember three girls who "got into trouble". There may have been more -- I didn't know everybody, but it certainly wasn't common. And we absolutely didn't have a day care center in the school! The girls had to leave school by the time they began to show, and the fathers married the mothers. They generally dropped out of school and took jobs at gas stations or grocery stores and they lived with either his or her parents. Teen pregnancy was not treated as something glamerous, but rather as a tragedy that ruined lives.

August 11, 2010 at 12:26 p.m.
  • You can read about it Ms. Pilsner's previous employment here, woofwoof:

Here's some text for the lazy:

"Pregnancy Related Services are support services, including Compulsory Education
    Home Instruction (CEHI), that a pregnant student receives during the pregnancy prenatal and
    postpartum periods to help her adjust academically, mentally, and physically and stay in school.
    VISD Family Connection provides these services to a student when:
    • the student is pregnant and attending classes on a VISD campus;
    • the pregnancy prenatal period prevents the student from attending classes on a VISD
    campus; and
    • the pregnancy postpartum period prevents the student from attending classes on a
    VISD campus.
    Support services provided by VISD Family Connection and the student’s campus may
    include:
    • counseling services including the initial session when the student discloses the pregnancy;
    • health services including services from a school nurse and certified athletic trainer;
    • transportation for the student and the student’s child(ren) to school and VISD Child Development
    Center;
    • instruction (inside and outside the classroom) related to parenting knowledge and skills, including child
    development, home and family living, and appropriate job readiness training;
    • child care for student’s children from 4 weeks to 24 months at the VISD Child Development Center;
    • case management and service coordination (assistance in obtaining services from government
    agencies and community service organizations)."

It seems that the programs are designed to primarily help pregnant teen mothers continue their education - a good idea in my opinion.

What's morally wrong with that?

August 11, 2010 at 11:32 a.m.
  • "........The board also approved the hire of Dena Pilsner as the assistant principal of Victoria East High School. Pilsner formerly worked with the Family Connection, a program for at-risk, pregnant teenage mothers......"

Let me get this straight.

Ms. Pilsner is now an Asst. Principal at East and was formerly an employee or advocate for pregnant teenage mothers. What age group is this program. I'm just beside myself that VISD thinks this is appropriate adult behavior as a mentor or as a professional role model for my child!

Why do pregnant teenagers need a program. Where is their cherished family ties?

Who thinks this is appropriate behavior, who hired this person?

Who runs a family home like this?

I do not want this administrator, with an obvious lack of morals as an adult, to be teaching and guiding and answering my daughters life questions and looking after the welfare of my daughter at Victoria East..

I will be in charge of that. Get it. I will be in charge of that.

Again, who hired a person with this qualification?

And after a furtive movement, do not call it "Family Connection". There is no family in that situation.

I could go on.

This a Stephen King novel and which character do you play?

I am just disgusted.

August 11, 2010 at 11:20 a.m.
  • 30% of the VISD budget goes to debt (like your families credit cards).

Less than 50% goes to instruction.

Dear Board and Administration,

when you are alone, setting on the back patio, just thinking about things, please remember this is other peoples money, not yours, ok, this is other peoples money you are spending.

August 11, 2010 at 10:46 a.m.
  • Lower than that, you mean ten-thousandth of a point!

August 11, 2010 at 9:47 a.m.
  • Thank you VISD for lowering the tax rate one thousandth of a point so my taxes can go up another $25...you all are so gracious.

August 11, 2010 at 8:22 a.m.