Comments

• Yeah, I saw it. Too funny!

August 18, 2010 at 7:19 a.m.
  • Did anyone besides me see the FLASHING YELLOW SIGN next to Victoria East High School on the loop??? It says, "DrESS Code SUUUUCKS"! Not kidding!!! This is too funny...

August 18, 2010 at 6:57 a.m.
  • thewww,

I understand what you are saying. But, you are representing a company and apparently the powers-that-be there, feel that employees wearing a tie will make the customers feel more confident and trusting of you and the company.

This is the point I was trying to make. Kids feel that they should get to decide what kinds of clothes they wear to school, but they may as well learn now that it will not always be their choice in the future. They may as well get used to it now and learn to respect another's view of what is proper attire for different situations. Distracting clothes have no place in the workforce.

August 17, 2010 at 10:23 a.m.
  • Born...I understand about taking the job seriously and I've never been to a job interview without dressing up. The point about the work environment is partly jealously, I suppose. The guys where I work have to wear a tie but not a jacket. I often wonder what the VEEP over our department (a lady) would say if the guys came in wearing sandals or other open shoes with no socks, pants that stop half-way between the knee and ankle, shirts not tucked in and open four inches below the collarbone showing large expanses of our (less than beautiful) chests the way many of the women dress who work here. Sorry, but wearing a tie has nothing to do with how seriously I take my job. It is simply another case of style over substance.

August 17, 2010 at 8:13 a.m.
  • Just so I never have to wear a berka. That would make me go berserka.

August 17, 2010 at 7:59 a.m.
  • Pros: The dress code will improve the landscaping of Victoria as the whole city will appear more manicured, especially during the hours when students are walking to and from school. "Mow? Why? Look at these kids, they make our town look great!"

Cons: Maybe these next few generations will see a government imposed dress code for all citizens as a very logical decision. I mean, maybe the national unemployment rate will go down. =P

(That was all in jest, as usual, except for when I comment twenty times about testing, that's really the only time I'm serious, which is also when I make no sense.)

August 17, 2010 at 7:51 a.m.
  • every place i've ever worked had a dress code, from the field people to the office staff

the new school dress code doesn't seem too harsh or out of line to me

August 17, 2010 at 2:16 a.m.
  • thewww,

It's more about taking a job seriously, and putting your best foot forward, or in other words, being professional. I feel that an interviewer wants to see how dedicated one would be to the job they are applying for.
    What job interviewer wants to see someone come in dressed like a sex kitten (well a job that has credibility), or someone come in with their pants hanging down past their rear ends? Some clothes are just not appropriate in the workplace.
    Kids need to learn the difference between play clothes and work (professional) clothes early in life.

August 16, 2010 at 9:04 p.m.
  • TXWader...Yeah, uniforms are important in the armed forces. They let you whom to shoot and, more importantly, who NOT to shoot. It's also the way you know whom to salute.

August 16, 2010 at 8:40 p.m.
  • Born...Of course there are times when it is appropriate to dress up, and a job interview is certainly one of them. That being said, however, there are jobs where a tie just doesn't make sense. For example, a job where the employee has no customer contact. Who is he gonna impress? That describes my situation. I NEVER see a customer; they can't get into the part of the building where I work, but, nonetheless, I am "allowed" to wear a tie four days a week. Thank goodness for Fridays!

Back when I worked for the airline here, I'd see businessmen get off the plane putting on their jackets. A hundred miles south of I-10 in AUGUST and a guy's wearing not only a tie, but a long sleeve shirt with a JACKET. I think if I were the client, instead of being impressed by his dress, I'd be thinking that he's an idiot for wearing stuff more appropriate for December and if he's that desperate to impress, he probably doesn't have a half-way decent product. He's all hat and no cows.

August 16, 2010 at 8:36 p.m.
  • Are these interviews held on campus?

August 16, 2010 at 6:38 p.m.
  • When you enter an interview, don't think that the person interviewing you doesn't form opinions by your choice of clothes. What one wears, says a lot about a person.

August 16, 2010 at 6:13 p.m.
  • Just for argument sake: How is a dress code preparation for employment?

August 16, 2010 at 5:33 p.m.
  • A dress code is good preparation for future employment. Kids will hate it now, but they will soon calm down when they see that they fit in nicely with everyone else and all of the "imagined jealousy" talk is removed from the schools.
    Actually, the only kids that will hate it is the ones that loved to "dress above" everyone else. But no fear, there will still be enough instances where they will get to show off their clothes elsewhere.
    Now, if the schools could do something about the excessive use of cell phones.

August 16, 2010 at 4:49 p.m.
  • Quite the humor here. If the high schools enforce the dress code, it may be more strict than St. Joseph!

August 16, 2010 at 1:46 p.m.
  • Even at Hogwarts...

August 16, 2010 at 9:48 a.m.
  • I agree Waywardwind - it's a fashion torture device but on the plus side....well there really is no plus side to wearing a tie!

Over 90% of high schools in the UK enforce a jacket (or blazer as they are called over there) and tie dress code.

August 16, 2010 at 9:36 a.m.
  • KyleC...Jacket and Tie?!?!?! A dress code is one thing, but to require a necktie is tantamount to abuse. If there is anything in the world I hate, it is a necktie. I have to wear one four days a week at work, but those are the only times I do, save for the occasional funeral I must attend. I would sincerely love to strangle the person who invented the damnable things.

August 16, 2010 at 9:30 a.m.
  • Quick observations:

1. I wore a uniform at school from elementary through the end of highschool as is customary in the UK this included wearing a tie and jacket from 11 to 16.
    2. Nobody had to worry about the latest pair of sneakers, labels of jeans and t-shirts etc.
    3. However, what you will see is teens desires to express themselves become quite inventive - you will find kids who change something subtle about the dress code to make it unique to them - I used to tie my tie backwards or make it very very short - it's very interesting to observe!
    4. It won't harm the kids in anyway

August 16, 2010 at 8:45 a.m.
  • It is funny to read everyone's excuses to dress sloppy. Let me tell you, I am overweight, yet I still tuck in my shirt every day to go to work. Am I really happy with my looks, no, but I am happy with my job and my pay. If you don't like the way you look, do something about it. The dress code at school, work, church, etc, should not be changed just becuse you are unhappy with your appearance. Good job VISD. If the students do not conform, send them packing! Any responsible parent will see that their child goes to school dressed properly. There will not be wasted time at school dealing with this if you just turn them around at the door each morning.

August 16, 2010 at 8:33 a.m.
  • I believe VISD, already credited as unacceptable, is taking a very bold step. This new stricter dress code will only be opposed and hated by students. At rist students now have another reason to drop out which will negatively affect the school and ALL students attending. Teachers now have to waste class time dealing with dress code violations when polo shirts have nothing to do with a person's ability to learn.

August 16, 2010 at 8:08 a.m.
  • tcw77901, I totally agree. That is the first thing I thought about with the dress code. It is humiliating when you are overweight and have to tuck in your shirt. As an adult with a few extra pounds, I am uncomfortable. I wish they would rethink that part. But, I am excited overall with the changes.

August 15, 2010 at 6:07 p.m.
  • The only part of the new dress code that is upsetting my special needs daughter (entring senior year at East H.S.) is having to tuck in her shirt. She is not a thin person and having to tuck in the shirt is really upsetting her.

August 15, 2010 at 4:45 p.m.
  • When I was in high school, in another town, in another century, the dress code specified NO tee shirts for boys, the shirts had to be tucked in and completely buttoned except for the collar and jeans or slacks. This was before the term polo shirt wa coined, but pull-over shirts with a collar were allowed but seldom worn; they just weren't popular. The jeans could NOT have holes. Of course, back then our mothers would have pitched a conniption fit if we had worn jeans with holes in'em. Girls had to wear dresses or skirts. The skirts were supposed to be knee length, but that was seldom enforced unless the hem was something like gym shorts length. Jeans were only allowed on very cold days -- the school district office would call the radio stations and it would be announced that PN-GISD would allow girls to wear pants that day due to the cold weather. Sneakers were verboten for boys and girls alike. Boys could not wear sandals, not that any self-respecting boy woud have worn them back then. I don't ever remember a single protest about the dress code. I guess we were a pretty docile bunch.

August 15, 2010 at 9:58 a.m.
  • Ahh, Ok hole, so T-shirts without a pocket =bad, but ones from a concert or a business with a pocket=good. Exactly the opposite of what they decided.

August 14, 2010 at 7 p.m.
  • Another interesting fact about Victoria schools, in 1986 the number of students attending VISD public schools in Victoria was 13,576.

The latest news from VISD about enrollment and a increase in state funding says...

Last year the district planned for 12,300 students attending daily, but had 12,600 and received extra funding for it. Next year, the budget plans for 12,700 students attending daily.

So VISD is only about 800 students behind the number of students that attended in 1986, 24 years ago. Umm hasn't the population increased since 1986?

August 14, 2010 at 6:56 p.m.

August 14, 2010 at 6:27 p.m.
  • I never knew that, Legion357. Interesting.

August 14, 2010 at 6:11 p.m.
  • When I was in high school we had to bleach our hair, perm it, tease it, and spray it with enough hairspray that it would defy gravity from 8:00am-3:30pm. We also had to have holes in our jeans. These rules weren't in the rule book but we were reminded of them each day as we watched MTV.

A POCKET! ::giggle::

August 14, 2010 at 6:06 p.m.
  • See

It's the first one on the list.

August 14, 2010 at 6:04 p.m.
  • 1974 was also the same year that the school board considered changing VHS s name to Chandler High, we even had a vote for the name of a new mascot. The plan fell through though, no one liked the idea.

August 14, 2010 at 6:01 p.m.
  • Who knows, just a rule introduced in the middle of the year.

August 14, 2010 at 5:55 p.m.
  • What was the logic of requiring a pocket on the t shirt?

August 14, 2010 at 5:40 p.m.
  • VHS, *sigh*, in 1974 the dress code was changed, T-shirts where required to have pockets. Keep in mind the "style" then for boys was jeans and a T-shirt sometimes with a unbuttoned flannel shirt worn like a vest over the T-shirt.

Anyway, one classmate took it upon himself to protest, he sewed a pocket on his T-shirt.... right in the middle of the back of it and kept his hair brush in the pocket.

The teachers laughed about it, the principal, BF Erskine, and vice principals where mad about it, but the students T-shirt did in fact conform to the dress code. It did have a pocket on it, there was nothing the administration could do.

LOL

August 14, 2010 at 5:25 p.m.
  • As a graduate from Victoria High School we had a very strict dress/grooming code, which we were made to follow. Girls were to wear skirts or dresses, with the only exception during WESTERN WEEK, when we dressed in western style for school spirit. No sit-ins for us. Girls were made to kneel in the front of the class and teachers measures skirt/dress lengths. We also had school pride and participated in many educational clubs.

August 14, 2010 at 4:48 p.m.
  • I wonder if kids in the 60s would have protested via peaceful sit-ins etc. Kids these days. ::rolls eyes::

August 14, 2010 at 12:48 p.m.
  • The dress code is fine, but being a woman with a less than perfect figure, I feel sorry for the kids who have yet to outgrow their "babyfat" so to speak. I know at that age, I was so self conscious, tucking my shirt in was NOT at the top of my list! On the other hand, I guess maybe it would encourage some to lose weight, but I don't know if humiliation is the best route.

August 14, 2010 at 12:43 p.m.
  • The kids don't have to go QUITE that far every day for school, though it looks really nice. A simple polo shirt and jeans is probably cheaper.

August 14, 2010 at 11:54 a.m.
  • I know the article says it must be a polo shirt, but here is a copy of the actual dress code, for shirts:

Shirts/Blouses
    1. Sleeved, buttoned, collared solid color shirts only. All buttons buttoned with exception of collar button
    2. Logos/trademarks may not be larger than two (2) inches. All VISD school logos are permissible
    3. School spirit shirts approved by the campus administrator, including T‐shirts may be worn
    4. Heavy sweaters and other tops with elasticized waistbands, such as sweatshirts, may be worn untucked but can be no
    longer than the bottom of a back pocket on the pants or skirt
    5. All shirts/blouses and undershirts must be tucked in; allowing waist area to be visible
    6. Outerwear jackets and coats may not contain logos or graphics (other than school logos or graphics). Trench coats
    are not allowed.
    7. No midriffs showing
    8. No under garments showing
    9. No see‐through fabrics
    10. No graphics related to gangs, illegal activities or substances, glorifying blood, gore, etc.

So no, the boy in the picture is not wearing a polo shirt, but it is still acceptable for the dress code, as it is sleeved, collared, buttoned and solid colored.

August 14, 2010 at 11:52 a.m.
  • Tx, I can't tell if you are being facetious or not. Darn Hal.

August 14, 2010 at 11:42 a.m.
  • Hmm...most of you haven't served in our armed forces I see... where uniforms are the order of the day.

I won't try to explain it to you, use Google and find out for yourself why a dress code is a good idea.

August 14, 2010 at 11:05 a.m.
  • I guess I don't understand what a Polo shirt is, as the young man in the picture is wearing a buttoned down shirt. He looks very nice and neat, but is this a polo shirt?

August 14, 2010 at 9:58 a.m.
  • First of all -Victoriamom- your statement is ridiculous. You act as if the teachers are in the day of "Welcome Back Kotter". I have never seen teachers looking the way you described. The other persons statement about the extra cost with having to buy new clothes is also silly. Have you priced these shirts?? 10 bucks at a lot of places. About 1/5 the price of a pair of ghetto jeans.
    Advocate-stop throwing out the "bait" stories about clothes to get people fired up. The school system needs your support.

August 14, 2010 at 8:27 a.m.
  • I just hope that if the teachers are enforcing the dress code they too will follow it and dress correctly. The need to shave, no long side burns, cover their tattoos and wear the correct shoes. Children learn by example!!

August 14, 2010 at 6:27 a.m.
  • WHAT MAKES YOU THINK BY CHANGING WHAT YOU WEAR WILL CREATE SMARTER STUDENTS OR CHANGE THE WAY STUDENTS BEHAVE....???? I AM SO FREAKING SURE THAT IS SO...STUPID!! IT ALL BEGINS AT HOME AND HOW YOU RAISE YOUR CHILDREN...LIKE THEY SAY..YOU DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER...

August 14, 2010 at 2:25 a.m.
  • Thank goodness!
    Now that the dress code has been installed, all of the former problems that we had are going to evaporate. Now our schools will be rated exemplary across the board. . .

August 13, 2010 at 11:53 p.m.