Friday, September 19, 2014




Advertise with us

Disposable barbecue grill blamed for house fire in Nursery

By Advocate Staff Report
Aug. 17, 2010 at 3:17 a.m.


TIPS ON HOW TO PROPERLY USE DISPOSABLE GRILLS

Make sure the coals and fire are completely out before leaving the grill. Coals, especially, can hold heat for several days.

Use a water hose to put out the fire.

Don't use grills on wooden decks because they have the potential to tip over; instead, use them on asphalt or dirt.

A disposable barbecue grill is to blame for causing a Monday morning house fire, Victoria Fire Marshal Ron Pray said.

The fire occurred about 3 a.m. in the 600 block of McCormick Drive in the Western Hills subdivision of Nursery.

Homeowner Deborah Roberts said the family had been barbecuing with the grill around 7 p.m. the night before.

"That was the first time I ever tried it," said Roberts. "The first and the last."

She continued, "We put water on the coals, but somehow it came back alive."

Roberts said she and her 24-year-old daughter, Melissa, were alerted to the fire when a neighbor tapped on their windows.

Pray said the home sustained about $2,000 to $2,500 worth of smoke and fire damage.

Roberts said the family had no insurance.

No one was injured during the fire.

Although this is the first fire stemming from a barbecue grill this summer in the county, Pray said disposable grills do have a high potential to cause a fire.

"These little aluminum grills are only a metal tray with some coals," Pray said. "They are not really as sturdy as a typical barbecue grill or a Hibachi."

SHARE

Comments


THE LATEST

Powered By AdvocateDigitalMedia