Comments

• i knew him... i had class with him... cant believe this...

August 22, 2010 at 1:22 p.m.
  • Several areas involved: maturity of the driver.....was there texting or a cell phone involved? The district has known for over 2 years about the lack of safety in both areas of the new HSs....why hasn't the speed limit been lowered - at least until the "overpasses" are completed? Such a senseless tragedy.

August 19, 2010 at 9:48 p.m.
  • Also, please, if you are turning left onto the loop, do not stop when you get to the median, there is a lane you can speed up in to merge with traffic.

August 19, 2010 at 6:01 p.m.
  • Does no one remember that the city and county are throwing in funds for overpasses at Salem Rd. and Mockingbird? They will get additional state funding, hopefully, next year.

TXDOT put the Mockingbird stop light up as a temporary fix until the overpass is built.

IMO, the problem with the Ben Jordon and Airline intersections with the loop are that no one in Victoria has seen the configuration before and don't know what to do. If a vehicle is turning left off of the loop onto Airline or Ben Jordon, there is a stop sign, likewise if a person is waiting to turn left from Airline or Ben Jordon, they too have a stop sign, both driver should treat this like a four way stop.

In the case of this accident, God Bless everyone involved, what born2me is probably right, or a version of it. If a car was turning right off the loop onto Airline, the cycle driver, or even another car, could be hidden from view from the driver turning left onto the loop. I have almost done that myself on 59. If someone is turning right, don't just pull out, there might be another vehicle to the left of them that you cannot see.

August 19, 2010 at 5:57 p.m.
  • if txdot and Mr Bena believe we can self govern our traffic flow and rules they are mistaken. Public safety is being jeoparized. I too agree lights need to go up now.

August 19, 2010 at 5:31 p.m.
  • I agree, it is not VISD's fault. There is never ideal driving conditions everywhere, at all times. It's about being able to drive in all conditions, being extra careful, not being distracted, and just doing the best you can with what you have to work with.
    Accidents happen and this was an accident.
    More than likely, it has more to do with the way things are set up in that area. A person has to watch too many things if someone is turning off of the loop, at the same time someone is trying to turn onto the loop, and still watch traffic on the loop. If someone forgets to look back and forth at everything a few times, they will mis-time something or miss something.
    I just feel like there should be lights at all the turning spots. Not necessarily for the traffic on the loop, but for all the cars that have to drive across the loop. Sort of like the crosswalk signs.

August 19, 2010 at 5:19 p.m.
  • its not visd's fault. tons of schools are built near high traffic. start early. slow down and remember your driving ed learnings.

the 2 schools are in perfect locations. may be not your liking but for the overall needs for all they are well placed.

August 19, 2010 at 4:55 p.m.
  • Here is a question that I'd like to put out there... WHY COULDN'T VISD FIND OTHER PROPERTIES OF LAND FOR SALE TO BUILD THESE NEW SCHOOLS? WHY DID THEY CHOOSE LAND THAT WAS OFF OF BUSY HWYS/LOOP? WAS THAT PROPERTY CHEAPER???? SCHOOL HASN'T EVEN STARTED AND HERE WE ARE... ONE LIFE LOST...

August 19, 2010 at 3:38 p.m.
  • That is a two-lane road and it is very possible that the motorcycle was behind (to the left side and out of view) another vehicle. Once the front car passed by, the young lady might have not seen him at all and just went across, thinking the front car was the only one.

August 19, 2010 at 3:04 p.m.
  • Remember, accidents don't happen, they are caused.

August 19, 2010 at 1:51 p.m.

August 19, 2010 at 1:49 p.m.
  • There seems to be a lot of "heat" from both sides of this. As a passenger on a motorcycle, and the victim of a motorcycle accident earlier this year (a large cycle, at that) it can be scary out there. But it is a two way street, no pun intended. The smaller street bikes and "crotch rockets" DO have a tendency to blend in with the background with their aerodynamic shape and lower profile. Those of you who are saying "Well why didn't the driver just see the biker?" Was there a blind spot because of the sun? Was the bike going faster than the young lady thought he was going? We don't know, but I am sure she did not plan on this. However, as a driver of a car, I for one have been behind riders of crotch rockets on more than one occasion on Navarro and having them pop "wheelies" just for fun right in front of my car. Don't start...I am not saying he did that. Just that motorcycles have to be even more defensive in their driving than cars. Car drivers needs to stay off the bumpers of motorcycles; I see that multiple times each and every day. Motorcycles need to stop weaving in and out of traffic as well, and stop riding in the blind spot on our quarter panels.

Those that are complaining about the intersections...one poster was correct...COV did not build the hwy; TxDOT did. Loops shouldn't have stop lights like 463 will; but 1604 in San Antonio does, and for apparently the same reason - a school. Just deal with it. You say "what about those that don't live here...they won't know about the stop lights and might run them!" Do you blindly drive when in a town/city with which you are not familiar?

But this is way off base...I am so terribly sorry for the family that lost their son. I understand their pain, having gone through it myself. And my heart goes out to the driver of the truck, her family and the girls that were with her. I am sure they are struggling with this as well. May God bless all involved.

August 19, 2010 at 1:27 p.m.
  • Roberttx...Traffic lights on the Loop are not the answer. The loop is designed to carry traffic around the city so drivers don't have to mess with traffic lights. There are new ones at Mockingbird and I think that will become a VERY dangerous intersection BECAUSE of the lights. People aren't expecting stopped traffic on the Loop.

August 19, 2010 at 1:08 p.m.
  • Motorcycles scare the bejabbers out of me. They can be SO difficult to see under the best of conditions and when seen, because of their size, the closing rate is difficult to judge. I understand that they're fun and economical, but, as a car driver, they scare me. Apache had some very telling remarks since he drives both. Other than making sure the lights are on, I don't know how to make the bikes more visible. This is a sad accident.

August 19, 2010 at 1:04 p.m.
  • I am just very thankful that there are supportive people out their for both sides involved in this tragic accident. Religion may not be your answer, but some of us choose to believe and put faith in something bigger than ourselves. If that is not how you cope, that is your choice. But do not think she does not understand the severity of this situation. It's not a debate of religion, blame, or reasoning. What everyone must realize is this was an accident that has forever changed the lives of the CHILDREN in both parties. Staudek is 100% right. Bashing eachother will not change anything or make the hurt less for the girls and certainly not for the family. Grieve for the child that was lost, pray for his family, pray for another child that will forever live with this pain, and pray everyone involved will find strength to withstand . "Lord I will praise you in this storm."

August 19, 2010 at 12:50 p.m.
  • apache,

I applaud your post. I know the family of Patrick very well. They are grieving the loss of their only son. Also, they are finding peace in the fact that it wasn't his fault.

From what I understand, the girls did not understand how critical he was at the time of the accident. Please do not bash these young women. It was an accident. As an adult, I have not seen a car when I have pulled out and nearly hit it.

Pray for everyone involved, they all need it.

August 19, 2010 at 12:44 p.m.
  • All of the adults on here that want to play the blame game wake up and realize that a 17 year old boy lost his life. I know who the young man killed was. A good kid lost his life a mother and father lost their only child. NOTHING will ever replace that. The young ladies in the truck have to live with this the rest of their life. They may have all gone to school together anyone think of that? No you just want to get a comment out there. Somewhere someone has lost a best friend, a friend, or a brother chosen by choice not by birth. You all need to sit back and remember this young lady could be charged with a crime for what happened another life in ruins, so before you use your mouth for the freedom of speech we have remember these are children in the eyes of the law they may be adults but in the hearts of their family they are children. Rude and crude comments are better left unsaid pray for the families involved don't cast judgement. Let the VPD and DPS do their jobs for once with out rude comments.

August 19, 2010 at 12:43 p.m.
  • I drive a car/truck and I am also a biker, like all of us that drive both we see both sides of situations like this. Bikes and cars are a bad mix. I myself have almost been hit by a car on my bike, but on the other side of the coin I`ve found myself spotting a biker in a blind spot I didn`t see at first glance while driving my car/truck. I am a trained driver and a seasoned driver at that with no accidents.( Except on my bike with another biker) The point I am trying to make is this.. No matter who you are or what you drive, the road is a dangerous place.(Any road) Add distracted drivers, inexperienced drivers,and drivers with the wrong attitude about driving.Well, situations like these are the result. Anytime I hear or read about a biker/car accident, my first thought is." Was it someone I know?" In this case it wasn`t, but thats not true for the past and surely not for the future. Next time it may be someone I know, someone you know, you yourself, or maybe even me. The lives of everyone involved in this crash are changed forever. At fault or not at fault. I`d really like to see the comments some of you would make if it were you or a loved one involved in a situation like this. It makes no matter where anyone was going, what they were wearing or what road they were on. Lives are changed here with devistating reprocussions. With all the proffessional driver training I`ve had the privlige of learning, I`ve learned one thing to be true. There are no accidents. Someone is always at fault when two vehciles crash. It`s sad but true. Driving anything on the road is a privliage and when that privliage is not given the proper respect things like this will continue to happen. Young, middle age or old. Male or female. We all have the same responsibility when we turn that key and head down the road. With that said my heart goes out to all and their family and friends involved and for those of you that don`t have the common sense or common courtsey to see this is a tragic situation...keep your stupid comments to yourself. It may be you next time.

August 19, 2010 at 12:36 p.m.
  • CParent- keep your idiotic remarks to yourself. Others-just because you are involved in accident doesn't always meam you were texting, eating, reading, blah, blah,blah. Maybe that is what you think because that is how you drive!

August 19, 2010 at 12:06 p.m.
  • lets grieve for this boy's family and give them the respect they deserve without crucifying the girls..Please!!!!

August 19, 2010 at 12:06 p.m.
  • First of all we need to understand this was an ACCIDENT, meaning it could happen to anyone at anytime. Instead of bashing these girls for this, you should be thanking God and praying it doesn't happen to your kids. We never know when something like this can happen and we should be a community that pulls together to support both families, the ones who lost a son and the ones who know have a daughter that will have to live with this the rest of her life. Sympathy should be for all involved. Stop giving such negative opinions and pray for these families. We all deserve mercy and this is the time to show it. My prayers are for all the families and i pray God gives the young man's parents strength to deal with this loss and suffering as well as the parents of the girl that is suffering with this traumatic pain she is going through. All i am saying is think if this happened to you or your family member, would you want everyone saying such awful things about your kid? Geez, have a heart and be a little sensitive!

August 19, 2010 at 12:03 p.m.
  • I'm so sorry about the loss. I'm concerned that the loop isn't safe. Kids will be pulling out in front of everyone at the high school. I travel the loop back and forth from work. Would love to see more traffic lights at major intersections there.

August 19, 2010 at 11:56 a.m.
  • I agree with jbass5 105%

RIP to the young lad

August 19, 2010 at 11:52 a.m.
  • please stop all the Bashing..I was there with the girls and they are DEVASTED!!! We all are... these are CHILDREN!!! and as you stated nothing will bring him back not even all the bashing of the girls....my heart is devasted for both families...

August 19, 2010 at 11:51 a.m.
  • First off I want to tell the family of the 17- year old boy that im very sorry for your loss my heart goes to you and your family.
    I feel bad for the girl who hit the boy shes young YES and has to live with that for the rest of her life,But really why didnt she see him coming? Was she not paying attention? maybe this is something she could have avoided. That is something only she knows.. I couldnt imgaine living with that kind of weight on my shoulders.But that doesnt mean thats her puinshment either

August 19, 2010 at 11:40 a.m.

August 19, 2010 at 11:38 a.m.
  • I wasn't being rude I was just saying someone wasn't just hurt. I do feel sorry for these girls, I also have a heavy heart for the parents of the young man because NOTHING will ever bring him back.

August 19, 2010 at 11:38 a.m.
  • The girls will probably have alot of issues ahead of them..But adults bashing them like this isn't helping them either with what they are already dealing with..I had a motorcycle zoom in and out of traffic the other day and almost hit the front end of my truck..they are almost invisible at times..As far as church just because they were in shorts doesn't mean they were not headed to church..We are a religion to where you can wear jeans to church, and alot of kids wear shorts to evening services..Don't judge

August 19, 2010 at 11:27 a.m.
  • I would have been inconsoleable just by hurting someone. And I'm sorry I did not see that.

I do feel bad for the girl(s).

Motorcycles are out there. Be more aware. WATCH OUT FOR THEM!

August 19, 2010 at 11:24 a.m.
  • Amazing. Here we have a tragedy for several teenagers and their families and the usual trolls are out setting the blame on the design of intersections! Loop 463 and Hwy 87 are State roads and the design of its intersections, overpasses, signal lights, etc are a State Of Texas, Department of Transportation matter. What can the COV do that you can not do yourself? Instead of posting comments here, why not pick up the phone or email TXDOT and Rep. Morrison and Sen. Hagar.

Now, back to the heart of the matter ... our community should pray for the families of the teens involved. This is a loss to our community and a needless tragedy, as all accidents are. Let's gather together, lend our support and pray for all involved. If a crime was committed that caused this accident, then let's pray for a just consequence.

August 19, 2010 at 11:23 a.m.
  • momofallboys,

I believe Ashley was trying to point out that the young driver knows what she did, and is indeed praying for the young man who passed away and his family. This is a very side time and i believe you are missing a big part of it. Yes a young man was killed and yes it was at the wheel of a teen-aged girl, but if it were an adult who was driving would it not still be an accident where a young man was killed. The fact is this is ALL in GOD's hands. Everything that happens on this earth is according to His will and not our own. Yes, it is very unfortunate that this happened, but God has a bigger plan than any of us can see in this issue! I pray for both families and I hope that everyone will follow in lifting the whole issue up to God and letting Him take control!

God Bless..

August 19, 2010 at 11:17 a.m.
  • Ashley111- I'm sorry to say but these girls didn't just hurt someone. Wether they were on there way to church or not isn't the issue. The issue at hand is the fact is there are way to many accidents were teenage kids are involved.
    Im sorry for everyone involved.
    I just wanted to point out to Ashley this isnt just someone being hurt it was a life that was lost and loved by many!!

August 19, 2010 at 11:05 a.m.
  • I was just informed of who the young man was. Pray for his family. He was an only child.

August 19, 2010 at 10:59 a.m.
  • Yes, they were on their way to church. It's not abnormal to see people in shorts or jeans at church these days. My sweet cousin was the one driving the truck that struck the man. I can assure you she is extremely torn up and has been constantly requesting prayers for the family of the boy she hurt. It was an accident. Obviously it was in no way her intentions to hurt someone. I'm from Missouri and we have a massive prayer chain going all the way up here. They were both children and it's sickening to me that a statement like "they care more about the way they look then about the person they hurt" could come from a human being. The prayers of my family go out to the family that has lost who I am sure is a wonderful person.

August 19, 2010 at 10:55 a.m.

August 19, 2010 at 10:45 a.m.
  • It is unfortunate for all involved and my heart goes out to both families. The loop has it's share of problems, especially the messed up intersections that have turning traffic crossing each other's path. The other problem is the drivers on the loop that don't obey the speed limit or the stop signs. I have witnessed too many times drivers turning left off of Airline that roll through the stop sign when a car is turning right onto Airline. We just need to slow down and be more aware of the traffic around us. Laws and safety precautions are put in place for a reason and we need to heed these so that more sensless deaths don't occur on our roads.

August 19, 2010 at 10:19 a.m.
  • as I have said before... until there are numerous deaths will there be money available for overpasses at either HS. TxDot and other agencies including COV look at facts/charts/numbers.

Overpass was finally built over FM 236 the upper road to mission valley after numerous deaths. How many since the completed overpass???

My condolences to all the families in this horrible accident and the VPD/EMS who had to process everything. Sad situation.

August 19, 2010 at 9:27 a.m.
  • Wrangler1,

I am sure the girl that hit the young man will have psychological issues. I personally am praying that it does not come to her being persecuted, but if she is I pray for her and her family. This is a tough situation for the young girl and the two girls that were with her. I know they were on there way to church, and I hope that everything works out. It is all in God's hands now though...we can not do much else besides pray. I am praying for the young man who lost his life and his family, along with the girls that were in the truck.

Its in God's hands now!!!

August 19, 2010 at 9 a.m.

August 19, 2010 at 8:43 a.m.
  • Myvu,

How right you are and more to come as you so aptly wrote. Why don't the visionaries that chose the high school sites fess up and admit you were totally wrong about these locations. Loss of life and taxpayers monies.

August 19, 2010 at 8:19 a.m.
  • I was in Victoria the other day, and noticed those smaller bikes are hard to see sometimes. People are sitting at the stop signs looking for oncoming traffic, and those bikers blend in to the larger vehicles, and other things, in the background.
    This is so sad and my heart is with the family of this young man.

August 19, 2010 at 8:02 a.m.
  • This is terrible, but no sense in starting to play the blame game. The fact is, there is lots of traffic on this loop, and it is fixing to get worse. The way the entrances/ exits are designed are simple, but are way above the mentality of a lot of drivers. Once the new high schools open, stories like this will probably become almost a weekly event in the paper. The schools are nice, but the locations could not be worse. So now Victoria will have the high schools always desired, but at the expense of a few lives per year.

August 19, 2010 at 7:30 a.m.
  • What a shame to lose a young life due to the dangerous side street intersections on 463. I hope the fast moving vehicles stop when they are supposed to at the new traffic lights at the new High Schools.

August 19, 2010 at 1:57 a.m.
  • may he R I P

salem and airline intersections both need traffic lights

August 19, 2010 at 1:16 a.m.
  • My heart goes out to the family of the young man...may God help them and comfort them in their time of loss...I hate 463 and hope COV will look at ways to make it safer for everyone especially with school starting Monday...

August 19, 2010 at 12:32 a.m.
  • Well the teenage driver at least -MAYBE- walked out of the hospital with only a scratch.....but.....a life was lost! Let's see how this is handled by the COV.

August 18, 2010 at 10:15 p.m.