Comments

• Some people need to use common sense. Especailly, when you have a poplutation that is older. You can't build and expand anything when you have NO JOBS. You have no jobs to create a tax base in order to add on UHV.

Common Sense folks,

MATT OCKER 2010

August 27, 2010 at 7:30 p.m.
  • Victoria is a fine community that continues to grow and develop. What is so neat about the new freshman students coming to UHV, is that they are the first freshman class and will be able to create many of the student life activities for future generation of UHV students.

There are many things to do in Victoria and I am sure with the freshman coming to town, there will be additional businesses added.

August 25, 2010 at 8:59 p.m.

August 25, 2010 at 8:30 a.m.
  • (continued from below)

UHV is a great school, but the actually on-campus enrollment is on 10% of the total enrollment figures, about 360 students. So, let me get this straight....the brains behind Victoria politics want to put 360 students on 300 acres of land in the middle of no where (inside Victoria still isn't the greatest) isolating these kids by an industrial airport. Aren't there regulations in building height building so close to an airport? No to mention they want to complain about getting 70 million to build on the current land they have...gee whiz Batman...wouldn't it take 6 times that amount to build a 300 acre campus!?

The on-campus enrollment has dropped 55% since 2000. There is no reason why UH should even consider building on this land without busting out laughing. The on-campus enrollment figures on dropping and the city of Victoria is not very attractive. And by the way, the people who believe the old Kevin Costner line..."build it and they will come"...they won't. You may think, all these buildings, students will be able to take more on-campus courses than on-line. That may be true for some, but the average age of a UHV student is 32. That means these dudes have full-time jobs and won't be able to go to class for the majority of the day anyhow! On-line works better for them. And when you think of a "destination university", you think of young kids running around having fun...not a bunch of mid-thirty year olds.

Lets have our leaders think things out and get back in touch with reality before popping off at the mouth to UH Systems who have done the best that could be done for this city.

August 24, 2010 at 11:08 p.m.

August 24, 2010 at 11:07 p.m.
  • Well said, VBB.

August 24, 2010 at 10:44 p.m.
  • People2010, you say Victoria has a lot to offer the college kids. My question is, what exactly? Housing for upperclassman? Really? Jobs? Really? Entertainment? Hell, the townfolk get their knickers in a twist when there is music played on a weeknight! Jobs after graduation? Really? Victoria has nothing to offer the average college student coming from out of town. Victoria cannot compete with the likes of Austin, San Marcos, San Antonio, College Station. Even the tuition at VC is higher than it is at other community colleges. Mayor Will needs to focus on making VICTORIA an appealing college destination & leave the running of the University to the Board of Regents.

August 24, 2010 at 10:37 p.m.
  • people2010,

I do believe it is that I disagree. I try to do my homework rather than just shooting from the hip with the first thing that pops into my head. You are not the first person to say I seem angry, and every time some has said that, it was because I have disagreed with what is usually an emotionally based position.

I don’t think that Houston has to take care of us. I never said that. I have said that I think the initial answer from the University was the correct one. Welcome Wilson was correct—grow the enrollment, and then let's talk about growing the campus.

If you will check my comment history, you will see I usually make myself pretty clear. I notice that you are new—five comments. No problem, but you are right, you don’t know me. I was born right here in Victoria at DeTar Hospital over fifty ago.

I care a lot about my community. I live here and I do have a stake in the community life, as does the University of Houston Victoria. The fact that they have been an important part of our community for 38 years is significant, don’t you think? They are not still trying to achieve success; they have been a success since the first day. If we do not have another road to the airport, with a campus expansion out there, too, do you think this is somehow going to adversely affect UHV? It’s not.

Something else for you to think about—the trend is toward online classes. Folks in classrooms will never disappear, but online education is growing. Why do we need more space?

August 24, 2010 at 9:26 p.m.
  • It is not that you disagree, it is the way you seem to think that Houston has to take care of us. You seem to be so angry, I have no stake in this game, other than I want to see UHV continue to be successful and I think that UHV and the Vitcoira community has a lot to offer anyone wanting to come here.

August 24, 2010 at 8:46 p.m.
  • people2010--

I have no anger issues. I do have a very low tolerance for folks who operate from an emotional stance instead of a factual one.

For the record, I am not the only one who disagrees with you and those who think like you. Why do you single me out to chastise? Goodness, justataxpayer and Legion 357 are just two of many who disagree with you all also. What did I ever do to you?

Funny how some folks, even when presented with the facts, cannot see the obvious. But you have my absolute word on this--when the State of Texas funds the $68 million dollar request, the University accepts the 100 acre wood and buys the other 200 acres, the city builds the road to the airport and actual student enrollment increases by even just 25%, I will issue a full "You were right" statement and beg the paper to put it on the front page. Until then, I'll just sit over here and wait...

August 24, 2010 at 7:17 p.m.
  • I guess the city and county leaders, that only a few months ago, where pleased to death with UH and UHV, have now decided NOT to dance with the partner that brought them. My oh my, they must feel like the date that was dumped at the prom.

I still don't see how any other university system will be able to "take over" UHV for at a minimum of two years, probably longer.

1. Mrs. Morrison introduced a bill and it was passed and signed by the Governor to modify the education code that requires the UH system to provide a four year university in Victoria. So another bill will have to be passed and signed for any other system to "take over".

2. The UH system has requested $68M from the state to invest in the UHV campus. Since the state is facing a $18B budget shortfall, I doubt if it will be approved. That being said, why would the state approve funding, probable at least $400M, to another system, to "take over" the UHV campus, abandon it, and build a brand spanking new campus?

Slow down people, ( who think they know best), UHV has started 2010 classes, give them time to build up enrollment in Victoria and the state dollars will follow.

August 24, 2010 at 6:42 p.m.
  • FYI - I think that UH is a great school. I just do not think that they have the time or desire to concentrate on anything other than Tier One status right now. That is not a bad thing, I hope you get it! Bottom line, the needs and vision for UHV Victoria needs to be addressed and if UH can not do that, than we need to find someone that will.

It can be a good thing for everyone if you take the "anger out" and look at it sensibly.

August 24, 2010 at 6:40 p.m.
  • EdithAnn- You seem to have some serious anger issues. Can you say anything positive about us "small minded people in Victoria"? Can you be anymore insulting?

I hope you do not live in Victoria if you think so little of us. Wow, not sure what to say!

I say, go Victoria! We have what it takes to be a full fledged destination campus!

August 24, 2010 at 6:35 p.m.
  • VBB.

I hope Ocker will raise some on the country club elites.

August 24, 2010 at 4:30 p.m.
  • Ofthepeople.

The official name of the commission, Crossroads Commission on Education. The CROSSROADS area consist of Victoria, Dewitt, Lavaca, Jackson, Refugio, and Golad Counties. That is the Crossroads area.
    Here are the links.

&

August 24, 2010 at 4:27 p.m.
  • For all of you who are claiming that UHS is hampering the downward expansion of UHV, please get on the right page here. DOWNWARD EXPANSION HAS HAPPENED. The freshmen will be here as soon as the dorms (PURCHASED BY UHV) are ready. There is no hampering.

Stetson--"Citizens and community leaders do have a civic duty to make sure that a public university is addressing its constituent’s needs, meeting its goals and visions, and serving that community to the best of its ability." No, they don't! Universities are more than equiped to take care of themselves. They do not need some small town folks telling them what to do. Next, they'll want the right to approve curriculum or who is hired. Where does the micro-managing stop?

And if you really believe what you stated, then tell us why it has taken 38 or so years for Victoria to decide they need to tell UHV what to do?

Furthermore, there are reports in today's Advocate about the City, the college, and the school district and the tax issues. Victoria County is cutting 19 positions and the elected officials are sacrificing 1 grand apiece to help with the budget overruns. The State is 18 Billion dollars short on their budget. Where is the money supposed to come from to do what it is that y'all think 'they' should do?

It would be really nice if folks could follow along and logically work with facts rather that just come from a stubborn and emotional place.

August 24, 2010 at 4:16 p.m.
  • Please note the distinction between public and private. Citizens and community leaders do have a civic duty to make sure that a public university is addressing its constituent’s needs, meeting its goals and visions, and serving that community to the best of its ability. It doesn't make sense that UHS has been hampering the very downward expansion that they approved. Success for UHV is success for UHS!
    Expansion of Airline is an expansion of Victoria. Look what happened after Ben Jordan, John Stockbauer, and loop 463 expanded. Homes & business's went up. That's a good thing! Someone is going to make money, whether it's 10 people that own 10 acres or one person that owns all 10. Landowners have been donating land to public entities forever which is the way it works. Thank goodness they have an incentive to donate so that the public can build schools, hospitals, courthouses and yes, even universities. And I don't even mind if they put their name on the building!

August 24, 2010 at 3:43 p.m.
  • BINGO Bighorn!

Writein supporting Matt Ocker?!? Get out your ice skates folks, Hell has just frozen over!!!

August 23, 2010 at 8:53 p.m.
  • I am not sure how you got that I disagree with the community leaders. I think they have done their homework and should be given the right to present their case to UH and Tech.

As I have said many times over the last few posts - Have a little faith in our community!

August 23, 2010 at 6:53 p.m.
  • If Hudson was such a great administrator, why are the new dorms running behind schedule and classes delayed by two weeks? Perhaps, there are meaningful reasons why UH decided to let him go. I'm not buying the conspiracy theory that he was let go because he supported the downward expansion. He might have been a great cheerleader to some, but he was a poor manager...

August 23, 2010 at 6:41 p.m.
  • Also, if as Ms. Morrison said, that it is doubtful that UHV will get $68M in funding from the state, then how can the "community leaders" expect Texas Tech, or any other system to get much more state funding to build a brand spanking new campus?

If the state cannot afford $68M, why do they think a different University system can get 8 to 10X more funding from the state?

That's crazy thinking.

August 23, 2010 at 6:39 p.m.
  • Well yeah, ofthepeople, but the title of the article is...

Community leaders push to sever ties with UH System.

So I take it you don't agree with the community leaders?

Neither do I. But I guess the local leaders know how to best run a University, not a University system that has run one since 1923.

August 23, 2010 at 6:31 p.m.
  • So many negative comments, wow! I am just going to say one more time, that UHV and Dr. Hudson are an asset to our community.

I hope that people will study the issues with an open mind and do what is right for Victoria. Regardless what some of these post have said, UHV is a public university and it is up to us to make sure that it is the "best it can Be"

August 23, 2010 at 6:21 p.m.
  • The "follow the money" trail does not lead to a few hundred thousand in campaign contributions, but millions in increased land values for private landowners at public expense.

It pays to be connected in Victoria.

August 23, 2010 at 5:50 p.m.
  • I have to wonder why the mayor is pushing so hard for the campus to be moved to the airport land? I have even heard him pushing to extend Airline before the school has agreed to the move. UHV can barely handle what they have now.

August 23, 2010 at 4:38 p.m.
  • justataxpayer.

“Her House District”? The members of her so-called education commission all live in Victoria. 30th house district is more than just Victoria.

August 23, 2010 at 3:43 p.m.
  • Because of this story, the actions of the local leadership, and of this newspaper, I endorse Republican MATT OCKER FOR COUNTY JUDGE!!!!!!!!!

August 23, 2010 at 3:08 p.m.
  • Ofthepeople.

Campaign Contributions has everything to do with it. Follow the money, see who’s palm getting greased . Ask yourself that.

August 23, 2010 at 2:57 p.m.
  • Kash.

Your words can’t be anymore "truer".

August 23, 2010 at 2:35 p.m.
  • I wonder if these same leaders are going to try and push Caterpillar around if their plans don't fit what these people think should happen?

I also wonder why the parking garage for UHV is not feasible when Citizens built a new garage just across the street from the UHV campus?

August 23, 2010 at 2:07 p.m.
  • UHV needs to get their act together. They can't even keep it together with the students they have now. No one knows anything, problems with classes every semester. I would not recommend UHV to anyone unless they are prepared for constant headaches with schedules, classes, policy changes and counselors. Thank goodness we are down to the last semester.

August 23, 2010 at 1:04 p.m.
  • Freudian slip, or predicting the future...you decide.

Should read, 'The University of Houston-Victoria'.

August 23, 2010 at 12:02 p.m.
  • What this community wants is a System that will do more than pay lip service to the idea of a destination university. At this point, UH System's actions speak louder than their words. Just ask Dr. Hudson.

August 23, 2010 at 11:59 a.m.
  • For those of you who think the city leaders and a local education commission are entitled to a huge degree of input on the decisions made by the University of Houston System, please remember that the "Victoria" in the 'The University of Victoria' indicates location, not ownership.

August 23, 2010 at 11:42 a.m.
  • I commend UHV for not accepting the 100 acres near the airport. If you travel around and look, the only thing found near Airports are wharehouses and slums

Nobody wants to go to a insitution of higher learning that competes with the loud roar of airplanes. Especialy if our airport grows

August 23, 2010 at 8:34 a.m.
  • This has nothing to do with Campaign Contributions.

Bottom line - We should always be looking for ways to improve on what have. There should be a vision and a plan for the future of UHV. The people of Victoria and UHV should be able to have a say in what that vision/plan is.

August 23, 2010 at 6:09 a.m.

August 23, 2010 at 5:10 a.m.
  • Lets take a look at the why Geanie Morrison and local leaders want Texas Tech in and UHV out. Also also take a look on why HB3015 was passed.

Victoria Advocate has AGAIN drop the ball on this for failing to connect campaign contributions and recent actions.

August 23, 2010 at 12:51 a.m.

August 23, 2010 at 12:36 a.m.
  • UHS Board of Regents

John F Scovell - Dallas
    Jerry E Turner - Blanco
    John Huffier - Amarillo
    Mickey L. Long - Midland
    Nancy Neal - Lubbock
    Jeff Harris - San Angelo

Please notice the areas were the regents live. All of the regents from UHS live in Houston. Yes, I know Victoria has had regents before, but who represents our interest on the board now?

I know that all of the regents study the issues and volunteer their time to serve, and I want to say thank you for that. They serve the people of HOUSTON well. My point is, not one of them is from Victoria, how can they know what Victoria needs? I am not from Houston, so I can not and would not pretend to know what Houston needs. Where are they getting their information on Victoria from? If UHV and VC (I say VC, because two of the proposed buildings are on their property) were not included in the strategic plan (the part about were buildings would be located), than who was?

Governor Perry really needs to look at the makeup of the UH board and consider adding some geographical diversity.

August 22, 2010 at 11:20 p.m.
  • Legio357 - Why do you think the systems pays for all the programs and expenses at UHV. Maybe UHV pays for it out of thier own budget.

People assume so many things. Wow! What without the big city of Houston we would be nothing. Come on have a little faith!

August 22, 2010 at 9:05 p.m.
  • Bud, you said: "Victoria had our face slapped, disrespected and we were put in our place and let know who is in charge."

The University of Houston System is not in charge of the University of Houston-Victoria campus? The city of Victoria is? Since when?

Disrespect? Possibly on the part of the arrogant group that doesn't understand any part of the word "no".

The plan for expansion is all well and good, but without money--why keep whining? The city, county and state are all experiencing budget shortfalls in their next budgets. Where are they supposed to get the money at this time? Out of their ears?

August 22, 2010 at 7:56 p.m.
  • It belonged to UHV, well, ok.

August 22, 2010 at 5:53 p.m.
  • I hate to act like BigJ, but I did ask a couple of questions and no one has answered. Thank you radiobabe for a little info.

August 22, 2010 at 5:52 p.m.
  • As far as I can tell the COV wants this done there (his) way, look at the pic at the top of the article.

For some reason the Mayor is He77 bent on extending Airline Road, why? who knows. Which is kind of funny, the year before Foster Field AFB was closed, the federal government in a defense appropriations bill, approved funding to extend Airline out to the then base, the same bill built the control tower which was vacant for 50 years or so.

August 22, 2010 at 5:47 p.m.
  • Legion... it's my understanding that UHV doesn't have a communication problem with VC. UH System however does. Their recent proposal for new UHV buildings puts them on on VC land and they didn't even consult VC about it before the presentation.

Screams lack of planning and commitment to the project to me.

August 22, 2010 at 5:44 p.m.
  • Hudson Hall... that has a fabulous ring to it!! hahahaha

August 22, 2010 at 5:41 p.m.
  • "Without VC approval." Who actually owns that land?

UHV recently tore out and redesigned the, ( both colleges), entrance off of Ben Jordon to build the soccer field. Now how could UHV do that without VC approval?

August 22, 2010 at 5:38 p.m.
  • I don't see the UH System redirecting precious resources from the many needs of its Houston constituency to a fledgling rural university whose promise has yet to be realized.

But perhaps Texas Tech, like Caterpillar, sees something in this community that others do not. I think we're about to find out.

August 22, 2010 at 5:29 p.m.
  • This is a strange, the UH system approves downward expansion for UHV, good. UH system agrees to buy a motel for dorms to the tune of $9M total, including renovations, good. A local land owner wants to donate 100 acres on his land for a new campus, good. The COV and County of Victoria agree to spend $8M to extend Airline road to the new campus on the donated land, good, I guess. The UH system plans to ask the State of Texas for millions of dollars to expand on the current campus, in a bad year to ask for funds from the state, good.

The UH system tells the owner of the donated land thanks, but not yet. That's when the train goes off the tracks.

The Mayor gets upset that his Airline road extension isn't needed now by UHV, and he and the Commission on Education now what a different university system to more or less buy out the UHV campus, accept the land, and be grateful the COV and the County will build them a road for $8M.

Just a couple of questions, 1. Does the offer of donated land from the Buehlers come with a time limit of when it is accepted?
    2. Why is the COV and the County in such a hurry to extend Airline Road, is that $8M just burning a hole in there pockets wanting to be spent?

From what I can tell the UH system has already invested $9M, not to mention the costs for the added sports programs, and will ask the state for another, what was it?, $71M, to spend in Victoria and now that isn't enough?

August 22, 2010 at 5:08 p.m.
  • I am all over that JD! Hudson Hall has a really nice ring to it!

August 22, 2010 at 5 p.m.
  • Kudos to the business leaders for confronting the UHS about our future relationship. Finally we are talking about the White Elephant in the room. From the get go I have felt a reluctance from the Board of Regents to help us become all that we can be. One just had to know from his demeanor that the former chairman of the board was reluctant to buy into the process. Why I am not sure but it was written all over his actions. And that was certainly his right, however once the community could see the possibilities you cannot go back. And we cannot do this without co-operation between the two parties.

But wait, the story gets better! In their infinite wisdom UHS decides to "elevate" Tim Hudson to a higher position. Really??? It's two weeks from the historical opening of the freshman class that is possible due to his hard work and effort and all of a sudden he is gone? Do not believe for one minute that this was his choice. Come on people even I saw this as the classic shot across the bow! Victoria had our face slapped, disrespected and we were put in our place and let know who is in charge. If that act alone does not raise huge red flags then we will get what we deserve. You do not treat a RESPECTED partner in that way EVER! And then they come down here with some goofy plan that has no long range thought to it and is myopic at best. So they have taken out the leader and one of the driving forces behind this expansion that would change the complexion of Victoria and UHS for well into the future. From this point forward we will have slow or no growth with UHS. You know it depends on what you believe. I think UHS believes it will be slow. But hey we have (had) a dynamic guy that could make it grow and he can again. But it has to be with a dynamic partner!

Here's how I see it. They have told us who they are and up until now we wouldn't believe them. Now I think we do believe them and I think they are going to be dragging their feet and treating us like the kid in the back of the line.

For my $$ we need to find a dynamic partner who wants to dance with us in a dynamic way to be what we can be. Someone who is excited about the future and has the can do to get things done. We need to get Tim Hudson back at the helm and let him bring that enthusiasm to our future and make this thing happen. And one day we will look up and say "now where were we"! Tim has great leadership skills and is well respected who can take us far into the future. I am afraid that it will not happen with our present partner. They may have a culture and climate that simply will not allow it. And no I don't understand it! A good dance partner is hard to find!

August 22, 2010 at 4:28 p.m.
  • VC is set up as a Junior College and to my knowledge has no intention of merging as one institution. That has been tried before in other communities and has not turned out so well.

UHV is an asset to Victoria and should be given the tools and support from UHS to be successful. UHS seems to have a different vision for UHV and Victoria than the community does, this is where a university such as Tech who understands the rural communities, could come into play.

UHV and the community should look at ALL options.

August 22, 2010 at 4:14 p.m.
  • Why not just make victoria college a major degree school ( university) and move it to the 100 acres and turn the VC campus into visd schools or into more medical use buildings for CMC to expand into. VC already is well known as a junior college so why not make it a university and do away with UHV all together.

August 22, 2010 at 4:04 p.m.
  • JackDeuce... I couldn't have said it better myself!! From the beginning, UH System has made it clear that they have no interest in what's good for Victoria; only what's good for UH System. That's not a partnership. It's time to bring in a educational institution who is committed to working with our community for a strong future for all parties.

I would encourge the Commission on Education to keep up their efforts of working towards what's best for our region and I would like to thank Dr. Hudson for all his hard work and commitment getting us this far!

August 22, 2010 at 3:53 p.m.
  • ofthepeople...UT-Tyler became a four year institution in 1998. In the 2000 census, Smith County (in which Tyler is located) had a population of close to 175,000. That's not including their SMSA.
    The entire Victoria SMSA, in 2009, was estimated at only 109,000.

Again, trying to compare Tyler (or Corpus Christi) does not work when you are looking at the population.

Simply because people are questioning the wisdom of expansion plans in these economic times, and question the wisdom of issuing ultimatums to the UH-System, does not mean we don't have faith in Victoria.

You are right...buildings won't appear overnight and we need to plan for the future. I, for one, believe the projected enrollment figures for UH-Victoria are very, very optimistic. If, two-three years from now enrollment figures are in line with what is being projected now, then that's the time to make concrete, long-term plans. Hopefully, the state will be in a better financial condition then as well.

August 22, 2010 at 11:29 a.m.
  • Can someone explain to me why the mayor and two other members of the commission on education met with city and county leaders of Sugar Land?

BTW...it is true that SL wants to have it's own university. Perhaps that is why I'm so confused about our leaders meeting with their leaders. SL is somewhat our competition, so why buddy up with them?

August 22, 2010 at 11:09 a.m.
  • Years ago hundreds of people work extremely hard to get UH to come to Victoria. They worked long and hard.

This new crop of "community leaders" are hell bent on drivng UH away

August 22, 2010 at 11:04 a.m.
  • Ok - "Sugar Land" not "Sugarland"

If you nay sayers would sit down and look at the commission plan versus the UHS plan, I think that you would come to the same conclusions that the "community leaders" have come to. When you have two buildings on another person land, doen't you think you should at least ask them before you include it in a master plan?

I have to ask "why not Victoria" have you so little faith in our community?

I hope that the people at UHS, UHV, Tech, or any other interested party, do not depend to much on the information posted on these blogs. They are not creditable sources! Please do your homework on the facts or personally come to Victoria and ask the community how they feel.

August 22, 2010 at 10:43 a.m.
  • YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!

"I am asking you again to forget about the land and builing issue and help us find another university partner who will share our vision for higher education here in Victoria...." Mayor Willie

UN *********%%%%%%% UNBELIEVABLE

August 22, 2010 at 9:57 a.m.

August 22, 2010 at 9:53 a.m.
  • Watch out Victoria leaders, you will scare away Caterpillar. You'll were just patting each other on the back.

August 22, 2010 at 9:43 a.m.
  • What was the population of Tyler before they had the four year campus? I am sure it was much less than your numbers.

I believe that students will want to come to Victoria, and if that holds true, UHV will need additional space in time. It does not make since to build a whole bunch of buildings on the current campus with so little room to grow. I am not saying it has to happen tomorrow, I am saying that any additional buildings on the current location would not be a good use of state funding, when they will have to move locations in the future.

I have also heard that Sugarland may want to become its own university, that is one of the reasons that UHV must plan now!

You can not just take student counts away- UHV offers those courses at the other campuses. Their Faculty and staff teach and support those courses. That is an "Austin " decision not a UHS decision.

August 22, 2010 at 8:49 a.m.
  • OK..let's try this again:

Our "leaders" seem to be out-of-touch with reality. The state is facing a $15-20 billion dollar shortfall over the next biennium. What STATE university is going to assume the added expense of an additional campus when they are facing layoffs and program cutbacks with what they have now?

The UH System should face this threat with one of their own...they should strip UH-Victoria of the ability to count students who are actually enrolled at Sugar Land and Cinco Ranch...students who never set foot in Victoria (except maybe to buy textbooks at the beginning of the semester). Let the people see how many Victoria area students are actually taking classes at UH-V. Then they will see what kind of boondoggle this overly ambitous current plan being pushed by local leaders is.

I do support the growth of UH-Victoria, but this growth should be based upon a realistic view of enrollment growth AND the financial stability of the state.

Was Mayor Armstrong's letter written on city letterhead? Did he write the letter in his capacity as Mayor, or as a "leader" of the community? Is his position the official position of the City of Victoria?

Ofthepeople...I clearly stated I support the growth of UH-Victoria in my earlier post (which was deleted...not by me...for some reason). I just think that now is a lousy time (economically speaking) to be pushing for (and issuing threats to UH System about) such an ambitious plan.

And Tyer and Corpus Christi aren't exactly in the same category as Victoria when it comes to population. The latest numbers I could find for the Tyler SMSA (Smith and Cherokee Counties) was a little over 253,000 people. The Corpus Christi SMSA (Aransas, San Patricio and Nueces) had an estimated population of a little over 400,000 people. The Victoria SMSA (Calhoun, Goliad, Victoria) had an estimated 115,500 people as of 2009.

Yes, I do know that the universities in Tyler and Corpus Christi draw students from outside their SMSA (as will UH-Victoria), but the core population of the three areas cannot be used to justifiably compare them

August 22, 2010 at 6:47 a.m.
  • KCI - there are examples of other university's downward expanding. UT Tyler (is a small town similar to Victoria) Corpus Christo A&M, they all did well. They also had state money to build buildings before they even had any freshman.

If you do not believe in Victoria, just look at the numbers and success of the other campus that have done the same thing that UHV is trying to do.

It's not like the new buildings will be here tomorrow. UHV will have to meet goals before funding is awarded, but we as a community must plan for the future now!

August 21, 2010 at 10:37 p.m.

August 21, 2010 at 9:53 p.m.
  • What is wrong with Victoria? LOL

I'm a grad of VHS.....GONE
    Crain Middle School.....GONE
    Undergrad...UHV.....THINKING OF BEING GONE!

Thank God I have UTSA left....where I got my masters. Go 'Runners! Football 2011! :)

August 21, 2010 at 8:41 p.m.
  • Welcome to Victoria 200 incoming Freshmen.

Come join us as our "community leaders" push to severe ties with your newly chosen alma mater. Hope you brought your boots as I would guess you will be doin some walkin, down the road to another university. Be sure and pay homage to King Willie on your way out. He's only looking out for your best interest.

August 21, 2010 at 7:55 p.m.
  • Geanie lives in Victoria to. That was a weird comment ?

August 21, 2010 at 6:56 p.m.
  • Geanie needs to talk to her brother, who lives in Victoria, before she makes goofy statements like that.

August 21, 2010 at 6:53 p.m.
  • Out of all the recommendations this blue panel group of people on the Crossroads Commission on Education have made, which by the way is the only one, this is the most idiotic ,(only), thing they have come up with? I thought they where suppose to study from birth to a college degree?

Wheres all the ideas on anything other than UHV s downward expansion and what they think the UH system should spend on a new campus?

Good grief, some people make the argument that UH is not planning for the future, and then say that asking the state of Texas for $71M is unfeasible in this fiscal climate.

I guess if the UH system asked for, just my guess, $500M to build brand new buildings on the free 100 acres of land, the state would just rubber stamp that request, never mind that the state can't afford the $71M.

August 21, 2010 at 6:50 p.m.
  • Correct EA.

August 21, 2010 at 6:35 p.m.
  • longgone--

Amen!

August 21, 2010 at 6:24 p.m.
  • Legion--

If we are talking 'butts in seats', your figures are incorrect. For Victoria, it was like 506. Online students don't need 'space' or parking.

Of the Universities that have taken in other campuses, I'd like to know the particulars of those deals. I cannot see Tech or anyone else looking at Victoria and saying anything but, "You want us to spend how much money for how many students?" I just don't see it.

Yeah, piss them all off and let UH pull out, and then you have what? Not much.

August 21, 2010 at 6:20 p.m.

August 21, 2010 at 6:12 p.m.
  • Well why not Edith? IF the Airline extension doesn't get built for UHV, Mayor Will, what will become of the legacy?

Lets take a look at the UH Campuses, area of campuses they use and enrollment, keep in mind that the UHV numbers DO NOT include the other campuses called that.

University of Houston, Campus size 667 acres, Founded 1927, enrollment 37,000

University of Houston–Clear Lake ,Campus size 524 acres, Founded 1971, enrollment 7,644

University of Houston–Downtown, Campus size 20 acres, Founded 1974, enrollment 12,742

University of Houston–Victoria, Campus size 20 acres, Founded 1973, enrollment 3,654.

So the COV, gets annoyed at the UH system, I do not think threats are the best path to take, they just might get what they ask for.

August 21, 2010 at 5:58 p.m.
  • Texas Tech has my vote.

August 21, 2010 at 5:57 p.m.
  • I'm shocked. I didn't see this coming.

August 21, 2010 at 5:14 p.m.
  • Wreck them Tech. It sure would be nice to have a Tech campus around here. Nothing like the real thing but heck, if UH does want to support the current plan, lets jump the ship like San Angelo did and become Red Raiders by proxy.

August 21, 2010 at 4:28 p.m.