Comments

• A tax increase in this economy is a bad idea. no matter how small it takes money away from families and gives it to public officials who have a poor record of spending it wisely. I would rather see all segments of local govt look at their budgets and see if there are way to save money through better management and better scheduling of work to eliminate wasted man hours and duplicated services. Also make better and more use of inmates and those on probation to do some of the work like mowing and clean up that we now pay for. Also public projects for those who want to do community based service work like park clean up days or neighborhood recycling drives to help clean up our city and reduce hours spent by workers doing these type of things.

August 27, 2010 at 4:56 a.m.
  • Lamppost,

Yes, I made a mistake in the $1million amount of debt service. I have been reviewing budgets and year end audits. There are over 600 pages of financial documents covering just the last 4 years and I picked up the wrong number while working on this late in the evening. It is difficult to research some of these numbers as the format for reporting has changed some during the years I have reviewed and I attempt to be VERY accurate in the numbers I report and just made a mistake.

Please check the numbers for yourself, don't just use my posts.

Per the 2006 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report in 2005 the debt service expenditures were $5,536,014 (on city website). Per the proposed 2010/2011 budget debt service expenditures will be $8,313,338 (again on city website). Per the same proposed budget, "Summary of Debt Service Charges to Maturity", 2018 will be $10,122,022. $5.5 million to $10.1 million is not quite double but the 2018 numbers only include existing debt and do not consider additional debt incurred over the next 7 years.

If anyone wants more detail, go to the city website. I only use numbers that are posted on official websites, City of Victoria, Texas Municipal League and Department of Public Safety. If I can help direct you to the exact page in the documents I have reviewed, E-mail me at jeff@vctbbs.com and I can give you the link to what you are looking for.

August 25, 2010 at 7:43 p.m.
  • Here's a good source for City budgets & CAFRs is you guys want to do your own research:
    www.MattOcker.com/records

August 25, 2010 at 7:24 p.m.
  • Thank You, Mr. Williams ,,,,,,,, your post was much more informative than the Advocate's article.

The '$5.00' IS important, and the principle represented by the '$5.00' is even more important.

August 25, 2010 at 5:20 p.m.
  • In the past nine years, our property taxes have have increased every single year. ENOUGH!! When my taxes go up, my mortgage goes up.... my mortgage goes up, the amount of money I can spend supporting local businesses goes down... the less money local businesses bring in, the less they have to give back to the community... It's a vicious cycle!!!!

August 25, 2010 at 1:40 p.m.
  • Just some facts so you can make your own determination.

Comparing 2005 actual to proposed 2011:

Population growth - 2.7% [Texas Municipal League]
    General fund expenditure increase- 20% [10X population growth]
    Debt/population increase- 37% [15X population growth]

Debt service increase- 50% [20X population growth]
    [Projected debt service in 2018 will be twice what it was in 2005]

Police personnel available funding is being decreased in budget.
    Reported crime incidents (per DPS) 2007 to 2008 up 12%
    Reported crime incidents (per DPS) 2008 to 2009 up 21%

All of this information is available online at the City website, the TML website and the DPS website.

August 25, 2010 at 10:24 a.m.
  • No matter what, we will get a tax increase.

August 25, 2010 at 9:22 a.m.
  • if the money is properly used, i think the people of victoria can afford a $5 increase

if the money is improperly used, tar and feather the crooks in office

August 25, 2010 at 1:05 a.m.
  • I can live with a $5 increase for better streets, police and fire. Hagan stop complaining. Your rhetoric is getting annoying. You are ar broken record with no substance. Maybe Truman will develop a backbone or Gabriel will realize... no he never will. Council pass the budget as is with the $5 increase. I can live without a pack of cigs.

August 24, 2010 at 10:56 p.m.