Comments

• Obviously I must pay attention because it seems remarkably clear to me:

VicAd reporter writes a book that is of interest to the local area, VicAd newspaper prints 7 part series of excerpts from the book.

It's that simple.

Interesting to note that Charles Dickens was the editor of Bentley's Miscellany magazine when he used the publication to serialize one of his most famous novels - Oliver Twist - under the pseudonym "Boz" in 1837.

August 27, 2010 at 12:03 p.m.
  • What was the last book that was given a seven-part series in your paper and how are other books in the future going to be treated? Only readers who actually pay attention would be aware that the Bum Phillips book is written by a newspaper staff member. Will an author who is from Victoria or who has written about someone who lives in the area now be given the same publicity? I don’t want to jump to any conclusions, but my wager would be no.
    And that response from VictoriaAdvocateStaff is very juvenile. Basically, what you’re saying is that no one should ask any questions because the content is a “tribute” to veterans. Isn’t questioning motives one of the main tenants of journalism?

August 27, 2010 at 11:29 a.m.
  • Newspapers have a long tradition of publishing excerpts from new books. Often, newspapers or magazines will even pay for the right to serialize a novel. We see this as a wonderful way to give readers additional content for free -- they certainly don't have to buy the book.

This particular chapter of Coach Phillips' book also serves as a tribute to all of veterans as we approach the 65th anniversary of the end of WWII. We're a bit perplexed by why anyone would complain about this story.

August 27, 2010 at 11:10 a.m.

August 27, 2010 at 1:51 a.m.
  • I love Bum Phillips. He and Earl inspired many Houstonians during sopme tough time economic times with the "Luv Ya Blue" craze.

But, yes, this is a shameless promo for the book. What I don't get is does the Advocate think that after reading this for seven days straight that people will rush out and buy the book?

As far as Bum being a local hero, he never lived in the area until a few years ago, when he and his wife decided to retire on a ranch near Goliad. I think "local hero" is kind of a reach.

But if that is the best Victoria can do, then go for it.

August 26, 2010 at 6:30 p.m.
  • wordup, Are you really that naïve? No response from anyone at the newspaper speaks volumes. This isn’t an indoctrination of the quality or subject of the story, just a journalism ethics question I’m asking about. The question is – Is this series, that is taken straight from the book, a newspaper item or an advertisement to get people to purchase the book. Pretty straight forward question I as a reader had.

August 26, 2010 at 6:16 p.m.
  • You really don't understand that this is part 2 of a series on a local sports legend? Wow.

August 26, 2010 at 2:58 p.m.
  • I didn't ask that question rhetorically. I would appreciate an answer.

August 26, 2010 at 2:50 p.m.
  • Keep 'em coming - good stuff!

August 26, 2010 at 2:23 p.m.
  • Is this article a paid ad for a book? I don't get it.

August 25, 2010 at 10:29 p.m.