Comments

• Pass the peanuts

September 1, 2010 at 4:40 a.m.
  • EdithAnn...no, that information is not necessarily found in the County budget, but I do know how to use Google!

I believe the state pays the salary of District Judges, and counties may supplement that salary, at their discretion. District Clerk salaries, I believe, are set by the local Commissioners Court.

I, too, think this would make an interesting article for the Advocate to pursue.

August 31, 2010 at 6:40 p.m.
  • That's what I was talking about KCi--you know all this stuff, and I know THAT was not in the Victoria County Budget!

Do you know about the other 'District' officials? Does the state set the rate for the District Judges, and the District Clerk? Is their salary State paid, or all County?

Advocate--this would be a good story, educate us all.

August 31, 2010 at 4:12 p.m.
  • oxymoron...a District Attorney may not supplement his own salary using forfeiture funds. His salary is set by the state. A county may, if it chooses, supplement the salary.

August 31, 2010 at 3:11 p.m.

August 31, 2010 at 1:27 p.m.
  • I see this as being all political despite his being a prosecutor and not a politician. He offers a pay cut to his salary two months before election. Then says the pay cuts should be based on a percentage. Most of his salary is paid by the state so the percentage the county pays is minimal so his pay cut would be very minuscule. And now that we know he can use forfiture money to pay salaries for his employees, I bet he will just supplement his income himself. So all in all he looks good by saying he is willing to take a pay cut and suggest a bigger pay cut by basing it off of a percentage. But in reality I don't see him losing much if any salary due to the small percentage it would be and the ability to make up that loss with forfiture money.

August 31, 2010 at 12:02 p.m.
  • standamazed...$140,000 includes the supplement.

Agree with Tyler or not....at least he made the offer. I don't think it was a political ploy. But...even if it has some political overtones...aren't the taxpayers of Victoria County the beneficiaries? Let's see if the district judges step up to the plate.

August 31, 2010 at 11:39 a.m.

August 31, 2010 at 11:02 a.m.
  • I agree with Tyler. I’d also like to commend him for stepping forward as an elected official and calling out the commissioner’s court. The proposed pay cuts should absolutely be based on a percentage of ones pay. But going with a percentage would get into their pockets, so I’m sure that won’t happen.

August 31, 2010 at 10:57 a.m.
  • I agree with wrood....He is trying to save his elected position now after raising so much turmoil in the city. His rantings cost the city alot of new business due to the fact that you can read about his infantile behavior in all the media outlets. Lets make a change for the better by voting him out!!!

August 31, 2010 at 9:53 a.m.
  • $140,000 is one heck of a 'supplement'. How much is the salary from the state?

August 31, 2010 at 8:23 a.m.
  • Election is in just over two months. Tyler's thrown so many infantile tantrums during his tenure, he knows he needs to buy some votes. And it will probably work.

August 31, 2010 at 8:19 a.m.

August 31, 2010 at 7:42 a.m.
  • You're welcome. As I said, all of the information came from the county's 2010 budget book, available on-line. It can be an interesting and enlightening read.

August 30, 2010 at 9:09 p.m.
  • Thanks, KCi for straightening that out. You always know so much about that office. Appreciate it!

August 30, 2010 at 7:08 p.m.
  • EdithAnn...yesterday's article had a couple of inaccuracies. One was the statement about county tax dollars paying for all employees of the DA's office except Tyler's. As I pointed out, three positions are paid out of the office's "hot check" fund, fees paid by hot check writers. Gabe Semenza admitted it was an inaccuracy, but I did not see a correction in today's paper.

Another inaccuracy (or omission) in the article dealt with Tyler's salary. What the article failed to mention is that, in addition to the salary paid by the state, Tyler (and the district judges) receive a supplement from the county. That is what Tyler was referring when he offered to take a salary cut...the supplement, not his state salary. It would be interesting to see if the district judges follow his example.

All of this information is available on-line (County budget 2010). So...two rather glaring inaccuracies in one article that could have been prevented by a little research.

More "fair and balanced" reporting by the Advocate? Let's see if the Editorial Board gives Tyler a "thumbs up" this week for his offer.

August 30, 2010 at 7:02 p.m.
  • From yesterday's story about Sam Eyre’s position at the DA’s office:

“County tax dollars fund the salaries for everyone who works in Tyler's office - except for Tyler. The district attorney collects his paycheck from the state.”

From this story:

“Cut my pay more if you would before you cut the constables," said Stephen Tyler, the criminal district attorney. "I'd hate to see them suffer egregiously.”

August 30, 2010 at 5:46 p.m.