Comments

• I heard that a Woodway resident was caught repeatedly driving and then backing over the traffic counter. The lengths these people will go to to keep licensed driving tax payers out of their neighborhood.

If they close Nursery Dr. they are more nuts than I originally thought.

Personally I think its a red herring to float a balloon about closing Nursery Dr. and then when they do close Railwood everyone else will just be relieved it wasn't Nursery Dr.

Or they really could just be that stupid. The problem with any of our governments is that they are extremely short sighted. Whether they just want to stop the phone calls complaining about the problem du jour, or whether its simply complete incompetence in knowing that every one of their actions has consequences that they never seem to be able to foresee.

Lastly, when most if not all of these residents moved into Woodway it had 4 entrances and those parameters have not changed. If they didn't foresee the day when people they didn't want driving on the public streets that they seem to think they own would be driving by their homes, they should have thought twice and maybe chose elsewhere. I understand that speeding and not stopping at stop signs is wrong and people shouldn't do it. But should we close city maintained streets on a city R.O.W. Let's set that precedent. Who's next? Why don't we entertain all offers? Maybe then the street repair budget can be cut.

December 9, 2010 at 10:16 p.m.
  • Sooooooo they want to close Nursery Drive instead of Railway? Isn't Nursery Drive like the "access road" that runs parallel to the Hwy? What then about the people that live in Tropical Acres & that Lakewhatever neighborhood? That would force them onto the Hwy to please one neighborhood? If the CC allows this to happen you people better REVOLT.

December 8, 2010 at 8:45 p.m.
  • tstorm: Yes I mean Ben Jordan and Sam Houston. I' ve been fighting this fight for nearly 15 years. Thank God my children are finally grown so that I don't have to worry about them running after an errant ball. I have seen too many close calls, and many more pets killed.

I'm kind of glad they moved the high schools. It has cut down on some of the traffic.

December 8, 2010 at 2:03 p.m.
  • When several of us on our street got together and complained about speeders (we have a long straight road and some seem to think it is a drag race strip), we were told speed bumps were not allowed, that installing slow down signs wouldn't work, and no increase in patrolling was given. So basically so sad, too bad.

I like the idea of offering the homeowner's association the option of buying the road and then taking of its care. Some of our tax dollars could be returned.

December 8, 2010 at 12:51 p.m.
  • Hear we go again with these Woodway babies. I don't believe that 400 vehicles use Railway each day. I drive by this neighborhood each day to and from work, and I am going to start driving thru Woodway just cause I can. I think everyone should take an extra minute and do the same !

December 8, 2010 at 10:32 a.m.
  • A few years ago I (as the spokesperson for my neighborhood) asked the city to at the least to consider placing speed humps on our street because of the high traffic cutting through from Ben Jordan to Sam Houston. I was told that it would impede fire and ems traffic. Since station 2 is now being moved and road construction is approaching maybe we should organize and petition the city planners to research the traffic on our street.

Oh but wait, we are but mere pheasants here to cater to the wills of the mighty. I keep forgetting that commoners children are not as important as those of the hierarchy.

Go ahead VicAd banish me from the kingdom.

December 8, 2010 at 10:19 a.m.
  • Residents said speeding drivers and others using it as a cut-through to avoid major interchanges endangered Woodway residents, including children.

Come on now, what makes Woodway so special? Other subdivisions have the same problem with speeders and the $64.00 question, where are the cops?

December 8, 2010 at 9:27 a.m.
  • THIS IS AMAZING. A subdivisions Neighborhood Committee can arbitrarily decide to CLOSE CITY STREETS to exclude other TAX PAYING city residents. How in the world is this fair? How many people on Mead Rd in Northcrest subdivision would like their road closed to through traffic? How about closing Spring Creek Dr in Country Club? Or just about any other road that people live on. The fact is, the people of Woodway are more important than the rest of us, is that right?

December 8, 2010 at 9:12 a.m.
  • From the article:
    "The city has wrapped up traffic counts in the Woodway subdivision and is awaiting a recommendation from a neighborhood committee"

Am I understanding this wrong; The "neighborhood committee" is telling the city what needs to be done?? Regardless what the remaining population of Victoria thinks, although these are public streets??

But I do think this is fantastic!! I live in the Northcrest area and, unlike Woodway, we don't have sidewalks that our kids can walk on, they have to walk on the street with the speeders!!! So if this street gets closed because the "committee" wants it closed that will allow us to get all of our streets closed too, otherwise the city will be discriminating.

December 8, 2010 at 8:02 a.m.
  • As long as Victoria citizens pay taxes to support ALL city streets, All Victoria citizens should be able to drive on them. If residents want the street closed, then they should obtain it from the city and make it private with their homeowner association responsible for upkeep. I kinda like the idea of closing all but one street in and out. It'd be just like the schools. THAT should make the homeowners happy!

December 8, 2010 at 7:39 a.m.
  • You close all entrance and exits except one and that could seriously impact evacuation issues should that need ever arise. It could also impede access by emergency vehicles and/or law enforcement should some sort of hostage situation arise. Yes, I know that is a very high class neighborhood, but worse things have happened in nicer neighborhoods.

And I agree with Familyman...Leave Nursery Drive alone. That is the way to cross to the far side of the loop and miss both the lights on 87, especially if you live in one of the neighborhoods off Nursery Drive, not just Woodway. Woodway is not the beginning and ending of the world. There are other ways of dealing with this issue than shutting the entrances. What about the residents who live close to the entrances at Nursery Drive? Seems like a few are speaking for all.

December 8, 2010 at 6:44 a.m.
  • What effect, if any, would these closings have on the neighborhood in the event of a rail mishap involving hazardous materials? With the rail traffic and large vehicle volume at the nearby intersections, there IS a known risk, and the Woodway residents are likely to be affected should this scenario playout. I'm not trying to throw a kink in the works, but I just hadn't read of this being a factor in the decision making. Have a Great Day.

December 8, 2010 at 6:37 a.m.
  • What Texas law states that traffic can not drive on any street if they do the speed limit or less. A street is a street. If I want to save time and not have to get involved in a traffic jam to get home then I should be able to use any street I need. I don't go through Woodway and it would only save seconds and not minutes. Leave Nursery Drive alone. It is the way to Stripes store from Hiway 87. It is a needed service road. Closing it would cost more than money.

December 8, 2010 at 5:53 a.m.
  • DON'T COLSE NURSERY DRIVE AT ALL. IT TAKES AWAY FROM THE TRAFFIC ON THE HIGHWAY FOR THOSE OF US THAT ARE SCARED OF THE TRAFFIC JAM AND ARE JUST GOING HOME. IT IS A VALUABLE AVENUE!
    As for Woodway close all exits except one. Just one enterance and exit. That will stop the cut through traffic. Problem solved there at Woodway. Just because Woodway has a problem don't make the rest of us pay for it. No Nursery Drive Closure!!!

December 8, 2010 at 5:48 a.m.