Comments

• In the interest of public safety, Ban this behavior ASAP! And Chief Ure, this includes your own staff. I witness more poor driving skills and inattention by this city's police officers than it's citizens. Discipline your own force as a example first, please Sir.

December 29, 2010 at 2:01 a.m.
  • Cell phones nowadays are more than making phone calls or texting. Checking Facebook, internet and emails are a big part of cell phones also. VPD has a Facebook page, makes you wonder if ole Ure and Guerra are updating it while driving. They shouldn't be on FB anyways while they are "on duty". I am a friend and they state the point of it was to update us on crimes, missing persons, etc. All I ever see is Ure or Guerra patting themselves on the back over their goofy commercial.

December 27, 2010 at 9:03 p.m.
  • As you may already know, there are 330,000 accidents and 6,000 deaths that occur annually primarily from drivers distracted by their mobile phone, which is equivalent to a major airliner going down every week.

We have the hands-free solution that allows drivers to call, email, text or post by voice command from any phone.

Our solution helps drivers keep their hands on the wheel and their eyes on the road for maximum safety and productivity.

We would like to form a strategic alliance with you.

Together we can help save lives.

Please try it for free at www.VoiceAssistTrial.com and then call me directly as soon as conveniently possible.

Sincerely,

Chris Butchko
    O: 949-655-2259
    W: www.VoiceAssist.com
    E: Chris@VoiceAssist.com

December 27, 2010 at 2:52 p.m.
  • I would like to state that my comments were not meant to demean Chief Ure in any way. I respect that he is attempting a very difficult thing as the Chief of Police. I intend only to comments on his thoughts about technology, respectfully. : )

December 27, 2010 at 1:54 p.m.
  • So lame - ahem - cannot believe the police dept has time to say stupid things - my god - what a waste of the tax payers money

December 27, 2010 at 12:31 p.m.
  • There seems to be a line of thought that says we must be in constant communication with every other person on the planet. Don't get me wrong. I think cell phones, lap tops are great pieces of technology. What I don't understand is why it is important to answer every message instantly.

Sometimes it is good to look into the eyes of the person your speaking with.

December 27, 2010 at 10:30 a.m.
  • this deserves repeating:

WHAT ABOUT LAW ENFORCEMENT USING LAPTOPS WHILE DRIVING?

Same fallacy with anti-gun people. They're terrified to see a firearm in the hands of a citizen but feel wonderful about police with machine guns.

December 27, 2010 at 10:05 a.m.
  • For everyone thinking this will save lives instead of just give cops another excuse to pull you over - go read the Con article.
    "The Highway Loss Data Institute reported in September that was the finding of a new study by its researchers.

"In fact, such bans are associated with a slight increase in the frequency of insurance claims filed under collision coverage for damage to vehicles in crashes," the report states. "This finding is based on comparisons of claims in four states before and after texting ban, compared with patterns of claims in nearby states."

So why was there an increase in the frequency of accidents after bans were enacted?"
    This will not save your loved ones from stupid behavior. Requiring society to be intelligent all on it's own will.

December 27, 2010 at 9:51 a.m.
  • "Texting is in its infancy and the next generation of messaging devices is going to require more attention, making them even more dangerous, he said."

- actually that's the opposite of what will happen. I can talk to my cell phone and it will send texts. Hands free, voice controlled is the future. Tech always goes towards more automation less involvement.

- Texting is nowhere near infancy. It's tech generations old. It's a mature technology.

- VISDmom - kudos : D

December 27, 2010 at 9:50 a.m.
  • All the ranting and raving will do nothing to stop any of this stupid activity that people do while driving until the PD starts leading my example. Not only the PD but all of the city employees that continually run stop signs in city owned vehicles.

I agree with the comments about police officers on cellphones, speeding and looking the "other way" when they see obvious traffic violations committed by individuals. Ure needs to bring his house under control NOW not later or be replaced.

December 27, 2010 at 8:54 a.m.
  • Can't be any worse than the officers in their cars with a computer in front of them and also with a cell phone in hand. I have seen them run red lights while doing something on the computers....go and ban that while you're at it.

December 27, 2010 at 8:19 a.m.
  • THE DRIVER 'SITTING ON' A GREEN LIGHT OR THE A HOLE DRIVING
    15 MPH BELOW THE SPEED LIMIT, WEAVING SLIGHTLY IS EITHER
    DIALING OR TEXTING.
    IT'S ALWAYS OBVIOUS!

December 26, 2010 at 7:07 p.m.

December 26, 2010 at 7:06 p.m.
  • I think we live in a culture where business people need to 'hit the ball over the net'. Teens consider it rude not to reply immediately to texts. Home schedules would grind to a halt without immediate communication. We are conditioned to pursue this level of efficiency but we are all supposed cease this behavior once we sit in our respective 5,000 pound pieces of steel and glass. Anyone can win an argument in a forum like this by saying "Just put the phone away" - but we can see its just not happening.

I just read that 72% of teens text daily - many text more 4000 times a month. New college students no longer have email addresses! They use texting and Facebook - even with their professors. This text and drive issue is in its infancy and I think we need to do more than legislate.

I decided to do something about distracted driving after my three year old daughter was nearly run down right in front of me by a texting driver. Instead of a shackle that locks down phones and alienates the user (especially teens) I built a tool called OTTER that is a simple GPS based texting auto reply app for smartphones. It also silences call ringtones while driving unless you have a bluetooth enabled. I think if we can empower the individual then change will come to our highways now and not just our laws.

Erik Wood, owner
    OTTER LLC
    OTTER app

December 26, 2010 at 6:56 p.m.
  • pilot,

If it makes one person stop, then the laws are worth it, exspecially if that one person would have killed an innocent person had they not stopped.
    You would think the same thing is that one person saved, was someone in your immediate family.

December 26, 2010 at 6:09 p.m.
  • What about putting on makeup while driving?

Fiddling with a GPS navigator?

Or changing the radio?

Smoking a cigarette?

The point is, where does it stop? People will do it regardless of the legality. Now their heads will be on a swivel looking for LEOs. We need less laws, not more.

December 26, 2010 at 3 p.m.
  • Pilot, I agree. I ride a motorcycle and I am always driving in self defense or more like self preservation mode. Each time we pass someone on the road we put our lives into their hands for a split second. It's like my dad told me when I was a kid learning to drive, "It's not you I'm worried about, it's all the other crazy people around you".

December 26, 2010 at 2:47 p.m.
  • It's going to take a couple of high profile cases of vehicular manslaughter, with life sentences, to deter people from texting while driving.

December 26, 2010 at 2:27 p.m.
  • I agree, it was the RV's carrier that supboenaed the records. My daughter had to take them to court to get them to pay anything and they were trying to find anything they could to get them out of it.

December 26, 2010 at 2:25 p.m.
  • born2bme, I believe that,but I think it is more about the insurance companies protecting their bottom line than protecting your daughters life.

December 26, 2010 at 2:13 p.m.
  • tnt88,

My daughter was in an accident with a RV and her cell phone records were subpoenaed.

December 26, 2010 at 2:01 p.m.
  • This is all about the insurance companies interest. These monster monopolies control our everyday lives by lobbying for new laws to be past to regulate everything from our employment to eating habits. They don't care if people text and drive until it starts cutting into profits. We can not pass laws to abolish electronic devices from our vehicles, but I do believe that in the near future that cell phone records will be court ordered into evidence as to the cause of an accident, so the insurance companies will be able to deny coverage. Has anyone ever looked inside of a police cruiser? Talk about being distracted.....

December 26, 2010 at 1:50 p.m.
  • A more important question would be what is so difficult about people actually making INTELLIGENT decisions while driving? What is so incredibly important that you absolutely must text and drive?

A law banning cell phone use of any kind (including hands-free/blue tooth) would be virtually impossible to enforce. Who can tell from the outside of the car whether someone is talking hands-free or singing along to a song or talking to a small child? That is only one more step to total government control over our lives. Are people actually so lazy as to want to abrogate their own responsibilities for their actions and just let the government tell them what to do and when to do it?

Perhaps we need to divide the United States into different regions: a region that wants the government to totally dictate their lives and what they can do, and another region that governs as was originally decided when the nation was founded. Let's see how long each region lasts. My stars, it makes me see fire when I hear one more person say "Oh let's just pass a law about ..." this, that, or the other thing. No, that's the road to total government domination over its population. Do you really want to go down that road?

December 26, 2010 at 1:16 p.m.
  • What is so difficult about passing a law that simply says " no cell phone use of ANY kind is permitted while driving a motor vehicle". The penalty for commiting this offense should be loss of drivers license and motor vehicle impounded.

December 26, 2010 at 12:12 p.m.