Comments

• radiobabe......Did you read my post? This whole campaign is a straight out and out lie. That's the point to my post. We have to quit lying to potential visitors. There is nothing here. Let me get this right......So what you are essentially saying is to continue to spend 750K on a bold face lie. You are perfectly OK with lying?

OK read again......."Please take a look at the web site Ms. Bise has constructed. She has Woodlawn Bowling Center listed under nightlife......Mario's, Alicia's, and the Players Club as well. Seriously? OMG! Really? She can't be serious, or she just doesn't have a clue!"

January 1, 2011 at 10:34 a.m.
  • When the city had the money (750K) they were accountable as to how it was spent. In this case, a lump sum to the VCVB. Even though they are not a government agency, it would seem that the VCVB should post how and where the money is spent. As anybody seen a break down of the dollars and how much is left?

December 28, 2010 at 5:31 p.m.
  • TxHunter: "This is one of those issues that no matter what campaign was there would be people that were not happy with it."

I definitely agree that you'll never be able to satisfy everyone, but I've yet to run into ANYONE who's had anything but nasty things to say about the boots campaign. I'm still dumbfounded by how far off the mark it is. It's as if Bise was too out of touch with the essence of Victoria. Her overconfidence will be her downfall at our sizable expense.

December 28, 2010 at 3:22 p.m.
  • radiobabe: "it's not a sales tax per se, but rather a tax imposed upon people who pay for motel rooms."

My apologies. Let's call it a tax incurred at the point of sale of a hotel/motel room. And frankly, I didn't express my sentiments fully. I think that tax should just go away. It's counter-intuitive to think we can tax people to get them to stay in our hotels. I'd prefer we issue a press release that we no longer have a hotel-motel tax. Or perhaps we should institute a tourism tax to attract tourists!

And yes, we're perfectly capable of doing it. The city is "authorized" to levee the tax, not obligated.

December 28, 2010 at 3:07 p.m.
  • BS... misread your answer and thought you were asking what I would do with it. But if I understand the tax correctly, it's not a sales tax per se, but rather a tax imposed upon people who pay for motel rooms. Are you suggesting that they lower that? To what end?

December 28, 2010 at 11:08 a.m.
  • BS... exactly what they are doing with it (and required by law to do with it btw), advertise this community and work towards bringing money in through shoppers and visitors.

Again, love or hate the campaign, at least they're doing something.

December 28, 2010 at 11:06 a.m.
  • radiobabe: "... what would you have them do with the money?"

Lower the sales tax!

December 28, 2010 at 10:49 a.m.
  • People... you sit there and complain about the campaign. My question is then, what would you have them do with the money?

December 28, 2010 at 9:57 a.m.
  • "It's difficult to quantify any branding campaign's success before the two-year mark..."

Yet we keep cutting $750k checks to a campaign that insults the intelligence of most Victorians. If there was a measurable improvement to some part of the local economy, "boots" would probably get the credit, but since there isn't, the results are "difficult to quantify."

The stupidity quotient is through the roof on this project.

December 28, 2010 at 9:35 a.m.
  • BY THE NUMBERSHotel occupancy rates have increased since the Bring Your Boots campaign got its start, but other variables also come into play. Here's a look at occupancy rates for the Victoria metropolitan area:

2008

2010:

Quarter 1: 49.1%

Quarter 2: 53.2%

Quarter 3: 55.6%

Quarter 4: Unavailable

Source: Governor's office of Economic Development and Tourism

Actually this is a false statement. Hotel occupancy was higher in 2008.

December 28, 2010 at 7:42 a.m.
  • Brady,

The laws governing the use of Hotel/Motel Tax are pretty specific in that it can only be used to, as they say, "put heads in beds." It cannot be used to help a community's infrastructure nor be put in to the general fund. It must be used for precisely what the CVB is using it for... promoting our community to potential visitors.

Regardless of your feelings about the specific campaign, I'd like to congratulate Ms. Bise on doing something. For years the majority of CVB funds were spent on (I'm not joking!) making nametags for high school and family reunions. The campaign is well produced and the media buys show that thought was put into their timing and placement.

This campaign is what it is. The decision to move with it has been made and it's time for individuals in this community to stop whining about it and get behind the efforts to promote our city.

December 28, 2010 at 7:38 a.m.
  • This is insanity at it's best. Utterly ridiculous! $750K??????? What on earth is our city council smoking? I have 100 uses for the hotel tax, none of which include supporting our "tourism" industry to the tune of 3/4 of a million dollars per year! Holy Moly, I just fell out of my chair and hit the floor in complete shock! Please, please, please, someone forward my post to Bridgette Bise. The poor girl may be doing a bang up job, who really knows, and quite honestly I equate what she is doing to someone who got wrangled into selling what's equivilant to a junky, old, rusted, broken down station wagon to someone who is in the market for a shiny, new, Porshe......she has absolutely been forced to pull out all the tricks of the trade to get anyone to fall for this load of crap! Yep, I said it! It's total nonsense. 100% sham, scam, con artist, bull-loney at it's best!

Please take a look at the web site Ms. Bise has constructed. She has Woodlawn Bowling Center listed under nightlife......Mario's, Alicia's, and the Players Club as well. Seriously? OMG! Really? She can't be serious, or she just doesn't have a clue! Ms. Bise have you ever been to these establishments? Who in their right mind would market these establishments to tourist? Lets just all be OK with the fact that Victoria, Texas is NOT a tourist destination. It's just not. It's not, it's not, it's not! Invest 750K in my streets! In the inspections department that should condemn half these joints and the delapidated old run down, graffitti riddled buildings that line these filthy, unsightly streets of ours (Houston Hwy.)! This whole Bring Your Boots madness has to stop, and someone please call this poor girl and tell her to abandon this nonsense, because we are just suckering the 2 or 3 real potential tourist we might actually have come to our fair city next year, and are really setting them up for a fun filled weekend of absolute danger!

December 28, 2010 at 1:41 a.m.
  • She also stated most of the hits are coming from within Victoria...the others in surrounding large cities are probably from people who are from there, heard about this campaign, and visited the site out of curiosity & to get a good laugh at the hotel/restaurant/entertainment listing.

December 27, 2010 at 7:07 p.m.
  • 1,000 hits a month ?

vicad can you find out how many hits a month the website was getting pre 'bring your boots' ?

1,000 hits a month is a joke and certainly not worth $750,000

December 27, 2010 at 6:47 p.m.
  • this whole campaign was a total rip off. in fact, it's an act of pure theft.

all involved with freeing up the funds for this should be tarred and feathered, then ran out of town.

December 27, 2010 at 6:45 p.m.
  • Polaroids? Seriously?

December 27, 2010 at 6:16 p.m.
  • In the spirit of "bring your boots" my girlfirends now wear boots - I wish you could see my polaroids.

December 27, 2010 at 4:41 p.m.
  • Who in the heck would want to bring their family back to Victoria? There is nothing here for the Kid or for what it is worth there is nothing here for anyone worth doing. The prices are high and selection are low at the mall. There just is not enough entertainment in this city for anyone. What the city needs to do is bring some in and stop shooting down those that want to bring something special to this "atta boy club of a city".

December 27, 2010 at 3:41 p.m.