Home » Megachurches: Going against the tide » Unverified Comments

Comments

• It's no secret that Jesus Christ has the biggest, the greatest megachurch on earth made out of People who still follow Him by the mega thousands. The crowds grow because of God's anointing within all that is preached, within all that is taught, and within all those who are prayed for all centered around His Truth. Jesus is still the same.

July 5, 2010 at 1:55 p.m.
  • Dancingmom wrote: "... because the
    Bible is full of information and some is greater than most can understand. Hats off to the Graff's for a great chuch and school."

Okay, how do you know (decide for yourself?) what is true in the bible and what isn't? When my parents used to take me to church, I was taught in sunday school and during the preacher's sermons that EVERYTHING in the bible from "in the beginning" to "the end" was absolutely true and factual. When I got older and began to think for myself, I realized that there was just too much in the bible that I could not bring myself to believe and if some of the bible wasn't true, what parts were -- if any? I decided decades ago that I wouldn't worry about religion and try to understand the concept of god without religion getting in the way. I am very comfortable with what I believe and believe it just as strongly as anyone paying a ten percent cover charge at church.

July 4, 2010 at 4:34 p.m.
  • To me, it doesn't matter if the church has 30, 300, 3000, or 30000 members.
    In Matthew 18:20: Jesus says 'Where 2 or more are gathered in my name, I will be in the midst of them"
    Sometimes people gotta try a lot of '2 or mores' to find one where they feel comfortable. Where they can worship without feeling that they are being judged. Maybe they find it in a church of 30 members . . . maybe they have to go to a 30000 member congregation.
    But if you seek, you shall find.

July 3, 2010 at 6:04 p.m.
  • These "churches" worship the "Great I Am" with the "I" referring to one's self. They create God in their own image. The main theme is self gratification. While this may foster a feeling of well being, it will not prevail at judgment. How do you know what is correct? Stop listening to denominations and mega preachers and consult the source given to man, the bible. If it condemns something, you can't make it correct with God no matter how much you sugarcoat it. The bible gives direction on what is acceptable worship and it is God that we are to please, not ourselves. There is only one true church and anything else is a perversion. Those are not my words, but those of my lord and savior Jesus the Christ. Please do not take this as an attack on anyone that attends these churches, but rather a prayer that they will read and unlock the truth.

July 3, 2010 at 5:37 p.m.
  • It doesn't matter where the church is or how many people are attending the church service, it is about the message that is being brougt about the Lord. If someone wants to study the bible when they are at lunch I think that is great because the

July 3, 2010 at 5:17 p.m.
  • Studying at a seminary isn't the only way to become an ordained minister. You can sign up on a web site and immediately be a minister. Not everyone finds the Web's path legitimate from a spiritual perspective, but it's usually legal in the United States.

Perhaps the most popular instant-minister organization is the Universal Life Church

BECOME ORDAINED

You are about to legally become an ordained minister, and / or a priest to perform religious services through the Universal Life Church Monastery. For information regarding the legal aspects of ulc ordinations in your state or province, view our ordination FAQ page on this site.

To funny!

July 3, 2010 at 4:17 p.m.

July 3, 2010 at 4:06 p.m.
  • Does anyone out there know if a degree in divinity is needed to start-up a new off-the-wall church? Or can I, as a wannbe, just say; hey I have a new church, come join me but give me 20% of your net pay? Just curious.

July 3, 2010 at 3:44 p.m.
  • In the words of Ray Stevens "Would Jesus Wear A Rolex? " You decide if this sounds like this church. I just happen to have the link to the song.

July 3, 2010 at 2:37 p.m.
  • Wow! Three thousand members. I know four of them -- all good people, but a little too pasionate about the church for my taste. One, especially, spends his lunch hour and break time at work reading some kind of book that "explains" the bible. I don't understand the obsession with studying the bible constantly -- he says that even conversations with friends are almost exclusively about the bible. If most at Faith family are like this, are they afraid they'll lose thier salvation if they don't constantly study the bible and give enough money to the church?

Faith family seems to be a place where money is printed -- if half those 3,000 people give ten percent of thier income, that's a pretty good gig for the preacher. Don't forget, it's tax free, too. I'm guessing his home is supplied as well as a car, again tax free. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing.

July 3, 2010 at 2:21 p.m.
  • that mega church is good for the local economy it creates traffic! businesses appreciate traffic!

July 3, 2010 at 11:57 a.m.
  • "the church offers broad sermon series on family, marriage and life advice.

Never once did anyone say anything about spreading the Word of God

I really think that is more better than hearing about some invisible man talk about how i am going to hell. Think about it.

July 3, 2010 at 11:47 a.m.
  • After I got married my husband and I went to a "church" that was made up of a few families and we met in member's homes. Most of us learned to play guitar so that we could enjoy some music during our meetings. It was more like a family and less like a church. I miss leche flan and homemade spring rolls.

July 3, 2010 at 10:25 a.m.

July 3, 2010 at 9:44 a.m.
  • If it's true, questions and doubt are not a threat.

July 3, 2010 at 9:43 a.m.
  • The Founding Fathers could have believed in a flying teapot as a god or believed nothing at all, what only matters is the freedom to believe and not believe is protected and no religion should get preferential treatment over another by the Government.

One thing that was almost a common theme among the Founding Fathers is that they always questioned their religion (hence the deism and we cant forget the Jefferson Bible either) and were not afraid to speak out about its inconsistencies, after all these were men of the Enlightenment.

What I would give to see men of the caliber of Jefferson, Madison, Paine and Franklin in our midst today.

July 3, 2010 at 9:19 a.m.
  • While the megachurch is not my cup of tea, I'm glad it is there to for others who do not find that traditional churches are able to fill their needs. Just as we are all different, the churches need to be different. I believe Christ died on the cross for me and my sins and as long as that is the core of the church, how they put them in the pews is irrelevant.

July 3, 2010 at 9:05 a.m.
  • The only thing mega about the megachurches is the amount of money the people who lead them bring in. Joel Osteen and Faith Family are both pretty scary entities. There are some wonderful Christian people who are being mislead by the leadership of both. And whoever came up with the Thomas Jefferson quote.....please cite where this was found....and also provide proof that it is indeed verifiable and real. I think not. Most of the founding fathers considered themselves deists rather than Christians.....though in actuality most of them were Christian. The point they wanted to make was that believing in one true God....no matter what you called him was what was important. The control of the Church of England was still fresh in their minds and freedom to practice whatever religion you chose was of utmost importance to them.

July 3, 2010 at 8:59 a.m.
  • From a misquided author

" "I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world, and do not find in our particular superstition (Christianity) one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology."
    Thomas Jefferson

July 3, 2010 at 8 a.m.
  • For those misguided authors quoting the "core", and the "basis" of Christian faith, allow me to open your eyes. At the core is FOREGIVENESS. Learn to read and comprehend before commenting please.

On subject, I've attended several "mega-churches" and have not found them to my liking, although I do see the appeal of "Christian Light" by so many turned off by "fire and brimstone" preaching.

July 3, 2010 at 7:51 a.m.
  • If a church is not built upon "the rock" then it will ultimately fold. Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. If faith family church is built on Jesus, it will stand.

July 3, 2010 at 7:43 a.m.
  • It is all about the MONEY.

"the church offers broad sermon series on family, marriage and life advice.

Never once did anyone say anything about spreading the Word of God

July 3, 2010 at 7:39 a.m.
  • Not a fan of the megachurch, but I am a Christian and most of all a follower. I expect that the unbelievers will show up in full force and tell all the stories about the church robbing the poor and living extravagant lives, why don't you all tell about the smaller churches that are feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, and encouraging people to turn to God and away from destructive living. And I am certain that Faith Family has changed some lives for the better!

July 3, 2010 at 7:10 a.m.
  • Tax the Church!

July 3, 2010 at 6:26 a.m.
  • I will also add, however, that the longer the big religions decide to stick with infallibility and remain rigid with what you can do and not do no amount of gloss, sheen, Facebook pages or wattage of the pulpit sound system will stop intelligent people from broadening their horizons and understanding of the world.

July 2, 2010 at 11:50 p.m.
  • It's good to see but not a real surprise (from the research polls) a greater diversity and casual attitude among belief systems including those who don't believe or choose to remain agnostic. People need to have the choice to reject dogma and creed yet still adhere to positive messages from all religions as part of a healthy and happy life. I personally believe in your heart you CAN be a Christian, a Muslim, a Jew AND reject the discrimination and the controlling doctrines associated with all mainstream religions that hold us back as enlightened individuals and forward thinking societies.

Just the humblest of my opinions of course...

July 2, 2010 at 11:41 p.m.
  • "The Passion of Victoria Osteen"

A must read for anyone following this bunch.

July 2, 2010 at 8:17 p.m.