Comments

• I think HEB Plus has more organic and natural foods than most other stores in our area. I was there just today and found a lot of foods without additives that my son can eat, foods that I can't find anywhere else. I appreciate that about HEB Plus.
    I walked a couple of miles trying to find everything, but once I get used to the new lay-out, I'll be fine.

July 10, 2010 at 6:28 p.m.
  • HEB Plus doesn't have a great selection or variety of food, I prefer the original HEB myself!

July 10, 2010 at 5:52 p.m.
  • The only thing worse than the inside design of the HEB is the parking lot situation !!! I thought when it first opened that I didn't like it because it was different than I was used to . Here we are four years later and I hate it even more than the first day !!! Please bring back the local "hometown " store feel . When I want to buy furniture ,I will go to a furniture store .

July 10, 2010 at 10:54 a.m.
  • Did HEB pay the Advocate for this ad?

July 10, 2010 at 12:23 a.m.
  • i hate the heb plus concept, close it down and open a vintage market, now that's a grocery store !

July 9, 2010 at 8:02 p.m.
  • I didn't realize HEB Plus had been opened that long. Wow, time flies. I have no problems with the new remodeling, I think it's better this way.

July 9, 2010 at 6:05 p.m.
  • The new Krogers are really nice, would be nice to have one here or even a Fiesta. Krogers' prices are in line with HEB's and Wal-Marts. I find that Target's grocery section is more expensive, although they do have some items (like their brand of baby's snacks) that are less expensive.

I have even stopped at some of the Dollar Stores, when I just couldn't face the crowds at the SuperMarkets. You know what, if you know your prices, sometimes they have better prices on canned goods and basic pantry items.

Sure do miss Cattan's (they should take back Tejas) and reopen a market.

A way long time ago we also had Model Market (behind Mammy's cafeteria.) I think that's the name of the market that was there. I do remember that it was a small grocery store.

The more competition we had in this town, the better the prices we had here. I remember being able to compare the prices for the same things in different stores. Now we can just make sure which HEB has it cheaper (since they have different prices.)

July 9, 2010 at 5:57 p.m.
  • I just arrived from a little adventure at HEB. Again, I have no problem with the layout. If I have to walked a couple of aisles to find the drinks, no problem. I know the research was conducted by consultants and analysts, who last time I checked, get paid pretty handsomely for thier services. Here is my issue, rather than pay for consultants to perform surveys and research, they should used those funds to have more baggers available on an everyday basis. I had to bag my own groceries, along with the help of the cashier. End result: My bread is crushed.

July 9, 2010 at 4:28 p.m.
  • I use to like Walmart but it is so nasty and dirty, I use Target. HEB Plus is way too big and I dont have time to search for what I need so I go to the little HEB. I go to Dick's sometime but I usually shop at Port Lavaca Walmart and I live in Victoria.

July 9, 2010 at 2:17 p.m.
  • I like HEB. The prices are decent enough if you watch the flyers and sales. I make sure I budget enough time to make it through there because of them putting cold foods at opposite sides. Quick 5 item shopping I go to Dick's. We have what we have and unless anyone plans to open a new store or stand outside picketing the place, I will continue shopping there.

July 9, 2010 at 12:22 p.m.
  • Don't forget the free wine samples at HEB. I stay there all day when they have those.

July 9, 2010 at 12:16 p.m.
  • Ghetto HEB, I get shot. Gucci HEB, I get robbed. Choices choices...

July 9, 2010 at 12:11 p.m.
  • Yes, I would like that package of straws up there. No, not that one. The one with more purple straws in it please.

July 9, 2010 at 12:08 p.m.
  • Actually, those items way up at the top are to just show what is hanging under them. It kind of helps the shopper locate things a little easier.

July 9, 2010 at 12:05 p.m.
  • The man in the picture is 3ft 2"

July 9, 2010 at 12:02 p.m.
  • I really don't care if HEB remodels it's store. There are harsher things I could be worrying about. However, I think its humorous how they are trying to make shopping more convenient for the shoppers and the picture in the article show items WAY out of reach for the costumer.

July 9, 2010 at 11:52 a.m.
  • Not only is HEB a Walmart wannabe, they also love to play their little pricing games. By this i mean they raise their prices quite a bit and then a few months later , they try to make everyone believe they are doing you a big favor and reducing the prices throughout the store. When in reality they just raised them maybe $ .75 an item a few months ago and reduced them $ .25 an item now. Who do they they are kidding, come on HEB we didn't just fall off of the pumpkin truck.

July 9, 2010 at 9:55 a.m.
  • Once upon a time Victoria had: Alkek’s, three Dick’s, Kroger, Cattan’s, Urban’s, Super S, K Mart, and an H-E-B. That’s all I can remember.

Now we have two H-E-Bs and a Walmart. What happened?

Maybe Dale Fowler could start small, and try to get us some large, chain grocery stores here. And not a Central Market—those higher priced products are already available in the H-E-Bs.

July 9, 2010 at 9:52 a.m.
  • I really don't care for the new layout at all. I feel like I am shopping at Sam's in certain areas and Walmart in others. I hate Walmart with a passion, such a dirty environment and yes HEB has slid that way as well. Without competition this is what we can expect though. The only reason I can see for moving things around is to make customers search for the items they want to buy and thereby causing them to see other items and cause an impulse buy.

July 9, 2010 at 9:28 a.m.

July 9, 2010 at 9:05 a.m.
  • Great subject, Vicad! The HEB stores (both) remind me of WalMart
    during Christmas week. Crowded and getting worse.
    "super" HEB on Navarro is making itself just that. The poorly disguised act of greed HEB calls 'remodeling', is not legit with any smart shopper.
    What different is this from being a WalMart wannabe, tell me?
    What HEB needs to seriously consider is building a third store
    at a well studied locale here in or within ten miles of the city.
    They know as groceries go they are the only game in town.
    With two always overcrowded stores one feels HEB sees us,
    the paying public like, as a minor inconvenience.
    That you Victoria for hearing me out.

July 9, 2010 at 8:49 a.m.
  • "A lot of folks have the misconception that we undertake projects to make it more confusing or make them stay in the store longer," he said. "But it's an attempt to make it better, more exciting and an easier place to shop."

Any person who has ever taken a marketing class knows keeping folks in a store is the goal. And if it was just about making it better and easier, the milk and bread would be at the front door. The more aisles they can make you walk down, the greater chance they have that you will buy more stuff. That's how retail works. No problem with that.

As to the H-E-B on Rio Grande, while it does not carry every food product that H-E-B Plus does, I appreciate the fact I don't have to go through the furniture department to get to the muffin mix. Rio Grande H-E-B is great!

July 9, 2010 at 8:41 a.m.
  • The one complaint I have about HEB is that they have the cold things separated by the entire store.

July 9, 2010 at 7:58 a.m.
  • The new layout is muh more user friendly than it was. Why would they want to be a Walmart wannabe? That store is dirty and the produce looks like it is from last year, not to mention the packaged meat that comes from who knows where and is also old. Just like all the others who whine about fireworks, etc, if you don't like a particular store, then don't go there. You will save yourself a lot of grief and no one else really wants to hear you cry.

July 9, 2010 at 7:44 a.m.
  • WWW--be careful! On the official Victoria Convention and Visitors Bureau Points of Interest map, the five stores listed under 'shopping' are H-E-B, H-E-B Plus, Target, Victoria Mall and Wal-Mart. These are the only five listings. Don't confuse the visitors!

July 9, 2010 at 7:38 a.m.
  • H.E.B.Plus -- WalMart wannabe.

July 9, 2010 at 7:32 a.m.
  • questions to the readers:
    Q1.Is HEB's so called remodeling, which is more like just shuffling stuff around, more pathetic than Victoria Advocates reporting it?

Q2. Does Maria eat any organic food?

July 9, 2010 at 2:06 a.m.