Comments

• I thought I had heard a few years ago that a housing developement was going up over there, forgot all about it until you brought it up EA. So lot size 1300 to 3000sq ft to an acre? Sheesh if the lot is only 1300 sq ft, how big can the house be? Again, not affordable, not in Victoria.

I would also like to know what is "master planned" about this neighborhood? It sounds like another subdivision to me....no community facilities, no nothing, what's the "master plan"?

July 19, 2010 at 8:42 p.m.
  • justataxpayer--Haven't a clue as to other contributions.

But I was wondering if Robby Burdge is still connected to this parcel of land? Didn't he and Brad Blanton announce plans for a master planned community two or three years ago?

July 19, 2010 at 8:15 p.m.
  • Amendment to my comment about the VEDC being privately funded:

Last year VEDC did receive $313,000. from the Sales Tax Development Corp. This information was not available at the VEDC website.

July 19, 2010 at 11:03 a.m.
  • I don't remember Klein saying he was not going to build in Victoria anymore. I remember Al Hogan leaving town, thank God. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. Do you have a link to the article?

July 19, 2010 at 10:21 a.m.
  • justataxpayer—

I go back to my original question—what is in the works from VEDC? You know as well as anyone who even has a passing acquaintance with news from the VEDC, we have been hearing for a long time that something is about to happen. I don’t know about you, but the words are growing very hollow. We’ve seen virtually nothing; we’ve just had the promise. Again, and again, and again…

Now, Mr. Klein had declared he was through building homes in Victoria, but was lured back to build a whole neighborhood. If you actually know something of substance, share. If you are just here to protect your buddies from those of us who dare to question and actually expect answers, then say so. That way we can all just cut to the chase and move on.

As to the VEDC’s burden to the taxpayer, theoretically, there is none because VEDC is a privately funded corporation. In reality, their failure to bring significant business to Victoria County has possibly cost the taxpayers a bunch, but that may be debatable.

July 19, 2010 at 8:48 a.m.
  • I thought Klein annouced he was not going to build in Victoria anymore about a year ago?

July 19, 2010 at 1:03 a.m.
  • Hmm, I'm not sure about $200k for 1300 or 1400 sq ft. My husband and I checked out some of the new neighborhoods today and were impressed by a house we saw in Tuscany. They can build a house almost 1900 sq ft for under $200k. Sounds pretty good to us.

July 18, 2010 at 10:57 p.m.
  • I see a reference to the lot size, "...and home lot sizes ranging from 1,400 to 3,000 square feet to an acre", but I don't see anything that speaks to the size of the house. It sounds like Klein is pricing the lot and the home together.

July 18, 2010 at 9:38 p.m.
  • Two hundred grand for 1,400 square feet? If I was looking to buy a house and could afford $200K, I'd be wanting a heck of a lot more than 1,400 square feet.

July 18, 2010 at 9:21 p.m.
  • localgirl, I think there was a story not too long ago that mentioned the property you are asking about. Do search on the name Rampey and it should come up.

July 18, 2010 at 9:11 p.m.
  • "I think Victoria is on the cusp of some really good growth opportunities," Klein said. "The Victoria Economic Development Corp. and the community leaders at-large are all working to create good things for Victoria. They want to make sure we have housing and developments so people can move to Victoria and be housed."

"They want to make sure..." Who's telling Klein to build this neighborhood?

Maybe the reporter, Gheni Platenburg, could follow up on this story for us, and find out what VEDC has on the hook so to speak.

Victoria's been on the cusp of great things for quite sometime, it seems, according to the VEDC, and I am curious as to what it might be.

July 18, 2010 at 5:35 p.m.
  • Thank the Good Lord and President Obama too, since the President's economic stimulus package kept us out of the depression.

July 18, 2010 at 4:10 p.m.
  • you either make enough to spend 200 to 300 on a home or you don't, no use crying about it.

live within your means and make the most of it.

July 18, 2010 at 3:41 p.m.
  • did you go to a bank or a mortgage broker?

July 18, 2010 at 3:35 p.m.
  • What your worth. That reminds me of the time about 10 years ago when I received the SS update in the mail. My daughter was about 10 then and I was still with the ex, the ex looked at what SS would pay my minor daughter and her survivor benefits... she said " Gee your worth more dead than alive."

It's a good thing I did most of the cooking!

lol

July 18, 2010 at 3:08 p.m.
  • GEZZZ, Looking back, I think I may have just given my whole "financial life" story in these past few posts...LOL...My husband and I just don't get it and all the banks say is "THAT'S THE BEST WE CAN DO FOR YOU." It's hard having to hear that knowing you are worth well more than what they "SAY" you're worth!

July 18, 2010 at 2:40 p.m.
  • @N45BA - I'm very comfortable to say, We have plenty of money saved...Savings account, both have 401K's and two CD's, which I have my family to thank! It was a wedding present 11 YEARS AGO! We have well over what most other people in their early 30's have saved....WE HAVE cut back on many things! My husband has worked at his primary job for 8 years and UPS for 3...me, I have worked at my FT job for 2 years now. Both of our starting pay has went up several dollar with both jobs! Even UPS has went up $2 dollars. .50 cents every 6 months until he reaches his cap which is still aways to go!

Everything you are saying, we have done or DID DO! Yes, I would be picky too, if someone was asking for money of that extent. But, we have proven far more than most people these days can prove or DO for that matter. This world is going to $h!t and fast! There is no more middle class, that's just the way these PIGS want it!!!! Soon there will be the RICH and NOTHING else in between!

July 18, 2010 at 2:35 p.m.
  • You always have to worry about taxes....they are the only "constant" in our lives.....2 things are certain, taxes & death.

July 18, 2010 at 1:55 p.m.
  • No one has answered by question about the gated community/subdivision? Have any houses been built? Any information?

July 18, 2010 at 12:56 p.m.
  • How long have you been working full time & your hubby been on at UPS? They are looking at income over a period of time, not what it is at this moment. You probably need to hold steady at this rate for a longer period before you can qualify for more. I would love to sell my house & buy something smaller but I don't want to have to go through the process of buying again, I felt violated enough when I bought my car last year.

About this new "master planned community", how does it qualify as such since it seems to be only houses, doesn't strike me as "master planned". And just under $200k for 1400 sq ft? Not affordable, IMO.

July 18, 2010 at 12:38 p.m.
  • ...and not even kissed

July 18, 2010 at 12:31 p.m.
  • @ VICTORIAN - RAPED isn't even the proper word...the word I would like to use would have me in violation! SO, I will just leave it in my head and let all of you use your imagination on the word I would LIKE to use ;))

July 18, 2010 at 12:28 p.m.
  • @ holein1 - I KNOW! You'd think so! You know, this is happening to MANY people all over the U.S.! We have some well to do friends in CA that own their own business and are just, well.....WELL OFF! They can't even get qualified! And it's happing to several of their friends.

July 18, 2010 at 12:24 p.m.
  • It's like your being raped by your banker....

July 18, 2010 at 12:21 p.m.
  • No one person is EVER really debt free! You still have to pay for the home, apartment, etc you live in, that's a debt. You are "supposed' to have insurance on your vehicles, if you choose to have one, which in most life styles its a must! That's a debt. You "HAVE TO HAVE" health insurance now, that's a debt! Most families lifestyles require electricity, clean running water. Thats a debt. Banks count ALL of that these days, TRUST ME! All the way down to how much you pay for a continuous prescription. You couldn't believe how meticulous they have become. The documents they ask for, the people they request to speak to. It's scary!!! It's not just about how many credit cards you have, how much your car payment is, have you owned property before? Do you pay your taxes? It's cut throat and down right nasty how they invade your life!

July 18, 2010 at 12:17 p.m.
  • based on what you have told me, there doesn't seem to be any reason why you wouldn't get approved for more. there has to be a reason. maybe it's who you've been talking to.

rebecca, you are a unique character.

July 18, 2010 at 12:14 p.m.
  • Actually, I haven't checked. But, we payed off some debt and were warned that it would affect our score negatively. (and yes, I say "we" like my husband and I are the Borg. He is driving the ship and I choose to stand on the bow with my arms out shouting "King of the world!" spilling my pina colada.)

July 18, 2010 at 12:06 p.m.
  • Both pay well, BUT, one has OUTSTANDING benefits, UPS part time! No place in Victoria can touch the medical, dental, 401K, college, etc, etc benefits UPS offers! So, that's why he does that. And our debit to income is below what most have. "FICO" score is 778 for me, 795 for him! We have two cars, one still has a car payment for another year. We have ONE credit card a piece. Neither have ever been overcharged and have ALWAYS paid BEFORE the due date! Owned a property on the other side of Cuero for 3 years, fixed it up and sold it 2 years ago. Started looking for a place closer to the city and all we kept getting was we "qualified" for $95,000 credit limit. That's fine, some would love that, but to be honest between the both of us we make well over $100,000+a year, not bragging just stating the fact. It's hard to find a nice, large enough, nice side of the town, decent yard and not a lot has to be done move in ready home in Vicotria for $95,000! You know, Victoria acts as its Katy, TX or Sugar Land, TX!!! Its just another way of them saying, keep giving us your money, but we won't give you crap in return. That goes for the city, government, and WHOLE WORLD!!!! Keep taking our Tax Dollars to bail out the BIG GUYS and leave us who REALLY work hard and wish to live a decent, honest life NOTHING in return. That's what it is and has in many ways already come to.

We have two kids. We are trying, (HOPING) to set a nice foundation for their futures and get them in a home that will be the home they grow up in until they become adults. But, at this rate will be RENTING until we are 50!

July 18, 2010 at 12:04 p.m.
  • when you say "while we were in debit", are you debit free now? is your credit score worse now?

July 18, 2010 at 11:58 a.m.
  • I meant we had a great credit score while we were in debt. Sorry, I hate that I type and *click* *click* without proofing. D=

July 18, 2010 at 11:50 a.m.
  • We had great credit while we were in debt...

July 18, 2010 at 11:45 a.m.
  • maybe your credit score isn't as good as you need. or it's your debit to income ratio.

why is your husband working 2 "well paying" jobs? do you have a lot of bills?

July 18, 2010 at 11:15 a.m.
  • LESS than $200,000 mean right under, $199,000!!!! I'm sure of it! So, Again another nice community going up and I'll be missing out! Do you really think people in this economy are going to be able to get the LOANS to live in the houses! My husband and I make decent money, hub has two well paying jobs, me one full time job, and we both have very nice credit, but have been turned down twice in a year and a half...and that's even with offering 20% down.

It's like all the shopping centers going up and NO ONE is occupying them, makes you worry a little. Is Victoria OVERDOING it or are they not?! What do y'all think? I think they are!

July 18, 2010 at 10:36 a.m.
  • Great Location for building new homes.

Here's something I want to know: What happened to the "gated" community that was being promoted a few months ago? It's down the road from Wal-Mart. I haven't a clue if houses have been built, people moved in, everything going along as planned, etc.

July 18, 2010 at 9:41 a.m.