Comments

• To me, this is really pretty simple. If you have a hooked and gaffed fish that somehow manages to free itself and escape (even if it dies as a result of this process)...it's a lost fish. End of story!
    Shame on Marlin Majic for even trying this BS!

July 20, 2010 at 10:09 a.m.
  • So the Marlin Majic crew was DQ'd but no one from the Poco committee can / will tell them who from the IFGA made the confirmation call that it was a violation. Uh, I hope they have that in writing, because I wouldn't count on this crew just slipping away into the sunset over this, they are WAY to smart for that and quite sure they have the pockets to pursue the slobs that think this is quality judging. Think of the implication of Marlin majic getting a confirmation in writting that it was NOT a violation? Thats what I'm talking about! Uh..... dear Poco committee nut heads...... they may have had a small boat, but pose a very LARGE problem!

July 19, 2010 at 8:42 p.m.
  • The fish never made it into boat. That was a reporting error. The crew of the Marlin Majic found out that the fish was disqualified over the radio. The committee made it public before the boat returned to dock. That is why they were probably not excited. The Marlin Majic crew was never put through a lie detector test. Which should of happened. They broke no rules if you go through rule book. The committee response to situation was that it was a gray area. The committee told crew that no rules were broken.

July 19, 2010 at 4:24 p.m.
  • From what I understand two witness said the fish didn’t jump out of the Marlin Magic boat. It never made it inside and was injured and found floating later and then retrieved by the Marlin Magic. And there was no celebration from the crew when they got to shore. if you had caught the fish legally wouldn’t you have been excited? why the somber faces? The real winner is the WHAP BAM BOOM! good job men!

July 19, 2010 at 3:26 p.m.
  • First...the article did not specifiy exactly what was alleged to have happened. A clear explanation would surely help. Second....if there was a decision made by any major committe member that affected a 500,000 prize that involved a family member that is a clear conflict of interest and should not have happened. Third...for both the paper and the committe, who from the IGFA was contacted and exactly, within the rules, what part did this person play in the decision. Last....if the majic violated a specific rule in a specific way then the committe should have absolutely no problem, and it sure would help repair their image after this absolute fiasco, clearing this up with the paper in a public clarification. If not......sure does have a bad smell about it!

July 19, 2010 at 3:15 p.m.
  • Is it true the Marlin Majic failed their lie detector? Just wondering, this is the first story that went around.....seems if they passed it they would not be able to take the prize away.

July 19, 2010 at 1:33 p.m.
  • I would like to hear from the committee and from those who complained. What did they see? Otherwise this stinks.

July 19, 2010 at 12:33 p.m.
  • Take this to court. Something very very fishy!

July 19, 2010 at 11:57 a.m.
  • Poor dudes got robbed.

July 19, 2010 at 8:43 a.m.
  • Any time you have that kind of money involved there is the potential for shady dealings. As this is not the first time that there has been controversy over the winner, I think that the IGFA, and maybe other law enforcement agencies, should launch a full investigation into the event. At the very least, Jordan Adams and the crew of the Marlin Majic should take it to the courts and demand their legal winnings. As I understand it, there were family members of the Poco Bueno officials affiliated with the winning boat, definitely reason to cry foul.

July 19, 2010 at 8:02 a.m.

July 19, 2010 at 7:45 a.m.
  • I hope the Victoria Advocate will stay on top of this story and not let it just go away.

I'll wait until I hear the committee's side before I comment further.

July 19, 2010 at 7:27 a.m.
  • Marlin Majic needs to take this judgement to a real court of law and have a rep for the IGFA to set things straight on the official rules. See who wins that one. Sounds like someone on the "committee" had a friend that did not win and found a way to make it happen.

July 19, 2010 at 6:24 a.m.
  • I also hope an investigation commences inquiring into this so called committee that already has made questionable judgments in the past. Another controversy decided by the No Bueno, Poco Bueno charlatans. I wonder where else and what other friends they funnel tournament money to.

July 19, 2010 at 12:34 a.m.
  • I think if Wam Bam thank you Ma'am crew is really sorry for their illegitimate win, they should send the winnings to the Marlin Majic crew that really won. That whole tournament should be boycotted and banned. The world has enough crooked people in it and this is one more case of injustice prevailing. What good friends "Wam Bam" to accept the earnings of a victory they did not earn. Shame on the committee for making sure the highest paying tourny members walk away with a trophy even though they didn't earn it. David slew Goliath and the Devil committee found a way to veto the victory. Boo! Way to go for the crew of the Marlin Majic and your little boat, way to go out and win a tournament even with a boat and equipment half the price of the other competitors. We all know who the real winners and fishermen are.

July 19, 2010 at 12:26 a.m.
  • LMAO. I read the rule book on this one. No rules broken here. Sloppy gaffing it sounds like but no rule about fish lost after gaff. Just rule on fish lost before gaffed or before netted. The fish made it in the boat and weighed in as the biggest fish caught. I think it is about time for an update on the IGFA rules. To many grey areas in this rule book. Win you hold a tourny with stakes this high you better be able to back up the disqualification with a rule. Not an interperation of what you think the rule says. If I was on the Marlin Majic I would be pissed. In a court of law these people would be granted this money. Shame on you Poco Bueno Committee. You should have awarded the Marlin Majic this money and then updated the rules later. I hope that you decision does not come back to haunt you.

July 18, 2010 at 11:40 p.m.
  • You should post a pic of the real winners!

July 18, 2010 at 11:02 p.m.