Comments

• I had a hamburger and fries for lunch today at Ramsey's. I don't know how it could have been any better. When you factor in the friendly service at Ramsey's, it was a very good meal.

Now, i've not eaten at most of the places in the poll, but if they're any better than the burger I had today, they'd have to be mighty good.

July 30, 2010 at 8:08 p.m.
  • I bet the Landing Strip had pick up business.

July 30, 2010 at 5:55 p.m.
  • I tried the Landing Strip and came away totally satisfied. Good burgers and their pork chop luncheon was equally as good. Once upon a time there was a van that parked at the Farmer's Market in Riverside, they too had awesome burgers if you like greasy toasted buns. I wonder whatever happened to that one!

July 30, 2010 at 5:11 p.m.
  • The Landing Strip is located inside the Airport Terminal. When you get to the Sky restaurant just kep going until you reash the airport itself. Maybe not even another half mile

July 30, 2010 at 6:31 a.m.
  • Can someone please tell me how far is the Landing Strip from Sky on Foster Field? Is Sky in close proximity or am I just way off? (not familiar with outskirts) I mentioned to my buddies that I read about a great burger place located near Victoria airport and they took me to Sky - YUCK!!!!!! My burger was soooooo raw that as soon as I cut the burger in half the bun saturated with blood!! NEVER going BACK to SKY AGAIN!

July 29, 2010 at 11:34 p.m.
  • Ramsey's has burgers that can hang with the best of them!
    Great place to dine.
    Service is always, I mean ALWAYS the best in town!

July 27, 2010 at 7:27 a.m.
  • Dairy Treet in Yoakum

July 26, 2010 at 10:43 p.m.
  • I have burgers from half of these places and I am shocked that BJ's wasn't even invited to the competition! Yes, you don't expect to see a sea food place invited to a burger competition, but THOSE burgers are the best in town, IMO. If you haven't tried them, do yourself a favor and order a jumbo cheese burger from BJs.

July 26, 2010 at 10:13 p.m.
  • Went out and had the Cheeseburger at the Landing Strip today. So I have to say Telferner Grocery is #1 and the Landing Strip is #2.

July 26, 2010 at 7:04 p.m.
  • The Landing Strip is located inside the Victoria Airport terminal and I agree that their cheeseburgers are wonderfully homemade and taste is great! I've tried others that taste good but these have their own unique taste. I tried Dairy Treet, Jim's Burgers, KN's and my best one used to be the old fashion Whataburger . Like they still try to say thats a What-a-burger! Well the Landing Strip you can say that's a B-U-R-G-E-R!!!!!!!!! Everyone should try it! You'll enjoy it! The owners make you feel at home and their other daily specials are good too!

July 26, 2010 at 3:03 p.m.
  • Hungrys has the best in town.

July 26, 2010 at 2:41 p.m.
  • As an avid hamburger eater I've had many burgers in and around the area. I say Jim's big burgers are number one. My second choice was The Victoria Advocates Cheese burger which I had one on Friday the 23rd. I prefer a toasted bun, excellent beef and size. No need for a double meat burger for either of these.

July 26, 2010 at 2:26 p.m.
  • Chili's has good burgers too!

July 26, 2010 at 12:37 p.m.
  • Advocate staff...Thanks. One of your former employees works with me and she said the CFS was really good. I'm thinkin' we'll have to take you up on your kind offer one day soon.

July 26, 2010 at 12:15 p.m.
  • thewaywardwind - Yes, the lunchroom at the Advocate is open to the public, and we do serve cheeseburgers.

We do still make chicken fried steak, but only as a occasional lunch special, not on the daily menu. You can call ahead at 580-6378 to see what the lunch special for the day is. Since we have a limited staff, we really appreciate a call ahead on really large orders. :)

July 26, 2010 at 11:22 a.m.
  • This might be a little late but if you ever been to pico de gallo on Rio Grande and had one of their breakfast tacos (the pico special is my favorite) they also have a pretty good, made to order,hamburger and they also have what they call a tacoburger...its goooood. All this time I didn't even know they made burgers till I seen a bunch of construction workers in there eating them.

July 26, 2010 at 11:16 a.m.
  • SuperDad...Thanks for the information that the Landing Strip is the grill INSIDE the terminal...the former Daniel's Grill. I'll be sure to try it. Are they open on weekends?

If this poll had happened a few years ago when Daniel's was open inside the airport terminal, he would have won hands down. The airline was short-handed for a while and there were some people from Laredo who came here to work TDY. They fell in love with Daniel's hamburgers/cheesburgers. When they went back to Laredo, there were several occasions when they sent us an order for some burgers. They put a Playmate cooler on the plane to Houston to be transferred to Victoria. We gave Daniel the order and put the burgers in the cooler, sent it back to Houston to be transferred to Laredo. You know it was a good burger to go to all that trouble to get it. I mean, it's not like you can't get a burger in Laredo. The only problem with Daniel's burgers was being able to open your mouth wide enough to take a bite. Awsome burgers! I sure miss Daniel's AND Daniel.

July 26, 2010 at 10:42 a.m.
  • Has no one eaten at Hungry's-Thirsty's, they have an awesome cheeseburger, go really hungry and unhook your jaw so you can get it all into your mouth........yum.

July 26, 2010 at 9:47 a.m.
  • The "..." was me taking some time to fantasize about eating that burger with the sugar-glazed bun.

July 26, 2010 at 9:30 a.m.
  • What's the name of that little store out in Mission Valley that serves their hamburgers on a sweet sourdough bun? That's my favorite! Of course, I'm probably one of those people who would enjoy the burger that uses a big sugar glazed doughnut for a bun...

July 26, 2010 at 9:28 a.m.
  • The Landing Strip at the Airport Terminal!!! They are homemade with fresh beef and grilled buns. They come in single, double, and triple meat versions. Grilled onions, bacon, jalapenos, you name it. They are awesome! Locally owned and operated too. Nice friendly family. All their food is good actually. And I agree, very reasonably priced. You're missing out if you don't go by.

July 26, 2010 at 9:27 a.m.
  • Try PJ's seafood....they have fantastic burger....it takes a few minutes because they grill it there on the spot but believe it is worth the wait!!!

Also Moo Moo's fried chicken has good burger

July 26, 2010 at 9:25 a.m.
  • the Landing Strip burgers--inside the airport terminal. WOW! handmade and not pricy at all. FREE parking, lol

July 26, 2010 at 8:36 a.m.
  • I've been talking to some people at work about this -- asking where Rosebud is and if the Landing Strip is the old Leo's. Two said that the snack bar at at the Advocate makes a GREAT hamburger and the best chicken fried steak in the city. They also said the Advocate snack bar is open to the public. True???

July 26, 2010 at 8:10 a.m.
  • I guess I don't get out as much as I used to. I worked for the airline for about ten years and left almost four years ago. I never heard of the Landing Strip before this poll. Is the Landing Strip the old Leo's? It sounds like I need to try the Landing Strip because I believe a hamburger is natures perfect food -- you get bread, meat and veggies all in a convenient package.

July 26, 2010 at 8:02 a.m.
  • The Barn in Mision Valley has a great burger. Homemeade patty on a sour dough bun. It is delicious and Texas sized.

July 26, 2010 at 7:21 a.m.
  • KN in cuero beats anything in victoria county

and I am a native Victorian!!

Old fashioned taste/quality and price!!

July 26, 2010 at 6:23 a.m.
  • Telferner Grocery.......best in this area.

July 26, 2010 at 3:01 a.m.
  • Landing Strip???? I might have to try it.

July 26, 2010 at 12:39 a.m.
  • ME

July 25, 2010 at 11:04 p.m.
  • Landing Strip!!!.....best chow in victoria if you are talking burgers! "the BOMBER BURGER" is my favorite.

July 25, 2010 at 9:43 p.m.
  • K&N in Cuero. Like homemade.

July 25, 2010 at 8:58 p.m.
  • I agree with oxymoron.....if you have never eaten at the Landing Strip at the Victoria Airport, you are missing out. From frito pies, to enchilada casserole, to the best damn burger you will ever eat. One bit of advise, don't put the burger down.....it's freakin' awesome. I have eaten almost EVERYTHING on their menu, and haven't found anything that isn't delicious.

They have breakfast tacos too, and everything, EVERYTHING, is made from scratch by the owners.......oh, man, almost forgot, try their homemade hot sauce......puts a punch on everything.

Whataburger....processed.....Rosebud.......snooty.....Landing Strip.......man oh man......try it.......trust me......

July 25, 2010 at 8:12 p.m.
  • KN in cuero Rocks..

July 25, 2010 at 8:10 p.m.
  • I haven't had burgers from a couple of places on the list, but from those I have tried, I have to agree. I LOVE Rosebud's burgers! :)

July 25, 2010 at 6:49 p.m.
  • The best hamburgers can be found out at the Victoria Regional Airport at the Landing Strip restaurant. Fresh and hot everytime made to order. Localy owned and family operated. The kids are the best making sure everything is great and quick to refill your drink. Just wish it was a little closer to town.

For a bonus try the pork chops on Wednesdays. Mmmmm Mmmmm Good!!!

July 25, 2010 at 6:37 p.m.
  • I would have thought that Jim's would have won. I'm surprised by the results. Breaktime is number 2? Who are they?

July 25, 2010 at 6:30 p.m.
  • First of all the best burger should be tried on location, as they taste best when first received. Secondly, what someone looks for in a burger might not be what someone else considers essential.

I know that my family, four generations of us, love Jim's Big Burger. From the buns, which are grilled, to the fresh ingredients and the burger that doesn't hit the gill until it's order--they are the best for us. To each their own.

July 25, 2010 at 6:19 p.m.
  • I haven't had one from them yet, but I'll have to now to see what I've been missing. I used to love the double meat double cheese from Whataburger back in the 70's but they changed. Just not the same anymore. Thanks

July 25, 2010 at 6:09 p.m.