Comments

• Justus1 - I agree with you 100% because of the conflicting stories. I too am interested in what his cell phone records show at the time of the accident. I've seen too many young drivers texting while they drive and babbling away on their cell phones. Good point!

July 29, 2010 at 11:22 p.m.
  • 4reals...I'm not saying it's not LEGAL to be on the road with cars and trucks. I'm saying it's very dangerous and not very smart to mix a 40 pound (?) bicycle going eight MPH with 3,000 pound cars and up to 80,000 pound trucks going 60 to 70 MPH. If there is an accident, you're gonna lose. I try to NOT hit anyone -- it dents the fenders and ruins the paint -- but when a bicycle is just over the crest of a hill or around a curve, the rider is in grave danger because the driver of the automobile can't see him in time to do an orderly slow down and move over. If the bike rider was on foot, there would be no question that he was doing something stupid for playing in the middle of a 50 to 70 MPH road. Well, pardner, the bike isn't very much faster and offers no more protection than a pedestrian has. Just because the law says you have the right to be on the road, doesn't mean the laws of physics don't apply. Oh, well, I guess you're just being generous. Your survivors will probably sue the guy who hit and killed you and they'll get rich (along with the ambulance chaser who filed the lawsuit.)

July 29, 2010 at 6:57 p.m.
  • I agree with jeff. A cyclist has every right to be on any road that any other legal vehicle has to be on the same road. Common courtesy is another word that comes to mind. I too, have ridden the streets of Victoria, the farm to markets, and rural roads and have witnessed the hazards of the 'rude public'. These are the types that feel they are superior.
    Economic downturns or whatever the case, if the law states that they have rights to ride on the road, then you should allow them every courtesy as any other vehicle. Cyclist should heed the law just the same.

July 29, 2010 at 6:21 p.m.
  • Thanks for the video. It was an eye-opener. You know, in the video, I didn't see anyone on a bike that was grossly overweight.

July 29, 2010 at 12:53 p.m.
  • "Love" should go in between "would" and "it." It's hard to type with oven mitts. D=

July 29, 2010 at 12:46 p.m.
  • I would it if we had a lane for bikes like in the video. Talk about going green! It's healthier too.

July 29, 2010 at 12:43 p.m.
  • I hope the gentlemen will recover quickly.

A little off topic but an eye opener : one of the most friendlist cities in the world to cyclists is Copenhagen.

Here's rush hour:

July 29, 2010 at 12:35 p.m.
  • Not all bike riders are riding for exercise; many in today's world ride bikes to get to and from their job. They have no other routes to choose from in these rural neighborhoods. I believe this is the gentleman I have seen riding daily, rain or shine. He always appeared to be riding very cautiously. Try to have some compassion for people just trying to do the best they can with the resources they have.

July 29, 2010 at 12:24 p.m.
  • like to see the cell phone records of the driver

July 29, 2010 at 12:17 p.m.
  • Victoria, Texas is the most bike unfriendly town. We've seen nothing but bike/car accidents lately. Why? Maybe because it's the economy. It's more economical as well as environmentally friendly to ride a bike. Victoria, you need to change your attitude toward byciclists. Please slow down...

July 29, 2010 at 12:06 p.m.
  • john always rides his bike on the shoulder and in town he uses the sidewalk or rides against traffic i know him personally

July 29, 2010 at 11:46 a.m.
  • Bike riders should stay off any hwy where the speed limit is over 30 mph as another person has said. I think it is very dangerous for anyone to ride a bike on any roadway if the speed limit is over 30 mph. And no, anyone who hits a biker is not an idiot. Sometimes bike riders are hard to see until you are right upon them.

I agree with familyman1122, they need to change the law back to when a person had to ride the bike against the traffic. The person in the car can see them better and the person on the bike is able to see the car.

July 29, 2010 at 11:46 a.m.
  • WWW, it's because I've seen some drivers do some pretty stupid things when they encounter bikes on the road. It's like they forgot they have brakes. I've also seen them intentionally run them off the road - so yeah, they're idiots and they should do hard time if they hit a pedestrian or someone on a bike.

July 29, 2010 at 9:43 a.m.
  • Some of you are missing the facts here. The rider was hit while on the shoulder according to the witness behind the driver of the truck that struck the rider. The driver of the truck was no longer in the travel lane! The shoulder at the spot where the rider was hit is wide enough to be a lane. How much room does a pickup truck need? I have seen drivers of 18 wheelers show more coutesy on this road (and other roads) than many other drivers...If there is room for a big rig to share the road with a cyclist, I am sure all of the private vehicles can slow down and give a little room for cyclists and pedestrians.

Don't forget...cyclists drive too...we pay taxes and have as much right to use the roads as any other user. IT IS THE LAW!.

July 29, 2010 at 9:14 a.m.
  • How about bicycle lanes? They would create a fitness initiative in this area like some other places. Might help with that weight problem.

July 29, 2010 at 8:34 a.m.
  • rollinstone...I'm just wondering -- why do you think any driver who hits someone on a bicycle is automatically an idiot. I think anybody who rides a bicycle on a roadway where the speed limit is more than 30 mph is an accident looking for a place to happen.

familyman1122...As long as we're wanting poll questions asked, how about one that required ANYONE on a public roadway to maintain a posted minimum speed which would be, oh say, 75 percent of the posted maximum speed limit?

The problem with bicycles sharing the roads with cars is not that bicycles are inherently unsafe. The problem is the disparity in speed between the bikes and cars. One of my favorite drives in Texas is between Chappel Hill and Washington-On-The-Brazos during wildflower season each spring. It is a winding country road without shoulders but lots of hills. Few things get the heart rate up quicker than topping a hill at legal speeds and finding a gaggle of bicycles in the road.

July 29, 2010 at 8:27 a.m.
  • Rule Number One - Never bicycle on a busy road with little or no shoulders.

Number Two - Never bicycle in the on coming lane particularly on roads with no or little shoulders.

Number Three - Any idiot that hits someone on a bike should do jail time.

Number Four - Any pedestrian or bicyclist on the road should be given a wide berth when passing. If this can't be done because of on coming traffic - THEN SLOW DOWN OR STOP.

July 29, 2010 at 7:57 a.m.
  • The comment from FamilyMan1122 is patently ridiculous. Bicyclists have the same rights and responsibilities while using roads that motorized vehicles have...it is state law.

Riding against traffic ensures that a rider will be hit by a driver pulling onto the roadway from the cyclist's side of the road. A driver does not expect and will not be looking for traffic, i.e. , a cyclist coming from this position. This is a fact, and is one reason cyclists are required to behave in the same manner as normal traffic.

Whether or not the cyclist was in the road way or on the shoulder, he still had the same right of way. It is obvious that the vehicle driver was inattentive. Also, having ridden this same route hundreds of times, I can assure you that many many drivers drive on the shoulder, swerve onto the shoulder, and are generally inattentive. I cannot count the number of times I have been nearly hit while 3 or more feet off of the roadway in the same spot.

I ask that all users of the roads, cyclists and motorists, be aware of what is going on while they are riding or driving. Look out for each other. Don't text or use your cell phone while driving. Cyclists-obey the traffic laws. It is dangerous enough out there on the roads for all of us...

July 29, 2010 at 7:34 a.m.
  • We need to change the bicycle laws back to the way they were when a person on a bike rides against the traffic. This would have prevented this accident. If the man hit was able to see the vehicle coming he could have gotten out of the way. He would be safe and not in the hospital. We are supposed to walk against the traffic and bicycles should do the same. Just ask a bicyclist. It is a safer way to use a bicycle. VicAD can you use this on your question of the day? Should we change the bicycle laws?

July 29, 2010 at 6:08 a.m.