Comments

• Nice to know that Zorro knows EVERY Concealed Carry License Holder in Texas. It must be the mask.

The majority of Concealed Carry people I know of never let many people know they have the license, and if it's truely concealed.....oh, never mind.

Nice to have such a broad mind to match the package you carry it in.

Prayers for the officer and his family.

June 8, 2010 at 2:45 a.m.
  • Times being so stressful and returning soldiers suffering from post traumatic stress; I would like to say a prayer for all officers and those with suicidal tendencies.

[Thank you God.
    For your mercy, your grace, your forgiveness, and your blessing.
    For ourselves, our friends, our family, and our enemies.
    All glory be to God in Christ Jesus name.]

I say mercy, because he does not strike us down every time we sin.
    I say grace, because he always places something or someone in our way to further sin.
    I say forgiveness, because each day grants an opportunity to earn his forgiveness.
    I say blessing, because life is a blessing in world of death.

I say ourselves, our friends, our family and our enemies; because we are one under God.

I say all glory be to God, because life is prayer, every thought and action is either in service to him or against him.

All are victims, all need forgiveness, and it requires all of us be forgiving, to be deserving of forgiveness; because regardless of how we perceive the severity of our actions or those of others, we are all sinners.

All sin, from a lie to death, is equal in the eyes of God; to believe otherwise is to place your will above Gods.

For this, we are granted forgiveness through forgiveness. Peace does not come from outside of oneself, wealth, or even power. Peace comes form self realization, that you are not master of yourself; hence your only responsible is, for fulfilling the purpose to which he who is, requires of you.

God just wants you to care and do your best to care, about living right.

June 7, 2010 at 1:20 p.m.
  • Well is this case hush, hush? Did Rooster have to use deadly force? Where's the follow up?

June 7, 2010 at 1:15 p.m.
  • Wasn't the sister in the room? Maybe the officer thought he was going to shoot his sister? The gun didn't have to be pointed at the officer for the officer to decide that he, or someone else in the room, was in mortal danger.

June 7, 2010 at 12:03 p.m.
  • I just wonder what would make someone think they can point a gun at another person, much less a cop, without consequences. I am glad nobody innocent was harmed and feel the officer was completely justified in his response. IMO

June 7, 2010 at 11:27 a.m.
  • Fine, maybe he didn't point the gun @ the cops. They could still justify deadly force. Example: you order a suspect to drop the gun, instead they cock the pistol and begin to raise it. If you feel the your life is in danger, you can use deadly force. Same as if you stop someone and as you are talking to them they pull a gun out from under the seat. You tell them to drop it and they don't. In both cases, you don't have to wait for them to stick the gun in your face to take action. There are times it happens so fast, you don't have time to use verbal commands. Actions speak louder than words.

June 7, 2010 at 5:37 a.m.
  • When was this supposedly on KHOU? I just went and looked on their website and couldn't find anything about it.

June 7, 2010 at 12:25 a.m.
  • Point blank he did n0t point no weapon at any officers! & did not deserve to die.

June 7, 2010 at 12:14 a.m.
  • Ok, so what "really" happened? Sorry about that comment, anyone dumb enough to point guns @ the police shouldn't be around. Not sure why you think I'm a cop, I'm far from it lol.

June 6, 2010 at 10:44 p.m.
  • Hope all of u nosey ppl who thought yal knew everything watched the news on channel 11 an heard the REAL story.

June 6, 2010 at 10:30 p.m.
  • Gosh, everyone give it a rest. Go home, Zorro, you've made a big enough fool of yourself.

June 6, 2010 at 10:24 p.m.
  • Thank you, oxymoron. You just made my day!

June 6, 2010 at 2:23 p.m.
  • Zorro, being called ignorant is not name calling. Simply put, they are saying you are lacking in knowledge of a particular area.

Now calling you stupid would be name calling, but no one has done that yet.

June 6, 2010 at 1:52 p.m.
  • bordercolliemom,

If you have something to say, say it! Calling me names like ignorant is against the rules in here, but as we all know, rules are made to be broken both in here and out in the real world as well.

I personally don't have a clue what your beef could be unless you have a problem with someone telling the truth. My experience with CHL holders is exactly as I described and I would swear to that in court. I suspect what you are really upset with me about is that I don't hero worship the people you do.

And knight, that's a classy comment you made. I just hope I never get pulled over by you because I'm quite certain if I did, you would somehow make sure your partol camera was pointed away from my vehicle.

June 6, 2010 at 10:31 a.m.

June 6, 2010 at 5:08 a.m.
  • The loss of any human life is sad and painful but these people put their lives on the line every day and see things we never do or will and they do it so their families and ours can live a safe and peaceful life.
    Let the Texas Rangers do their job before we judge.

June 6, 2010 at 4:44 a.m.

June 6, 2010 at 12:15 a.m.
  • mracp

Just curious but is your moniker Mr ACP as in ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol), the acronym chosen by Colt to denote its involvement in the design and/or marketing of several standard models of pistol cartridge.

You say things like "Justified, taken alive, doesn't matter the guy didn't aim, cops are trained to shoot at the first sign of potential gunfire that could result in a wound or fatality" and then you admonish southcide04 "to keep an open mind." Do you similarly have an open mind?

If you can't be a good example, be a warning. tales.

June 5, 2010 at 8:44 p.m.
  • southcide04,
    It's tough to take stuff like this, especially if you think there was a possibility he could have been taken alive. But we weren't there. At least, I wasn't. I read the story and I judge that the cop was justified. I really don't think it matters that the guy didn't aim, but merely pointed his gun. Gosh, do you mean to tell me that if an unstable man points his gun at you, you'll WAIT until he actually aims at you before you shoot? Even iif you had the nerve to wait (which I seriously doubt), I'm thinking that city cops are trained to shoot at the first sign of potential gunfire that could result in a wound or fatality.

Again, we know very few details here. We don't know everything that was said or done, by the deceased or by the cops. If we've learned nothing from local articles, comments (or even TV shows for that matter), we can at least be savvy enough to realize that things aren't always as they first seem. Residual emotions from other events can also play a key role in making snap-judgment calls.

As I read your comment about "crooked Cuero PD", I think you had your mind made up from the get-go, regardless of the facts. This was tragic, pure and simple, but it might help to keep an open mind about such things, and be careful not to generalize, or make ill-advised assumptions.

I hope this helps in some way.
    A prayer for the deceased's family, and the officer involved.

June 5, 2010 at 8:02 p.m.
  • The paper is very vague on what happened....if you had the full story it would be without a doubt that the cop was justified! The boy had prior runins with the law and not saying he deserved it..Its crazy to think that something bad happened and the police dept is crooked! My prayers go out to the family of the boy and the officer...Both are hurting!!

June 5, 2010 at 6:07 p.m.
  • The suspect never aimed at officer thats just what is so bad....yeah there is lot to b proven and it will!

June 5, 2010 at 5:47 p.m.
  • Sorry Zorro, I was confused about the location I guess

June 5, 2010 at 5:02 p.m.
  • OxyContin,

No, that wasn't me you saw in Target. I think you saw me at Walgreen's.

June 5, 2010 at 3:25 p.m.
  • The officer was well within the law. The officer is not a mind reader he can to tell that this person has no intention of harming him. Officers are trained not to procrastinate in those situations. A gun is pointed at you then you assume that person has every intention to harm you so you fire in self defence. The officer did the right thing.

June 5, 2010 at 3:15 p.m.
  • Zorro correct me if I'm wrong, but did I not see you in Target wearing a T-shirt that says "Shoot first ask questions later"

I may have it all wrong, and I do apologize if I have mistaken you for someone else, but if i am not wrong, then your statements above are like the pot calling the kettle black.

June 5, 2010 at 3:12 p.m.
  • A Taser? Really? As I understand the Taser, the high voltage it delivers causes muscle contractions, which would include the muscle that controls the trigger finger. Using a taser against someone pointing a firearm at you sounds like an excellent way to buy a one-way trip to the cemetery. The policeman's response to the situation was correct in all respects.

June 5, 2010 at 3:03 p.m.

June 5, 2010 at 2:05 p.m.
  • get_ur_tilt_on,

Double on you as to what I just posted.

June 5, 2010 at 1:30 p.m.
  • bordercolliemom,

You wrote something I find interesting as to your perception of the use of deadly force. You said "I'll tell you this right now, I'm licensed to carry and if some irrational person points a gun at me, shame on him.....no pepper spray or taser from me (and I sure won't aim for his foot or arm!)." Maybe it's just me, but that sounds like you are just itching to kill somone if they get into your legal sight. You remind me a lot of a neighbor I once had who had a concealed handgun license who was always bragging to me about how he would kill someone if they did this, or if they did that. I can't possibly convey to you how unstable this CHL neighbor was. He was a loudmouth who spewed conservative talking points incessantly and was always looking for a political fight. He has had a CHL since the law allowed for it and I am surprised that I have not read about him shooting someone yet.

I have guns, I'm also a hunter, but I don't have a CHL and don't feel the need for one. I might shoot someone breaking into my house if they did not heed my warning but even then, I would not shoot them down like a rabid dog, I would not be looking for an a legal excuse to be able to kill them. I have never met one CHL holder that doesn't like to wear that distintion and let eveyone they know that they have CHL and imply it's akin to 007 license to kill. Funny how you never hear CHL holders talking that trash talk when when applying for the CHL licesnse. Just because you have the legal right to kill someone doesn't mean you should. I know some folks in law enforcement who are just itching to get into a situation like this one just so they can have bragging rights and be able to tell theri buddies all about it. You know, like war stories, and then they feel they should be given the siver star, heck maybe even the Congressional Medal of Honor.

June 5, 2010 at 1:28 p.m.
  • i dont ever comment like this,.............but southcide04, your a fool. let me start by saying your lifestyle is your deathstyle!!!, if a citizen does stupid crap that involves fire arms, he/she is fully eligable to take a chunk of lead from a police officer............i dont care if it is "crooked cuero pd" or any other pd,..........let this be a check on anyone thinking of pulling stupid crap in your local jurisdiction!!!! and i know the bleeding hearts of America will probably tear me up on this comment but oh well...........bring it! this is what makes our country great, people who are not afraid to pull the trigger when the call comes..............

June 5, 2010 at 1:20 p.m.
  • My heart goes out to the Police Office and also to the family of the victim. The Police Office had no choice, once the man pointed a gun at him. In this case, there were no other options. Sad for all sides.

June 5, 2010 at 1:01 p.m.
  • Rooster had no choice here. My daughter went to school with this kid. Sad day for all.

June 5, 2010 at 12:22 p.m.
  • It's sad to read about the loss of a life but I wasn't there and I didn't see what happened so I can't possibly comment any further.

June 5, 2010 at 12:18 p.m.
  • To Southcide04, you have no clue as to what you are suggesting the officer attempt to do. Anyone who is sucidial has no rational thinking at this point in his life. You do not know what situation the officer(s) were in. I'm sure the officer did not just walk in, see a gun and shoot. Sometimes, negotiations are not an option and a taser? I have yet to see (nor would I even suggest) that when going into any hostile situation, an officer draw his taser for protection instead of a gun. Ride with a cop, be in his shoes and see what you would do. I'll tell you this right now, I'm licensed to carry and if some irrational person points a gun at me, shame on him.....no pepper spray or taser from me (and I sure won't aim for his foot or arm!).

I do feel for the family of this person who's life was taken. They will have so many unanswered questions on why this person did what he did. My prayers are for the Cuero officer who had no choice but to make this decision. Many here in Cuero support you and only hope the investigation is completed and quick so you may focus on protecting our fine town.

Southcide04, if you need a job, I'm sure Cuero PD will hire you, since you think you know how to handle these situations. Let's see how long you last (or stay alive).

June 5, 2010 at 10:23 a.m.
  • AMEN !!

June 5, 2010 at 10:19 a.m.
  • There is no reason to argue/debate with someone (southcide04) who can't even use proper English or spell even the simplest words correctly...

Let it go guys, it's not worth the effort!

As for the Officer involved, he did what he HAD to do. You point a firearm at a cop and that is the result you get. It's not mean or wrong it's the way it is. I hope the Police Officer is able to recover from this incident and that the family of the man that was killed are able to overcome this sad event. Times are a changing people, even in the small towns. Nothing is safe anymore. People have gone crazy and it's definitely become a dog-eat-dog world.

June 5, 2010 at 10:13 a.m.
  • Hey "southcide 04" you watch too much TV. Police are trained to shoot to stop. They don't aim for a leg, or arm, or shoot to kill. The only people trained to shoot to kill is the military. Police shoot "center mass" where the chance of missing is reduced. I fail to understand how you can second guess what the officer should have done unless you were there.(which I doubt) If you have proof of crooked cops in Cuero show the evidence, if not well perhapse you shouldn't offer an ponion. People who haven't been there shouldn't offer blind advise. "it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt" If you think you can do a better job, go through the academy and get a job as a cop, then you might have the right to talk smack.
    KUDOS to the officer, you obiviously had NO other choice. Thank you for your service to the community and keeping the peace.

June 5, 2010 at 9:17 a.m.
  • To LadyTexan..Cuero P.D had many more options 2 bring the youngman down besides 2 shots n the chest area, only if they could have thought twice like maybe a taser, pepper spray, or shot to the body that is not too harmnful.

June 5, 2010 at 8:44 a.m.
  • the officer had no choice..
    he did the only thing he could do
    God Bless the officer and all others that put their life on the line
    each and every day for all of us.

June 5, 2010 at 8:21 a.m.
  • Isn't it odd, though, that our government solicits young men and women to go overseas and kill people for a living, then expects them to come home and everything be just peachy but once they're home, no more thinking like that anymore. What happens overseas...stays overseas? Think again. The nightmares follow them home.

I expect that this officer will suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder like the youngsters coming home from overseas, maybe even worse because he's singled out instead being part of a group. While soldiers get medals for multiple kills, this officer is under scrutiny by the Texas Rangers.

Besides all that, what is going on in Cuero these days? Some sort of weird energy there lately.

June 5, 2010 at 8:15 a.m.
  • pray for the officer because I don't think anyone wants to be put in that position where you're forced to take another person's life!

June 5, 2010 at 7:36 a.m.
  • Southcide you mean to tell me you would stand there and negotiate with a possible derranged person while you "negotiate" with him pointing his gun at you. My guess that if you were an officer yourself and knew the dangers of your job, not to mention your life, you would have done the same identical thing.

June 5, 2010 at 7:36 a.m.
  • I have to side with the police officer...if anyone would point a gun at any one individual we would ALL do as the officer did. You have no idea what to expect and esp. if this person pointing the gun was suicidal. I had a gun pointed at me, and it is HORRIBLE...you are definitely frightened for your life, and had I myself had a gun in hand, I too would have shot without questions....for those who disagree with the officer.....take a ride with an officer...it may change your way of thinking.....I did that and the job of an officer is not a "glamor job". Sure there are some bad officers out there, but don't slam all of them.

June 5, 2010 at 7:28 a.m.
  • I feel for the family of the man who was shot. It is a tragedy when this kind of thing happens for all involved. The family lost a loved one and the officer will have to live with this for the rest of his life as well.

just a few things to think about.

without further info one has to ask did the officer think this man was the one the call was about or a possible 2nd person who was a treat.

were others also present confusing the motives of the man with the supposed gun?

was anyone else in possible danger.

with these thoughts in mind and the inherent danger of the job to start with any officer that sees a gun pointed at himself or others would be justified in the use of deadly force.

Police officers are being shot and killed in larger numbers every year in smaller towns than ever before. The safety and absence of crime in small town america is a myth today. No where is truly safe as in years past. It is a shame that these things happen but more and more people are commiting suicide by cop than ever before leaving behind grieving families and officers who have to deal with taking anothers life. Even when it is justified it is still a hard thing to live with.

June 5, 2010 at 7:19 a.m.
  • Hey Southcide, if you were in a house with a person with a gun and called for help and the officer heard a disturbance inside, would you want them to stay outside and negotiate or come in and help you?

June 5, 2010 at 7:18 a.m.
  • If getn a call on a possiable suicide why did the officer try not to negoiate with the suspect thats what HELP was called for? Its scary to know that you cant call for help anymore u will do better by handlin situations upon yourself. Of course they are goin to say the suspect pointed a gun this is crooked Cuero PD! N too the family my condolence goes to yall!

June 5, 2010 at 6:19 a.m.
  • Sounds like suicide by cop. It's never a good idea to point a gun at a cop.

June 4, 2010 at 11:15 p.m.
  • completely agree i would do the same.....

June 4, 2010 at 10:59 p.m.
  • The police officer was justified. If a weapon was pointed at him, he had every right to fire. Heavy is the heart of the police officer who has to pull a weapon.

June 4, 2010 at 9 p.m.