Comments

• One thing is for certain...business owners can expect twice as many people showing up for donations....

June 13, 2010 at 7:18 p.m.
  • What's wrong with the current uniforms? I've been to plenty of HS games in my life and no drill team has a uniform that is as unique as the Victoriadore uniform.

She can come up with a totally different design and people will still find something to complain about.

June 12, 2010 at 8:07 p.m.
  • red rage, FYI, those uniforms were mothballed along with band uniforms and yes, that would be a strong possibility. The other thing is that she was told that if she ordered uniforms that werent approved by Mr. Lester, she would pay for them out of her pocket.

June 12, 2010 at 7:48 p.m.
  • Come "MEET THE TITANS NIGHT" August 12. It's gonna be big, BIG!!! More info coming soon....

Unleash the Beast!

June 10, 2010 at 10:05 p.m.
  • Since red is in the colors, she can probably bring back the old RED victoriadore uniforms.

What about a Red uniform with black balls on the hat? Think about it DJ :)

June 10, 2010 at 9:46 p.m.
  • oops Legion already covered that, sorry

June 10, 2010 at noon
  • Contact info for the domain is listed as;

"VictoriaHighSchool Drill Team: the Victoriadores
    1110 Sam Houston Dr
    Victoria, TX 77901
    US
    dj [at] icsi.net"

June 10, 2010 at 11:58 a.m.
  • OMG!!!!! Dont any of yall see that the domain name was set up in 1997.... WOW --> this was not formed out of spite! Also, didnt any of yall read that the West site is coming? It is not going to be the new site. Come on guys...

June 10, 2010 at 11:54 a.m.
  • "An important purpose of domain names is to provide easily recognizable and memorizable names to numerically addressed Internet resources. This abstraction allows any resource (e.g., website) to be moved to a different physical location in the address topology of the network, globally or locally in an intranet. Such a move usually requires changing the IP address of a resource and the corresponding translation of this IP address to and from its domain name.

Domain names are often referred to simply as domains and domain name registrants are frequently referred to as domain owners, although domain name registration with a registrar does not confer any legal ownership of the domain name, only an exclusive right of use."
    This is from Wiki...I think it's interesting that dates tell people someone was thinking ahead on how to make money and keep an organization's name alive.

June 10, 2010 at 11:50 a.m.
  • Hmm... for what it is worth...

Domain ID:D202174-LROR
    Domain Name:VICTORIADORES.ORG
    Created On:04-Apr-1997 05:00:00 UTC
    Last Updated On:04-Feb-2010 07:33:24

Registrant Name:VictoriaHighSchool Drill Team: the Victoriadores
    Registrant Organization:VictoriaHighSchool Drill Team: the Victoriadores

Admin Name:VictoriaHighSchool Drill Team
    Admin Organization:VictoriaHighSchool Drill Team

June 10, 2010 at 11:35 a.m.
  • icantcook- the name of the site is victoriadores. how one would think it is an mhs site is beyond me. i think someone already mentioned that dj owns the name. websites are pretty cheap to maintain, and judging by this one, i'd say it's almost free.

June 10, 2010 at 11:25 a.m.
  • fat boy, you are way too funny. and hole in 1, it is my understanding from a mom who had a kid on mhs team is that the website is paid for out of funds that the team earns. If that is so, then nothing but MHS dance and drill team stuff should be on it. the east team should have one and the west team should have one and non of the info from either should be posted on the MHS one. and Im sure that sooner or later, the west team will used the Victoriadore name for something. And Big Brother will be watching and make one hell of stink with the school distsrict. Keep your eyes son your fries.

June 10, 2010 at 9:45 a.m.
  • It's pretty sad when the VA can't even post a picture of a TEENAGE group of girls without having to disable the comment section because a bunch of ADULTS act like fools.

June 10, 2010 at 12:52 a.m.
  • the wild west robbers....

June 9, 2010 at 11:57 p.m.
  • thanks missmanners.

it appears that the new name could be victoriadores.

explain to me how this website is the mhs website.

June 9, 2010 at 11:50 p.m.
  • Here you go holein1: http://www.victoriadores.org/

What will be the new name of the West High Drill Team?

June 9, 2010 at 11:45 p.m.
  • "And can anyone explain me why the MHS site can host the announcements for the west team"

what site are you talking about? i went to http://cms.visd.net/mhs/ and didn't see what you were talking about.

June 9, 2010 at 11:37 p.m.
  • And Hole in one, yes I was told that, as they actually dont have any accesss to the site. It seems to be maintained by former MHS affiliates who seem to feel they can post what ever west wants to convey.

June 9, 2010 at 11:22 p.m.
  • REd Rage, it is my humble opnion that West should also and not post anything on the MHS site, as that is now a trip down memory lane. I think the site should stay up but since the original Victoriadores didnt get that, the MHS site will most likely come down also. I am aware of the east site and groups and am preparing to seek involvent ment with them since my grandchildren live on the East side of town.

June 9, 2010 at 11:20 p.m.
  • icantcook, the East school has their own drill team website...their own football/booster website.

Now what will yall complain about?

June 9, 2010 at 9:13 p.m.
  • @icantcook

have you been told that East cannot post or host on the MHS site?

June 9, 2010 at 6:42 p.m.
  • And can anyone explain me why the MHS site can host the announcements for the west team.................thats not fair either, back to what I said yesterday, if the connection is based on former MHS team members being on the west team, then the east team should post there also..................fair is fair....................

June 9, 2010 at 6:38 p.m.
  • TWINKLETOES

I'm going to let you keep on wondering who I am for a while. I have never implied or attempted to tarnish anyones reputation. I personally believe some wrongs have occurred and I think it's time for everyone to own up to those wrongs. I do not care how many things a person does right, they can quickly undo all the good with a few bad decisions. The dissolution of the MHS Booster club is a shambles because of several reason that I am sure have been pointed out to all here. Honesty and Openness have not been high points of this mess.

I have tried very hard to keep this civil. I have seen your posts on this and other threads. You neither have the ability to be civil or a professional as that tstorm5 refers to.

RedRage
    Their is an enormous difference between drama and serious financial wrong doing. I don't care a whit for the drama, I simply want a speedy resolution to a serious problem.

tstorm5
    Professionalism is something that is hard to attain and even harder to maintain. You talk a good story but some of your West folks are far from ready to uphold your statements. Once this mess is resolved, you will be on the right road. Hang in there, I've read many of your posts.

VISD,
    You have the ability to correct the issues that you are all to aware of. Fix them and fix them quickly. Allowing this behavior to continue will only cause the people that want desperately to support you to fall by the wayside. Once you lose them, you will not get them back.

June 9, 2010 at 6:06 p.m.
  • icantcook- you're right. the same people who constantly whine, bitch and moan will still be around.

there will always be winners and losers. if you win, do so graciously. if you lose, do so with respect.

my advice, don't suck.

June 9, 2010 at 6:03 p.m.
  • Hole in 1, what makes you think this will stop in three years. the people responsible for the unfairness and lying and cheating will still be around,. It wont stop.

June 9, 2010 at 5:45 p.m.
  • how about some cheese with that whine!?!

do we really have to listen to this for another 3 years, until what is left of MHS students have gone?

it seems that some people in this town will always have an issue with those that live in certain neighborhoods. all i can say is, work harder and move there if you think they get all of the breaks.

it seems pretty clear that some of the worst economically disadvantaged areas are also in the same zone as country club, woodway, benchmark, etc.

sounds like the same old song.

June 9, 2010 at 4:10 p.m.
  • Stealthmode, reading your posts has let in light to your identity... I know your daughter was a former MHS Dance and Drill team child that now goes to East. You are just trying to stir the pot. East will be given any $$ it is due. Believe me, we just want to pay what we owe and then move on. Which is exactly what some of you should do.

wifeand mom... like I said, West Dance team doesn't have any funds either. EVERYTHING is frozen and will be given out by VISD.

Between stealth and wifeandmom enjoy your new opportunities at East... stop DJ bashing because it makes you look silly, kind of like two squacking kids fighting over how many skittles each child has in their hands. If both hands are full, then what are you fighting for???

Oh, and as for the banquet... what does it matter how much was spent on that, as long as it was spent on each team member... now ya'll are grasping at straws.

June 9, 2010 at 3:23 p.m.
  • This is the kind of drama you have when you have too many bored women in a small town.

June 9, 2010 at 12:34 p.m.
  • Well said CMONMAN!!! My daughter was on the team... And every-time we had a booster club meeting. They never knew the money figures from TKB nor any of the fundraisers, for that fact. Same story;tell us at the next meeting. Then that person wasn't there to discuss. Also you have to pay a $10 mandatory fed, to attend a booster meeting. If not your not aloud to vote on anything nor attend the meetings!

Posted on there Website:

BOOSTER CLUB

MHS Dance Team Booster Club
    2009-2010 Officers
    President: Kaylene Hidalgo (kaylenehidalgo@yahoo.com)
    1st Vice-President: Lucinda DeLeon (dl-deleon@sbcglobal.net)
    2nd Vice-President: Shannon Evans (shannon.evans@visd.com)
    Treasurer: Amy Cuevas (amy.cuevas@sbcglobal.net )
    Secretary: Phyllis Quinney (phyllisquinney@aol.com)

The role of the Booster Club is to raise funds to offset expenses for the drill team members and to provide members with information concerning drill team events and activities. The membership fee for each family is $10.00. Monthly meetings are held in the Senior Campus cafeteria. To join the Booster Club, download the membership form and mail with a $10.00 check to:

MHS Dance & Drill Team Booster Club
    Kaylene Hidalgo
    109 Crosswind Dr.
    Victoria, Texas 77904

Constitution
    Bylaws

June 9, 2010 at 10:29 a.m.
  • red rage, from what I hear, she has burned her bridges with enough folks that will do something. I have learned some things about VISD in living here as long as I have and one is that they dont like lawsuits. There is a group of parents who will proceed with the fairness issues including the name, because their girls arent on her team anymore and she cant emotionally blackmail them about their student. I still cant believe that ANY parents would subject their kid to some of the pressure that drill team, cheerleading, etc generates. I still say that the basics of education are not and never have been a focus in this district. Parents who sell homes and buy others just so their kid can have their way or be where they thing is socially acceptable, are very sick people. When the district was consolidated against the wishes of the majority of the taxpayers that footed the bill, the BIG TALK was about what an awesome football team it would make. So where are the priorities for the kids who arent athletically inclined and who really need and want a great education to get into college with. I think Mr. Moore can steer this district back to what it needs to be if people will just get off his tail and give him the change. No superintendent since Ive been here has ever been allowed to try their ideas, they got booted before they had a chance, and booted means let us pay your salary, while you are working elsewhere and we are paying for the new guy. Thats called paying one out of his contract and is way too costly.

June 9, 2010 at 8:33 a.m.
  • If you're all so worried about this trivial issue then get off your butts and do something about it. Complaining behind a computer isn't going to help your issue. I can't wait until DJ calls the team the Victoriadores and then you all b*tch and moan behind the computer AGAIN, instead of doing something about it LOL

June 9, 2010 at 8:10 a.m.
  • tstorm, I agree with you about Mr. Moore. He has been the best superintendent that Ive seen since coming here over 25 years ago. Most of them messesd up so badly that we were paying them out of their contracts while paying a new superintendent. Thats a grave was of tax payer money. I say we give him the chance to get things done. Rome isnt built in a day. Our school system didnt get injured overnight and the healing process isnt going to be that way either. I hope and pray that it somehow bounces back to where it was years ago when it was a really good district.

June 8, 2010 at 10:38 p.m.
  • Edith, I think you are right. In talking to some moms of former members of MHS team, she has lost all her good seamstresses and had to order ready made costumes and embelish them. Most parents just tolerated her because of fear. I for one would be most happy to help the East team if they need voulenteers, and I know a couple of others who would also. My kids are all grown and my grandkids do other activities. I give of myself to this community a great deal with different organizations and my church, it wouldnt kill me to take on one more and if my freinds would help it would be a lot of fun. I hope this new director has some great ideas for fundraising. I understand that she was a Raider Belle, and I think their team when it existed was more about strong dance and less about social status. Have a blessed night.

June 8, 2010 at 10:35 p.m.
  • Icantcook--your idea sounds great, but something tells me that the Golden Sabres of Victoria East will be just fine.

Lots of folks are going to rally around and support this new team. They are off at camp right now, and they will come back fired up and ready to dance.

West can have the Victoriadores. They have become such a joke, it is pointless for us to even think things could be different. Our trustees have set the pace and the tone of how this will play out, probably as instructed, lately, by Moore.

So be it.

June 8, 2010 at 9:19 p.m.
  • edith, Im of this opnion. If the West team can use Victoriadores, that has to be because there are former MHS members on that team, so having that said, the East team can use Victoriadores because they also have former MHS members.............so having that said, we should have the West Victoriadores and the East Victoriadores and since MHS was allowed to do it after it was taboo, then BOTH schools should use it...........I wonder how the in famous DJ would like that. She holds an assumed name under the Victoriadores, so if East cannot use it in public schools, neither can she.........just for a private team and quite honestly, I cant see anyone paying her to have their kid on HER private team.

June 8, 2010 at 8:09 p.m.
  • Stealthmode, you just dont get it, there isnt any MONEY to be divided..............Its already been spent very friviously I might add. these people knew what they are doing and I think, first and foremost, that Some of you people who are opposing the west team having already set up fundraisers, should offer to assist the east team in planning a big fundraiser. The other thing is that I personally am OPPOSED to any school associated function selling alcohol or dispensing it gratis to VIP's. That has to be stopped.

June 8, 2010 at 7:47 p.m.
  • TWINKLETOES or anyone else qualified

I asked a series of very detailed questions yesterday and up to this point very few if any were answered. Let's forget those for now. Lets just talk finances, simple finances.

How hard is it?

I understand the good that has been done with this great program. I understand the effort that has been put on display for all of us. I would like to understand just how difficult a task can it be to divide money? To my knowledge (which is limited) all the other booster clubs have performed this task almost without incident. It wasn't just yesterday that this was asked of the booster clubs. The VISD policy makes it very clear what is to be done.

I have it right here for you...
    Upon dissolution, funds should be distributed equally to each new high school’s appropriate booster club. For example, funds available from the MHS Football Booster Club should be divided equitably to the newly established Victoria East High School Football Booster Club and the Victoria West High School Booster Club.
    I'll also provide the link: http://www.visd.com/policy/regulation...
    Please scroll to the bottom, Page 2 of (Supplement 1)

Forget all the difficult questions asked before, for the moment I just have five.
    1) Was any money left over to be divided, in any account or accounts?
    2) What dust needs to settle? (your statement TWINKLETOES)
    3) What is old money? (again your statement TWINKLETOES)
    4) Is TKB in any way, shape, or form intertwined in the Memorial Dance and Drill Team or any variation of those two names?
    5) What is the problem dividing the money as outlined in the VISD policy?

I'm not a betting person but I'm sure that any 1st year CPA could accurately come up with a equal number to divide between these two schools unless of course he/she finds something odd looking in the books.

Again, I enjoy what this program has done for our city. We should all be proud of the girls for their efforts. The questions are very simple and shouldn't take but a moment to answer. If you are still struggling with these , just give number 5 a try for me please.

June 8, 2010 at 6:42 p.m.
  • RedRage, why don't you just save it? If we were talking about the football team, you'd be all over this like a duck on a junebug.

I'll just go ahead and accept that you have no problem with a school employee being insubordinate--for 10 years already, and that you have no problem with a school board that doesn't see that their directives are carried out. Or that Bob Moore sold this package on the claim that all things would be equal? Did he lie?

June 8, 2010 at 5:40 p.m.
  • How was it determined that West High be the one to keep up TKB? Shouldn't it be for both or better yet disbanded since no other extra curricular group has found loop holes to sell alcohol to raise money as a fund raiser?

June 8, 2010 at 5:36 p.m.
  • Twinkletoes: Just want you to know that I am in no way defaming West's drill team. On the contrary, I admire what they have already accomplished w/ their history as the Victoriadores. You mention that West also has no funds. But it is my understanding that the MHS booster club has already PAID for the Community Center for this coming school year for TKB. ????? So..........they used 09-10's funds to pay for 10-11's fundraiser? Who will benefit from that? West will. How is that fair? Again, no disrespect. I wish BOTH drill teams great success!

June 8, 2010 at 5:28 p.m.
  • Would love if Mr. Moore could answer this ten year old question that has stung the south, and now will 'sting' the east.

June 8, 2010 at 2:25 p.m.
  • EdithAnn,

The schools will NEVER be equal. It is impossible. Such is life. Life isn't fair. Get over it. Should we have all the sports teams of East and West play each other to a tie just because you want them to be equal? One is going to be better than the other. That is life.

You bring up the past and how everything was supposed to go away, but it didn't. Memorial still kept BLUE in its colors even though Stroman was BLUE.

Move on people! We already had a booster club member come in here and tell you whats happening, but you all just want to assume you know whats happening before anything even happens. Funny how you ignored her post EdithAnn...just sayin'

June 8, 2010 at 1:29 p.m.
  • This really isn't about Debbie Jaynes, the football team or the booster club.

This is about Bob Moore's promise that all things will be equal--as equal as humans can make them--and we are not even in the buildings and the inequalities are showing up.

Some of the issues go way back--use of the name Victoriadores. I remember very clearly the 'rules' of consolidation. All the old was to go away and all things would be made new. Everyone had to sacrifice what they held near and dear. Except for the drill team-- they only had to change SOME of their colors. The uniform was the same. Wouldn't want the world to think they were no longer the Victoriadores, would we?

In clear defiance of the directives given by the school trustees, Jaynes has continued to do as she pleases, without consequences. How many cars have you seen around town with the "Memorial Dance & Drill Team - Victoriadores" decal on the back window? Plenty.

Unless and until Jaynes is made to follow the rules, or retire, things will remain skewed. This is what is bothering most folks. Apply the rules evenly.

Any other teacher would have been fired 9-1/2 years ago for this kind of insubordination.

There is no such thing as equal. There is not even anything remotely close to it. Not in Victoria.

I am very disappointed in the leadership of the school trustees these past 10 years.

June 8, 2010 at 12:43 p.m.
  • OMG ladies!!! Get off your soap box and wait for the dust to settle. I find it very fascinating how people want to hang DJ Jaynes and this organization out to dry. My daughter is a new member of this organization and we have never been coached to call themselves " Victoriadores". DJ is letting the girls decide on their name when they go to camp. As an active member in the booster club I will tell you that we have inventoried props, costumes etc. and it will be divided between the two groups. I will also let everyone know we are also starting out with zero money also. I made a check out for camp and Friday uniforms this past week and it was made payable to Victoria West Dance and Drill Team, not Victoriadores or Memorial. We are starting new this year and the girls are very excited!!! Please do not ruin it for everyone and spread vicious rumors that most of these bloggers know nothing about.
    West Warriors directed by DJ Jaynes recentely served the Vets at Warriors Weekend. The girls brought back so much from that. They learned lifelong lessons about serving and honoring our vets and their families who do so much for us. DJ has always given back to the community and encourages the girls to always offer help where help is needed. Why can't there be more positive comments about situations like these?
    We know fundraising is very big for these extra curricular activities. Both groups are starting with clean slates at this point. Until the old money is split, they will each have to do their own fundraising to help the girls accomplish their goals. Hopefully, once everything is split we can go about our business. East will also have a great drill team. led by a great director. Victoria will be represented by two great drill teams. It's up to our community to rally behind them and stop all this fingerpointing and namecalling. This does not show the girls on either team how to show any respect towards eachother. Our children are a reflection of ourselves, so mind your manners. After all, it's for the girls!

June 8, 2010 at 11:20 a.m.
  • LOL! All this drama over a high school drill team....ONLY IN VICTORIA!

June 8, 2010 at 11:06 a.m.
  • maybe the best solution would be to make all teachers and others have to switch schools every year that way no one can say one has better staffing.

Maybe Ms. jaynes needs to be replaced if she is not willing to comply with the boards ruling.

Maybe after a few years we will be talking about consolidation again (good grief )

maybe The dance/ drill teams just need to be disbanded altogether if it's such a problem.

Maybe parents need to get a life and let the system have a chance to work.

maybe the school board should get a spine and demand a full accounting from Ms. Jaynes of all funds raised and how they were spent last year and all funds be turned over to the board for equitable split.

maybe the board should tell parents that if caught trying to beat the system by any means will disqualify their children from any sports teams or other squad activties period for their entire school years.

maybe using prior tax roles as placement of students for the next 4 years so it won't matter where you live now but where you lived last few years to stop people from moving just to change schools.

maybe all teachers and coaches be required to teach or coach at both schools every other year.

maybe parents need to be told that the school board reserves the right at the beginning of the school year to modify boundries to ensure equality so no residential area is sure to be in east or west until just before classes begin

Maybe each neighborhood needs to be split in half and which school attending will be decided at a latter date to stop this BS being pulled by the parents Or maybe at the last minute make every one in west area go to east instead of west.

The so-called elite need to get off their high-horse and quit thinking they can do as they please. Or maybe no sports or drill teams be fielded if parents won't co-operate.

June 8, 2010 at 11:01 a.m.
  • "txzambo Report a Violation
    Permalink To the person who suggested that Mrs. Jaynes retire and start her own private drill team, she must have plans to do just that. She has filed an assumed name for the "Victoriadores" name and the paperwork shows her as the owner and her home adress as the bus iness address. Assumed name filings are good for 10 years. There has al so been a great number of things "Donated" to a local business who is a personal freind of Mrs. Jaynes. Keep your eye on what your tax dollars paid for. Also, when the team traveled to San Antonio competition this spring, the girls as well as the directors were warehoused at the Marriott Rivercenter. Isnt that a tad extravagent for a high school team? was not the hotel they used in the past years good enough or perhaps their well known behavior caused the hotel to refuse their reservation.

May 20, 2009 at 6:34 p.m."

All one has to do is research and you can find the information on why the name "Victoriadores" hasn't gone the way of all the other organizations put to rest ten years ago at the time of the consolidation.

June 8, 2010 at 10:54 a.m.
  • shouldn't criminal charges be brought up? Is the vdores or dance team the same or different? Seems like they use the NAME for separate events. either they are in public school bylaws or should be banned from using school facilities if they have a private bda.

It starts with Escalona and the buck stops at Moore. Lets see what happens.......

June 8, 2010 at 10:43 a.m.
  • This whole comment section makes me laugh. Thanks for keeping me entertained :)

June 8, 2010 at 10:01 a.m.
  • "The west is the best,
    Get here, and we'll do the rest "

The Doors - The End

June 8, 2010 at 9:51 a.m.
  • East WILL have the better drill team. They are on their way. That's why West feels they need a head start.
    There is or will be nothing inferior about East.
    And just watch home values when the next low income apartment project is built adjacent to West.

June 8, 2010 at 9:37 a.m.
  • I have nothing against DJ Jaynes. She's done an amazing job with the drill teams for many many years. My problem is that now we need to start fresh with both schools. Any funds remaining from MHS that were intended for drill team use should be split evenly and both programs allowed to get off to a new start with new names and new uniforms that bare no resemblence to the past.

Yes, this is just the dance and drill teams, however they make a big public presence with the high schools in this town, and if there is a perceived inequity between the schools, and a majority of parents moving to the community want to live in a certain part of town so their child can go to a certain school as a result of the extra curricular issues, then we have a bigger problem.

Property values may be affected. How would you like to own a large home in Colony Creek if it is determined that East is an inferior school? Kinda puts a different slant on the problem.

June 8, 2010 at 9:33 a.m.
  • School board if you are snoozing, you are losing.... why do continue to allow Ms. Jaynes to call "her" dance and drill team (the future West Warriors Dance team), The VICTORIADORES?

June 8, 2010 at 8:40 a.m.

June 8, 2010 at 6:18 a.m.
  • the issue isnt the west director, the issue is if funds were evenly split between the two programs ?

June 8, 2010 at 1:45 a.m.
  • Guess they better get to work...parents better step up & get involved in the booster club.

The schools cannot be equal....when the football teams play each other will they not keep score? Somebody will win & somebody will lose. Didn't East keep Finley? He has a program already in place...don't hear any hoopla about that....its just you disgruntled DJ hating moms that keep stirring the pot. Let it go.......

EdithAnn....your point is valid...the school board shoulda stopped that & they didnt. Am I surprised? No...this is Victoria after all.

June 7, 2010 at 11:51 p.m.
  • @ edith
    no i am not a lawyer, but someone who is puzzled as to why, if all the things said here are true, has someone not thought to seek legal means of ending the issue.

June 7, 2010 at 11:48 p.m.
  • The new director is being given a chance. She's NOT the issue. She's very qualified for the position, but she is there to focus on the team's dance program. She has nothing to do with raising money for these girls. That's a job for the booster club. East drill team currently has ZERO!!!! funds! ZERO! Planning for a successful year entails activities that cost MONEY!!! It's not an issue for YOU, because you're not paying squat out of your pocket! But it's an issue for the newly formed team who has NOTHING to start with.

June 7, 2010 at 10:58 p.m.
  • VBB-- you are correct--DJ is free to do whatever, as is Misty Gomez. But this is the very thing that makes Bob the Builder's claim of 'all things equal' laughable. They are not. Everyone does not have to follow the rules, and no one seems accountable.

The 'Victoriadores' were disbanded BY ORDER OF THE SCHOOL BOARD over 10 years ago. A new Memorial Dance and Drill team was created. The football team did not continue to be called the Stings. The band had to change their name. Everyone had to comply but Jaynes. DJ has refused to comply and she has been given free reign with the name of the drill team.

She is absolutley free to do whatever she wants with her www.victoriadore website. What she shouldn't be free to do is continue to defy the school board by referring to the CURRENT (last 10 years) Memorial Dance and Drill as the Victoriadores. Recently on KAVU a Dance and Drill team member said, "I've always wanted to be a Victoriadore, and now I am one!" No, you're not!

These girls would not be calling themselves Victoriadores if they were not being encouraged by the director.

It's the damnest thing I've ever seen.

June 7, 2010 at 10:58 p.m.
  • The percieved inequality is in your mind at this point. Give the other director a chance to set up her program. This is a non-issue at this point in time.

June 7, 2010 at 10:51 p.m.
  • The dance/drill team issue arose from the fact that both schools SHOULD be equal - that was the whole point of the two new high schools being erected. Go back the read the article again. It's about parents unethically submitting false addresses so their children can attened the "better" school. Ummmm...maybe some of us have children who will be affected by this unfairness. So we are doing what we can to make matters fair. And NOT by JUST posting here!

Tstorm5: What?? We ARE involved with our kids extracuricular activities and would like nothing more than EVERY kid to have the same footing going into these 2 new schools - hence, the controversy - IT'S NOT EQUAL! There are kids who will be affected by these matters that grown a** adults are making resulting in an UNBALANCED equation!

RedRageNDallas: Yes, it's just hs drill team for crying out loud - BUT that is an extracuricular activity that allows some of the students to be a part of to gain discipline, self esteem, self worth and school spirit. Why shouldn't it be as fair as all other activities in school? It's an activity that may keep students on the straight and narrow. It should be something they're proud to be a part of and they should be able to begin their traditions without totally being the underdogs. The Victoriadores ARE the pride of the Southwest - no doubt - they have a foundation, a history and a proven record. That is something to be proud of. But our other school should be able to start out with the same funds and equipment to also make them successful.

Furthermore, my request for Gabe to follow-up on the story is not because we can't do our own "dirty work"! BUT a little exposure of this controversy, so the public knows what's going on, wouldn't hurt.

School rivalry is good for the spirit, but downright inequality this early in the game isn't good for anyone.

June 7, 2010 at 10:48 p.m.
  • It has been known that DJ would be retaining her position at West. I saw the website & it is the same stuff she's been doing, no surprises. There is nothing being said that the Drill team director at East cant do the same thing. She can hold fundraisers & run her team the same way DJ does, if thats what she wants, nobody is tying her hands behind her back. Who knows, East may have a better drill team...its all up to the director to put herself out there to get it done. No where on that site is DJ putting hits on anyone....it is the same ole stuff thats been going on for decades now. I stand by my earlier statement....these disgruntled moms need to hop off & get a life. Let's hide & watch...give East a chance to get their organization together, let's not prejudge their program as inferior....it's not fair to the kids.

June 7, 2010 at 10:39 p.m.
  • From tstorm: “I am certain that if there is anything improper it will be resolved before school start.” I don’t hold out much hope for that as it’s been 10 years and the School Board has yet to enforce its decision as it pertains to Jaynes.

As much money as is generated and spent by the Dance and Drill team, I think anyone would agree that this is a matter that needs to be looked into and settled.

Holein1—you must be an attorney. If anyone needs to be sued, it is probably the trustees for dereliction of duty.

Fatboy, et al, apparently they are okay with the Victoriadore arrangement. VISD has done nothing to discourage the use of the name in connection with Memorial High School.

If the West Dance and Drill team is officially called the Victoriadores when school starts, I suggest that the entire school board be recalled and Moore fired immediately!

June 7, 2010 at 10:26 p.m.
  • Hey! VBB----go here:

Then come back and tell us what you see.

June 7, 2010 at 10:07 p.m.
  • jus quit making things worse most of the people in country club and woodway are elders. either way they will be the same.

June 7, 2010 at 9:49 p.m.
  • OK, I typed in the various drill teams on the home page & I mustve missed something cuz all I saw was a blurb about holding tryouts......you women need to get a life.

June 7, 2010 at 9:42 p.m.
  • Some of you need to get a life. This is high school drill team for crying out loud. It's not a life or death situation.

I also find it funny that some of you are asking Gabe to do the dirty work for you. What is wrong with you? If you're so worried about what's going on with the drill team, then get off your butt, off the computer and do something about it. Don't ask Gabe to do the work for you.

June 7, 2010 at 8:51 p.m.
  • Before these schools open, I agree that the questions posed by stealthmode8 and others here, be publically answered by Bob Moore and the Board of Trustrees. How about it KAVU, an investigative report if VICAD isn't willing?

June 7, 2010 at 8:27 p.m.
  • stealthmode8: all legitimate questions. Thank you. I too would like to know the answers. And from what I've been told, this issue is "under investigation" with VISD.

Gabe: Although drill team issues may be frivolous to many, this is an issue of equality or perhaps inequality and IMO is newsworthy. I know that there have been past issues with the MHS Drill/Dance Team/Victoriadores before, but after all it is about our school district and what they're doing or not doing to make sure that everyting gets split down the middle. Please seek your higher-ups to follow-up with this story and keep everyone abreast of this situation.

June 7, 2010 at 8:22 p.m.
  • parents in my area have old me that the sports clubs had the be split fair or they wont not be signed off as official. fair enough 'eh.

so why is this group different?!?!? Can some mom tell me if its true the booster treasure quit?!? That should be a red flag.

audit. audit. audit. consequence. consequence. consequence.

June 7, 2010 at 8:20 p.m.
  • Sorry, I didn't know how to post youtube's address for my last post.

June 7, 2010 at 8:20 p.m.
  • 1,899
    views 1,899
    views mags6408 — March 17, 2008 — Victoria Memorial Victoriadores 2008 Show Production "Tarzan" National Champions!! Showtime International Moody...

Amazing how no matter where you look VICTORIADORES keeps showing up...for something that was suppose to be gone ten years ago, isn't it something how DJ can keep this alive?

June 7, 2010 at 8:17 p.m.
  • PART II

In closing, I would like VISD to make it a mandatory practice for every dime all school activities produce made available to the public. What's to hide? I understand that these aren't public corporations that are traded on the open market. They are however a part of our community and any image that is not flawless in every appearence should be investigated immediately. It is very possible that VISD has answers to all these questions and I'm sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong. I should also let everyone know that I have never participated in, been any part of, or attended any TKB event or activity, nor have I been involved in any function of the Dance Team. It just seemed odd that a Dance Team associated itself so closely with TKB and apparently has no ties what so ever.

Thank you Gabe for the article and I hope you make an effort to follow up on this.

June 7, 2010 at 7:59 p.m.
  • PART I

I'm not trying to cause problems here Victorians, but I think people work better as a team if they are open and honest with each other. I've developed a few questions that if answered openly and honestly will solve much of the mystery and appearence of wrong doing in this area. I'm not using this as a way to try to tarnish anyones reputation or harm a superior Dance & Drill team. I simply think more people than myself are curious about this program. I am suprised that a Dance and Drill team at a High School level is allowed to operate in such secrecy. I don't believe any of these questions are outrageous or demeaning in any way. I think that any High School program unable to "clearly" provide an answer to this kind of scrutiny unfortunately gives us all the feeling that someone is trying to hide something. These aren't difficult questions. They are simply a few I have drummed up after about 6 months of hearing rumors, gossip, and hear say from parent's, this website, and friends. If for no one other than myself, I would love to have the air cleared once and for all. I mean come on folks, this isn't Enron. This is a High School Dance Team. I had a few other questions, but the rumor was so vague, I didn't think it fair to ask.

Where is the money that the MHS Dance team raised this year (2009-2010) from TKB? Did any of the parents whose children are going EAST work on TKB? Is all the money in the TKB account gone or accounted for? What was the profit from 2009-2010 TKB? Is it 100% clear to all participants in the Dance Team that TKB and Dance Team are completely seperate intities?
    What funds are being used for anything related to 2010-2011 TKB event?
    What did the MHS Dance Team spend the money on that was raised by TKB? Was any of the money from TKB transferred into the MHS Dance Team Booster Club?
    Was the MHS Dance Team under the UIL? At any time?
    Are the Victoria East and Victora West Dance Teams under the UIL rules?
    How much money was spent on the MHS Dance Team banquet?
    How much money was split between the Victoria East Dance Team and the Victoria West Dance Team once the MHS Dance Team Booster Club was dissolved? How much TKB money was split between the Victoria East and Victoria West Dance teams?
    Why have the MHS Dance Team been allowed to use the Victoriadore name?
    What happened to all the MHS Dance Team equipment and props (built by parents)?
    Is TKB registered as a Booster Club for either MHS Dance Team or Victoria West Dance Team?
    Have any VISD Board Members or their immediate family members ever been payed to work with the MHS Dance Team?
    Has the District ever had to seek advice of an attorney concerning the MHS Dance Team and/or TKB? If not, why not?
    How much money was spent on uniforms for the Victoria East Dance Team and Victoria West Dance respectively? What funds were used to purchase these uniforms?

June 7, 2010 at 7:58 p.m.
  • here's an idea. if you think there is something fishy going on, then get a group together of like minded people and file a class action lawsuit. if money was hidden or withheld, then let the courts settle the issue. your lawyer could file an injunction.

if dj jaynes owns the name, is she charging the district for its use?

if the funds are in an account owned by the booster club, then the bylaws will determine how those funds will be used. did the booster club take a vote on which drill team will receive the funds?

June 7, 2010 at 7:50 p.m.
  • Take a look for yourself!
    http://www.victoriadores.org/ ------> Is the School Board going to CONTINUE to allow WEST High Dance and Drill Team be called the VICTORIADORES? Probably, since Bernie Klimist's wife is the Choreographer...

June 7, 2010 at 7:17 p.m.
  • As a graduate of VHS many moons ago I too am sick of the Victoriadore name being drug on and on and on. Uggh. It was originally affiliated with Victoria High School which has not existed for nearly 10 years!!! For Gods sake! Bury the Victoriadore name 6 feet under! Please!

If either of the new Drill Team outfits have those little dingle balls on them or on the hats I will puke!!!

Both drill teams should be equally funded and equipped before the first day of school. If they are not someone is using very poor judgement!

June 7, 2010 at 7:10 p.m.
  • I assume VISD approved and condones this site, So all ok. http://www.victoriadores.org/

June 7, 2010 at 7:05 p.m.
  • Robert, To answer your question about "Victoriadores" name, Debbie Jaynes "owns" the name and so she promotes it and took it with her.

June 7, 2010 at 5:30 p.m.
  • how is it possible for only one school to claim the 'victoriadore' name ?

i think vicad should question both drill team instructors and find out how funds / uniforms / props were split up between the two schools. more specifically, how was TKB funds split between the two schools ????

now let me laugh, because we all know vicad will not approach any drill team subject with a 10 ft pole.

June 7, 2010 at 4:24 p.m.
  • dragenrider: Yes. We are on the same page. How long will it take for everybody else to see how unfair and manipulative ppl can be regarding our school district . Someone with some kind of sense and power needs to stand up and make it fair for the sake of our kids!

June 7, 2010 at 4:17 p.m.
  • wifeandmom, what I meant to say is that we need totally different uniforms for each school, NOT a variation of the old Victoriadore one, but both different from what we've seen in the past. I think we are both on the same page here.

June 7, 2010 at 3:38 p.m.
  • Listen VERY carefully, VISD. You have been given a chance to start over, from scratch, to correct the mistakes of the past. Everyone is watching. Don't let this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity go to waste. We can change the future of this town.

June 7, 2010 at 2:31 p.m.
  • drama drama

June 7, 2010 at 2:24 p.m.
  • The ethnic breakdown is not a true barometer to investigate the inequality of the two high schools. Please give us a graphic that includes household income. I think the people would be startled and outraged.

June 7, 2010 at 2:21 p.m.
  • And I hope ppl have enough wisdom TO force a variation to the old Victoriadore uniform. VHS is no longer a high school! We have 2 NEW HS's and it should all be new and different! Change IS good! Allow it to happen and quit living in the freakin' past!

June 7, 2010 at 2:07 p.m.
  • I sincerely hope that people have enough wisdom to forbid a variation of the old Victoriadore uniform at West High School. If this happens, someone should be fired or voted out!!!!!!

June 7, 2010 at 1:55 p.m.
  • If what wifeandmom says about the lack of MHS booster club funds and equipment to share with East is true, this is horriffic. There should be an equal division of funds and resourses between the two schools.

Newearth suggested going to the VICAD home page and typing in both drill teams and find out what happened. I did this, and it is very plain that inequity is happening from the very beginning.

Something should be done about this right away, or it will take years to get things on track if ever.

I was a Raider Belle, and I know how it feels to be humiliated by the arrogant Victoriadores at a crosstown basketball game. The inequity should not have been tolerated then, and it should not be tolerated now.

Someone in power, please do something before we get these schools off to a bad start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 7, 2010 at 1:52 p.m.
  • Glad someone brought up the issue of drill team. We've all been beaten to death by the whole name issue concerning the MHS drill team which, I for one, am sick of. But, I wonder if the public knows what's going on now.

The article speaks of equality. Okay, I'll buy that. I think that the board has made every effort to be fair. But in the case of splitting the drill team...well, it has NOT been split equally. Here's what I understand as of this day. MHS booster club is claiming they have NO funds to split with East. Really? Wow! I know that TKB generates many funds for the team. AND NO equipment (props, costumes, etc.). Really? Ever been to one of their exhibitions???

In any case, my point is that inequality is in existence before the doors of the school are even open. We can't blame the students -it's the ADULTS in this situation (who need to GET A LIFE!!!).

The director/assistant at West have a proven team with history. That's great. But the East drill team must be developed and built from the ground up - with NO FUNDS or resources. This current situation is NOT surprising to me (knowing the reputation of MHS's director).

In a nutshell, it's a SHAME!!! Whatever. Life goes on! It's only hs drill team. But it's the students (in this case the drill team members) who are being shorted. IMO: Hey, you adults causing this inequality - IT'S HIGH SCHOOL!!! GET A LIFE!

June 7, 2010 at 1:23 p.m.
  • Many, and I'm suggesting a number over 100, will change/alter their address to attend the school of their choice. There will be cousins, uncles, aunts and all other relatives whose address is used to acheive this act. VISD will not catch them all.

June 7, 2010 at 12:53 p.m.
  • West is Best and East is Beast? Are you kidding me. Ok, try this and see if you see it different. West is Less And East is Lease. You can put it however you want. As long as my kids learn what they need to learn, then who cares what side of town you go to school.

June 7, 2010 at 11:26 a.m.
  • How can you even draw a conclusion about which school is best before the doors have even opened? That's ridiculous. And the only people who care are parents. The kids don't give a darn. It's THEIR education, not mom and dad's.

June 7, 2010 at 11:09 a.m.
  • Go to your homepage and just type in Victoria West Drill Team and see where it takes you, then type in Victoria East Drill Team and see where that takes you, and then there should be no doubts.

June 7, 2010 at 8:59 a.m.
  • West or East, nothing will change, to say the least!

June 7, 2010 at 8:41 a.m.
  • I have witnessed a local doctor tell a principal, "I am using this address for my child." The principal said, "But this is your office address and we need the house address." The doctor huffed and said, "Either use this address (which I own the building) or I will buy a house in this part of town and have the mail delivered there." Unhappy parent, non-supported principal and a child that got to stay in the school.

Although this actual incident happened years ago, it still happens today. There will always be people who know how to work the system to get what they want.

June 7, 2010 at 8:23 a.m.
  • I have said from the get go that these schools where going to be treated like we were between SHS and VHS. It will always be like that bc of the school board we have. They don't care about our kids or our familys as long as they look good. My son is on a committee that the school board is suppose to go to when they want the student body input. Theses colors that were picked for the schools IS NOT what the student body picked, nor is the mascots. I just hope that East and West is not going to be treated like SHS and VHS was. SHS class of 98'

June 7, 2010 at 8:18 a.m.
  • Three were unsuccessful, but how many were successfull in enrolling their kid where they wanted to go by using a relative or friend's address.

June 7, 2010 at 8:15 a.m.
  • I am not commenting on which school is best. I think Mr. Moore has already done a great job of being as equitable as possible. Both schools will offer the same things, any differences will be done at the old MHS Senior campus.

However, as a parent, I am fully backing the parents on this issue. Regardless of their intention, school choice is a parental right. Parents are the primary edcators of their children. I am not saying breaking the law is ok, like claiming you live where you do not, but raising a stink is quite natural in this matter.

June 7, 2010 at 7:59 a.m.
  • Could this quite possibly be a return of school spirit? Or another who gives a damn what a school I go to? It seems that is the parents of most of these students who care most for a certain school than the students themselves. Anyone who doubts otherwise should ask me about my 4 years at MHS.

June 7, 2010 at 7:29 a.m.