Comments

• Bighorn.

You first.

July 22, 2010 at 12:49 a.m.
  • I love peaceful protestors, they are so much fun. Security, from what, do we need a fence to keep people who pour harmless stuff on themselves in protest? Please!

June 17, 2010 at 3:07 p.m.
  • seriously, can we some REAL security at the capitol

how was she even allowed to walk through the doors

June 17, 2010 at 1:52 p.m.
  • She's baaaack! Video this time.

www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20008...

June 17, 2010 at 1:06 p.m.
  • A multi-named poster calls out all to identify themselves. lol. No wonder this forum is dying!

Old hippie makes local news with sticky stuff. Wow! One way plane ticket? I think somebody doesn't want to see someone ever again. Hitch Hike, anyone?

June 13, 2010 at 7:03 a.m.
  • I respect Mrs. Diane Wilson. Heck, I think she is more man enough than some of you faceless macho conservative male chest beaters. This is coming from a man who strong disagree with the “Green” movement. I am starting to favor the usage of real names in these forums. I want to know who are these faceless chest beaters especially those who sent hostile emails to me.

June 13, 2010 at 12:01 a.m.
  • Were they commenting on my crazy community: my "lively hood?" LOL I poked fun at myself about that one.

June 12, 2010 at 8:27 p.m.
  • June 11 in the evening a poster referred to your posting..but no worries, Rebecca. Honestly, don't worry, that toxic viewpoint is gone.

June 12, 2010 at 7:42 p.m.
  • Talk with my daughter? What are you talking about?

June 12, 2010 at 6:28 p.m.
  • Knocked off over forty comments with that zapper button...

Rebecca, I am glad that the comment that was posted by someone else concerning your talk with your daughter was zapped, because it turned nasty. Glad someone got rid of that post, so that your posts stand alone with no implied nastiness.

June 12, 2010 at 6:16 p.m.
  • I would venture to say that Diane Wilson is a remarkable person within her comfort zone or a particular group of activists. She maybe seen as eccentric or even a fruitcake, but one has to give credit where credit is due. She had a point to make, and it would be made regardless of the consequence or the repercussion of her actions. Some may call her a hero from within her circle, others would not, it would most likely be stated by an adjective or two followed by an incomplete sentence.

Based on a little information that “Pilot” has provided, perhaps she was unable to knock on doors or the door of the aforementioned Senator which she made a nonverbal attempt to communicate her massage of dissatisfaction of how the oil spill was being handled or as to why it was allowed to happen. Are just maybe she was not capable of having a conversation and articulate her feelings about her objections to the cause. So no one was hurt, maybe some were embarrassment on both sides, then again maybe not.

I’m not a fan of environmentalists, I think they are pirates and hypocrites and their mission is strictly for monetary gain “money.” I believe their actions are totally convoluted.

I think most of the comments within this topic were in one aspect or another were valid, I didn’t care for the “redneck” term, Pilot placed guilt on all, which was unfounded, I do not throw beer cans in the bay or the Gulf of Mexico. I’m sure that shrimp boat that he spoke of has its fair share of pollution problems which goes right into the bay or Gulf of Mexico.

June 12, 2010 at 6:12 p.m.
  • he'll be back

June 12, 2010 at 6:07 p.m.
  • Does anybody notice the conspicuous absence of a certain someone??????

June 12, 2010 at 5:14 p.m.
  • There is a higher level of reading comprehension that is only possible with a mature brain, and immature brains have difficulty being successful with this skill. That skill is inference. So when words are read, readers must take those words and infer the meaning behind words. When it is inferred that Gyro aligns this woman with terrorists, a mature reader would take his posts and come to that conclusion. Below, I've copied and pasted ONE of the posts that shows how the terrorist comparison is so obvious.

"I've known Diane for many years and can attest to her high intelligence and her willingness to sacrifice for a cause. She's got the guts to do what's right, and the savvy to get results
    This is exactly what their associates say about the Jehadist suicide bombers."

June 12, 2010 at 12:48 p.m.
  • CODEPINK emerged out of a desperate desire by a group of American women to stop the Bush administration from invading Iraq. The name CODEPINK plays on the Bush Administration's color-coded homeland security alerts — yellow, orange, red — that signal terrorist threats. While Bush's color-coded alerts are based on fear and are used to justify violence, the CODEPINK alert is a feisty call for women and men to "wage peace."

You know Gyro, if you are going to copy and paste, maybe you would want to stretch out and find out what something is before you try to drag it through the sewer. Inferring that CodePink is liken to a gentleman's (?) club in Corpus is hitting below the belt. Peope in the organization of CodePink has high standards and are willing to fight for future generations. You are way off base.

June 12, 2010 at 12:31 p.m.

June 12, 2010 at 11:30 a.m.

June 12, 2010 at 10:41 a.m.
  • I don't hear the buzzing Kyle, but I do hear an echo.

June 12, 2010 at 9:20 a.m.
  • All I hear is buzzing, where's my rolled up copy of the VicAd?

June 12, 2010 at 8:59 a.m.
  • @anonyme,

I respect your point of view here and i admit that the particular types of comments I have made over the last day or so are not my style - I am not perfect by any means and apologize for my part in derailing the topic of conversation here.

However it has to be said when a fly becomes a pest it has to be put out if its misery and that sometimes calls for fighting fire with fire.

Unfortunately the downside is that one risks stooping to the same level of infantile behavior as superfly here exhibits.

Given my unruly behavior I apologise for any offense caused to those species higher on the evolutionary scale.

Thanks

June 11, 2010 at 11:46 p.m.
  • Yeah, Gyro--I'm talking about you, and no, you're not contributing to the conversation. Just like anywhere else, it is QUALITY, not QUANTITY. Using the KS method of forum participation is not advised.

32 out of 75 posts on this story belong to you. Most of your posts come in 3s and 4s. You are out of control!

Peckerhead! Love it, Pilot. I thought my daddy was the only one who used the term.

June 11, 2010 at 8:31 p.m.
  • See? Chance was part of a sentence I deleted and it ended up caboosing my post.

June 11, 2010 at 8:26 p.m.
  • To all of you, Kyle especially, that measure intelligence by the occurance of typos in a post, I will say that sometimes internet connections don't keep up with fast typists and, thus, cause unintended errors. Proofreading skills may not be the best for some, since posters are given the chance to check for error, I will acknowledge. chance.

June 11, 2010 at 8:20 p.m.
  • Tilt-A-Whirl-

It is NOT necessary for you to repeat EVERY comment that someone makes when you post your incessant replies!

Advocate--yank this guy. He is out of control, possibly on a manic high or something! He is not contributing to the community conversation!

June 11, 2010 at 7:19 p.m.
  • Slippery slope? Slippery coast?

June 11, 2010 at 5:53 p.m.
  • I'm always so relieved when you guys let my big spelling errors slide. That was a big one! Not my biggest... Sometimes I don't even notice them until I come back a few hours or days later.

Gyro, Explain more about the slippery slope.

June 11, 2010 at 5:52 p.m.
  • Nice Ad for a oil spill lawyer on the bottom of treehuger article, lol, too funny!

June 11, 2010 at 4:30 p.m.
  • looks to me like she got her press, might get to be on some talk shows

slap a fine on her for disrupting the hearings and let it be

now, the 'security', needs to be stepped up. she should have never been allowed into the hearing with a jar of syrup.

June 11, 2010 at 3:37 p.m.
  • Someone needs to lay off the Red Bull, Coffe and 5 hour energy mix...The prevalent commenter sounds like a babbling.....well you know.

June 11, 2010 at 2:47 p.m.
  • Go on gyro, do it, pick out the error..

;-)

June 11, 2010 at 2:26 p.m.
  • @Pilot "Only a redneck peckerhead idiot would compare a peaceful protest..."

You ommited infantile pedant from your sentence.

June 11, 2010 at 2:24 p.m.
  • Well said Pilol!

June 11, 2010 at 2:10 p.m.
  • Gyro, Diane spilled syrup on herself to become a "criminal?" Compare that to the spill she was protesting. She didn't destroy lives and lively hood.

June 11, 2010 at 12:18 p.m.
  • I would like to replace the word "passionate" with "obsessed."

June 11, 2010 at 11:42 a.m.
  • gyro, debating with you is similar to debating a junior high school dropout. smart enough to be in the conversation, but not smart enough to be dangerous.

let us take a look at a direct comparison of activism and terrroism as defined by Websters

Main Entry: ac·tiv·ism
    Pronunciation: \ˈak-ti-ˌvi-zəm\
    Function: noun
    Date: 1915
    : a doctrine or practice that emphasizes direct vigorous action especially in support of or opposition to one side of a controversial issue

— ac·tiv·ist \-vist\ noun or adjective

— ac·tiv·is·tic \ˌak-ti-ˈvis-tik\ adjective

Main Entry: ter·ror·ism
    Pronunciation: \ˈter-ər-ˌi-zəm\
    Function: noun
    Date: 1795
    : the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion

— ter·ror·ist \-ər-ist\ adjective or noun

— ter·ror·is·tic \ˌter-ər-ˈis-tik\ adjective

Support for a cause would be the only comparison I would draw between the two.

Why did you choose to use a suicide bomber?

June 11, 2010 at 11 a.m.
  • Gyro, you seem a little passionate about this subject. You are about to reach activist status which means that you are a suicide bomber? =P

June 11, 2010 at 10:36 a.m.
  • You Go Girl!!! I support Diane Wilson! In the months to come when all that oil starts coming to Texas at least we will have Diane on our side. She has put Seadrift on the map and I for one think it is in a good way. Stuff it Gordongecko! If you live in Calhoun County please move.

June 11, 2010 at 9:08 a.m.
  • the story is young, and therefore i believe the results may have yet to be seen. good, bad or whatever.

i question your use of a suicide bomber as someone with some of the same attributes. i guess it's as good as using an athlete, business person, politician, police officer or soilder. imo, suicide bombers are not activists, but extremists.

June 10, 2010 at 8:59 p.m.
  • guilty of not proof-reading, and obviously reading comprehension needs to be added to that.

perhaps you are a friend of mine, and didn't know it. perhaps i know who you really are and have been watching you. perhaps not.

i would say that comparing attributes is akin to comparing the two subjects of the attributes. anyone else agree with me, or am i wrong?

June 10, 2010 at 4:43 p.m.
  • She needs to spend more time in jail and pay more money in fines. Maybe then she will think before she makes another bone headed protest.

June 10, 2010 at 4:27 p.m.
  • @gyro: "Heroes marytrys etc and especially "her willingness to sacrifice for a cause."

But you didn't choose the word "hero" did you? You misspelled the word Jihadist (and martyrs btw).

At least, now you admit heroes also share similar characteristics, you are putting your generalizations to good use.

June 10, 2010 at 4:25 p.m.
  • Aw, man....now I know what happened.

I went to the store to buy some Karo the other day, and all they had was "Lite" Karo. Never even knew they made such a thing.

True, true story.....I swear.

Now I know where all the Karo went.

Suddenly, I've lost my taste for Karo.....

June 10, 2010 at 4:02 p.m.
  • easy there gyro. comparing this woman to a suicide bomber is way off base.

June 10, 2010 at 3:59 p.m.
  • gyro,

i believe kyle was using a generalization.

he and i tend to be on the opposite ends of the political specturm, but i don't think that he has ever accused me of posting without thinking.

perhaps he should have said, posting before proof-reading. you my friend are as guilty as the day is long, water is wet, night is dark, Karo is sticky.

June 10, 2010 at 3:52 p.m.
  • @gyro "When Kyle used the all inclusive "rest of us" he is declaring that he has the power to know what the "rest of us think""

You seem to have no problem super-sizing your ego to gargantuan proportions when it comes declaring what or how "liberals" (or basically anyone who doesn't support your views) think in your blog and other assorted comments - in fact you've made that your trademark approach.

If it offends you that I plagiarized your style for a moment then I am truly sorry.

;-)

June 10, 2010 at 1:29 p.m.
  • Well - I for one am glad that Diane Wilson is rattling those congressional cages. If we all continue to sit quitely, those out-of-touch folks in Washington as well as the State capitals will continue to make decisions based on special interest and personal gain.
    For example: No matter if it is the right thing to do or not; The reason you all have to wear seat belts is because you all sit and let it happen. The reason motorclist don't have to wear a helmet is because they, as a group, stood up and rattled cages in Austin.
    Instead of roasting Diane Wilson, we should be buying plane tickets to join her. Granted, she can get a bit radical, but she, at least is doing something to try to make change.

June 10, 2010 at 1:23 p.m.

June 10, 2010 at 1:12 p.m.
  • @gyro "That big "rest of us" and "WE" Kyle used there might be challenged by other"rest of us" on here"

That would depend on whether you consider yourself someone who thinks before you post?

;-)

June 10, 2010 at 12:51 p.m.
  • I wold agree with you, Gyro, that when politicians bandy the phrase around willy nilly and offer nothing but sound bites and empty placations without any meaningful substance it sully's what is a serious issue.

However, in essence, it IS a serious issue. As we all know this country consumes a product it cannot produce in the quantities needed in order to meet demand. Eventually, even with heavy investment and even if discovery of reserves are found to meet that consumption and carry us (not to mention the world - China) well into the next century it shouldn't be the priority to invest in a product that will eventually be exhausted or become too cost prohibitive to produce due to dwindling resources. There has to be a transition to alternatives forms of energy not just from an investment and scientific discovery point of view but culturally in terms of how we think about our consumption.

If you go with Websters definition of the word Addiction: " a compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal;".

At this point in history if you take out the drug references it doesn't seem that far fetched a term does it?

June 10, 2010 at 12:50 p.m.
  • @gordongecko " I am disapointed you didnt get in a "i know you are but what am i" remark in there somewhere though"

It is ironic, then that your ineptly authored retort conveys the exact same message.

Making boilerplate statements and hurling accusations that are pure speculation on your part gives you zero credibility and attracts well deserved criticism from the rest of us that think before we post.

June 10, 2010 at 11:45 a.m.
  • Real oil would have made the clean up interesting.

June 10, 2010 at 11:34 a.m.

June 10, 2010 at 11:24 a.m.
  • Diane Wilson is smart and tenacious and I'm glad she does what she does. Problem is, we're all as culpable as BP. Those deep sea wells and shale explorations gratify our desire for big trucks with full tanks of gas and nifty plastic containers for storing our leftovers. I don't know what the answer is, but weaning ourselves from big oil seems a plausible place to start.

June 10, 2010 at 11:21 a.m.
  • @hmmm

What makes her claims unrealistic? She said: "But I really, really believe we have to start getting rid of our addiction to oil"

How many people do you know would disagree with this statement? It's perfectly reasonable in my opinion.

She protested the no vote from Murkowski on a bill that would increase the amount of money BP could be fined. Again, perfectly reasonable in my opinion.

I think your interpretation of the article is more extreme than the reality - "Let's do away with oil & gas" is not the theme I extrapolated from her words and actions.

June 10, 2010 at 11:05 a.m.
  • Seriously, well I am not for the disaster that happened in the Gulf and especially the lives that were lost, God rest their souls and prayers for their families. But how about just being real?

Interesting Diane Willson didn't have a problem flying on a jet that used fuel...hmmm wonder what that fuel was made up of? Shrimp is a favorite food and I thank our Gulf shrimpers and fisherman, but are they willing to row out to sea? I doubt it.

Perhaps Ms. Wilson can start walking since she doesn't want to use the oil and gas anymore. She should make it just fine from D.C. back to Seadrift, might take awhile.

I just wish people would be realistic. Even our president...is flying around in his presidential planes and helicopters. Let's do away with oil & gas? I doubt he will walk or take a horse drawn carriage. How about everyone park the vehicle, turn off the air conditioner, the list goes on and on as to what uses oil and gas have today...REALLY is everyone prepared for that? I doubt it!

June 10, 2010 at 10:35 a.m.
  • I've known Diane for many years and can attest to her high intelligence and her willingness to sacrifice for a cause. She's got the guts to do what's right, and the savvy to get results. Even if she were another Forrest Gump, we'd still love her heart. Run, Diane, run!

It amazes me that this story brought out ad hominem attacks against her when BP and Murkowski's defense of limits to oil spill damage responsibility deserve so little sympathy.

June 10, 2010 at 10:29 a.m.
  • "Is anyone else betting this woman scored about 550 on her SATs? She comes across to me as a joke."

So does your post.

"Someone sends her a one way plane ticket anonymously? My gues is it a big money left wing group or...being as though it said one way..maybe its a citizen of seadrift who wanted to improve the town by getting this whack job out of it."

Where do you live? I'll send you a plane ticket!

"This woman is a member of that code pink group who will basicaly protest anything."

This person is a member of the Don't Think club who will basically post anything.

June 10, 2010 at 9:37 a.m.
  • gordongecko - you make a lot of assumptions in your post.

Such as the one that she took an SAT.

Or that she even got that far in school.....

If you didn't know before, you have had an introduction to one of Seadrift's less "illustrious" personalities.

Welcome to Diane Wilson's world.

June 10, 2010 at 4:48 a.m.
  • Is anyone else betting this woman scored about 550 on her SATs? She comes across to me as a joke. Someone sends her a one way plane ticket anonymously? My gues is it a big money left wing group or...being as though it said one way..maybe its a citizen of seadrift who wanted to improve the town by getting this whack job out of it. This woman is a member of that code pink group who will basicaly protest anything.

June 10, 2010 at 2:25 a.m.
  • Lisa Murkowski could care less that these Brits turned our gulf into something similar to my toilet after my enchilada and margarita Wednesday.

June 9, 2010 at 11:46 p.m.