Comments

• Living in Papua New Guinea, no iPhone app available here. But I did find a workable solution. First, when the match is ready to start, I sign in to FIFA.com and follow the play-by-play and fan chats there. Second, I tune into streaming audio (free) at ABC.net.au. Finally, I open the windows (depending on timing) and listen to the crowd at the bar across the street. It's not exactly like being there, but it is definitely an immersive experience.

July 5, 2010 at 3:58 a.m.
  • unmoored - Glad to help! Hope you are still able to watch the games, big one coming up tomorrow, US vs. Ghana.

June 25, 2010 at 8:39 a.m.
  • Thanks for the soccer-saving tips. In our tiny town Time-Warner Cable dropped ESPN and ESPN2 channels sometime between Tuesday's morning & afternoon games, the day before the U.S. was to play. I can't get this cable yanked out soon enough.

June 25, 2010 at 7:44 a.m.
  • USA and England go through to the next round! USA top of the group! Fantastic games!

June 23, 2010 at 10:57 a.m.
  • Kyle - thanks for the explanation!

June 22, 2010 at 9:40 a.m.
  • holein1 and KyleC...I'm guessing the game was shortened by whomever was telecasting it, ESPN?, because it got out of hand in the second half. I was at the gym for only a little over 45 minutes and the half started shortly after I arrived and ended well before I left. I don't know how someone could go about cutting the boring parts of a soccer game, though. Most of the time, you'd end up with only the commercials.

June 22, 2010 at 8:07 a.m.
  • No "we feel sorry for you rule" unless you bribe the officials. 90 mins is length of the game broken into two halves. Soccer games can sometimes flow well or stagnate like a muddy pool of water and sometimes the half time break can break the stagnation or change the flow dramatically. Truth is that North Korea did not have the stamina to play the long game and looked tired after the first 45min. That and the fact they are not a very skilled team.

I do, however, fear for their safety when they return home to their Dear Leader!

June 21, 2010 at 10:42 p.m.
  • wind- i'm not a soccer whiz, but i've heard that the referee is the only person who knows the actual time. the time you see is a guess. the ref may choose to stop time or not, during penalties etc.

correct me if i'm wrong, please. i don't know for sure.

June 21, 2010 at 8:25 p.m.
  • KyleC...This is off topic, but you seem to be the one to ask. I know nothing about soccer, but I was sort of a captive audience at the gym a little while ago and Portugal and N.Korea were on the TV screen without sound. When I started the bike, it was half-time and Portugal was ahead one-zip. The second half and by the time I hit five miles, it was SEVEN-NOTHIN' and the game was over. There was no way they played a 45 minute half. Does soccer have a "we feel sorry for you" rule wherein they stop the game when it is out of hand? Thanks for any information you have.

June 21, 2010 at 8:13 p.m.
  • Kyle - Will check out the Mobi.tv app. Hear you on the Twitter failing, seems to go down right before each game. When it's online though, I really enjoy following all the tweets related to the World Cup.

scout - Yes! I'm a fan. I've always watched the games on Univision, and most of the time those were live. I know many watch on ESPN, but the announcers on Univision are hilarious. All coverage is in Spanish though, but some things you can understand no matter what the language. You saw Elvis? Was he a big guy? I think I saw him too in the stands.

June 21, 2010 at 5:34 p.m.
  • cj u a soccer fan!! i put the "horn" app on my iphone. Now i hear bee sounds just like the real thing and it drives me nNuUtsS...

but all these stations/sites need to say live if live...i watched one game till I saw the score on the my ph and was empowered to check score before any game now. I know the time zone issue but "live" is "live" or for the unlucky ones seems live.

I have seen elvis in the stands. he is alive.

June 21, 2010 at 4:16 p.m.
  • Great article CJ! I have the ESPN iphone app with the live streaming commentary and stats. Works great for me. In addition I hear that the recent Twitter "Fail Whale" extraganza has been due to the immense support of the World Cup - i certainly get a lot of my soccer fix from social networking sites.

I also have the Mobi.tv iphone app which (for a fee) allows you to stream live video from ESPN and ABC of the soccer games but it only really works on WiFi and 3G

June 21, 2010 at 4:07 p.m.