Comments

• That's a pretty risky idea as he might have had a gun hidden or other type of arms. The best action is to give him what he wants and try to stall a little to buy time for law enforcement to arrive.

It would be a sad day if someone get hurt or worse just because no gun was SEEN.

Maybe a better idea would be to go back to the old days where every one carried guns in the open. Then do as they did then and string them up no jail time for the criminals.

June 22, 2010 at 3:54 a.m.
  • gimmeabreak...I don't know. It would sorta depend on exactly what he said to the teller. Mind you, I'm not saying nothing illegal happened, i'm just wondering if it was a robbery or some other version of theft. There don't seem to be any aggrevating circumstances; no threat seems to have been reported and the lack of a weapon leads me to think this was an awfully gentle thief.

Tell you what, come Monday I'll ask a couple of tellers at the bank where I work about it. (I work in a part of the bank that NEVER sees a customer). I know that tellers are instructed to never resist, but I'd think that in the absense of any sort of weapon and no threat, perhaps a NO would suffice to send him elsewhere.

June 19, 2010 at 1:26 p.m.
  • waywardwind...
    You make a good point, but the way Subsection (2) of Texas Penal Code Section 29.02 (Robbery) reads is "intentionally or knowingly threatens or places another in fear of imminent bodily injury or death." If the teller stated that she was in fear of imminent injury or death if she did not comply with the suspect's demand for money, the elements of Robbery are satisfied and that is the proper charge. I think it's reasonable to believe that most tellers presented with that scenario would be in fear of imminent bodily injury at a minimum. Agree?

June 19, 2010 at 12:52 p.m.
  • From the story..."The man did not claim to be armed during the robbery and witnesses said he was not carrying a weapon."

If all he said was "give me your money" and he didn't make a threat or display a weapon, are we even sure this is a robbery?

Cite This Source

Legal Dictionary

Main Entry: rob·bery
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form: plural -ber·ies
    Etymology: Anglo-French robberie roberie , from Old French, from rober to take something away from a person by force
    : the unlawful taking away of personal property from a person by violence or by threat of violence that causes fear : larceny from the person or immediate presence of another by violence or threat of violence and with intent to steal

Absent a weapon or use of or threat of force, it doesn't sound like robbery to me.

June 19, 2010 at 11:57 a.m.
    ******************
    It probably means that they have identified one of the fifteen or twenty aliases he uses.

June 19, 2010 at 8:49 a.m.
  • DBE wrote:
    Permalink Are you kidding me!? So is it getting that easy that a person can go into a bank unarmed.....and demand money.....and they'll give it to him. Come on!!! I seen ppl at convient stores put up more of a fight at night by themselves. This was during the day, in a very populated area. Its getting too easy. 1st it was Victoria, now PL. How bout a security at the doors? What ever happened to that?
    *********************
    DBE: He better not try to pull this routine at Sam's; they'll nail him at the door for sure! lol

June 19, 2010 at 8:46 a.m.
  • So, post in the newspaper that the suspect has been identified. Give him plenty of time to run or return to Mexico if illegal. Hope I'm missing something here.

June 19, 2010 at 8:44 a.m.
  • Are you kidding me!? So is it getting that easy that a person can go into a bank unarmed.....and demand money.....and they'll give it to him. Come on!!! I seen ppl at convient stores put up more of a fight at night by themselves. This was during the day, in a very populated area. Its getting too easy. 1st it was Victoria, now PL. How bout a security at the doors? What ever happened to that?

June 19, 2010 at 3:12 a.m.
  • HUH?

June 19, 2010 at 12:24 a.m.
  • I would say he is in custody right now, but that could be speculative. They are trying to secure an arrest warrant for the suspect.

June 18, 2010 at 7:59 p.m.
  • Located but no arrest? Does that mean there is a stand off in progress? Has he surrendered to authorities but no official arrest? ????????????

June 18, 2010 at 7:32 p.m.