Comments

• "making people from the southside travel to the northside".....let me clarify as I think you are confused....travel from the southside of Victoria to the northside of Victoria...not the United States or even Texas! It's what...15 minutes in traffic??? OMG...stop feeding the monster........

June 25, 2010 at 8:44 p.m.
  • "Rocktoria"???? You've GOT to be kidding me!! I'm embarrassed for you!

June 25, 2010 at 8:41 p.m.
  • For ease of access, parking and viewing, Victoria Mall just makes sense! Admit it. (...besides, from where I live in Mission Valley I'll actually be able to see them from my house...) :-D

June 25, 2010 at 4:53 p.m.
  • An evening on hot hard concrete sounds great!

June 25, 2010 at 3:30 p.m.

June 25, 2010 at 1:51 p.m.

June 25, 2010 at 12:38 p.m.
  • Way to break 'em off a piece KitKat.

You're right. All of those homes on the Northside have too many trees to watch the fireworks from their yards.

Victoria hates tradition, plain and simple. Change isn't about doing things better, it's about doing it differently just to piss people off. Traditions suck. Just ask any alum of VHS.

June 25, 2010 at 12:07 p.m.
  • To address the traffic issue... most of us who live here in Victoria have chosen continue living here because we do not want to live in overly populated areas such as Houston, so when traffic becomes a problem, yeah, we're not happy about it and have every right to complain.
    For those who think Victoria is "bumpkin" and don't like our events, then either don't go to them or go somewhere else for an event.
    As for me being upset about the locale move of the fireworks display, it's because it has always been tradition for us to have outdoor activities and then watch the display from my mom's front yard. It just seems like Victoria is changing so many traditions around town.
    For instance, I remember when the LiveStock parade was always the 1st Saturday in March, now it's in February.
    Cinco De Mayo celebration was always at DeLeon Plaza, now it's at the park.
    The Christmas parade was always downtown, now it's not.
    I would hate to mention any other traditions for fear that the city might say, "hmm, let's change that one too!"
    There's still plenty of undeveloped land around the community center that they could still have the event over there. I think the real reason for the move is to have local vendors come out and be charged for vending. At the community center, so many people watch from their homes and homes of friends that not as many buy into the vendors. At the mall, there are too many trees for the people to watch from home, so they have no choice but to go to the mall.
    So once again, the City's decision to change is all about money. Isn't it usually?

June 25, 2010 at 11:46 a.m.
  • Rhythm of the Commode... more like it! No way they put Victoria on the map! I almost fell out of my chair on that note LOL

I wonder if the fireworks will stir up any chupacabras in those fields or disturb any of the illegals/homeless living back there?

However, I think it is a good move. The community center needs to be redone on the North side of town as well!

June 25, 2010 at 11:37 a.m.
  • Bring on Rhythm of the Road. Those guys put Rocktoria on the map!!!

Maybe the owners of the land are behind the move. If there is a wildfire then they wouldn't have to pay for clearing the land for development. Just another example of the us vs. them, elite power structure, step on the little guy mentality of Victoria. And don't forget that the people from the Southside are going to have to travel to the Northside. Just another way of making them spend money they don't have. Just part of the master plan to keep the poor, poor and the rich, rich.

June 25, 2010 at 11:27 a.m.
  • Oh, c'mon people!!! Is moving a three hour event to the mall area that big of a deal? I lived in Houston for 27 years, and in that time I watched 4th of July fireworks at Sharpstown, Town and Country, and Woodlands Malls, which are all smack dab in the middle of densely populated areas. And if anyone in Victoria thinks that "traffic" is horrendous after events like fireworks in Victoria, then they should try attending any kind of free public event Houston to appreciate how bumpkin Victoria is. Too bad Hartman Distributing is footing the bill for the Honeybrowne. I watched those jokers put a lively crowd to sleep in Rockport, and Rhythm of the Road will bore us all with their pre-recorded mimed / faked performance.

June 25, 2010 at 10:24 a.m.
  • I LOVE IT!! WE CAN HAVE A BAR-B-QUE, GATHER AROUND AND WATCH FROM OUR BACK YARD AND NOT SPEND ANY MONEY ON GAS!! YEA!!

June 25, 2010 at 10:22 a.m.
  • This does not make sense at all but then again I'm not surprised. Protect our little league complex? At least you have just that small area to worry about but at the mall area you have a widespread area! How will the firefighters get to the areas behind the park and Home Depot??? There are no roads back there. The other thing is traffic. During the morning, lunch and afternoon "rush hour" traffic is horrendous in that part of town! Sometimes I have to sit thru 3 red lights just to get to the "north side" of the loop and back. At least at the Community Center area you had several ways to leave. At the mall you just have a couple of options. Navarro and 463 and Stockbauer and 463. What a mess it will be. This is why Victoria should open up a new road behind the mall. Thank goodness I'll be spending my money and time in Florida for the Fourth of July!! Once again a poor decision made by our local city officials!!!

June 25, 2010 at 9:55 a.m.
  • If you don't like it, then don't go! There is just as great of fire danger at the community center as at the mall. Probably more, due to the age and condition of most of the surroundings by the community center. When there isn't a fireworks show, people whine; when there is one, guess what, the SAME people whine.

June 25, 2010 at 9:32 a.m.
  • We will get our firework fix at POC on the 3rd. Sounds like we might be able to see the fireworks from our house this year. We will drag blankets and laptops to the flat part of our roof.

June 25, 2010 at 9:17 a.m.
  • the old folks enjoy all the activities that young folks do!

June 25, 2010 at 9 a.m.
  • ain't nobody happy no matter what! the city is damned if they do and damned if they don't!

June 25, 2010 at 8:58 a.m.
  • Good points EdithAnn!!

June 25, 2010 at 8:37 a.m.
  • quete--

I hope the whole area does not catch on fire! There is a huge neighborhood, Park Stone, and two large facilities for the elderly, Hearthstone and Copperfield Village, not to mention a large apartment complex across the street. All of this is surrounded by brushy woods. If a fire were to start, it would be terrible.

I'm more worried about the old folks and the noise from the fireworks mortars--maybe EMS ought to be on standby out in front of the facilities.

By the way, who's cleaning up the Mall parking lot come Monday morning?

June 25, 2010 at 8:26 a.m.
  • What idiot thought of this stupid idea....I hope the whole area catches fire.....the Community Center is the best place to have it, it's probably a few cry babies that don't want to go to the south side of town....let's have it up north, they cry and it happens....I'm not wasting my time on this event, I'm taking my money and family to Port O'Connor for a better time......Victoria you screwed up again.

June 25, 2010 at 8:08 a.m.
  • protect the sports complex? C'mon they the fields probably want attention...what else does it get used for? LL and softball season games and that is it!!!!!

Its been a wetter spring so it should be safer to pop fireworks but around the Mall and other commercial bldgs not to mention numerous houses. BAD IDEA---I'll keep my scanner on.

June 25, 2010 at 7:15 a.m.
  • Now I can watch the show from my own front porch! Yeah!

June 25, 2010 at 6:16 a.m.