Comments

• Obviously, I am Hispanic also
    Boycott of white owned business's?
    I wish you would see my monthly credit card statement!

December 23, 2010 at 7:56 a.m.
  • I heard, there was a rumor…about a rumor?

June 28, 2010 at 8:04 a.m.

June 28, 2010 at 8:02 a.m.
  • lol! I still can't believe some people still believe Obama isn't a US citizen. They probably think he's muslim too.

Some people need their computers confiscated.

June 28, 2010 at 7:31 a.m.

June 27, 2010 at 10:20 p.m.
  • @Sugar "I would appreciate more REAL in-depth, intelligent, formal news reporting in the Advocate. I'm sorry to say this, Chris, but the VicAd has read like a high-school newspaper for so long, I'm at my wit's end trying to convey this to you. I don't know how else to say it."

I'm not sure if it still holds true but I believe it used to be that newspapers wrote to a 6th-8th Grade level of reading comprehension.

June 27, 2010 at 8:56 p.m.
  • JackDeuce said “I have never been in a city where the media is so afraid of losing advertisers and supporters that they will not cover a topic in-depth.”

I think one of the nice things about having a locally owned newspaper rather than one owned by some big media machine is that we can ring them up with a question or a comment, and most of the time, get very good personal service.

I think one of the bad things about having a locally owned newspaper, in a town this size, is that the friendships can kind of get in the way of hard news reporting. Yes, I do think there is an effort not to offend ‘the friends’ who are often the advertisers.

June 27, 2010 at 7:56 p.m.
  • Obama is the president what proof do you need?

June 27, 2010 at 7:52 p.m.
  • muleman,

Sorry, he has proven it. The state of Hawaii has proven it. And that is no rumor.

June 27, 2010 at 7:44 p.m.
  • Obama still hasn't proved he a citizen of USA. And thats no rumor!

June 27, 2010 at 7:16 p.m.
  • I heard a rumor that Justin Beiber is actually a woman. Yeah, I don't believe that either.

June 27, 2010 at 5:59 p.m.
  • Good lord, is that old chestnut still going around? Well, of course it is, after all...it's on the internet and nothing that gets on the internet ever goes off the internet.

If you want something meatier and truly newsworthy to investigate try this on for size. Why was the car dealership located on the east side of Navarro between Mockingbird and Morningside allowed to build up and pave higher than the surrounding streets and adjacent backyards?

When it rains, Lilac Lane backyards are lakes. With persistent rain they are bogs that never seem to dry out. I know, I live there. That last deluge we had, where 75 percent of Victoria streets flooded caused rising water to enter my garage and very nearly wash in through the front door. My renters insurance does not cover rising water. I would need to invest in Flood Insurance for that.

I have been told by long-time residents of Primrose Addition that this was not the case before the car dealership paved its property. So which mental giant at city hall allowed them to do what they did? Look into that why don't you.

Oh, I hear Bill Gates is giving away money if you pass on a certain email....aw, forget it...that's just a rumor anyway.

June 27, 2010 at 1:14 p.m.
  • Alvarez & Vivian, you two need to get a grip...

This was a joke when it circulated years ago.. my goodness, anyone could figure that out..

Oh, wait a minute, it did not fit with your & Semenza's race baiting agenda did it...

Do not attempt start this kind of racial turmoil in our community! We have been doing pretty well for a long time until you guys showed up with your liberal agenda.

Thirdcoast

June 27, 2010 at 1:07 p.m.
  • Thank you for your reply, Chris. While I agree with some things in your post, I will also say that JackDeuce has some good points as well. And, JackDeuce, I am not talking about "rehashes" of AP news, because that is all that the VicAd is doing anyway. I am talking about, as are you, REAL investigative journalism, with actual background study of a subject, and a real journalistic effort to get to the how, when, why of a topic of interest, be it local, national, or world rather than just regurgitating AP releases.

If the VicAd wants to concentrate on local issues, that is their prerogative. I have argued with them on this point for a long time, and they will do what they want. That is fine. Put local news on the front page. But JackDeuce offers better examples than I could concerning in-depth coverage of topics that need to be explored, rather than even giving internet rumors the light of day in a paper which many pay to read. Such topics, whether or not you have received letters about, just don't deserve even a moment's credence in a serious journalistic publication. Of course, this is just one subscriber's opinion; I don't pretend to speak for everyone.

You should try, just for one week, writing UP to your readers' level of intelligence, not DOWN to them. Don't be afraid; we can handle it. Of that I am sure. Don't insult your readers' intelligence.

June 27, 2010 at 12:47 p.m.
  • Sugar,
    Thanks for the opportunity to plug our Hurricane Central during this hurricane season:
    We'll be promoting the coverage more as the season heats up. Reporter David Tewes has been blogging about the storm regularly this weekend, and we published a wire story about it on the front page Sunday.
    Thankfully, the storm appears not be a serious threat, although that could change.
    As for our focus on local news, we make no apologies for that.
    In terms of this story, we've received regular e-mails from all of the country about this ridiculous rumor for years. Finally, we decided we should do a full story on this rather than respond individually to all of the messages. An editorial on the subject complemented the news story in Sunday's edition.
    In terms of other "scandals" out there, we'll take them on as they come. Of course, those scandals have to be proven more than this rumor.
    Chris

June 27, 2010 at 11:48 a.m.
  • This is a deflection article that will be used as an excuse down the road to explain why new business & tourists have not flocked to Victoria.

June 27, 2010 at 10:44 a.m.
  • Sugar,

I think folks have gotten spoiled to the notion of a 'watchdog' feature being like Marvin Zindler, or the guy over at KENS in San Antonio. You know, uncovering graft and corruption, fighting for those without a voice, getting the truth when there seems to be two clear sides. Real investigative reporting.

I personally think there have been plenty of 'suggestions' tossed about on this forum to spark some investigative reporting, but they're either being missed, or else the watchdog is not so serious about being a watchdog.

June 27, 2010 at 10:32 a.m.
  • I give up.

Chris and Gabe, this is directed TO YOU SPECIFICALLY - So READ AND ANSWER, please. I will call you out on the tiles on this one because, as a subscriber, and yes, reader, I must wonder EXACTLY what you consider news these days. WHY is this even given a second of your time?

If this is the type of trash the "watchdog" is on the "trail" of, then all I can say is, "thank goodness it's a slow news day"....

Oh, wait, but it's not. There is a possible storm a'brewin' out in the Carribbean, whose impact is quite uncertain because of the MOST MASSIVE oil spill in history, which, by the way, is still gushing.

There is political strife at this very moment in Bangladesh. There was an arrest of, count 'em, more than 400 protesters at the economic summit in Toronto. And speaking of the summit, police arrested the driver of a vehicle carrying a huge stash of probable weapons and/or explosives near the summit. Just today, Guinea has held its FIRST free election.

And that's just the beginning of the true "news of the day". I am sure there is even local news that is more important than internet rumors that could be placed on the front page, since that is what you insist on having on the front page, rather than world and national news......

So how about it? I think you owe your readers an explanation of who decided that this was important enough to waste time and ink on and why? I am sure I won't be the only subscriber waiting...

June 27, 2010 at 10:19 a.m.
  • Mr. Semenza,
    I have admired your excellent writing in the past. I can not believe that you 'assigned' this topic to yourself, for the Sunday front page, no less.

This "joke" (if you call it such) has been around and around, for years and years, with numerous cities, and numerous ethnic groups as the subject. Why pick now, if ever, to give it such publicity? I'm sure Mr. Vivian and Mr. Alvarez have better things to do besides commenting on this nonsense.

If you picked this subject ... you are wasting your talent. If someone else picked it ... why don't you write an article about why they did such a thing?

June 27, 2010 at 9:17 a.m.
  • I heard a rumor (Yes, I pass them along!) that the Victoria Public Works Department was going to begin using chalk instead of permanent paint for their graffiti, but I don't believe that either.

June 27, 2010 at 9:04 a.m.
  • Old news...........however, it is sometimes overlooked that boycotts can work in both directions and mostly harm those who participate in them.

June 27, 2010 at 9 a.m.
  • You've got to be kidding. Surely no one took that e-mail seriously. First it has been going around the e-mail joke circuit for years with the name of the town changing multiple times and secondly, it is obviously a joke....not a very good joke but a joke nonetheless. Lord....don't you guys have anything better to report than this? And anyone who is seriously concerned that this is going to hurt business is at the best naive and at the worst not the brightest crayon in the box.

June 27, 2010 at 8:53 a.m.
  • I have seen this email (with copy of newspaper clipping) several times over the past few years. I never gave it a second thought, because I knew it was not true.

June 27, 2010 at 2:55 a.m.
  • this town is just simmering with behind the back racism and hate

June 27, 2010 at 1:18 a.m.
  • Like EdithAnn noted, this is VERY OLD news -- make that an old "rumor" -- and really doesn't warrant multiple articles.

City leaders have plenty other wrinkles to iron out and shouldn't waste any precious time on internet garbage, which few in-the-know ever pay attention to anyway.

June 27, 2010 at 1:18 a.m.
  • Republicans are so consumed with hate these type of incendiary tools to foster divisiveness will only get worse.

June 27, 2010 at 12:13 a.m.
  • There is no way on Earth I could boycott Snapple, Church's Chicken maybe, but not Snapple

There's nothing like a thirst quenching beverage lovingly imported from the friendly Teahadists of Tora Bora

June 26, 2010 at 11:27 p.m.
  • "I saw this in the Victoria Advocate, so it must be true..."
    Edith, this sounds like an ugly rumor.

June 26, 2010 at 11:14 p.m.
  • This email has been circulating for several years now. Is this really going to hurt Victoria? Really? I don't think so. The majority of THINKING folks are going to pay it no mind, knowing it is false, and the leftover handful? Well, either way, I don't think it is enough to make a difference.

This is the second mention of this in almost as many days. Perhaps the Advocate could quit publicizing it. Even with the correct info attached to the story, folks are now going to add, "I saw this in the Victoria Advocate, so it must be true..."

June 26, 2010 at 10:31 p.m.