Comments

• it was probably all those illegal aliens voting!

March 8, 2010 at 3:39 p.m.
  • What I find amazing, i eny time someone uses the word hispanic or african american, black or any other description of someone non-anglo it is suddenly a racist comment - what about all the comments made about anglo people....are we ever going to get to a point where the color of skin does not count? Sometimes I think it does not count except for when it is beneficial to use the race card.

March 8, 2010 at 1:07 p.m.
  • Get a sense of humor people!!!! Geez, Mr. Huvar could say the sky is blue and there would be people claiming racism. Crack the face, make a few jokes and move on. It is only racist if you make it that way. Bye Mr. Huvar you and your frogs will be missed!!!

March 4, 2010 at 6:32 p.m.
  • It's kinda hard to see how you can say Mr.Huvars comment shouldnt have been made public but then voice your opinion.How would you have known?
    I can tell you this I don't care who he is or how long he has been there a racial comment is grounds for immediate termination!

March 4, 2010 at 6:26 p.m.
  • Residents of Victoria AGAIN Congratulations. Once the residents get to know the Roberto Cortez that mentored me in the early 90s you will all admire him as much as I do and the people that he has touch, unfortunately...they might not have kept up with Roberto like I do.

Roberto is an All American Success Story,
    Veteran of the US Armed Forces,
    20 plus year Career US Government Professional
    Family Man
    Role Model
    A gentleman that can succeed anywhere...yet...decided to go back to his roots in south Texas.

Knowing Roberto he will quantum leap that office, and provide the leadership, integrity, and results that victoria has never seen or at least in the last 55 years. I assure you, I am not inventing or exagerating.

Victoria as well as victory this is so sweet.

Sam Rodriguez

PS Enjoy Roberto, he's one of the best friends neighbors, bosses you'll ever meet, and send him my regards from Washington, DC

March 4, 2010 at 3:40 p.m.
  • To cantu0407, Obviously you were one of the few hispanics that Mr. Huvar liked. And as far as the treatment of his employees. The old man screamed, yelled and cussed at the majority of the clerks. I don't know what customers you talked to but the ones I dealt with would cringe when they heard Mr. Huvar yelling and they just wanted to get what they came for and get the heck out of the office. Many asked me if he yelled like that all the time. I cannot believe that he changed the way he treated employees and customers from the time you worked for him and I worked for him. Like they say, an old leopard never change his spots. I wish Mr. Huvar no ill will, but I do know that it is time that he move on. I know he had lots of knowledge and helped many people during his years in office - but that was his job, he didn't do from the kindness of his heart or with a smile. He earned a paycheck and had good benefits. Had anyone else did the things I saw him do and say, they would have been taken out of office, but because of people like you, he was able to continue belittle and the mistreatment of employees and making negative comments about customers at the counter.
    I'm just happy to know that no one else who works for the county clerks office will ever have to go through what so many clerks have had to suffer through while working for the "infamous" Mr. Huvar.
    You were one of the lucky ones.

March 4, 2010 at 1:16 p.m.
  • In response to all the comments, I can personally speak from experience. I have spent some time in that office and have heard Mr. Huvar make racial comments many, many times. Him making that comment had nothing to do with the race of the voters that came out, but a word he uses regularly and negatively in the office. People have excused his actions and remarks for many years because of his age and upbringing but that is no excuse. No matter our age, we all know in our hearts if a remark we are going to make is wrong or right and his remark was clearly wrong. If a hispanic or african american had made that remark about anglos coming out to vote, I can guarantee you there would have been a hanging.

I'm pretty sure most of you that are making all these comments have not personally experienced situations with Mr. Huvar but I have. I have witnessed the mistreatment of employees and customers. I won't go into details because it won't get published and I have more character than that but I will tell you that it was more than time for change and a new county clerk. We have long needed someone in that office that will treat his employees and customers with respect and kindness.

That office has long needed to be upgraded with the latest technology so that customers have better access to the records that are stored in that office. I know he has a budget but that office has to eventually be upgraded for the betterment of the county and customers. You CANNOT live in the stone age forever.

For those of you that don't know what goes on in that office, the deputy clerks do all the work without any recognition or appreciation. They work from 8:00 to 5:00 and not 9:00 to 2:00. They have a huge responsibility of keeping up with all the new laws,codes and records but do not get paid enough for all their knowledge and hard work. You don't see any of them driving a brand new cadillac either.

Mr. Huvar should have respectfully accepted defeat and congratulated Mr. Cortez. Mr. Huvar served a position that should have been held with honor and respect for all races but he showed very poor judgment and character with his comment. He should have set a good example to all the county. Now he needs to go home to enjoy family, friends and grandkids. And for all you people who keep making all the negative or positive comments about the frogs in his office, they have nothing to do with his comments.

I'd like to congratulate Mr. Cortez and wish him well. He has a long road ahead of him and with the support of the county clerk employees and customers I have faith that he is going to do an outstanding job.

By the way readers, I am not hispanic or african american, I am anglo and so happy that we have a new County Clerk.

March 4, 2010 at 12:43 p.m.
  • Having worked for the County Clerk's office myself for 3 1/2 years, Mr. Huvar is a very hard working man, who spent his entire work day, making sure that office was run smoothly and properly. I certainly hope that Mr. Cortez knows exactly what being County Clerk entails and all the legality that comes with it. Because there are laws, rules and procedures to follow, as there is anywhere. I would also like to point out, that in my time employed with the Victoria County Clerk's office, 95% of our customers left pleased with our customer service, and most of the day to day landmen that entered told us repeatedly that our office was one of the best County Clerk's offices they had ever been too. It was organized, easy for them to research and a pleasant environment for them to come in to, when other offices aren't so friendly. In my experience, the other 5% wanted us to do something that simply was not possible within the law, or didn't want to pay for the services we provided. (Know don't take my percentages literally, its just an estimate.) As the public should not take Mr. Huvar's comments to be racial. Mr. Huvar comes from a time way before ours, his chose of words may have been poor, but anyone who knows him knows he is far from a racist. I am a hispanic and I can honestly say that knowing Mr. Huvar, I am certain he didn't intend to come off as a racist. I am proud to be able to say that i worked for such a hard working man, and wonderful teacher. He not only worked to make sure he knew the proper way to run that office, but that all his employees learned the proper way as well.

March 4, 2010 at 11:52 a.m.
  • It was wrong then and it is wrong now PERIOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 4, 2010 at 1:47 a.m.
  • I can't believe you people! The man is 90, served in this position for 55 years & was running for reelection...he must've loved the job since he didn't retire several decades ago. How many of you people would still get up & go to work everyday at that age? That is dedication, IMO. I applaud & thank Val Huvar for his many decades/more than 1/2 century of service.

Thumbs down to the ViCad for printing the comment...poor taste & disrespectful to both men.

I wish all the best to Mr. Cortez in his new endeavor. I hope he is able to see his vision come to fruition, if not his carcass will be picked clean by you jackals. I will keep my fingers crossed for his success.

As far as Justamoms comment goes....did you all not see the smiley face? I can read sarcasm...how bout y'all? Guess the boulders on y'alls shoulders distracts you from nuance. Get a grip people!

Peace out!

March 3, 2010 at 10:23 p.m.
  • I hope Texas Monthly doesn’t award him a Bum Steer Award.

March 3, 2010 at 8:50 p.m.
  • "A lot of those frogs in his office were given to him as gifts for helping people out. So what if he or anyone else, for that matter, collects & displays ones gifts. Remember you people complaining about it, probably voted for him at one time or another, or he would not had been in for this long. AND you had to VOTE him in. All these comments that it is about time for him to go- how many times has he helped you? If you think Mr. Cortez will be able to keep his promises- you have another thing coming.There is a budget, commissioners court, judges & State of Texas that govern this office. Big whoop pay by credit card. that has nothing to do with running an office & i bet you that most people would not give the State of Texas their number. He is not a racist, his head Secretary for years & years was Hispanics & after she retired was a black secretary till she retired. He thought the world of both. Mr. Huvar has fought for every update that has occured in that office. He has fought to make those changes one battle at a time. It's about time to stop the complaining about the petty things and learn more about government. God bless all those frogs!!!!! And you people that did not get to meet a great man. "

March 3, 2010 at 8:29 p.m.
  • Reading most of your comments here shows me ignorance must be bliss. I don't know how a comment can be misconstrued as a racist remark towards hispanics. Well they did come out and voted right......... how can that be a racist comment? So did a lot of other people. It doesn't mean anything everyone is making mountains over mole hills. I've know Mr Huvar for over 30 years and I'm proud to call him family(my grandfather). I admire him for his dedication to his work with the county. Mr. Cortez does have his work cut out for him and has made promises that i hope he can keep without bring our taxes up(the money has to come from somewhere folks). Don't make this an age thing,Don't misconstrue a comment that was taken out of context that was only used to start a mindless debate with ignorance. He did thank voters coming out but of course that wasn't in ""marks. Instead why not be thankful to the man for showing such dedication for over 55 years service. and get on with your lives. its not like My grandfather lost by a large vote either. It was pretty close.

March 3, 2010 at 7:09 p.m.
  • Agreed. Well said Roberttx.

March 3, 2010 at 5:54 p.m.
  • thumbs up to 'Justathought's thread. Well said.

March 3, 2010 at 5:51 p.m.
  • just because someone grew up in a time when certain views / actions were acceptable, sure the h**l doesn't mean the public should just turn their cheek.

March 3, 2010 at 5:44 p.m.
  • Just want to congratulate Mr. Robert Cortez. This is a really hot topic. Everyone has their own perspective of what Mr. Huvar said about hispanics voting. I am hispanic and it didn't bother me about the "hispanic comment" and I voted for Mr. Cortez. I hope Mr. Cortez does a great job in this position. People posting nonsense comments on here need to grow up. Mr. Huvar grew up in a different time period so he said something and VicAd printed it. I'm sure if Mr. Huvar was asked the same question he would say the samething.

March 3, 2010 at 5:28 p.m.
  • justathought , the best comment on this thread, I agree.

March 3, 2010 at 5:26 p.m.
  • Congratulations Robert! You ran a respectful campaign and were chosen because of your qualifications and your promise of service and innovation.

I am happy the advocate was quick to report this, as it is indeed a tremendous accomplishment; having unseated an incumbent with so many years in office. I would also like to congratulate Mr. Huvar on his longevity (also a remarkable accomplishment) and thank him for his many years of service; as any employer would thank a long-time employee (after all, it is a paying job).

I am also happy that the advocate chose to include Mr. Huvar’s comments. I do not know Mr. Huvar personally, so I cannot speak as to whether his comments were racially motivated. However, at the very least, I would say that his comments not only demonstrated poor judgment but were also disrespectful to his opponent (assuming the only reason Robert won was because Hispanics voted for him); disrespectful to the people of Victoria (especially any non-Hispanics that voted for Robert or Hispanics that voted for Huvar); and disrespectful to his position as an elected official. It’s this last fact that is the most important and what the focus of everyone’s concern should be; the fact that he was an elected official. Now, given that Mr. Huvar is a ninety year old man from South Texas, I cannot say that I am surprised by his comments nor can I really be mad at him (even though I am Hispanic). However as a citizen of Victoria County, I am disturbed by his comments. The county clerk is chosen to serve the needs of the ENTIRE community. Unfortunately, I doubt Mr. Huvar was capable of that ideal based on his comments.

In the end, I feel the best candidate won (as did our community) and I wish Robert much success in his new role as county clerk.

March 3, 2010 at 5:07 p.m.
  • Victoria TX: "Where past and present are perfect neighbors"

March 3, 2010 at 4:38 p.m.
  • Ok, I will post again and play your game.

Re-read all of my posts. I told Mr. Huvar thank you in every one, except when I questioned the VicAd for posting the comment. THEN you started arguing. So yes, I can look in the mirror and rightfully say you are starting arguments just to do it. It's ok to not like yourself. I don't like you either. As you were.

March 3, 2010 at 3:32 p.m.
  • itallfunny.

Me starting arguments, well I didn't made a stupid comment nor defend them like you, justamom and others are have been doing. Look in the mirror before accusing me of something.

March 3, 2010 at 3:20 p.m.
  • I never said he should of said it mainly because people would take it wrong. I put better off without em because if people want to leave, then let them. I don't beg people to stay or want them to stay if they don't want to. I am done with this article because there are people like you that want to intentionally take everything the wrong way and start arguments.

Thank you Mr. Huvar for the years you have given Victoria County.

March 3, 2010 at 2:56 p.m.
  • itallfunny.

Why didn't you say it was wrong at first, instead of defending that statement?

March 3, 2010 at 2:50 p.m.
  • And yes GOP, everything is funny. Downright hilarious at times. I am fine with Mr. Cortez winning, I even voted for him, BUT I still respect a man who will stay in his position for 55 years and still loves his job. He deserves applause on his way out for his dedication just like anyone else would. That is the only issue I have with this whole thread. He said something wrong, let it go. But quit attacking a 90 year old man who just lost a job he loved.

March 3, 2010 at 2:45 p.m.
  • itsallfunny.

Your statement proves everything, I need to know about you. Mainly your "Better off without em".

March 3, 2010 at 2:41 p.m.
  • No, I am blaming the VicAd for calling a 90 year old man at home after he lost an election he's won for 55 years and then putting in that comment knowing that people will take it the wrong way. He is telling the truth either way you look at it, but people want to call it racist. Fine let them. And as for the "groups" leaving. Let em. Better off without em.

March 3, 2010 at 2:38 p.m.
  • that's our newspaper always putting the hispanics and blacks down. and your right they had a choice to print that comment and they did.......

March 3, 2010 at 2:27 p.m.
  • itsallfunny:
    But its all funny

March 3, 2010 at 2:24 p.m.
  • itallfunny.

You are blaming VICAD for reporting a statement made by the candidate. Who is to blame? You rather blame the raped because she told the police about the rapist.

This is the same My way or hi-way mentiality, people have been talking about. This is why certain groups are leaving the area.

March 3, 2010 at 2:24 p.m.
  • VicAd - You started this. Close down the ability to comment on this article. You are only letting people talk the usual race talk and being rude about a man you should be honoring as well for his dedication to the community.

March 3, 2010 at 2:20 p.m.
  • GOP Love CHild.

AMEN

March 3, 2010 at 2:11 p.m.
  • "now he can go home and play with his little froggies"
    I didnt know who the Huvar was until i read that. He's going tobe packing for a long time. I had always seen all of those frogs in the office when I get marriage licenses.

March 3, 2010 at 2:09 p.m.
  • 54 vote margin? no recount? sounds like throwing in the towel. after 55 years I'm not sure I can blame a person.

March 3, 2010 at 2:08 p.m.
  • cynicista08.

I beg to differ. I want just mom’s comment to remain. This is proof of the problems in the crossroads area. I would go back research her past comments but I do not want to waste your time and mine.

Sunlight is the best cure for her disease.

March 3, 2010 at 2:07 p.m.

March 3, 2010 at 2:06 p.m.
  • Admit it, White folks elected Mr. Cortez

March 3, 2010 at 2:03 p.m.
  • Congratulations to Mr. Cortez!
    This a man that will uphold and even set new standards to this position. There isnt a doubt in my mind that he can bring about new changes, successfully through his hard-work and good ethics.
    Best of luck to him in this new endeavor.

JustaMom- Your comments should be deleted. Highly educated people tend to be more open-minded to change and diversity, it's those small minded and insecure (uneducated) that make attacks. Your "illegal" comment is purely unnecessary.

Who wants to bet 'justamom' didnt even vote!? LOL

March 3, 2010 at 2:01 p.m.
  • Justamom.

If that was true in this case, then how come John McCain won 67% in Victoria County over Barack Obama?

March 3, 2010 at 2:01 p.m.

March 3, 2010 at 1:58 p.m.
  • VAB.

Before you play victim and proclaim I am disrepsecting you. No, defending and suggesting to cover up a racist statement is offensive and disrepectful.

March 3, 2010 at 1:58 p.m.

March 3, 2010 at 1:55 p.m.
  • VAB.

Opinion? No it is a FACT. A fact and an opinion are two different things.

March 3, 2010 at 1:53 p.m.
  • MY COMMENT DOES NOT MAKE ME NAIVE NOR IGNORANT! THAT IS YOUR OPINION "WRITEIN" I KNOW EXACTLY HOW IT REALLY IS. "REBBECAKERTH" I TOO WORKED WITH MR. CORTEZ AT UHV AND KNOW HE WILL DO WELL AS COUNTY CLERK. I BELIEVE THE WAY I DO AND THAT WAS MY COMMENT. I MUST HAVE HIT A NERVE BECAUSE THE TRUTH IS THE TRUTH. I AM NOT HERE TO DISRESPECT ANYONE AND I DO NOT APPRECIATE BEING DISRESPECTED. EVERYONE HAS THEIR BELIEFS AND OPINIONS AND I STATED MINE. CONGRATS VA! YOU GOT WHAT YOU WANTED!

March 3, 2010 at 1:48 p.m.
  • Justamom.

You said "Writein, no one listened when you were under all the other alias' no one cares now."

Then how come you are posting to me????

March 3, 2010 at 1:42 p.m.
  • Ha, it is so easy to get your goat. Rebecca- funny you should mention education. I have more education and degrees than a LVN or CNA or what ever you are that doesn't know how to comply with HIPPA rules. Writein, no one listened when you were under all the other alias' no one cares now.

March 3, 2010 at 1:37 p.m.
  • Justamom.

I was right about you since you first came on here.

March 3, 2010 at 1:32 p.m.
  • Suppose someone had said that guy in the White House is there because "The blacks just came out and voted." It would have stampeded the herd.

March 3, 2010 at 1:23 p.m.

March 3, 2010 at 1:22 p.m.
  • How many votes were made by illegals? :)

March 3, 2010 at 1:13 p.m.
  • RebeccaKerth

Thank you for applying common sense.

March 3, 2010 at 1 p.m.
  • Let me say this some people especially one person (VAB) should not be naive. Naiveté and ignorance are the factors in the problems in the Crossroads area. VAB it is time for you to put on the other is not. Come on, we wasn’t born last night.

It is also time to put two and two together Havar’s comments = certain people or certains groups leaving the area. There’s your answer, Victoria Advocate

March 3, 2010 at 12:58 p.m.

March 3, 2010 at 12:48 p.m.

March 3, 2010 at 12:46 p.m.
  • Shame on you Victoria Advocate!

March 3, 2010 at 12:27 p.m.
  • I am not speaking in terms of race or how the position progressed. I agree it is time for a change and that Mr. Huvar made a comment that shows his age and the VICAD should not have printed, but they want controversy. I am rather thanking a man who LOVED his job and the county for 55 years.

March 3, 2010 at 11:34 a.m.
  • "Diddo" to roberttx
    I was going to say the same but your so right out with the old and in with the new. Time for a change!

March 3, 2010 at 10:59 a.m.
  • Does anyone know what the County Clerk position pays? If the pay fits the job, why would words like "dedication" and "service" apply to this position? One could argue that he's done us a disservice by keeping us in the technological Stone Age. His longevity is certainly an accomplishment, but I can't understand how the guy is a hero.

I'm always open to new information, so if anyone can make a case for how Mr. Huvar has revolutionized County Clerking, I'm all ears.

March 3, 2010 at 10:57 a.m.
  • OF COURSE WE SHOULD THANK MR.HUVAR FOR SO MUCH DEDICATION TO THIS COUNTY AND FOR SO LONG. I STAND BY WHAT I PREVIOUSLY SAID.

March 3, 2010 at 10:40 a.m.
  • now he can go home and play with his little froggies!

March 3, 2010 at 10:39 a.m.
  • they should've got rid of him 30 years ago!

March 3, 2010 at 10:35 a.m.

March 3, 2010 at 10:33 a.m.
  • Huvar is from the 50's way of thinking I'm surprised he stayed as long as he did! poor guy he won't have much of a retirement!

March 3, 2010 at 10:25 a.m.
  • Good gosh people. This man stood by our county for 55 years and put his life into his work. As he finally steps down, will we really be standing there throwing stones or can we thank him for his service. This is a 90 yr old man that kept doing a job he loved. Another man will be filling the position and even though it may be the right time for it, we should still stand as a county for once and thank this fine man who worked for us.

March 3, 2010 at 10:25 a.m.
  • "The Hispanics just came out and voted. That's all I can say." WOW, is he serious?? For a 90 year old man still in good enough health to work full-time, that comment overflows with ingorance. Good riddance old timer...take all your frogs with you and go enjoy your retirement!

March 3, 2010 at 10:06 a.m.
  • I FEEL THAT RACE SHOULD HAVE NOT BEEN MENTIONED. THE REPORTER HAD A CHOICE TO EITHER INCLUDE IT OR NOT, BUT HE/SHE CHOSE TO. WHY? ITS ALL ABOUT RATINGS. THEY NEW INCLUDING THAT STATEMENT WOULD STIR PEOPLE UP AND THATS EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANTED. WHY DOES RACE ALWAYS HAVE TO BE A FACTOR IN EVERYTHING? IN THE END. WE ARE ALL HUMAN AND WE ARE ALL BROTHERS AND SISTERS BECAUSE WE ARE GOD'S CHILDREN. EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON AND IT WAS JUST MR. HUVARS TIME TO DO SOMETHING ELSE AND JUST ENJOY LIFE. CONGRATS TO MR. CORTEZ. I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO WORK WITH HIM FOR A WHILE AND HE IS AN OUTSTANDING PERSON.

March 3, 2010 at 9:56 a.m.
  • Ya know, I'm still looking for those documents Huvar claimed (at LWV Forum) he put on the internet. I can't seem to find county budgets from before 2009. It's interesting that the two budgets I found represent the only time the county hasn't increased spending in the last eight years.

I hope Mr. Cortez will upload every public government document he oversees, including contracts.

March 3, 2010 at 9:27 a.m.
  • SAM, THANK YOU FOR BEING SO BOLD.

March 3, 2010 at 9:10 a.m.
  • Thank you Mr. Huvar for all of your service. You did a great job and Victoria County thanks you.

March 3, 2010 at 9:10 a.m.
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO THE RESIDENTS OF VICTORIA, THIS IS A WELL DESERVED VICTORY FOR ALL. ROBERTO IS A WINNER SINCE I HAVE KNOWN HIM AND THAT FRIENDSHIP STARTED IN 1992. I CERTIFY HIM AS A MATTER OF FACT. ROBERTO CORTEZ IS THE BEST SOLUTION FOR VICTORIA. HE WILL BRING TRANSPERANCY, LEADERSHIP, AND PURE GOOD ALL HISPANIC EXCELLENCE. IN THIS NEW CENTURY ROBERTO IS BEST PERSON FOR THIS JOB OR ANY OTHER JOB HE PUTS HIMSELF IN. I HOPE HE CAN WORK FOR VICTORIA FOR 55 YEARS JUST TO MAKE THINGS EQUAL. I LOVE YOU ROBERTO FOR EVER AND I MISS YOU HERE IN WASHINGTON AND BALTIMORE...PLEASE DON'T FORGET US.

SINCERELY,

SAMUEL RODRIGUEZ
    WASHINGTON, DC
    samrodriguez@msn.com

March 3, 2010 at 9 a.m.
  • Tasteless comment by Mr. Huvar, regardless of the context. It screams sore loser. And at age 90, isn't it time to give someone else a shot? Good grief.

March 3, 2010 at 8:40 a.m.
  • Mr. Huvar’s comments are being misconstrued. If you looked at the percentage of Hispanics voting in this election compared to previous years, there is a definite increase. Maybe he could have said it more eloquently, as a politician would by telling the public what it wants to hear, but Mr. Huvar is NOT a politician. He is a public servant as he has been for the past 55 years. Thank you for your service Mr. Huvar. I know that I (as do countless others) appreciate all of your time and hard work in office.

March 3, 2010 at 8:32 a.m.
  • Mr Huzar's comment is a very sad but telling end to his story. If only Mr Huvar had made the effort to get to know and gain the trust of only 20 of Mr Cortez's "hispanic" voters, he would still be in office. Odd how a little bigotry works in this day and age. Good luck Mr Cortez.

March 3, 2010 at 8:16 a.m.
  • instead of frogs in the office I guess it could be 'Redfish' now. Way to go!!!!

Thank you to all the Hispanics, mexican-americans, latinos, illegals for voting.

March 3, 2010 at 7:52 a.m.
  • Mr. Huvar...I suspect that quite a few Anglos voted to remove you from office as well. Now we will have a full-time County Clerk, one who works 5 days a week, 40 hours a week, instead of leaving early most days. Enjoy your retirement...it is way past time for it.

March 3, 2010 at 6:51 a.m.
  • Thank you for 55 years of service Mr huvar. I hope Mr. Cortez can bring with him the same dedication to job as Mr huvar has done and continue to uphold the high standards required for this job. Good Luck and health to both Mr Cortez and Mr Huvar as they begin the next chapter in their lives. I just wish every politician had the same commitment to true public service that Mr Huvar has shown through out his 55 year career. He didn't do it for the money that's for sure.

March 3, 2010 at 6:30 a.m.
  • Mr.Huvar should of not said what he said about hispanics. But that shows you that he was races, So out with the old in with the new. Congratulations Mr.Cortez

March 3, 2010 at 4:43 a.m.
  • Mr Huvar, Thank you for your services! It is time to go fishing or put your time into another project to keep busy. I think the city should make Jan. 1, your first day in office, "Val Huvar Day" in memory of your 55 years of service.

Roberttx- Mr Huvar came from a different time and was raised to see things in a different way from the way we see things today. You are right, it is time for a change. 55 years of service in the same office is long enough. At 90 years old I am not sure he is capable of another term, besides it is time for him to retire anyway.

Mr. Cortez - I hope you have a good term as County Clerk and look forward to the changes mentioned in the article. Bring us into this century, please!

March 3, 2010 at 3:40 a.m.
  • "I have nothing to say," he said in a phone interview from his home. "The Hispanics just came out and voted. That's all I can say."

I was going to log in and thank him for years of service, but after reading Mr. Huvar's comment, it looks like it was well past time for a change.

best of luck Mr. Cortez.

March 3, 2010 at 3:08 a.m.