Comments

• I helped on the Census back in 1988 & those houses downtown that have been split up into apartments were going for $50 a week = $200 a month on a 4 week month. There were families of 6 living in one of those 2 room hovels. To say that the owners were unaware of how their properties were being used & the condition they were in, back in 1988, is naive, they knew. If they were renting for $50 a week back in 1988 what are they being rented for today? A slumlord is a slumlord is a slumlord, no 2 ways about it. Any property owner that lets their property deteriorate to the condition of this particular building is a slumlord, that damage did not happen overnight or in less than a years time. That house/complex & several like it have been seedy for decades.

I did say the renters should be held liable & financially responsible for the damage they do to the properties in which they reside. If a person is in section 8 housing & they damage/destroy the property, they can become ineligible for the assistance. The property owner/manager has to file the complaints & provide proof of damage. If they do not care about the property & only care about the $$ then they let it go into disrepair. With the shortage of affordable housing in Victoria, slumlords like this one can pocket all the money & do the minimal work needed, while making off like a bandit.

I think section 8 needs to better screen all candidates, both renters & rentees. There should be better checks & balances to ensure both renter & rentee are taken care of. Get rid of the bad renters & bad properties. Hold both partys accountable for the condition of the property.

Somebody recently asked me why we don't get into investment/rental properties & my answer was quick & simple...I don't have the time, patience or $$ to invest in rental properties. In a perfect world that would seem like a good investment but we all know this world is far from perfect.

March 7, 2010 at 11:44 p.m.
  • There is plenty of government money for these people who use the government to pay for everything else. So why don't they get an education at the goverment's expense, and then stop sucking from them? I went to college with four kids at home, just me and four kids. I saved money, I paid for my college, we did without some things, but after I finished college I then worked in the medical field and took good care of my fours kids. I did NOT get any government help, I paid for my own college, I worked nights, went to college during the day, my kids did not suffer, I got NO child support, NO food stamps, NO Medicaid.

I SAY ALL OF THESE PEOPLE NEED TO GET OFF THEIR LAZY BOTTOMS AND DO IT FOR THEMSELVES. IN ADDITION, STOP DEPENDING ON HANDOUTS, BUT AS LONG AS THE GOVERMENT KEEPS HANDING IT OUT TO THOSE WHO ARE TOO LAZY TO WORK, IT WILL CONTINUE AT THE EXPENSES OF US TAX PAYING PEOPLE!!!

March 7, 2010 at 8:18 p.m.
  • As a point of interest ... the Victoria Central Appraisal District has seen fit to raise the valuation on this property, which is deemed 'substandard', by 165% over the last 4 years, (UP 2.3% last year). Another property, located at 302 Brazos, has been 'red tagged' by the city and the Central Appraisal Dist. has raised the value on it by 29% over the last 4 years.

If a property is considered 'substandard' and 'unfit for habitation' by the city .... HOW can the appraised value go UP every year?

It is past time for a serious investigation into the appraised values being placed on property in this town.

March 7, 2010 at 5:21 p.m.
  • As I see alot of section 8 renters not having respect for where they live and thrashing places making the people whom rent with their hard earned money pay more by rental prices going up. I see Landlords fighting a losing battle if they think guaranteed rent money is a solution. If you rent like this , I feel you have to have a qualified educated person to be onsite manager to keep these places in shape. Also, make known in writing all policies of any misuse of the property them or their family makes. This is a sad issue when people live this way, saying they have slum landlords. Which I know there are some out there, but it costs alot to run a rental.Everytime a renter brakes something that is cost out of the owners pocket usually to keep it looking nice. This problem can not be fixed over nite. I see it as a National problem. Section 8 really needs to be revised. If there is not section 8 than maybe we would have many people working harder to live in a decent place and take care of their home they live in. We would not have such eyesores to look at around town.

March 7, 2010 at 4:08 p.m.
  • After the last three renters we closed down a two bedroom house and now use it for storage, yep we pay property taxes, insurance on this property, who needs people that destroy rental property, not worth the mess.

March 7, 2010 at 3:51 p.m.
  • Slum housing should not qualify for section 8. Complete waste of tax money. Without section 8 money these slumlords would need to improve their properties or rent for cash. HUD or whoever runs section 8 should do routine inspections of properties before they are eligible for government assissted tenants. El Torreo was section 8 also it seems.

The tenants also should be held responsible for damage they do to the property they inhabit. If they damage or destroy, they should have to pay to fix or else lose their section 8 privelages.

Nobody forced the person in this story to live in this property. The city owes her nothing, the government owes her nothing. She owes her children a better life than what she is currently providing. She needs to look into finding full time employment so she can help herself, her children & her mother. I feel sorry for her kids as they had no choice in where & how they lived. It is sad that people have to resort to living in these conditions but by not speaking up, especially when it is section 8 $$, they are contributing to the problem. This place has been a slum house for decades & there are many more like this place downtown. Many old homes made into 1 or 2 room fourplexes with many people inhabiting each space.

Housing in Victoria isn't cheap. Any fees you people are suggesting would only be passed on to renters which would make rent even higher. Until the renters are held liable for damage they cause, rent will stay high due to maintance & repairs.

Born2be, for once we agree.

March 7, 2010 at 1:13 p.m.
  • Not until everything is free will we ever have Utopia. It is possible, let's just do it and gitter done.

March 7, 2010 at 12:51 p.m.
  • With the over-abundance of cheap labor, how else is it supposed to be different?

March 7, 2010 at 12:33 p.m.

March 7, 2010 at 11:20 a.m.

March 7, 2010 at 11:18 a.m.
  • excuseme01

many people owe a mortgage on their rent houses. With my rent house, I need to charge almost $600 a month to just break even.
    We have a house payment, property taxes (cannot claim a homestead exemption), house insurance, liability insurance, and everytime a tenent moves out, cost to fix what they messed up.
    Renters never understand what the costs of owning a rent house are.

March 7, 2010 at 10:27 a.m.
  • Cheap rent and high property costs for the Landlord does not equal out. Something will suffer somewhere.
    The least the tenants can do is take some responsibility for what they mess up if they expect to keep their apartments in operable condition AND keep the rent low.
    Low cost housing cannot be profitable, or even a break-even endeavor.
    I've been on both ends of this. I've lived in a house and we did all minor repairs outself. There's no need in bothering the landlord with things like leaking faucets, stopped up drains, torn screens, or anything thing else we were capable of fixing ourselves. It was a small price to keep our rent as low as possible.
    We now have a rent house that we rent out. It is horrible what tenents will do. We barely make a profit by the time we pay property taxes, upkeep on the house, and income tax on the rent.
    We WILL NOT advertise in the paper, so we can be choosy who we put in there. We're at the point of leaving it empty until we find the right renters.

March 7, 2010 at 10:19 a.m.
  • Sounds to me like Kenneth is a landlord. J.M.O.
    I think landlords should rent property(houses,apartments) according to one's income. If you ask me, the rent in this county is ridiculous. I'm guessing that the rent that these landlords charge is solely based on what their current rent/mortgage payment is for the home they are living in now. That's the impression I get when I see how much it is to rent a two bedroom house($500, $600 and in some cases upto $1300 depending on what side of town the house is in). Plain ol' ridiculous.

March 7, 2010 at 10:09 a.m.
  • I agree - all units should be inspected annually. Charge the landlord an inspection fee and that will help cover the city's cost.

March 7, 2010 at 8:44 a.m.
  • LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE ELSE AGREES...It just makes me so made that we (USA) is the first to help when there is a natural disaster in another country, but lack the effort to help our own citizens. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT? We (USA) have homeless, poverty, substandard living conditions... I'm not sorry to say this, I just believe that you can't help anyone until you help yourself.

March 7, 2010 at 8:43 a.m.
  • The landlords need to be held legally responsiblbe for the condition of their properties that are for for human habitation. They should be fined for all building code violations. If property is condemed the landlord should be responsible for the 1st months rent and deposit for the property his tenent has to move to, for each tenent disposed. All in all if the landlord does not keep his/her property up to code they would face heavy fines and even jail time.

The city needs to inspect all rental properties and enforce all codes before a permit is issued to rent that property. All rental properties are to be registered, inspected and issued a permit of "habitation" annually.

The citizens (renters) should use the proper channels to change the laws that control rental properties. Use your voice to vote and write letters and make phone calls to the people YOU elected and let them konw how you feel!

March 7, 2010 at 4:56 a.m.
  • I am very surpise. I am so surpise that I am agreeing with Kenneth on something.

March 6, 2010 at 10:44 p.m.