Comments

• Everyone keeps harping about P/C/G running doctors out of town..well let me give you a little history! Before p/c/g were even in Victoria..there was a heart doctor named Douglas Salmon who was run out of town by the Citizen's group (I guess they didn't like the competition) ..he was promised a cath lab and they started building it and low and behold it was turned into a huge storeroom for many years. Then Parikh came to Victoria and they tried their best to run him out of town too! The hospital and physician politics have been going on for a very long time..but this time Mr. Brown and the board went a little too far..I do believe that the patient should have a choice of hospital, surgeon, physician!

March 23, 2010 at 10:55 p.m.
  • from the looks of this. Detar has done nothing wrong i cannot seem to find Detar in this article so how are they involved?

March 22, 2010 at 7:06 p.m.
  • throwoutbrown...I too worked under this man and he is very vindictive and conspiring, to the point that something is wrong with him. I have seen and heard him do a lot of aweful things to people. How about referring to obese patients in the hospital as "things". He wanted those "things" out asap because they could potentially break the bed.

He has his ears everywhere. Just recently I overheard him pulling info out of some surgical staff about a doc he does not care for. This doc (who is a great surgeon) was not happy with some of Brown's decisions. Brown was telling them that they are doing the right thing by sharing what he said. Knowing David for the past (too many) years, he will make this docs life miserable.

I also have worked with 2 of the 3 physicians and they are right on target!

March 21, 2010 at 2:55 p.m.
  • 1. Threat of turning other physicians in for unfounded cases to Texas
Medical Board as they have with other physicians over, and over. Seems like this would be a benign thing right? If the case was indeed unfounded--Imagine all it takes to become a physician--thousands and thousands of dollars, 8, 9, 10 years or more, establishing a practice, working 10-12 often more hours a day --all the while doing everything in your power to keep patients safe and help them heal. Then you start getting letters from the Texas Medical Board--an entity that could take away that license you have worked so hard to earn. You know the case went well, but think you may need to hire a lawyer to ensure all steps are taken appropriately. In the mean time you continue your 10-12 hour days--taking care of patients---back of your mind wondering if your peers and/or public doubt your ability, even though the complaint was unfounded---few weeks go by--another letter. This case went well too--more time spent, expense of lawyer, worry about how this may stain your reputation--even when the complaints have been found to be groundless--now that happens not 1, not 2, not 3 but 7-8 times. This and other intimidation tactics was so hard on two good heart surgeons they picked up their families and left.
2. Threat of lawsuit
3. Cornering other physicians and staff with yelling and threats, etc.
People are afraid of them--and rightly so. That is why it has taken a while for action to be taken.

March 21, 2010 at 1 p.m.
  • Again, it is not common for a physician to "fire" a patient but the way these guys practice is not common thank goodness--especially in Victoria, where we are blessed with an excellent group of physicians.
    But these physicians can and have "fired" patients if/when the patient did not choose to use the hospital (De Tar or Houston) or surgeon (De Tar or Houston) as they were told by these doctors---again--intimidation. Their intimidation has worked on many patients who were afraid to make the change during a health crisis---this is unheard of in the history of health care in Victoria, TX. You would think the hospital would have to protect patients from behavior like this-right. Oh, that's right...they did---even knowing the threat and intimidation of lawsuit and such. That was a brave thing to do--especially for the Board. Maybe they have had a loved one at some point who was ill and understand the importance of being able to trust what the physician says without doubt--which is and should be a basic right in our culture/society--and found it unacceptable for these physicians to out and out lie to patients about their options. Their "reward" for this is a lawsuit and a one-sided article splashed on the front page of the local paper--portraying the physicians who behaved so outrageously as to cause this drastic but necessary action as "victims."
It is hard to believe that a doctor would lie to a patient and use these intimidation tactics--again---- unheard of in Victoria---has been hard for everyone involved to believe the behavior---then when the pattern was impossible to ignore many were and still are afraid to speak up because of

March 21, 2010 at 12:59 p.m.
  • As someone with extensive experience dealing with Citizens and Mr Brown, I suggest that all responsible citizens of Victoria county demand accountability from their hospital.

This issue is only the tip of the iceberg. The directors and administration have done a great job of hiding some very interesting financial schemes.

This is YOUR hospital. Demand accountability. You elect the county commisioners. They are do a terrible job and this needs to change. Demand better. Demand to see David Brown's compensation. Demand to see how many of the board members have conflicts of interest. Many have lucrative contracts with the county or the hospital. These are cancelled if they question Brown.

I cannot defend DeTar or the cardiologists. I do not know much about their practices. I can only guess that Brown is not innocent in this.

March 20, 2010 at 8:17 p.m.
  • Exresident,
    Doctors CAN terminate relations with their patients if they want to! Call it "fired" or whatever, this can happen!

March 20, 2010 at 11:07 a.m.
  • It is not typical behavior, especially for local physicians, but a group such as P, C, and G can and have "shut out" surgeons as explained well by WakeUpVTX below.

It is unfortunate and unheard of to most of the medical community. Some of their tactics include repeated, unfounded claims to the Texas Medical Board on these surgeons, lawsuits, threats, etc. Has caused others to be afraid to "get involved"--afraid that the same will happen to them.

They know the game of intimidation well and use it to their advantage.

March 19, 2010 at 10:02 p.m.
  • You need a referal to a specialist by your primary doctor because he knows which one you need if you even need one at all . Lets say your lower back starts bothering you and you run to see a specialist in lower lumbar spines , he checks you out and says it's not your back , i think its your kidneys , you may need to see a specialist in urology . thats why you need a referal from a primary care doctor who can run a few tests/ blood work and send you to the appropriate specialist instead of you running around wasting time and money trying to diagnose yourself .

March 19, 2010 at 9:39 a.m.
  • The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court, Victoria Division, names Citizens Medical Center, David Brown, Donald Day, Joe Bland, Andrew Clemmons, Jennifer Hartman, Paul Holm, Luis Guerra and William Todd Campbell

Aside from CMC and David Brown, what do the rest of those listed here have to do with it?

March 19, 2010 at 9:31 a.m.
  • Well Longshot when I have needed to see a specialist , it has been a problem because they wouldn't see me without a referral from my Dr. I feel that I was forced to do something I didn't need just to get what I needed . because you have to go to see your Dr and pay him so you can get the refferral , then go see the specialist does that make sense to you ? To have to pay just so that you can get an OKAY to see a specialist . yes you can make your choice of who to see but not without a refferral and then you may not be able to go to the hospital closer to your house because that Dr. of your choice isn't allowed to operate there . What do you call that ? back in 1992 I needed to see a woman Dr. and I ended up having to go to San Antonio because all those Doctors here needed a refferal , and I didn't have a primery care giver . And in San Antonio I didn't needed a refferal , I just walked in and the Dr. saw me . I have never needed to see a cardiologist as of yet but I have heard that you have to be reffered by your primery care giver to see a specialist . And every time I have needed to see one I've been told that I need to be reffered even to see a skin Dr.

March 18, 2010 at 10:36 p.m.
  • if I have to go Detar to be treated by the Dr. of my choice because he can't work at CMC then I will and if my choice is to go with the Dr. that works at CMC then I'll go there but alot of times you may want to choose another Dr. and have your operation at CMC where is the freedom of choice ? I don't know why you get offended if I want a certain trash bag I'll go where they have it , I often shop in Corpus or Houston when I can or I happen to be there and there is a sale . so grow up and get over it .

March 18, 2010 at 10:01 p.m.
  • to Maryaguilarv
    You do have the right of choice so does everyone else ,so why has pgc denied everyone in the county the right and choice to have their heart surgery done by dr. yahagi . People who have heard of dr.yahagi and his skills have ask pgc if he (yahagi) could do their operation and they are told no for various reason. several patients have had yahagi do their operation anyway and then they were fired by pgc ! thats just wrong ! so wheres their freedom of choice ?
    You refered to HEB ,so here you go. HEB stops selling your brand of trash bags , what do you do ? you get a different brand or you go where your trash bags are . so looks like you need to shop at detar where your trash bags now are .

March 18, 2010 at 9:02 a.m.
  • I was also born in Victoria and all of you know that we have the Constitution of the United States that says : we have freedom of choice , to pick and choose . I want to practice that freedom or excerise my right I want to use my freedom to choose the the hospital and the Dr. and to have that Dr. treat me and operated on me because I know him , feel comfortable with him and most all because I trust him . I don't want someone I don't even know making that choice for me .Now if it is an emergency I am in an accident and I can't make that choice and there are no family members there fine then someone will have to make that choice for me . but If I am seeing a cardiologist I don't want to be referred to someone unknown to me , that is going to show up in my life a day or a week before my operation because Mr. Brown said so , who is Mr Brown ? surely not my relative , not a member of my family . He just runs CMC. when I go to HEB for groceries no one there tells me what I Have to buy I excercise my right because this is the usa we don't have that many rights left . if we buy property we may like the price or the location but we can't fence it on that street or how many trees you can have or even in some places what color you can paint or what kind of sideing to pick and alot of other things .We as Americans have rights Its up to us to excercise those rights . don't let our right of choice become something of the past . If we are able to choose then why give that up to Mr. Brown

March 17, 2010 at 11:51 p.m.
  • I can see why those of you are defending a doctor who has saved your life in the past, but lets not forget ALL the other people that were very influential in your life saving process. It starts from the EMT who came to your house and rushed you to the hospital, then the E.R. nurses and doctors that monitored you until your cardiologist got there. Once you were taken upstairs you had another set of people working on you and that would include cath lab x-ray techs so the doctor can see what they are doing, the nurses keeping you comfortable and monitoring your heart rate and pressures as well as giving you the necessary medicine that you needed down to the scrub tech that assists with all the necessary supplies and materials. Once your surgery is over, you go see ICU nurses that monitor you post-op. So, a doctor did not save your lives, a medical team saved your lives.

And no, I do not work in the medical profession!

March 17, 2010 at 7:06 p.m.
  • Ex , you especially should wake up . None of what i have said is " hear say " and a real savvy lawyer for that group would want to stay as far from me as possible . BUT , I am ready for it when your wish gets granted :)

March 17, 2010 at 12:23 p.m.
  • page 3 of 3 sorry theres a limit on words.
    cont.
    several dr.s have left victoria and it wasnt for greener pastor , it was because they wanted to practice medicine not be harassed with mob style tactic by pgc .
    so in a nut shell after years of pgc telling patients cmc doesnt offer that surgery & continually disrupting the hospital setting and transfering all heart surgeries out when dr yahagi was standing by ready for them , it was the staff and medical staff that finally said mr. brown you have to stop this and now he is trying.this may cost cmc some money by pgc being out of cmc and only at detar if that the way it works out, but really victoria its not about the money , its about the quality of service you provide . I will stand behind cmc and the honor of dr. yahagi . Have a good day :) his and now he is trying.this may cost cmc some money by pgc being out of cmc and only at detar if that the way it works out, but really victoria its not about the money , its about the quality of service you provide . I will stand behind cmc and the honor of dr. yahagi . Have a good day :)

March 17, 2010 at 11:20 a.m.
  • page 2 of 3

pgc then recruited dr.picket and dr.bhatia from houston and pawned them off to our community as some super hero surgeons from houston . These two surgeons were kicked out of most of the houston hospitals and had over a dozen complaints with the texas medical board but pgc thought they were good enough for you ,but too bad it wasnt about you . they brought them here to compete against taylor and yahagi . how do you feel now victoria ? This lasted a year until most ( IF NOT ALL )of the dr.s at detar said , "enough , get picket and bhatia out of here !" but they were here long enough to divide the business 4 ways which eventually was enough for taylor to leave as well. now we still have dr. yahagi who stuck it out through all of this , his record is better than any of the other three that left and better than any of the surgeons that pgc have sent their patients to in houston . they (pgc)will never send dr.yahagi a case because he choose to work with everyone and at both hospitals . By not joining their club exclusively they pgc began to send all heart surgery out of town as a means to choke out dr.yahagi . they (pgc) have denied patients in victoria the right to see one of the best heart surgeons this town has seen in 15 years by telling them that dr yahagi is new, he's no good , they dont like him , he's a crook .etc....
    now detar has a heart surgeon who from what i hear is pretty good (dr.sikenhorse)not sure on the spelling and now he has some friction with pgc as well because pgc still sends some of there heart cases to houston to their friends . so tell me residents of victoria do you like pgc enough to help their friends in houston survive financially as well? why would you travel to houston put your family out time and money to have a surgery done by a dr. who has a higher mortality rate than the one you were denied access to in victoria ? you think mr.brown is trying to tell you who you can and cant see ? these guys pgc have been doing it to you for years by telling patients they could have their heart surgery at detar or in houston , why have they denied most of their patients access to dr. yahagi's surgical services ? ill tell you why , their concern is running dr.yahagi out of town not what's best for you . You victoria residents ,have and are paying the price for this messed up game with your health . you trust your dr to be on your side , with only your best interest in mind , so next time ask your dr. point blank " why do you not like dr. yahagi ? " it's not about you, it's about them

March 17, 2010 at 11:15 a.m.
  • page 1 of 2
    To happy girl and the rest who only know one side of the wonderul cardiologist p/g/c who have saved their loved ones lives at some point , 2 of these 3 cardiologist are good doctors and 1 is the worst iv ever seen , but i do understand your point . if my life was saved by a dr.(any doctor) i would defend him to no end as well . but good or bad does not give you the right to do what these guys are doing to dr. Yahagi which is why this all started.
    Dr. Taylor did not bring dr. yahagi to town . It was dr.'s chandna ,parikh and galla who sought out a surgeon to compete against dr. taylor because the two groups had a falling out and p/g/c wanted to choke taylor out by sending all there business to what ever cv surgeon they could get to come to victoria. They (pgc) heard of an outstanding surgeon at UTMB galveston (dr. yahagi) and they contacted him for an interview. during that interview dr. yahagi was told by pgc that he wasnt to help , talk to or even look at dr. taylor. , Dr. Yahagi was set back by this because he was recently out of training , didnt want to be on call 24/7 and he felt like having a partner would be a wise thing . since dr.taylor was looking for a partner and pgc seemed real fishy about the whole taylor thing he went and spoke to taylor and they became partners . this set pgc into a rage and they vowed to run them both out of town .

March 17, 2010 at 11:11 a.m.
  • I agree 100% with EX

March 17, 2010 at 11 a.m.
  • OH YEAH "ZERO", WE ALL BELIEVE EVERYTHING WE HEAR AT HEB. I RAN INTO A MAN THERE AND HE TOLD ME THE SKY WASN'T BLUE. I SHOULD HAVE POSTED A BLOG ABOUT IT...

March 17, 2010 at 10:51 a.m.
  • Oh, just back from HEB and heard that the CC's lawyer is ... wait!, wait for it!, ... a relative.

Phew! And here I was worried that the cardiac clowns were putting out their own money for lawyers. Because, you know, that would mean they were acting on a principle.

March 17, 2010 at 4:12 a.m.
  • Let's see: last stent (according to posters here), three years ago. When did Detar buy the cardiac clowns their special machines? Hmmmmm.

So when do we get to see the financial records from the CC and compare their surgical records to the calendar? Many posters claim (falsely) that the cardiac clowns aren't in the lawsuit for MONEY. The lawsuit claims damages ... that is, MONEY, ... and attorney's fees. Hey, that's MONEY too!

MONEY from the taxpayers.

Folks, it is all about the money.

March 17, 2010 at 4:03 a.m.
  • lets not forget the sleep study lab that one of the pain physican owns down John Stockbaur. This has been going on a life-time here in Victoria.

March 16, 2010 at 11:45 a.m.
  • I am sorry...I put Cardio101 and am directing my comment to TxHunter..I am sorry once again

March 16, 2010 at 8:29 a.m.
  • Cardio101 needs to grow up..my 10 year old stepson is more grown up than he is...Sounds like he has a foot in the door in some part of this. Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to one so post your comment and move on instead of fighting like the child you are

March 16, 2010 at 8:18 a.m.
  • Cardiology.....theres a lot of good MCR money to get from that department, unlike birthing centers.

March 15, 2010 at 9:37 p.m.
  • cardio101, if you are an example of what CMC now provides in that department, I would go to Houston for my surgery in a heartbeat. Nobody is going to go to jail in a civil suit...they don't even want money, just to have their privileges reinstated.

In a small town like Victoria, I would think all the docs would have dual privileges....it only makes sense. There is no law stating they can't see patients at both.

Whichever TX it is that keeps harping on these drs running good doctors off...remember those docs CHOSE to leave. If Taylor left for greener pastures, GREED led him there, obviously more $$
    was more important to him than staying in Victoria & treating patients at CMC.

I am still of the belief Brown is fighting back at DeTar for one upping CMC with their cardiology dept. Census drives everything in hospitals these days. TXwhatever....its all about the greed...oops, I mean the green.

March 15, 2010 at 7:54 p.m.
  • I don't know Ex, kinda like someone said, The doctors will serve jail time.... for losing a civil case? No wonder the country is in trouble.

That statement is a glaring example of the failure of the education system in America.

March 15, 2010 at 6:38 p.m.
  • Well I will be the better person here and let you get your last word in. Since that seems to be your childish way of steering away from the actual subject. Have a great day Sir.

March 15, 2010 at 5:19 p.m.
  • Each is entitled to an opinion. Let it go already Tx Hunter.

March 15, 2010 at 5:13 p.m.
  • Oh Tx Hunter, much less defensive than you.

March 15, 2010 at 4:41 p.m.
  • CARDIO 101- I do think they have "put their big boy panties on" by taking CMC/ David Brown to court and suing. Have these great doctors TOLD you it is a personal issue with Yahagi or are you just drawing assumtions? Why don't you get YOUR facts straight. It sounds like you have your own pissing contest.

March 15, 2010 at 4:34 p.m.

March 15, 2010 at 3:44 p.m.
  • The people of Victoria should get down on their knees on a daily basis and thank God that we have Cardiologists like Drs Parikh, Galla, and Chandna. They are the exception among the Cardiologists in this town. They take their own call except when they are physically out of town, they come when they are called, they schedule procedures according to the patient's need rather than their convenience. I have worked in the Medical profession for over 32 years and worked closely with these gentleman. You cannot do better anywhere. And for those of you who think you get better medical care in Houston or in a bigger town....that is insane. There are good and bad physicians in any town, however when there is a bad one, it is hard for him to hide in a town the size of Victoria. The bad physicians can work for years in a large city and not be found out...jumping from hospital to hospital.

This is a political thing that has been going on for years. One group of physicians have lost patients to a better group of physicians. The patients go where they get the best care....that's a fact.

And another thing that irks my wallet on a daily basis. When you have a County Hospital, who does not pay taxes, competing with a Hospital that does pay taxes, that makes every private citizen's taxes go up. The County Owned Taj Mahal Health Center is another example of your tax dollars at work.....working against you.

People think that the county hospital takes care of the indigent and those with no healthcare insurance. That's a crock....it is a matter of public record that the privately owned hospital in town writes off more bad debt than the county hospital.

The truth will prevail. One of my family members has been seeing Dr. Parikh since shortly after his arrival in Victoria. Dr. Parikh has saved his life several times. My family member has six stents placed by Dr. Parikh and I guarantee that he is an exceptional physician with a talent in the Cardiac cath lab that is almost unbelievable. His partners rate on the same level. This group practices patient focused medicine....something that is becoming almost extinct in this day and time.

Dave Brown is arrogant in thinking he has the right to limit the choice of patients just because he desires it to be.

March 15, 2010 at 3:10 p.m.
  • I am very proud of these three wonderful doctors who have served this community and who are now standing up for themselves. This is not about Citizens vs DeTar but is in fact about the injuctice done to these doctors. Both hospitals should be honored to have these doctors practicing at their hospital. Dr Parikh can be found at the hospital late into the night working dilegently on his patients. He really cares for his patients. Once he has seen you, he can remember just about everything about his patient. That means alot to me as I see doctors who can't even remember the patients name they have been treating for years. Dr Chandna is one of the leading doctors in the cardiac studies that better our lives. He has an amazing passion for cardiology. It is more than a job. He has been working to help people with cardiac problems live and live a life worth living with his research efforts. Dr Galla spends time with his patients and listens, truly listens to his patients concerns and adresses them. He is sweet and compassionate to his patients. He is gentle and supportive of his patients. These are 3 doctors that we can afford to loose in our community. We have to sent so many patients out of our community to see specialist of all kinds because doctors do not want to come to Victoria, so why would (or should) we treat the doctors here (that have chosen to be here) so poorly making them want to move off. My preference is DeTar Hospital. I have always enjoyed the care, compassion, and professional service that I have received there but I feel that both hospitals are desperately needed in Victoria. These doctors are desperately needed in Victoria and should have the rights to service their patients at either hospital. Wake up Victoria, and welcome the blessings that we have!

March 15, 2010 at 2:48 p.m.

March 15, 2010 at 1:46 p.m.
  • Oh Texas Hunter, you are sure defensive there. Wonder why.....

March 15, 2010 at 11:31 a.m.
  • Exresident, I disagree about your take on greed.

—Synonyms
    avarice, avidity, cupidity, covetousness; voracity, ravenousness, rapacity. Greed, greediness denote an excessive, extreme desire for something, often more than one's proper share. Greed means avid desire for gain or wealth (unless some other application is indicated) and is definitely uncomplimentary in implication: His greed drove him to exploit his workers. Greediness, when unqualified, suggests a craving for food; it may, however, be applied to all avid desires, and need not be always uncomplimentary: greediness for knowledge, fame, praise.

—Antonyms
    generosity

To me, Greed is not a good thing at all. To be paid for services, products in a fair way isn't greedy. Greed is what happens to people when they want more, more, more and even more.

March 15, 2010 at 10:52 a.m.
  • I had a stent put in at Citizens by one of these wonderful DR.s.8 years ago. I also had other surgery at Citizens by a Dr. that moved away and I found the patient care unacceptable at Citizens versus Detar which I have used for other surgeries...BIG difference

March 15, 2010 at 10:48 a.m.
  • for zero-dr gaalla placed a stent in me at citizens over 3 years ago.

March 15, 2010 at 8:19 a.m.
  • Here we go with the clown thing again.WhenI Had my heart attack Iwas taken to Detar but ended up at citizens They got money from my ins for the by-pass. Because One of the clowns sent me there.Its adifferent story when you wake up and see one of these clowns has saved your butt.

March 15, 2010 at 6:51 a.m.
  • These "Cardiac CLowns" as you call them may wish to practice at Detar because maybe they don't agree with how David Brown runs his hospital and maybe don't care for the surgeon backing them up. But does that give Citizens the right to tell patients who are P/C/G that "they don't practice here, so her is your new cardiologist." This is completly unethical. Does anyone slander the other group for only working at Citizens? I don't recall a big front page article about how they didn't want to work at Detar. They left by choice. Parikh, Chandna and Galla did not. So what if they prefer to use a certain hospital? Many doctors and surgeons in Victoria do. She we take away all those doctors privledges so they are unable to see their own patients as consults or emergencies?

March 15, 2010 at 6:33 a.m.
  • VBB you've got it wrong. The cardiac clowns HAD privileges at both hospitals. They take patients at Citizens and perform minor procedures, work them up, and then tell them that they have to get their surgeries done at Detar. Never once have they inserted a stent at Citizens. If a patient truly prefers Detar, then fine. But if a patient is coerced by his treating physician into moving hospitals then shame on him ... that has nothing to do with a real, informed, "choice."

While we are on "choice," if a patient really cares what doctor or hospital he or she gets treated at, then they need to make that decision and good luck with it. The shame of this situation is that doctors (maybe with the best of intentions, or maybe with their own pocketbooks in mind) prey on the patient in his/her weakened state, pester the spouse/relatives, until they decide that they have to go to Detar. Everyone bleating about "patient choice" doesn't understand what is at stake here. For the cardiac clowns, it is making as much money as possible and smearing the name of an excellent physician. For Citizens, it is about ensuring that their patients aren't stolen and that the hospital runs efficiently as staffed.

As for myfamily, Citizens cant' turn you away because of your finances. Detar can. It doesn't have anything to do with the treating physician. It has to do with Citizen's place as a public hospital. Until people understand the VERY IMPORTANT distinction between public hospitals and for profit doctor owned institutions this is always going to be a problem.

March 15, 2010 at 2:50 a.m.
  • You people crack me up!

March 14, 2010 at 11:27 p.m.
  • Yes they could sue for liable and slander, but fortunately they are more concerned with caring for their patients, which is the first concern for 99% of Victoria physicians--except for this group who is preoccupied with trying to destroy the reputation of those who don't play by their rules.

March 14, 2010 at 11:08 p.m.
  • If any allegations that were unfounded were put out for the public after the fact, then they could sue for liable. It would be no more than gossip/slander.

It seems to me Citizens & DeTar are competing for bed count which is normal, they are businesses. For Brown to say the doctors have to refer 100% of their patients or else they can't follow their patients at Citizens, he is in essence, holding the patients hostage & is guilty of extortion. Nobody can run anybody out of town, that is a choice they made themselves. How many cardiac surgeons are in Victoria? I can't imagine there are that many. If they can't get their patients worked into the schedule of course they are going to refer them elsewhere. For you to say for a fact they are referring out for their own profit then that would be considered unethical & they should be scrutinized by MCR, MCD & any 3rd party insurance for fraud. Doctors aren't allowed to accept kickbacks of any kind.

March 14, 2010 at 10:23 p.m.
  • Mr. Brown, if you lose this case which in all probability you will, prepare for other people to come forward and do the same against your unlawful practices. You have messed with the wrong people buddy and its about to come kick you in the rear end.

March 14, 2010 at 9:48 p.m.

March 14, 2010 at 9:09 p.m.
  • I don't believe Brown has the right to extort the physicians who wish to follow their patients in the county hospital.

March 14, 2010 at 8:36 p.m.
  • Symantics is all it is. Someone earlier questioned their ethics & cited that as a possible/probable reason for their dismissal. I merely pointed out the website so that person could see for themselves. I would hope & pray that Brown would follow the proper channels if he were faced with a doctor with questionable ethics.

Txhunter why are you so defensive about this? Any criticism towards Brown & you get all riled up....why so sensitive?

March 14, 2010 at 8:34 p.m.

March 14, 2010 at 8:04 p.m.
  • Dr. yahagi used to be in with another heart surgeon here, dr taylor. Dr. Taylor brought Yahagi here to victoria and then left. That doctors staff told me that didnt like these three doctors and wouldnt refer any patients to them for aftercare. Only the American Doctors got referrals from them. Hows that for prejudice. and if im not mistaken, Yahagi is Japanese American. Now who is racist?

March 14, 2010 at 7:56 p.m.
  • gop lovechild, these are good doctors. and Im trying to figure out how the heck I am gonna do this cause my cardioligist cant go to citizens and my primary care doc cant go to detar...........

March 14, 2010 at 7:50 p.m.
  • Yes, let the taxpayors see the books on those salaries. At least P/C/G earn their money the way they should.

March 14, 2010 at 7:50 p.m.
  • who pays the cardiovascular surgeon and the cardiologist at Citizens I wonder? What percentage of patient's do they see? Could it be the taxpayer? and possibly they do not see enough patients to justify their salaries.

March 14, 2010 at 7:47 p.m.
  • Regardless of how you feel about your physician, David Brown sent a memorandum about the exclusion to medical staff, stating "after consideration, the Board of Directors has close the department of cardiovascular surgery such that Dr. Yahagi...." (Read the article). To do this is not only unethical, but criminal. This trial is one we need to follow to find out the facts about what is trying to be done here. Why are these physicians not allowed to practice at Citizens, when they treat the majority of patients in Victoria County (look up the percentages!) I think the reason does lie in greed, jealousy, and also "power" tx hunter, but may be not from the side you think.

March 14, 2010 at 7:38 p.m.
  • Unethical behavior that is reported to the Texas Medical Board, if found to be true, would show up on their license which is found at the website.

Yes hospitals do allow & deny privileges all the time, usually take away privileges for misconduct or for being a potential liability, as in malpractice.

You keep saying "greed & jealousy"...I say that applies to Brown & CMC.

March 14, 2010 at 7:33 p.m.
  • Let's take away privlideges to the areas best cardiologist David Brown. You should be a smarter businessman than that. I beleive those guys have a tremendous amount of patients who use BOTH hospitals. Brown obviously will do whatever it takes to be in control even if it is at others expense(the patient.) What were all the "choices" for CV surgeons as the article writes? I'm am very certain there are only two. If my cardiologist prefers not to use the one, than I will go with his judgement to use the other. IT IS NOT YOUR CALL DAVID BROWN!!!!!

March 14, 2010 at 6:36 p.m.
  • Yes Txhunter- hospitals do grant and deny privlidges all times, but how many have taken away privlidges for an unjustafiable reason?

March 14, 2010 at 6:26 p.m.
  • Very few people who have the means to go to Houston or other large medical centers use health care facilities in Victoria, particularly for anything remotely serious. Both hospitals and most all of the doctors in Victoria are caught up in this endless and vicious fight over revenue, and the surgical community is in the thick of it, as are other specialists for whom there is a semi-finite number of patients. Dr. Campbell has been screaming for years--to his patients--about the fact that his compensation had diminished--and his frequent emotional outbursts over this and other medical/political issues is well-known. David Brown may be obnoxious, but he does have to pay his doctors, and limiting competition is one way to do it--and DeTar does the same thing. Get out of town if you want good health care.

March 14, 2010 at 5:39 p.m.
  • Txhunter..if this "good surgeon" leaves it will be his choice. Extortion is not the best option.

March 14, 2010 at 5:32 p.m.
  • TXhunter who said anything about running another surgeon out of town? This is about someone telling me who I can see and who I cant see....I've used both hospitals and dont have a problem with either one...Although I do have a problem with someone that knows nothing about cardiology telling me what doctor I will see..Sorry thats just a FACT!!!!

March 14, 2010 at 5:32 p.m.
  • After reading this article, I was very upset. As a taxpayer in Victoria County and as Citizens Medical Center is funded by our taxes, now I discover that my physician is being forced from the staff there. My taxes are used by Citizens Medical Center, but I will not be able to to use this hospital. As a person who has worked in the medical field for 45 years, I feel that I am qualified to decide which physician has the best credentials and who provides the best quality of care. This decision is not for David Brown to make. May be it is time for the citizens of this county to demand an open review of the hospital's books to see administrators salaries, hospital physician salaries, cost of advertisement, etc, that pertain to quality of care.

March 14, 2010 at 5:18 p.m.
  • PassingThru
    I was told by the ER Physician at CMC, how do you think I wound up with Dr. Gaalla?
    So before you think Dr. Gaalla told me the services were not provided, I was told by an ER Physician at CMC that I could "have test done at Detar and then transferred back to CMC."
    So lets eliminate the "middle man"...I choose to stay at Detar, I agree with others on this post
    My doctor, my choice, and my choice of hospital."
    I am sure this is not motivated by the two hospitals who are now "Heart Hospital Certified". But again, let us look at the facts.....
    CMC...Heart Hospital (good)
    Detar...Heart Hospital with PCI. (better)
    Go figure, once again, CMC is not happy Detar has out done them once again.
    First in trauma and now at cardiac.
    I can honestly say CMC does have some outstanding people and they are worth every dime they make. But those people sit in areas where they can make no changes to policy, personnel, or administration.

March 14, 2010 at 4:18 p.m.
  • It is not wise to comment on any thing without knowing all the facts. As citizens of Victoria County, we need to find out those facts, such as how much does David Brown and Citizens Medical center pay these cardiologist at Citizens and this cardiovascular surgeon at Citizens (Yahagi). How much business do they do or bring in compared to Dr. c/p/g? If David Brown can get rid of Drs c/p/g, may be patients being forced to see cardiologist at Citizens would justify their salaries. Lets find out where the money trail really leads. This taxpayer would like to know David Brown's motives? Also, Citizens Medical Center is the county hospital, as a citizen of this county, it is not up to David Brown to decide which doctor I see and which hospital I choose. I always research very thoroughly my physicians and tend to choose the most qualified. This sounds really political to me. But I challenge the citizens of Victoria to find out the fact and hold your opinion until you know those facts. This is about patient care, it is too important to guess about.

March 14, 2010 at 3:56 p.m.
  • What goes around comes around (for both sides!)

There is no doubt that Mr. Brown has kept several physicians out of the community and ran several others away from Victoria. Hospitals and administrators have several ways of justifying their actions, but one has to read in between the lines. Mr. Brown has several 'physician friends' that he is close friends with and does whatever is in his power to give them more BUSINESS. NOTHING to do with patient care!

As for the cardiologists, they too have a mafia at Detar hospital! The hospital gives them massive subsidies in 'legalized' ways to drive business to Detar. I have no doubt that this trio as a result have been driving business away from citizen for FINANCIAL reasons and NOT because of patient care. If they are sueing Citizens for "non-financial" reasons, then where were they when numerous other physicians were ran out of town or not allowed in at both Detar and Citizens? If you let it happen to ONE, it can happen to you!

Both these parties are not saints and they deserve to be in this mess! Thats why I get my care in Houston!

March 14, 2010 at 3:54 p.m.

March 14, 2010 at 3:16 p.m.
  • To all of those complaining about Detar being "for profit" and "wanting money up front".
    Detar Hospital takes in more charity (non paying) patients that CMC does.
    Do some fact checking people.
    As for cardiac care, you never see Detar transferring Cardiac patients to CMC for "cardiology work ups", but you do see CMC transferring to Detar.
    I have had cardiac care at both places, I now choose Detar because I was transferred from "the heart hospital (CMC)" to Detar a few years ago, due to services not being "available at the time".
    I also was asked by someone in insurance at CMC for $2,000 up front for a cardiac surgical procedure about 5 years ago.
    I wish Gaalla and his group the best of luck in this lawsuit. Time to bring down CMC from their ivory tower.

March 14, 2010 at 2:35 p.m.
  • Woof--The man who told you that was indeed wise.

All of you who have made comments about taking away choice:
    Dr. James Taylor was an excellent Heart Surgeon who was harassed by P/C/G because they wanted to choose their own Indian heart surgeon who flew in from Houston-did heart surgery and left. Dr. Taylor thought this and other practices were unacceptable and he would not allow them to control him----to the point that Dr. Taylor had to leave Victoria and move his wife and children to another community. Dr. Larry Breitkruetz was another highly-skilled heart surgeon who left in large part because of Parikh, Chandna and Gaalla. P/C/G are the ones responsible for taking away our choices in physicians by using intimidation with other physicians and patients to their own end. The community is at risk of losing another heart surgeon. They have been trying to destroy the cardiac program at CMC by steering patients away from Citizens so they can continue to fill their own pockets by using their own equipment and equipment at DeTar for which they receive monetary gain. Wake up and folllow their money trail people!

March 14, 2010 at 2:08 p.m.
  • My family has used CMC for all of our surgeries..we chose the hospital..we chose our surgeon and we always had excellent care!  But I do not want an Administrator of a hospital or a board limiting my healthcare choices for any of my family members!  Last time I checked we live in America..we are already having to deal with insurance companies placing limitations on our healthcare we certainly do not need an administrator of a hospital limiting our choices!

March 14, 2010 at 2:01 p.m.
  • Here are a couple of my favorite quotes on competition. Consider the sources...

"Competition is a sin." - John D. Rockefeller

"It's no accident that capitalism has brought with it progress, not merely in production but also in knowledge. Egoism and competition are, alas, stronger forces than public spirit and sense of duty."
    – Albert Einstein

March 14, 2010 at 1:37 p.m.
  • I have had alot of surgery and Dr.Chandna is my Cardiologist....I have been in Citizens yes i got good care but if i went there and a total stranger was going to do surgery on me i think i would be very scared...I went to Austin heart and 4 different Dr. had seen me and up to this day i could not tell you whom did my surgery...my point is Why do we have to change Doctors cause a hospital wants us 2.....Well im not gonna ever leave Dr. Chandna and if hes not avalable well Parikh or Gaalla will be there and those 3 are the best in my book.....So let me see i change Dr. and have a heart prollem i guess Mr. Brown or the hospital can say TAKE A NUMBER THE DR HAS 999 PEOPLE IN FRONT OF YOU OK LETS GO TO THE WAITING ROOM FOR THIS 1 DR. AND WATCH THE FUNERAL HOME MAKE MORE MONEY THAT COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED...THIS IS NO JOKE PEOPLE.....CITIZENS HAS LOST THERE MINDS...ANYWAY DR.CHANDNA IS MY LIFE SAVER AND I WILL NOT CHANGE DOCTORS FOR ANYONE.....

March 14, 2010 at 1:01 p.m.
  • FYI this has nothing to do with money, it has to do with patients rights, the right to choose a hospital and see THEIR cardiologist. Not be told you have to see the cardiologist ON STAFF at CMC and see Drs Parikh, Chandna, and Gaalla when your discharged! How would you like it if your mother went to CMC ER because of chest pain, asked to see Drs Parikh, Chandna or Gaalla and they tell you "they dont practice here"(which they still do)and then they tell you "oh you need to come back on MONDAY to do testing" and send her home. Your mother has a heart attack the following day. This could have been caught prior to if they(CMC)would have allowed THE PATIENT to choose their cardiologist because Drs P/C/G are oncall 7 days a week 24 hours a day and would have come to see their patient in the ER and not sent them home and tell them to come back on Monday!!

March 14, 2010 at 12:57 p.m.
  • I'm sure if there were any issues with these doctors pertaining to ethics or placing the hospital in jeapordy for lawsuits, Brown would have cited that as his reason for shutting the door on them. Instead he stated he didn't believe the citizens of Victoria County deserved to have a choice.

The county judges should look hard at the outcome of this lawsuit. If the doctors win, they should seriously consider removing Brown. His actions could have serious consequences on the hospital.

March 14, 2010 at 12:54 p.m.
  • TxHunter said: "You have a choice use it. GO TO DETAR and you can see anyone of those three. These guys are trying to run another great surgeon out of Victoria. I for one hope they don't succeed this time."

D, is it possible the plaintiffs know something about Dr. Yahagi's competency that we don't?

March 14, 2010 at 12:29 p.m.

March 14, 2010 at 11:58 a.m.
  • If this story is one sided, it's because only one side is talking right now. I'm glad that the information known is being presented and not added speculation. Yes, more will come, but after it's news not before. Great job Avocate!

March 14, 2010 at 11:46 a.m.
  • passingthru, you can check these doctors out on Texas medical board website..any unethical behavior would show up.

March 14, 2010 at 11:28 a.m.
  • Txhunter....the hospital administrator should not have the right to force me or anyone else to make that decision. What he is doing is ethically wrong & potentially illegal. Citizens has a lot to lose as far as reimbursements & accredidation. Mr. Brown had better have his ducks in a row & be darn sure he is in the right. From what has been reported, it doesn't sound like he is in the right.

March 14, 2010 at 11:14 a.m.

March 14, 2010 at 11:02 a.m.
  • "Citizens has removed the doctors from the staff because they do not refer all of their surgical patients to Dr. Yusuke Yahagi, who performs cardiovascular surgeries exclusively at the hospital."

Tx, the doctors who are suing aren't surgeons; they are fighting to make sure that patients have the right to choose what doctor and what hospital are used. I thank the doctors for taking on Citizens Hospital. I don't want someone else to make me choose where and whom will involved in my health care.

I have used both Citizens and DeTar hospital, but had to travel out of town for surgeries that were better performed in larger hospitals/cities.

My right to choose my health care providers is still my right (within the insurance strignent guidelines, of course.) So when a hospital tells my heart doctor, "Your patient can only have this surgeon and no one else," then I have lost my right. Don't want to give up any more rights than I have to, do you?

What other surgeons do you think these doctors have run out of town? I do know of a few who have left and I highly doubt that they were run off by these caring doctors. What purpose would they have to run off good surgeons?

March 14, 2010 at 10:37 a.m.
  • oops, sorry FrancesG...I saw your name but it was Txhunters comment I saw it attched to....

March 14, 2010 at 10:31 a.m.
  • FeancesG that's easy to say but the reality is, alot of insurance companies only allow you to go to Citizens. My dads insurance has Citizens as its in network hospital & that's where he had his surgery. None of the doctors listed performed his surgery.

March 14, 2010 at 10:30 a.m.
  • If there is only one surgeon wouldn't that make the wait for surgery longer?

March 14, 2010 at 10:28 a.m.
  • I want Citizens Hospital to be my hospital. I can pay it out as I have throughout the years, when we needed them. At DeTar they want the money up front, and give you a really hard time at paying it out, on your budget. Citizens is really nice about paying it out. So I feel better going to Citizens.I have paid all my bills at DeTar, and Citizens on my own.

March 14, 2010 at 10:28 a.m.
  • i was a patient at citizens 3 years ago.dr gaalla loveingly saved my life and is still my dr..i had no insurance and for those who need to know,no tax payer paid my bill,i have faithfully paid on it every mounth and have it down to half now,proud to say.we all deserve the right to have a doctor of our choosing.we are losing way too many rights but i choose citizens as it is an excelant hospital and i choose dr gaalla because he is an excelant dr.thanks

March 14, 2010 at 10:04 a.m.
  • LocalGirl you are so right....When you go to the hospital who are they to tell you which doctor you can see / use?...Its bad enough our insurance does....If I have to pay my deductible / coinsurance I want the doctor of my choice..Now if Mr. Brown wants to pay for it then by all means I will see who he wants me to see . :)) At the end of the day, I believe all of this is for the patient care.

March 14, 2010 at 9:39 a.m.
  • Another reason that people (my family included) travel to Austin and Houston for doctors and surgeries at different hospitals.

When you have Mr. Brown (whose judgement is sometimes questionable) deciding what surgeron you must choose instead of you and your family that takes away your control over your health care. Something reeks about this and it's not last night's dinner.

It's bad enough that we have to make sure our insurance provider covers the doctors, labs, hospitals etc., now we have Brown denying doctors to us.

Dr. Parikh is an outstanding doctor and man. This lawsuit is for all of our benefit. Good luck with this "wake up call".

March 14, 2010 at 9:27 a.m.

March 14, 2010 at 9:23 a.m.
  • Zero, Have you / or someone you know every gone to Citizens and the other Cardio Dr.'s are on call and bc you have no Insurance they would not come out and see you? Last time I check it is a County Hospital that Im most Def my hard earn Taxes and yours pays for. Those "Clowns" as everyone calls them have never turned away one person because of their financial problem....As far as Yahagi, he performed surgery on my father he was great and we had a great outcome. Although there are some families out there that cant same the same (Dare Devil)...When you're family member is laying there dying and a doctor comes to you and your family and says we need to do surgery or else....uhm let me guess? YOu say go for it because you want your mother/father her as long as you can have it your way, despite if he cardio doctor has said before he is to weak for surgery... Im just wondering have you looked at all the facts? Maybe you have a part in Administration at Citizens?

March 14, 2010 at 9:20 a.m.
  • Competition is healthy.

But, within the last year, Dr. Yahagi worked on both of my parents. He saved their lives. Dr. Yahagi's reputation for being a skilled surgeon and his obvious concern for all of his patients let me know they were in good hands. I was relieved their cases had been assigned to him.

I'm sure the other surgeons are qualified. Still, I'll seek out Dr. Yahagi if ever we need him again, no matter where he works.

March 14, 2010 at 8:56 a.m.

March 14, 2010 at 8:33 a.m.
  • Well one of those 3 clowns saved my life 10yrs. ago so lets hear more.

March 14, 2010 at 8:02 a.m.
  • Hey, JR: in three years these clowns never referred a single patient to Citizens according to Day's letter? Yet they could cherry-pick patients from Citizens and refer them to Detar? According to your pdfs and info, every single patient was referred to Detar. For over three years? And Citizens has to take this?

Just checking, but I'm sure that Citizens is a public hospital and Detar is a "for profit" corporation owned by doctors. Let's ask the question again: not one single patient from this group was EVER -- FOR THREE YEARS -- referred to Citizens?

JR: ask them the question "do you get kick backs from Detar for referring patients for surgery?" The taxpayers want to know.

March 14, 2010 at 1:26 a.m.
  • These dudes sound like the infamous Dr Rolando Arafiles who recently gave Victoria such good publicity.

March 14, 2010 at 12:58 a.m.