Comments

• The LNRA board of directors meet, Wednesday, April 21 for anyone who is interested and wants to get involved.

April 20, 2010 at 5:48 a.m.
  • Thank you, thank you.

March 23, 2010 at 6:42 a.m.
  • " So quit moaning and growning and look to the future instead of looking back to when there were no people here. Living in the past by trying to keep victoria small and not planning for the needs of the next generation by putting everything off till the last minute is just plain stupid."

Holly doesn't get it...you sure spout a lot of data but you don't have a clue. First off the Lavaca River doesn't produce that much water...sure during floods water roars down the river but most of the time there is very little flow. You must not be a property owner that would be impacted by something like this...if you are then shame on you.

March 21, 2010 at 11:47 a.m.
  • it's more like welcome to the desert after S.A ,houston and dallas get done taking all our water for their use. I guess one good thing would come from shipping all that water back up stream is that they will be putting it back into the rivers as treated waste water from their sewer plants. Recycled water that we will be drinking since we get our water out of the river unless we build lakes to supply us with the water we need here.

March 20, 2010 at 5:24 p.m.
  • Well ex, if they build it, it will be another mud pit, like Texana was during the last drought. Let them foreigners drink mud. Welcome to Texas!!!!

March 20, 2010 at 5:05 p.m.
  • I think all yo naysayers have already forgotten the drought last year when all the lakes and rivers nearly dried up. What are we gonna do for water in 10 years from now when houston, san antonio and any other big city in texas get done sucking up all the ground water in this area???? Plus it would also be another source of water that the farmers could tap for watering crops. I can't believe that any one who went threw last summer could be against another lake or 2 in this region. Victoria should be investigating a lake of it's own to keep us supplied with water. We already have all the gravel pits from 59 south to loop 77 on the north west side of town under the city/county ownership with a river running through there to supply it with water. It seems to me that there would be plenty of places to put these lakes. For the right price all land is for sale. Just how much can a farm make off crops if there is no water to irrigate with???? I bet some of those farmers would be happy to sell after losing there butts last year on their crops. But maybe not after all the federal farm subsidies paid out for all those failed crops. We must all remember one thing when all the people from the high taxed states (california and the north east) relocate to texas because there is no state income tax where will all the water come from to meet the growing demand for water in this region of the state. It would be wise to have the lakes in place now instead of waiting like victoria did on the sewer plant. These lakes would also be a supply of cooling water for new power plants that will be needed in the future as well. So quit moaning and growning and look to the future instead of looking back to when there were no people here. Living in the past by trying to keep victoria small and not planning for the needs of the next generation by putting everything off till the last minute is just plain stupid.

March 20, 2010 at 3:49 p.m.
  • Well, Lake Texana did create lots of upriver swamp....er wetlands, or depending on the rainfall per year, a great mud pit.

Wasn't Lake Texana originally built to supply water to the Bay City nuclear plant? I seem to remember that, and excuse me but that didn't make sense either.

March 19, 2010 at 5:14 p.m.
  • Yes, we do need a public forum. Right now there is some very interesting discussions going on.

March 19, 2010 at 4:07 p.m.
  • If you are interested in helping save the Lavaca River, please become a fan of Save The Lavaca River on Facebook. In order to make a difference, there needs to be a united front. There is some interesting information on the discussion page of that FB site.

Kenneth, you can certainly get some attention now. Thanks for calling.

March 18, 2010 at 10:17 p.m.
  • Here are some questions I have for the Victoria Advocate and the LNRA board of directors. Can you tell me what the economic impact of stage one of Lake Texanna has been for Jackson County since it's existence? I mean we know that LNRA seems to have prospered, but has Jackson County prospered? I do not see all of the full hotels, etc that we were led to believe would come into being. Have the powers that be been good stewards of our resources? I certainly do not mind helping others be prosperous but you know one cannot give from empty pockets. We were given the impression that Lake Texanna would bring a lot of prosperity to Jackson County in stage one. It was appealing to a lot of folks. Kind of exciting for the county. I suppose building it brought temporary jobs. But what has been the economic impact of the lake? I would love to know now that we have thirty years or more of history that we can see how it turned out. We can then project how stage two might turn out. I don't think folks are going to fall for the hype on the second stage. Been there done that. I just don't see how it is going to be of an economic benefit to Jackson County. And that is of course just talking about the economic numbers. Now keep in mind that I have not asked any questions of quality of life issues or environmental issues. Those are whole other issues. But they are all tied to stewardship. Are we being good stewards of our resources. Are we taking care of those things that are under our control? That's the story that I would like for the Victoria Advocate to ferret out. I want to know the meaning behind the meaning. Let the light shine on the process. Then perhaps we can all see clearly.

March 18, 2010 at 1:43 p.m.
  • Since when do board members have the power to take away private land and sell its resources for profits for themselves while benifiting entities in other counties?

While the LNRA was "created for the purpose of controlling, storing, preserving, and distributing the storm and flood waters, and the waters of the rivers and streams of Jackson County, and their tributaries, for all useful and beneficial purposes." There are more than a few contridictions there. '..useful and beneficial.." to who? Those in other counties, big businesses" "Perserving?" Well so much for perserving the Lavaca in its natural state.

My Cinquain Poem on the issue.

Lavaca
    Endagered Tranquility
    Damned for Money
    Rage Against the Greed
    Persevere

March 18, 2010 at 11:21 a.m.
  • Why a new study? What became of the old EIS re Palmetto Bend II?

March 18, 2010 at 11:09 a.m.
  • Where are the cops, if this isn't organized crime I don't know what it is!!

March 18, 2010 at 10:42 a.m.
  • Here we go again. I guess if they couldn't get our land North of Edna via the Trans Corridor they'll get land South of Edna via a resevoir.

Cities like Corpus and Houston maybe even Victoria should already have in place desalination plants that will turn sea water into drinking water. But I guess it's easier to deplete our fresh water supplies first or take our land to create lakes.

I'd like to see an aerial map of the proposed dam and resevoir.

March 18, 2010 at 7:17 a.m.
  • I smell a rat.

March 18, 2010 at 6:18 a.m.