Wednesday, September 03, 2014




Laundry fire forces jail evacuation

By Victoria Advocate
March 23, 2010 at 3:23 a.m.


ADVOCATE STAFF REPORT

GOLIAD - Goliad County Jail staff doused Monday night a small fire that, by policy, forced the evacuation of 29 inmates.

The small fire started in a jail dryer, said Bryan Williamson, chief deputy at the sheriff's office. He said it's likely a towel became snagged inside the dryer and caused a small flame.

"There was a lot of smoke," Williamson said.

Jail staff evacuated the prisoners at about 8:15 p.m. Shortly after - and once jailers doused the small fire with an extinguisher - prisoners were allowed back inside.

No one was injured and all prisoners are accounted for, Williamson said.

SHARE

Comments


THE LATEST

Powered By AdvocateDigitalMedia