Comments

• Anyone who bothered to ask would know Chelle is a young woman on her own, paying her own bills. It makes me proud to see a young person have the COURAGE to put herself out there, honestly, to say " I care about this town and I'm not hiding who I really am".
    Go Chelle! You're already a winner to us!

May 8, 2010 at 11:06 a.m.
  • I might change my mind (again), if Ms.Nickerson have a platform.

April 3, 2010 at 9:30 p.m.
  • I think she should stick to things like filling my coffee cup... Facebook durrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

April 2, 2010 at 5:59 p.m.
  • By the way,has Will really done that bad of a job? Just asking?

April 1, 2010 at 9:44 p.m.
  • anxious, Thanks for the info.Never had any intentions on voting, just never see any thing about Holy except his name.Hell,i might as well run for mayor.Can't believe there is not another credible choice.As much as people gripe about ole Will,looks like he will be around for a while.Somebody step up if you want change.How about the cop that lost to Hagan, where's he at?

April 1, 2010 at 9:24 p.m.
  • I'm ready for a change. Unfortunately, we don't have alot of choices.

April 1, 2010 at 8:06 p.m.
  • Robin Holy, to my recollection, is a handicapped man who wants his ditch mowed by the city. He's been griping about that ditch for a long time. (I think we ought to mow the guy's ditch, myself.)

April 1, 2010 at 8:03 p.m.
  • From the stuff that got posted on here "accidentally" last night that linked to a folder which seemed to contained some of Robin Holy's writings I would think twice about a vote for them...

Just my opinion of course

April 1, 2010 at 7:58 p.m.

April 1, 2010 at 7:27 p.m.
  • That would be a travesty, Ricardo. This guy has been posting around here and maybe every one assumes we all know he is luny/tuny. VERY luney.

April 1, 2010 at 7:11 p.m.
  • Has there been a story on Robin Holy? I know nothing about this person, but i think he/she has my vote by default.

April 1, 2010 at 6:42 p.m.
  • This is absurd! Social media has not increased voter turnout among 18-24 years olds. If you look at a graph for the last 20 years you will see a steady decline until the last ten or so years. During the last ten years there has still been a decline but slightly less of one than the previous years.

Secondly, who gives a crap about the office of Mayor. You can elect a wooden box with a slot cut into the top and it will do just as good, if not better, than human at any age. After all, the office of mayor is nothing more than a human complaint box. There have been cities in southwest Texas that have elected everything from farm animals to dead people to fill the office of mayor. How could a barista be any worse? At least she is conditioned to listening to people and doing all she can to fulfill their requests.

April 1, 2010 at 5:42 p.m.
  • "For my main voting audience, which is 18-to-30-year-olds, it's the best way to keep in touch," she said. "My main objective, even more than winning this election, is getting more young people to vote and getting them involved. Politicians using social media has definitely increased youth voting and participation. It's so hard to get kids away from their computers and cell phones, and so this is a way to bring it directly to them."

Spoken like a true out of touch politician. A 23 year old complaining about "kids these days"? If you're lucky enough to get someone 18 year old who isn't so interested in their future and college that they care about an election, maybe respect them enough to not call them kids.

If you want to do something different, don't fall in to the same traps that professional politicians do.

March 31, 2010 at 11:27 p.m.
  • If she is elected her first action as Mayor will be to move the "secret" meetings from Moo Moo to Shooters.

March 31, 2010 at 7:20 p.m.
  • John W: Will you run for Mayor? You seem pretty level-headed.

March 31, 2010 at 5:32 p.m.
  • Sage1.

Amen.

March 31, 2010 at 4:20 p.m.
  • justamom: I really thought you were intelligent and credible until I read your comment about her not living on her own and her not paying her own bills. You made an incredible fallacy, called a hasty generalization, which makes you seem incredulous. Gather your facts before you make assertions. You said maybe people would take her more seriously if she lived on her own, paid her own bills, and had a good paying job. Since she does in fact live on her own and does in fact pay her own bills, is your concern, then, that she doesn't have a "good paying job"? Perhaps people could take YOU more seriously if you had done the proper research before making inaccurate generalizations. By the way, justamom, what is your income? Does it preclude you from having intelligent thought and leadership? Certainly not. I am not voting in this election, so I don't care either way...just don't say things that are your opinion and present them as fact.

March 31, 2010 at 2:54 p.m.
  • Well this could be very interesting move for Victoria. I mean really how much worse could she do than those before her. Please don't criticizes her for her age. At this point i don't even think experience has much to say. There have been so many poor choices in the last two years we need a shake up. Watch out Mayor A. you got generation Xer.. on your 6, don't know if most of your supporters will be able to get out of the nursing home to vote for you...just kidding im sure you will hand deliver those absentee ballots

March 31, 2010 at 11:36 a.m.
  • aFric- I agree. In my opinion if she was serious about this and wanted to show how youth can help change the local government, then she should have made and stuck to a plan. Maybe interning, taking college classes in buisness, marketing, polysci, economics and speech. Investigating, watching and studying how things work and the concerns of the city. If she had started that at 18 or 19 I would be more apt to listen to her now. BECAUSE it shows a plan and shows she stuck to it. Which would have spoken volumes to me. I have visited her Chelle For Mayor facebook page and find it a disgusting show of "look what I can do." I have read what she has posted and her "ideas". They are nothing more than a party fest downtown. She has no idea. If she lived on her own, had a good paying job and paid her own bills (Instead of living off of mom and dad) maybe more people would take her seriously. How does she understand economics and hardships of Victoria if she has no bills to pay? Excuse me, she may have a cell phone bill. :)

March 31, 2010 at 9:46 a.m.
  • VOX which side of the fence are you on about this girl running for mayor?

March 31, 2010 at 9:26 a.m.
  • I believe there are different ways for the "youth of today" to make changes in their local government, and running for mayor is NOT one of them. I was 23 a short 4 years ago, and I probably thought I knew it all, and could have done so much better than our local politicians...but, now looking back, I can honestly say, I KNEW NOTHING compared to what I know today. I think it is great that Ms. Nickerson is showing that the youth are concerned about local politics, and that it's time for a change. But, I think her running for mayor is showing that her respect for the position is not there. Has she ever even been active in local politics or anything of that nature? I don't know the facts, and I'm not claiming to, I just think that this is the wrong way to "wake up Victoria". Get involved in other more productive ways. And, as for some of the people that comment on VICAD articles, please remember, everyone is entitled to their opinion, stop all the bickering back and forth, your ignorance is showing.

March 31, 2010 at 9:25 a.m.
  • Hey and it's 'property', not proerty. Seriously, give the girl a break...she's doing a lot more than most 20 somethings out there. She may not have the proper experience or 'wisdom' to run a city, but the fact that she's garnered this much attention (as well as quite a few supporters) speaks volumes about our current city government.

Maybe showing her a little support will get our current leaders attention and maybe help them to change their ways a bit. I can't say at this point that I'd want her to be mayor, but if her running causes our city to wake up then yes...I support that 100%. How is that gullible?

March 31, 2010 at 9:15 a.m.
  • Vox I did watch the video several times and laughed. The grammar comment was to bring to light her speaking skills. By the way all who want to support her I have some ocean front proerty in Arizona I will sell(cheap) you if you are this gullible to ride this train to support her.

March 31, 2010 at 8:46 a.m.
  • WIRE5050, did you even watch the video? I thought she did rather well. Oh, and it's 'grammar', not 'grammer'. I'm sure your English teacher would be proud as well. You know what they say about those who live in glass houses.

March 31, 2010 at 8:37 a.m.
  • like umm like umm like umm I am sure her english teacher is proud of her grammer. Justamom is right in her statement. This seem to be a big joke. I guess the first thing she will do if elected is have beer at the council meetings. VCAD will you be doing at least two articles on the other two mayor candiates also?

March 31, 2010 at 8:25 a.m.
  • I applaud you Chelle! We need a new face! You can count on my vote. All of them need to be replaced!

March 31, 2010 at 8:20 a.m.
  • justamom I am native Victoria business woman

that went to school with Will Armstrong~

I have not seen any remarkable contibutions

from his years of service

I like Will as a person, and perhaps the other
    folks in the government held him back in his
    aspirations, but a person can overcome and serve

I was a young woman entering into
    the Real Estate business with a completely
    anti establishment type of service, to

have real estate fees about 1/2 of the locally
    traditional ones,

needless to say, I came under attack from many
    in my profession, that became a rumor mill

regarding my reputation~

thankfully the strength and conviction of my morals
    held strong and I have resounding successful career~

I sugggest that everyone look deeply into
    the convictions of candidates instead of

seeking out gossip~

March 31, 2010 at 7:42 a.m.
  • I commend this young lady for stepping up.I Know anything we get is an improvement over Armstrong with a whole lot less arrogance.

March 31, 2010 at 7:36 a.m.
  • My entire family has discussed this and

THE LUSTER FAMILY SUPPORTS Chelle Nickerson,

and we urge all of our friends to do the same!!!

Carole Luster Mom

Mike/Ana Luster Son/Daughter In Law

Doug Luster Son

March 31, 2010 at 7:29 a.m.
  • justamom, Armstrong has many years of experience, yet he's driving this town right into the ground. At least Ms. Nickerson can admit her mistakes...something that is seriously lacking in our current city government.

March 31, 2010 at 7 a.m.
  • I had the opportunity to hear Chelle Nickerson speak about why she wants to be Mayor. What I heard was a very bright, articulate young lady filled with enthusiasm. She has some fairly good thoughts as to what this city could use.

Does she have a chance against Armstrong? Probably not. Should she have been discouraged from taking a stab at this? Certainly not! In fact, if she is not successful in her quest, SOMEONE on City Council, perphaps the Mayor, should make sure this bright young woman has some kind of opportunity to serve this city. There are tons of boards and committes and stuff--surely there is a place for her to be a part of city government in some way. She should not be discouraged at all. Who knows, in a few years we might just see Chelle as our next mayor, and be the better for it.

March 31, 2010 at 6:35 a.m.
  • Soleil.

Amen.

March 31, 2010 at 5:59 a.m.
  • "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."
    - Derek Bok (1930-), Harvard University President

March 31, 2010 at 2:20 a.m.

• There are kid's who are so intelligent they skip Junior High School and go to their first year of college. If a person has a high intelect
    there is no reason not to put it to good use...this Woman may seem young in years but she deserves a chance to show
    her intelligence quotient. I would vote for her in a heart beat..

March 31, 2010 at 12:40 a.m.
  • Justamom.

Ok. Geanie Morrison doesn't have a college degree and she is the State Rep. And your point is...........?

March 31, 2010 at 12:21 a.m.
  • I'm sorry, but this girl is making a mockery out of the election. A 23 year old Barista, with no education, no wisdom and no life experiences thinks she can run a city? Sounds like a game she and her friends thought up one night at a party. She doesn't realize the cause and effect of her facebook account, but we are suppose to believe she knows the cause and effect of the decisions she makes for the city? C'mon this is a joke.
    Will Armstrong all the way.....

March 31, 2010 at 12:11 a.m.