Comments

• why hate on Best Buy...get a life people.

April 3, 2010 at 8:27 p.m.
  • i was at bestbuy this past weekend and what i observed and heard from some employees trying to make a sell in the computer and tv section brought my attention---those young employees new nothing about what they were trying to sell----i was just stunned and walk away without interfering---employees should be better trained--alot of playing around at the service desk though

March 31, 2010 at 7:30 p.m.
  • irriated_texan is right.I retract my statement.It was somewhat misleading.A cracked LCD or plasma panel doesn`t mean it`s time for a new unit. If you have the tools,the time,access to service information, the know how and confidence. You don`t need an extended warranty or a protetction agreement. I am a professional electronics technician with 20 years experience with my own buisness in electronics repair. I myself do not buy extended warranties on TVs,computers,or any other electronic device becuase I don`t have to. For the 1% of the population like me and irritated_texan extended warranties and out of warranty repair labor cost do not apply for electronics ,but for the other 99% of the population(that has no electronics experience)I hope the information that I provided was helpful.

March 31, 2010 at 2:36 p.m.
  • "It`s sad but true.. if you crack your display panel on any electronic device,it`s time for a new unit."

Was just noting that the statement is absurd and misleading. Nothing more or less :-)

March 31, 2010 at 1:38 p.m.
  • mistake #1 was even shopping at best buy, especially for a laptop

mistake #2 was buying a best buy warranty, the biggest rip off around

March 31, 2010 at 12:20 p.m.
  • I`m sure that the customer would have been fine with BestBuy saying."I know you bought an extended warranty , but order the screen from Ebay and fix it yourself."
    The information I provided was strictly for warranty/damage protection issues in regaurds to manufacture,retailer and customer relationships and extended warranties,not for do it yourselfers. Anything can be fixed with a little time and research but when you paid someone to handle that for you time,cost and the quality of repair are of the essence.

March 31, 2010 at 12:09 p.m.
  • Samething goes with laptop screens.........replacement screens can be had from Ebay for 100-200 dollars, depending on the model. Of course this is sensible on higher end laptops, and/or you have the competence to make the repair yourself.

March 31, 2010 at 11:38 a.m.
  • I would like to correct Apache's statement of "any electronic device"...........it is worth the cost to repair screens on portable devices such as handheld gaming systems, cellphones........etc....I have done this many, many times.

March 31, 2010 at 11:35 a.m.
  • I absolutely HATE going into Best Buy...BUT I do since it's convenient and the prices are low. It IRRITATES me, however, to see all the Best Buy kids just standing and horsing around instead of helping customers.

These kids really could care less about being there or helping customers and are not knowledgable about anything except their weekend plans - and it shows.

And it's a shame...somebody should be training and supervising these kids. In the end, it's not the kids' fault - it's the lack of quality management.

March 31, 2010 at 10:04 a.m.
  • I own a local TV repair shop here in Victoria and I see this scenario atleast twice a week. It is true that a manufactures warranty or an extended warranty company will not cover what is call "customer abuse." Lcd and plasma display panels are so delicate that they will crack under minimal impact. The problem is that replacement display panels cost a service center more than what a new replacement unit will. I have a room in my shop full of LCD And plasma TVs that are not worth reparing due to cracked panels. It`s sad but true.. if you crack your display panel on any electronic device,it`s time for a new unit. Like Anne Clem and her $400 laptop and $80 warranty she felt comfortable with her purchace until the unit was damaged. You have to ask questions and make sure you understand the entire coverage that you purchased. As a 20 year veteran in the consumer electronics field here in Victoria I know the problems with BIG BOX retailers like BestBuy,WalMart,Sams,and Target. The kids that work there are trained to do what they do and say what they have to say to make the sale. They have very little experience in customer service in consumer electronics, and can care less whether you are there or not. You may pay a little more buying from a localy owned electronics dealer but you will see a big diffrence in honesty and customer service.BestBuy claims to offer service after the sale but here in Victoria they offer no local service on electronics.All service work is either shipped off for repair or outsourced to a third party contractor that has nothing to do with BestBuy.These processes can take weeks before your unit is returned or repaired.Local retailers like G&A Electronics,VCS,Lacks,or Kamins are often overlooked but they do offer local service after the sale. I don`t sell electronics I only do repair work so I get to see both sides of the retailer and customer relationship. Think of it this way. If you buy a new car and you have a crash and damage it,the manufactures warranty nor the extended warranty will not cover the repairs. An insurance company is responsible for the repair cost. The key words here are "WARRANTY" and "INSURANCE." Insurance starts the day you purchace the policy and the piece of equipment covered. Extended warranty starts when the first part of the manufactures warranty expires. Don`t confuse warranty with insurance. Warranty covers workmanship. Insurance covers damage. If you plan to purchase a new TV or electronics device make sure you understand these diffrences. Just a final bit of information to protect you LCD or plasma TV. Wi controllers and LCD/Plasma TVs do not mix. You have no idea how many Wi controllers damage newer TVs. Hope this information helps anyone that has recently purchased a newer type TV or who has plans to make a purchase.

March 31, 2010 at 8:06 a.m.
  • You are right, miaud032244. One should read EVERY word of any document they sign, because the money to pay for any warranty will not come out of the business' pocket, but the consumer's. Never take ANYONE'S word that you are signing what they say you are. I do hope Ms. Clem will be wiser next time. BUYER BEWARE.

On a side note, not everybody knows this, but it saved me a bundle when I had to get a television repaired recently: American Express will double a manufacturer's warranty up to one full year if the purchase is made on their card. I don't know if Master Card or Visa has similar coverage, but it would be worth checking into. I did not pay A SINGLE penny for the repair, thanks to American Express. Something to consider for future purchases, perhaps.

March 30, 2010 at 10:38 p.m.
  • I personally have had the worst experiences with customer service at Best Buy. They are very rude and have NO customer service skills. They don't even TRY to lift a finger to help you or give any kind of advice. And feel sorry for you if you have to take something back. You get the worst help and "kindness" ever!! I stick to ordering online rather than going into the Victoria store!!

March 30, 2010 at 10:37 p.m.
  • Regardless of what happened, what I want to know is how a $400 computer would require an $800 repair just to fix the monitor.

Something is definitely amiss there...

March 30, 2010 at 10:17 p.m.
  • I honestly don't feel sorry for people who don't read the fine print on Extended Warrenty. What you "think" doesn't apply in most cases. If your in doubt, have it explained to you line by line if necessary. I feel the same for the people who bought houses with varable mortgages and now are paying the price. If you can't read what your signing, shame on you. This bailout of people who make dumb mistakes just isn't right. "I didn't know" just doesn't cut it.

March 30, 2010 at 10:01 p.m.