Comments

• What a non-issue! The companies who produce canned and other prepared foods already dictate how much salt is in them, so we have no say in the matter. Take the salt out, and allow people to use their salt shakers as they see fit.

May 6, 2010 at 7:44 a.m.
  • I often get criticized for speaking my mind in the comments that I post. Usually it takes forever to type 10 lines because I have to check and double check what I am typing to make sure someone out there that doesn't agree with me (and there are plenty of those) can't shred everything I just typed because there is a typo, or they think they know way more than me. So, to remedy this, since most of you know where I stand in "The Salt Wars", I thought I would back up my "distaste" of large regulating governments with some quotes from certain individuals that have more clout than little 'ol me...

"Each man must for himself alone decide what is right and what is wrong, which course is patriotic and which isn't. You cannot shirk this and be a man."
    - Mark Twain

"The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent."
    - Abraham Lincoln

"A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away."
    - Barry Goldwater

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
    - Thomas Jefferson

Land of the free, not land of the free except...

May 4, 2010 at 2:23 p.m.
  • I see your ideological point Windy, but don't you think it's in the best interests of the nation as a whole to do everything possible to help curtail the impact of such bad life choices? The types of choices people make around eating unhealthy don't just affect themselves, they can place a burden on the economy, encourage the food industry to provide us with unhealthy foodstuffs, impact health care assets and impact the way their children treat themselves.

May 4, 2010 at 8:44 a.m.
  • Code..."But Windy some people ARE most definitely stupid, ignorant, disrespectful of their minds and bodies, greedy, may have mental issues and are unable or uneducated enough to make sensible life decisions."

That's very true, but it's NOT the government's purview to watch over the stupid, ignorant, disrespectful of their minds and bodies, greedy, etc from the cradle to the grave. At some point, WE have to be responsible for our lives. There are some countries around the globe in which the governments believe the people shouldn't make any decisions, but this isn't one of them -- YET!

May 4, 2010 at 8:33 a.m.
  • I'm waiting for the day that one is required to step on a scale to purchase something from a vending machine or sticking an arm in an automated blood pressure machine to buy a hot dog from a vendor on the street...you laugh. It's coming!!!!

May 4, 2010 at 5:23 a.m.
  • If that's the case then regulating salt would actually empower me.

May 3, 2010 at 10:13 p.m.
  • I'll say it again. Salt in foods sold to the public need to be regulated. It is not a matter of our choice when it is already added to the food before you get it. That actually takes our choice away from us.
    The government regulates every other kind of substance that is proven to be hazardous to our health, so why should salt be different? It's a natural substance, but when used in excess, over a long period of time, and curtailing it is beyond our control, then it is dangerous.
    The government is not trying to come into our homes to tell us how much salt we can add to our food. It is trying to put more of the control into our hands.

May 3, 2010 at 10:01 p.m.
  • But Windy some people ARE most definitely stupid, ignorant, disrespectful of their minds and bodies, greedy, may have mental issues and are unable or uneducated enough to make sensible life decisions.

I have no problem with the implementation of salt intake regulation in the food industry -after all you can always carry a salt cellar around with you. ;-)

May 3, 2010 at 9:42 p.m.
  • Are they trying to limit how much I salt my food in the privacy of my home or the amount of the salt in fast food, which I can salt myself?

May 3, 2010 at 9:22 p.m.
  • I'm sorry I can't make this font any larger, but NO! I continue to wonder if there is ANYTHING in our lives the bureaucrats in government don't want to control. People aren't stupid. We know that too much salt in our food is unhealthy. However, it's not as unhealthy as too much government in our lives.

May 3, 2010 at 8:17 p.m.
  • I see "mothers" buying their kids "Little Debbie's" snacks before they go to school, full of sugar. The problem is parents being too lazy to fix decent breakfasts and dinners. A fast food lunch, once in a while, isn't bad but a steady diet is going to kill you. Kick the kids out after school to play, walk, run instead of sitting and watching the boob tube, playing electronic games. It's isn't the Government's responsibility to watch what your kids eat, it's yours!

May 3, 2010 at 6:55 p.m.