Comments

• Should the $2,500 campaign contribution from TREPAC to Tom Halepaska have been included in this story? Considering recent events, it seems so.

www.victoriaadvocate.com/weblogs/para...

www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2010/no...

November 18, 2010 at 10:56 a.m.
  • BSspotter: A common oversight, and no harm intended or done. Best Regards.

May 10, 2010 at 2:26 p.m.
  • Robert, my apologies. I saw the same date, amount, address & name, but I overlooked the "Jr".

May 10, 2010 at 2:04 p.m.
  • BSspotter: Many thanks. In order to clarify, I contributed $1K to Councilman Halepaska's campaign. My Father on his own accord contributed the same amount.

May 10, 2010 at 1:52 p.m.
  • Per Mr. Hewitt’s request, I withdraw my comments regarding Mr. Halepaska’s donors. I have no verifiable evidence of wrongdoing by any of those donors or undue benefits received as a result of their past political donations. I view their donations (including Mr. Hewitt’s $2,000 donation) strictly as a public endorsement of Mr. Halepaska’s philosophies. These names were extracted from public documents simply to apply the same innuendo used by the Advocate. Robert Hewitt, Jr has no more influence on Tom Halepaska than James Wayne has on Jeff Williams.

However, my position on the Advocate’s selective reporting of large donations has not changed. The conspicuous omission from their pre-primary article of two $5,000 donations to another candidate isn’t consistent with this election-changing article, which very likely swung 60 critical votes from Williams to Halepaska. This only makes it that much more important to balance their reporting with my own.

May 10, 2010 at 10:52 a.m.
  • i'd really like to know what tax rates wayne is paying compared to other properties around him

May 9, 2010 at 7:36 a.m.
  • To BSspotter. Aside for a campaign contribution to Councilman Halepaska, which the last time I checked was my constitutionally protected right, I can assure you that no favors, promises, Board positions, etc. have now or ever either been promised or changed hands. Neither is there any expectation of favor, and were even the whiff of such a thing came up, I most assuredly would turn it down flat. So, with your post of May 6, 2010 at 10:07 a.m in mind, specifically your allegation of "6) Robert Hewitt, Jr when ____________", I most humbly ask for a retraction. My sympathies that the election results were not to your satisfaction.

May 9, 2010 at 2:10 a.m.
  • 5K is buying an election in Victoria?!? Gee, maybe I should move back.....

Armstrong is an idiot.....go, as the ViCad always adresses him as, mentally disabled guy!!!!! Maybe I'll send Mr Holy a check.

May 8, 2010 at 1:34 a.m.
  • Halepaska said: "... Mr. Williams, I guess, is representing a special interest that might not be in the best interest of the rest of the citizens."

For what it's worth, Mr. Williams has represented my interests every time he's stepped foot in the council chambers. I think he'll continue to do that, even if it conflicts with Mr. Wayne's wishes.

May 7, 2010 at 10:28 a.m.
  • Lamppost: "Ha! Like that motion that Mr. Hagan made last year to cut the City’s Gas budget because everyone knows that gas would not go back up again."

Good observation, but not exactly over-budgeting -- maybe under-budgeting. But hey, you're trying. Watch out, though, the Cynicism Police (holein1) are on patrol. And I'm not sure why you think it's funny ("Ha!").

---
    Lamppost: "Oh! You mean the perfectly legal actions by the City Manager that saved the City millions?"

No, I'm referring to the action he took against the will of the council. I believe Truman was very vocal about this.

---
    Lamppost: "Oh! You mean the same VEDC that was recognized as a premier economic development organization by the Texas Economic Development Council."

Sure, but does that make it "essential", which was the context of that answer? I saw that they recently put a "Tumbleweed Crossing" sign up on Lone Tree. What's that about anyway?

---
    Lamppost: "What a JOKE!"

Thanks, I love entertaining insiders.

May 6, 2010 at 9:34 p.m.
  • Off the top of my head (city/county)....

1) What functions of our Local government are run below board?
    - Sale of Hospital Drive behind closed doors without a public vote
    - City Managers dubious use of funds to extend land purchase contract
    - Focusing on tax rate instead of budget dollars

2) What functions of our Local government are run [outside] its essential scope?
    - VEDC
    - Citizens Healthplex
    - “Boots” Campaign

3) What functions of our Local government are run without reason?
    - Pending Airline extension w/o UHV commitment
    - Sewer plant fiasco, including land purchase
    - CAD Board nominations
    - Over-budgeting with foreseeable sales tax shortfall

4) What functions of our Local government are not run out in the open?
    - See #1

5) What functions of our Local government are over budget?
    - This was meant to make the point that budgets should stay relatively flat. 6% - 10% annual increases are unacceptable and compound into huge increases in just a few years.

May 6, 2010 at 8 p.m.
  • The criminal history dirt I mean, not a political contribution?

May 6, 2010 at 7:24 p.m.
  • Hey Lamppost,

Since you did such a good job ferreting out Matt Ockers criminal history, where is the the dirt on Jeff Williams?

May 6, 2010 at 7:22 p.m.
  • vox said, "Is a hike and bike trail more likely to attract business, or would it have been better to not spend that money and lower business tax?"

Not the sole reason, but considering that companies look for what communities can offer their workforce I would say it has a bearing. What was the total cost of the hike & bike trail?

vox said, "Is $750,000 on a marketing campaign to promote the newly created 'boot capital of texas' more likely to attract business than using than money to promote what already exists?"

I may be wrong, but isn't that money being used to promote Victoria, not just one event that hasn't even happened yet?

I think the lesson to be learned out of all of this is that not doing something when it should have been done will ultimately cost way more down the road. Had we been spending the money to promote Victoria in the first place we wouldn't have to play catch up with a $750,000 campaign. Had we not stopped the development of greenbelts and other public use areas then a hike and bike trail wouldn't be such a "useless" project.

May 6, 2010 at 6:09 p.m.
  • Of course it costs money for infrastructure and essential services, the problem is that is not what are city is spending our money on.

Are millions of dollars to expand Airline (which I agree hasn't happened yet, but the fact that it is even being considered should cause alarm) to no where a better way to attract business than lowering business taxes?

Why is this so difficult for some to understand? This is exactly the reason why I'm voting for Mr. Williams--he's for spending our money on ESSENTIAL SERVICES and making it easier for businesses to want to come and stay here. All these pet projects do nothing to attract business.

May 6, 2010 at 5:35 p.m.
  • i'm sorry, but lower taxes is not a plan. i hate paying taxes as much as the next guy, but i also know that it costs money to have the kind of services, infrastructure, etc needed to attract business.

and the source for startek's reason for leaving is?

May 6, 2010 at 5:26 p.m.
  • holein1, that's easy...lower taxes!!!

You go shopping when there's a sale, or whoever has the best price. Business moves in when the taxes are low.

Sure we offer incentives, but it's akin to offering a credit card with no interest for a few months, then having a crazy interest rate when the promotion expires.

Businesses take our incentives, stay til they run out, then leave. See startek.

May 6, 2010 at 5:16 p.m.
  • ok BS, what is your suggestion on attracting new business and expansion?

May 6, 2010 at 5 p.m.
  • "Tommy boy, Tommy boy, you crack me up, really!"

But his Buffalo Chips are scrumptious.

May 6, 2010 at 4:08 p.m.
  • holein1 said: "have you become so cynical and jaded that you have to try and spot BS in everything?"

No, I'm skeptical of the BS that's in plain sight, and I call it when I see it. (Perhaps I should just shut up and move to Telferner, huh.) I'm encouraged by individual citizens who're taking a stand against our current body of government that's bent on defying economic law by "attracting" business & growth with high taxes. I want a natural & sustainable economy that doesn't require massive debt. Something's gotta give.

---
    holein1 said: "I forgot what it is that you actually like about our community."

Really? I'm not the one on a mission to turn it into something it's not. I know it makes it easier for you to peg people like me as anti-growth, but that's just not the case. I want smart, responsible growth, and I want Victorians to come out of it without being saddled with massive debt and property tax increases.

Victoria's location makes it a potential funnel for commerce, but businesses are smart enough to know there's a turd in the center of the Tootsie Pop we're dangling in front of them. We have to establish long-term, business-friendly economic conditions instead of gambling on short-term incentives. That has to start with our attitude on spending. Local government can't be everything to everybody. They need to be lean and mean essential services machines.

May 6, 2010 at 4:06 p.m.
  • BSspotter, have you become so cynical and jaded that you have to try and spot BS in everything? I forgot what it is that you actually like about our community.

May 6, 2010 at 3:32 p.m.
  • No comment, lol!

Tommy boy, Tommy boy, you crack me up, really!

May 6, 2010 at 3:27 p.m.
  • What's "doom and gloom" about demanding that all functions of government be run above board, within its essential scope, within reason, out in the open, and under budget? That's all I'm asking for. But for some reason, folks who demand accountable government are cast as "do nothings". It's possible to have progress without suckling from the so-called progressive, borrow-n-spend, micro-Keynesian teat. We're in the midst of the eternal struggle between the unintended consequences of ever-deceptive central economic planning schemes and the self-deterministic tenets of free-market capitalism. The lines are being drawn, and I think a growing number of Victorians are weary of the politically expedient actions of our central planners and the requisite looters.

May 6, 2010 at 3:22 p.m.
  • WOW talk about being out in left field! The story was about Slick Willie and his lap dogs running scared. Will Armstrong should be ashamed of him self but we all know thats the kind of person he is.

A vote for Armstrong or Halepaska is a vote to spend money on what the rich people in Victoria want.

A vote for Jeff Williams is a vote for whats best for all that live in Victoria!

As for the Roth, Krueger thing lets look at it this way. Krueger built Fire Station 4. Its falling apart. They still have not fixed all thats wrong with it. The city knew this and still gave the contract to build the next station to Kruger. If anyone is in someones pocket its the MAYOR!!!!!!
    And maybe a department head!

May 6, 2010 at 2:19 p.m.
  • The Ben Jordan project had the purpose of supplying a much-needed route east to the State-planned/-funded Loop 463, otherwise known as 463 Street. It's completely disingenuous to say that anyone opposed to the Airline extension is opposed to ALL road construction. Roads are an essential service. In fact, I'm disappointed that the materials for the Red River make-over were downgraded. BUT, it's absolutely silly to fund a road into a pasture if there's no commitment from UHV to build out there. That road can be built more quickly than a campus, so it only makes sense to not break ground until there's a tangible reason.

Ah, the old "if you don't like it, why don't you move" shtick. Well, how about if you want to run up debt you'll never be able to repay, move to California? They progressed themselves into regression. I want growth and an improved quality of life, but only at a rate the taxpayers and market can bear -- not at self-defeating rates determined by the whims of central planners.

Not everyone views the world from a golf course.

May 6, 2010 at 1:27 p.m.
  • perhaps a better road expansion example would be Ben Jordan. it was a road to nowhere and now there are 3 new neighborhoods with homes selling in excess of $170,000 adding to the tax base. i imagine that there will be more to come in the next 10 years, perhaps some apartment complexes to serve the expanding college student body.

i seem to remember that years ago there was a lot of hulabaloo about the building of Loop 463. Yep, that sure seems like a waste of tax payer dollars now, doesn't it?

if you don't want to see your city expand and grow, that fine, just move to telfner, bloomington, dacosta, or any other two-bit used to be town around here. otherwise, get out of the way of progress. what a bunch of cry baby do nothings. i'm glad that none of you are on the city council or county commissioners court, or, God forbid, donate your time on a local board of directors. if you were then Victoria would be a ghost town.

May 6, 2010 at 12:58 p.m.
  • vox, yes it is absurd. The results on the various polls were all over the map in results and vote counts, but I cherry-picked them to the best of my ability. ;)

May 6, 2010 at 12:25 p.m.
  • Lamppost: I wonder if this same debate was had when Navarro was extended way back when? Or maybe Laurent? Or Rio Grande?"

If it was under the same pretenses and economic conditions, I sure hope there was debate. These things need to be put through the public filter. I'm sure those roads had somewhere to go -- like Houston, Bloomington, Hallettsville and beyond -- and a pressing need was demonstrated to improve upon them over time. As it stands, the Airline extension would be a road to nowhere, but that's a dead horse.

May 6, 2010 at 12:22 p.m.
  • I think you guys may have taken a turn for the ridiculous by using Advocate polls in your arguments. I seriously doubt the few hundred voters (at most) that participate are representative of the city.

Oh and Lamppost, the difference between those roads and airline is that they connect to other cities...yes, even way back when. There wasn't an airport in the way to stop expansion of those roads either. I'd like to introduce you to Hwy 59, which takes care of travel in that direction pretty nicely, and it actually goes somewhere.

May 6, 2010 at 12:10 p.m.
  • Or these--

Should the city spend $8 million to extend Airline Road?
    No 68%

How effective will the city's new boot ad campaign be?
    Very 5%
    Somewhat 23%
    Not at all 71%

Do you think the city manager's evaluation should be done in public?
    No 37%

Do you think the city of Victoria needs an aggressive marketing plan?
    No. 76%

Should the city have offered incentives to Star Tek?
    No 65%

May 6, 2010 at 11:48 a.m.
  • Lamppost,

Of course there's a bidding process, but what good is being the potential lowest bidder if the government isn't funding projects? For instance, one could argue that Krueger & Roth donating to the same candidate cancels out the influence, while another could argue that it only doubles the influence to initiate otherwise debatable construction projects, such as the Airline extension. I also see a distinction between making a donation for future benefit at another's expense and making a donation to prevent future unwarranted detriment. Some methods of protecting your interests are more noble than others, but granted, nobility is definitely relative in this case.

I know nothing of the size of James Wayne's sphere of influence, but from what I've seen, he doesn't seem to be looking for handouts. If he wants to charge outrageous rents and craft cumbersome, one-sided lease agreements, and the market will bear it, congratulations to him. High prices & hassles will spawn competition in the long run.

The rebidding fiasco seemed justified from my perspective, and I've received no money from Roth Construction. Sure, it was a hassle, but I appreciated the deliberate & visible way in which it was approached. I've seen Roth's fingerprints on several campaign finance reports, so I can't speculate on who owes what to whom.

I guess it boils down to whose "cohorts" wish to leech off the taxpayer the least, huh.

May 6, 2010 at 11:31 a.m.
  • I think 99% of the population has a grudge against the city...with the way they do business who wouldn't?

May 6, 2010 at 11:05 a.m.
  • Lamppost asks:
    "[A]re the people that gave money to Mr. Pozzi involved in law suits against the... County?"

I can't say for sure. I do know that a few of Pozzi's donors are being sued in their capacity as agents of the County hospital, which is just a fun bit of trivia.

From what I know of Williams, he will not feel a sense of beholdenment to Wayne's exclusive interests. I'm sure Wayne knows Williams is not for sale and made the donation merely to support a candidate who has the analytical foresight to avoid potentially litigious situations. Is it at all possible that Wayne understands that Williams is a genuine advocate for the taxpayer and realizes what's good for the taxpayer is also good for him -- such as lower property taxes and unfettered commerce?

Considering Halepaska's philosophies on government, I don't like to see donations from...
    1) Texas Association of Realtors when an Airline extension is up for debate
    2) Elton Calhoun of Regional Steel when rebar is needed for road construction
    3) Don Krueger when ____________
    4) John Roberts & James McHaney when VicAd is writing articles like this
    5) Ben Heilker of Victoria Air when the City has lots of cubic feet of air to cool
    6) Robert Hewitt, Jr when ____________
    7) Milton Greeson of Atzenhoffer when the City operates a fleet of cars
    8) Bette Jo Buhler when an Airline extension is up for debate
    9) John Clegg when ____________

... to name a few. The influence of this cast of characters is likely to be pervasive, to say the least. I'm not suggesting these people lack moral character or intend harm, but I do trust one $5,000 donation from a James Wayne more than a cumulitive total of $5,000 from 20 of these folks.

May 6, 2010 at 10:07 a.m.
  • Your conclusion was a "politial ambush" Perhaps, that opinion may be true, but inconsistancies in reporting don't make your opinion a fact.

May 6, 2010 at 12:12 a.m.
  • Shades, how does presenting ignored donations of similar size and time not support my conclusion that VicAd's reporting is not consistent? Please explain.

May 5, 2010 at 11:58 p.m.
  • Regarding Pozzi's contributions---your data does not support your conclusions---perhaps Mr. Williams would have been best served by turning down that money. That would have gotten my vote.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll vote for Pozzi....in November.

May 5, 2010 at 11:38 p.m.
  • VicAdStaff,

The deficient article in question was published a few days before the Primary Election, making its timing similar to this article. It would have been appropriate to mention that $10,000 came from executives/owners of a single business, don't ya think.

Refresher: www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2010/fe...

I'll disclose anything you'd like once you disclose all McHaney and Roberts family donations to local candidates & Advocate commingling on influential boards/committees so we can all better understand the Advocate's "role" in local politics. My civically-motivated support of citizen-candidates has no bearing on the validity of the facts I've presented. I'm no more of a threat to your publication or local establishment than the public record. I only seek to spackle the cracks.

May 5, 2010 at 11:22 p.m.
  • BS,
    This story is about the city council campaign spending reports. The city election is Saturday.
    The story is not about the county elections, which are in November. That's a different story for another time.
    To be fair to our readers, your role in the campaign will need to be clear if you're going to continue to campaign on our forum. Please feel free to call the newsroom during regular business hours to discuss.

May 5, 2010 at 10:55 p.m.
  • I find it disturbing that VicAd is running a hit piece on Jeff Williams for receiving a single, presumably-stringless $5,000 donation while failing to mention Don Pozzi's multiple $5,000+ donations in its article dedicated to -- what else -- political contributions. That was a great opportunity to mention the following donations to Pozzi:

2010 Campaign:
    $5,000 – 11/10/09 – Heber S. Lacerda – CEO of Regency Nursing & Rehab
    $5,000 – 1/12/10 – Jim West – Owner of Jet Maintenance
    $5,000 – 2/8/10 – Donald Kivowitz – Founder & Chairman of Regency Nursing & Rehab
    [ Lacerda-Kivowitz: www.corporationwiki.com/graphs/roamer... ]

2006 Campaign:
    $3,000 – 2/7/06 – Jim West – Owner of Jet Maintenance
    $10,000 – 2/16/06 – R.W. Briggs – Briggs Ranches, Fordyce Holdings ($24M+ on CAD books*)
    [ *Note: James Wayne has about $20M on CAD books ]

2002 Campaign:
    $5,000 – 10/22/01 – Jim West – Owner of Jet Maintenance
    $5,000 – 11/29/01 – R.W. Briggs – Briggs Ranches, Fordyce Holdings ($24M+ on CAD books)

There are a dozen or so Victorians in the $2-4k Club over those 3 campaigns.

---
    I think it's obvious that VicAd is simply carrying out its protectionist agenda with this snipe disguised as news reporting. Sure, James Wayne is a shrewd, competitive & virtually-unlikeable business man, but he is far from being an insider and is supporting a genuine outsider, which explains the targeting by the insiders' mouthpiece. For shame. I wonder if we should expect more political ambushes from this once-esteemed publication. I wonder.

May 5, 2010 at 10:49 p.m.
  • Crystal,

Not sure where you get your informtion but it is incorrect. I know several city employees. Some in pretty high positions with city. No employee has lost their job. As people are retiring or leaving for other reasons the positions are not being filled at this time. Employees were given up to a 3% raise. Yes I am not happpy with the city manager getting a large raise, either. Nobody is getting theri pay cut.

May 5, 2010 at 9 p.m.
  • Where there is smoke, there is fire. The only way to get a really bad reputation like this, is to be a really bad person.

May 5, 2010 at 8:01 p.m.
  • I agree with rdela5. The City Manager's evaluation should be BEFORE the election. Why after the election? Armstrong, what are you NOW trying to hide, besides the fact that the City Manager was given a 16% raise when other city employees were given none; and, a lot of employees in Victoria are losing their jobs, getting their pay cut back or getting their hours reduced; putting an even greater burden on the rest of the citizens of Victoria. Or is it just the fact that once again you are strong arming members of your own council with your gestapo actions.

I think it is time we change the good ole boy mentality of Mr. Armstrong's yes men and get people in office that care about this city and not their own personal power.

May 5, 2010 at 7:40 p.m.
  • I'm sure if I was the largest individual properity tax payer in the city I would be more than a little "sue happy". Most of you have complained about the VCAD and the tax rate. If you had the means, would you sue?

I don't know James Wayne or Jeff Williams, nor do I know Halepaska or Armstrong. I try not to listen to rumors.

James Wayne is one of the most successful business men in Victoria, fact. Sometimes you have to do things that others might consider cold hearted, mean, ruthless or callous in order to acheive the success you want. Doing what is right and what is easy is not always the same thing. We witnessed it earlier this year with the sewer plant.

Accusing someone of trying to "buy" an election by making a $5,000 donation is not only ridiculous, but as a citizen of Victoria I find it offensive. I should send that clipping in to Leno. 5K is a political buyout!?! What year is this?

I guess the good thing to come out of this article is that the cost of buying the mayor is known.

May 5, 2010 at 4:47 p.m.
  • A lawsuit against the city?

I thought it was against VCAD, and as we all know both the city and county claim that the Appraisal district operates and is independent of the city council and county commissioners court.

At least that is what council members and commissioners have stated if I remember correctly.

May 5, 2010 at 4:06 p.m.
  • I agree that Mr. Williams has stood his ground and spoken his beliefs before council long before Wayne's endorsement\contribution. I believe it is more of an Halepaska v. Wayne history issue. I do know personally what kind of businessman Mr. Wayne is, and it will be hard for most voters to separate the qualities and ideas that Mr. Williams espouses versus his now public association with Victoria's "least-likeable citizen" Mr. Wayne. Overall - I think this is a tough article for the Williams' camp.

May 5, 2010 at 12:47 p.m.
  • Once again the reporter for the Victoria Advocate did not do his research before posting his article.

First of all, it is of public record that Mr. Halepaska filed a lawsuit against James Wayne at which Mr. Halepaska did NOT prevail. Mr. Halepaska forgot to mention how much HE had to pay out for HIS legal fees.

Second, Mr. Halepaska also forgot to mention that he recieved a large contribution of $5,000 from the Victoria Board of Realtors, but he is only reporting $2,500. It appears to me that Mr. Halepaska is not a very honest and reputable man.

Third of all, Mr. Williams has been going up against the City Council and fighting for his rights and the rights of the citizens of Victoria way before Mr. Wayne's contribution.

I have had the previlage of knowing Mr. Williams and feel he is very passionate about what he believes in.

It is of my opinion that Mr. Halepaska is better off behind the counter making cookies. I think it is time for new faces and fresh ideas! Vote for Mr. Williams on Saturday, May 8, 2010.

May 5, 2010 at 9:35 a.m.
  • Dancingmom, good point. Bashing local businesses is not a good way to get re-elected. If this practice becomes consistent, who is going to be bashed next? Lest we forget, whether or not we agree on all of Wayne's actions, he is not only a local businessman, but a local citizen. It is not like Wayne is a criminal or something.

I think this goes much deeper that just a person donating to a candidate. The reaction of Halepaska, as reported, becomes a threat to each citizen of Victoria. Does this mean that if I donate to Williams or Nickerson, I am going to be brought into this whole mudslinging?

May 5, 2010 at 9:16 a.m.
  • Before you start juding James Wayne for having cars towed from a childs funeral you should have all the facts. He did not have the cars towed, he had given the church permission to park in the parking lot for the child had been a guest in his home numerous times. A local towing company took it upon themselves to have cars towed.

Let's get back on the subject of the articel--the election. Who cares if Mr. Wayne made a contribution to a candidate. Is Halepaska that scared that he is going to loose that he has to bash a local businessman.

May 5, 2010 at 8:56 a.m.
  • My comments have nothing to do with Wayne or Williams, but rather this loose lipped, ridiculous excuse for a Mayor. What in the world is the nutt talking about? He is such a hipocrit! His ridiculous statements in this article make me want to puke! "A little 'ol city council election"? WHAT?

If that old buzzard was given 5K then he would be clicking his heels and jumping for joy. Someone please keep this guy out of the papers. His nonsense is down right laughable. I use to read this rag for comedic value, but now I just want to cry when I hear the "Face of City Government" making statements such as the ones printed in this here fish wrappin's.

Armstrong you cease to amaze me. Someone please muzzle this guys soup sucker.

May 5, 2010 at 8:33 a.m.
  • Four points:

1) If you think VCAD is competent and not corrupt to the core, you don't own anything of value in the county or you're dumb enough to just pay what ever they ask every year without looking at your statements.

2)If you think someone who earns money by renting property doesn't work for the money, you (again) obviously own nothing of value to the community.

3)If you've ever wondered why other cities the size of Victoria and smaller have more businesses and more national brand businesses than Victoria (eg Bay City) the answer is the stupidity and corruption in the existing city government.
    No one with a brain would invest in a city with this kind of council and law enforcement - increasing gang activity and tagging with close to zero law enforcement response and a council hell bent on blowing hundreds of thousands of dollars on unneeded sidewalks in a downtown where no one ever goes.

4) If you think getting monetary support from a large businessman disqualifies a candidate from public office then why did you vote for Obama with his $947,000 from Goldman Sachs?

I'd have likely got through Saturday with out voting but this two-bit Advocate hatchet job and the related comments has got me all fired up to vote and get as many as I can out to vote as well. Personally I'd vote for Wayne in addition to Williams if he were on the ballot.

May 5, 2010 at 8:05 a.m.
  • I have yet for someone to give me a good reason to vote for Halepaska over Williams. These are the only reasons I've been given:

"Halepaska has 6 years experience on the council"
    ...6 years experience doing what? Agreeing with the mayor on every single issue? No thanks.

"Halepaska is a successful business man"
    ...well, maybe if he would help run the city like he runs his business we'd be in better shape

and now "James Wayne contributes $5K to Williams"
    ...whoopty doo. James Wayne may not be a model citizen (hell, he may not even be a model human being), but he is a business man. If Williams can do things to help businesses in this town then it is a benefit for everyone, not just James Wayne.

One Will Armstrong is bad enough, we've had three on the council for a while now.

May 5, 2010 at 8:02 a.m.
  • victoria advocate, it seems like mr wayne's property taxes and property values are the heart of the story here.

why don't you investigate his properties and then compare to other properties around the neighborhood ????

im guessing the results would be very, very, very interesting.

anyone voting for williams is a fool, just take a look at the money behind the candidate.

May 5, 2010 at 7:32 a.m.
  • Ok, so why dosen't the Advocate print Armstrong's top contributors......

May 5, 2010 at 7:23 a.m.
  • Hey, Hey,....I thought everyone knew that "Victoria" has its own Mr. Scrooge" need....I say more.
    Mr. Halepaska is a winner in my books

May 5, 2010 at 5:20 a.m.
  • Mr. Wayne is fighting the two biggest problems in Victoria.
    #1. A 'spend happy' city government.
    #2. A totally out-of-control Central Appraisal District.
    And to top it all off .... he is doing it with HIS OWN money.

Wayne has more of HIS OWN money invested in the future of Victoria than anybody (and everybody) on the city council. The council only wants to spend taxpayer money! I wish Wayne sucess in his fight(s) and I believe Victoria will come out ahead if he wins. The town needs more people that are willing to put THEIR money where their mouth is.

All politicians say one thing to get elected and do another thing in office. We already know from 6 years of history that Halepaska is an automatic 'Yes man' vote with Armstrong. I'll vote for Williams and see if he has the backbone to stand up to Armstrong ... and maybe even enough backbone to stand up to Wayne ... if and when the time comes. We certainly do not have anything to lose by trying something different.

May 5, 2010 at 5:11 a.m.
  • Lamp Post why are you afraid of James wayne because you can not get him on your side?? Please Joe, Gabe, and Jeff were there by invite. Did you not go to the city council meeting? We all know who you are Pliscand. At swann crossing it was invite by the land owner and James Wayne was not there.

May 5, 2010 at 1:01 a.m.
  • Mr. Halepaska I would like to know something. You have been asked about the problem the city has keeping Police and Fire Fighters. You say well we gave the a blanket rise. Why dont you tell people that out of the last 5 blanket rises that was given Oct 1 each year 4 time in Jan 1 the insurents went up. Anyone with a family lost most of what they were given!

May 4, 2010 at 11:25 p.m.
  • I think James Wayne is a bad person! On the other hand i have known Jeff Williams for 15 or more years. He is a good person. He looks out for others before himself. He looks for the good in people. You should not jugde him by just one person. Jeff will look out for the city and what we all want and need not what the Will Armstrong wants.

May 4, 2010 at 11:16 p.m.
  • Who the hell Wayne thinks he is? A King maker?
    The reputable citizen business man has my vote here.
    Judgment matters and Williams needs his head examined.

May 4, 2010 at 11:04 p.m.
  • From what i have seen most of Halepaska campaign contributions came from the very well of in the down town area. Why is this? The same people that wanted all the money wasted on the down town area! Looks to me they are buying the mayors lap dog another term.

May 4, 2010 at 11:04 p.m.
  • Oh look! Someone is challenging one of Wills lap dogs ( Halepaska, Polasek ) and he starts the mud slinging!
    How can three men vote the same way on everything?

May 4, 2010 at 10:57 p.m.
  • This is to funny. Wayne contesting the tax amount on his properties. It might be what amount of income the properties bring in for Mr Wayne from what I hear his rental properties have one of the highest prices in Victoria. (with stipulation in some business rentals. This totally convinces me on who to vote for come election time. Vote for someone that worked for his contribution and can be trusted in this delicate position. Nothing that happens in this town surprises me anymore.

May 4, 2010 at 10:05 p.m.
  • I will try to remember that the race is between Mr. Halepaska and Mr. Williams. However, I believe you are known by the company you keep. Mr Halepaska you have our vote.

May 4, 2010 at 10:03 p.m.

• "While both city council candidates are businessmen, Williams said Wayne supports him because the two share a similar philosophy. Williams said he is pro-business, for lower taxes and minimal government intrusion."

James Wayne and Jeff Williams share similar philosophies. WOW. This is the same James Wayne that towed vehciles from his property while people attended a funeral at a church on Laurent. I guess we can expect the same from Jeff. No scruples, no mercy, no conscience, sue happy, treat people with disrespect. I could go on.
    Tom may not be perfect but he is no James Wayne.

May 4, 2010 at 9:28 p.m.
  • Mr. Wayne believes we all deserve the best councilman money can buy.

May 4, 2010 at 8:09 p.m.
  • Was leaning toward Williams. Not any more.

May 4, 2010 at 7:41 p.m.