Victoria house fire sends woman to hospital

An elderly Victoria woman was taken to DeTar Hospital Navarro Wednesday morning in apparently serious condition after a house fire at 902 Fern Lane.

Battalion Chief Shannon Martin with the Victoria Fire Department said he could not comment on the woman's condition or identify her.

But Advocate reporter Erica Rodriguez reporting from the scene said neighbor Barbara McDonald identified the victim as a woman in her early 90s. Neighbors already had spoken this morning with family members.

McDonald said it appeared the woman was suffering from smoke inhalation.

Martin said the fire department got the fire call at 4:31 a.m. and when firefighters arrived they found heavy fire coming from the front of the house. He said crews entered the structure and rescued a person.

There was no one else in the house at the time, he said.

There was extensive fire damage throughout half of the house and extensive smoke and fire damage throughout the rest of the house.