Home » Police investigating abduction, escape » Unverified Comments

Comments

• Zorro-

I have the info for you but can't post it here due to a word count limit. Send me your e-mail and I'll forward it to you.

I started gathering bits and pieces and then found a comprehensive article written by a historian who even used Justice Department figures.

Hard to argue with those...

Also, as to your "popping off" comment, those who come across as tough and threatening behind the anonymity of a computer screen are usually rather cowardly in real life. Simple psycho-analytical profiles generally indicate internet bullies pose minimal real-world threats.

May 13, 2010 at 2:18 p.m.
  • A couple of years ago, I felt like someone was following me while I was shopping inside this particular store. The first time it happened I chalked it up to an innocent coincidence that he was on the same isle path as me. The second time it happend, I was actually followed to my vehicle, and the man tapped on my windshield to ask me if I was married. I met with the store manager to report the incidence. I don't shop there unless it is an emergency, and after this latest report, I won't be shopping there EVER again!

May 13, 2010 at 1:29 p.m.
  • Zorro, no one was "popping off" about anything. Just a fact. If more people exercised their right to carry, then someone who is considering committing a crime like this might think twice before attacking them in a parking lot. I mean, if I thought you most likely had a handgun under that cape of yours, I would go the other way. Law abiding citizens like myself who have earned the right to carry should not be looked at as a gun toting crazed person, but rather as a right minded person who wants to protect myself and my family. Just a thought for you, you are more likely to have a gun pulled on you by a criminal than by a person having a concealed carry permit. Wake up!

May 12, 2010 at 3:29 p.m.
  • Releasing the name of the business simply means "protecting the business before the public" usual politics!!! I know which business this event occurred. This business makes alot of $$$$$ so why don't they place security cameras in the parking lot to protect the public. The business on the north side, I won't spell the name completely....Wal...... put cameras out their...please Mr. Business People, protect the public!!!!

May 12, 2010 at 3:23 p.m.
  • Zorro-

Not "everyone" can be "packing heat." It is not simply a matter of buying a gun and carrying it. There is a mandatory 2-day class of instructions along with actual shooting proficiency one must first successfully complete.

A background check is part of the equation as well.

It's been a while since I checked, but the registration itself used to be $140. The cost of the course is separate and additional.

As to actual cases, I will gladly gather that info for you and send it to you in the next couple of days.

May 12, 2010 at 2:42 p.m.
  • BobbyTomek

I would be interested to learn specific cases where concealed handguns stopped a crime in progress and how many times that has occurred.

There are a lot of people like myself who own guns, lots of us own several guns, handguns, rifles, and shotguns but we don't think it is necessarily a good idea for everyone to be packing heat. I know some hotheads who have CHL licenses and they scare me. It's one thing to pop off in here, quite another to pull a gun in public.

May 12, 2010 at 2:20 p.m.
  • Concealed carry has indeed thwarted a number of attack attemps. Unfortunately, you WILL NOT read about it in any of the biased mainstream media.

In fact, when one gathers information and compares legitimate figures, the areas in the United States with the HIGHEST crime rates are those with the STRICTEST firearm laws (i.e., Washington D.C., Chicago, etc.).

Opponents of concealed carry continue to clamor for repeal of the law and cite -- based on speculation alone -- a return to the old west days, where daily street shootouts were the norm and law and order was not to be found.

Of course, that has not happened, and crime has actually DECREASED in most areas with CC on the books. But the anti-gun lobby doesn't care about the facts; all they are concerned with is pushing the envelope, preying on the emotions of victims and getting more and more people to blindly follow their path to nowhere.

To boot, the antis aren't intelligent enough to learn from history and can't seem to -- or simply won't -- comprehend what has happened to societies which were largely unarmed.

May 12, 2010 at 12:30 p.m.
  • Every law abiding citizen should go get their concealed carry permit. Pop a couple of these thugs and the rest will take notice.

May 12, 2010 at 11:47 a.m.
  • The Advocate wrote: " Do not let your abductor take you to a desolate location. "

Gee...how man VICTIMS actually have a choice in the matter???
    -----

As to the vagueness of the article, if other news outlets had access to additional facts, so, too, did the Advocate. I will not speculate on why this information was withheld by the editorial staff, but -- if for no other reason than a public service with everyone's safety in mind -- it should have been released.

Otherwise, a simple form article will suffice for future incidents: "Somewhere, possibly on a Tuesday evening, a crime may or may not have been committed. It may or may not have taken place in Victoria.

Police ask everyone to be vigilant."

May 12, 2010 at 10:19 a.m.
  • And the PD wants to silence the scanners. The public has the right to know what is going on, especially with this. I still don't understand why VPD won't give the description of the vehicle and person (s) who attempted the abduction of the kids. Why? Why is the PD withholding information on anything? Don't give me the usual excuses of on going investigation and blah blah, i've already heard them, now i want the facts. Hello mayor, are you reading these blogs?

May 12, 2010 at 10:08 a.m.

May 12, 2010 at 9:37 a.m.
  • watch news center 25 or go to the web site they reported that it was a woman who was a victim of attempted abduction but she had broke away from the attacker and had minor injuries but the advocate said he or she was abducted/taken. Who is telling the truth

May 12, 2010 at 8:48 a.m.
  • KAVU did a segment on it last night. They showed pictures of HEB on Rio Grande. I also saw it posted on face book. This might get deleted but I am only repeating what was on the news.

May 12, 2010 at 8:20 a.m.
  • Where on Rio Grande St. would they interview someone loading GROCERIES? Hmmm I wonder?

May 12, 2010 at 7:09 a.m.
  • That would be a false sense of safety unless he's going to stalk the same parking lot repeatedly.

May 12, 2010 at 6:44 a.m.