Comments

• A Pit Bull is a Loaded Gun, and just like that Loaded Gun, it is the Human behind it who is 110% Responsible . After a Man is killed by a Bullet, it isn't the Gun that is Destroyed ( killed). No, the Human who pulled the Trigger is- Not only sentenced to Jail/ Fines & Restrictrions on owning a Gun . But has to take Classes & License to Own One.
    How Weak of a Human Being are You to Blame a Dog, for a human's Ignorance/ Irresponsiblilty.
    You can KILL all of the " Pit Bull" breeds, but that doesn't Stop the Fighters/ Thugs from Dog Fighting, or Creating more. " Pit Bulls" are NOT the Only dogs used for dog fighting or bull/bear Baiting. Shiit, the Ridgebacks were created to Kill Lions, but u damn the pit bull for dog fighting?? Talk about Ignorance !
    If all Pit Bulls are so Dangerous, why aren't there Millions of Deaths a Day by them ?
    Why are there Fatalities by Several other Breeds, if only pit bulls are so bad ?

We need to make it Harder, for the Wrong People to Own these Breeds !

1. It should be a Felony for anybody w/ a Violent/Drug or Criminal History to own a " Pit Bull " ( Felony for each dog)
    - This should apply to all dogs- they don't just torture People & pits
    2. Every Pit should be Fixed( Only unless a Taxed & Reputable Breeder ) Tax $$ will go to Local Shelters
    - This should apply w/ all dogs. All shelters are filled w/ all breeds
    3. There should be FENCING REQUIRMENTS, no more 4ft tall Chain-Link Fences. ( that is just a Hop to these breeds )
    - 6ft or Taller Wooden Fences( Brink, Ironect...) This should Apply to all breeds
    There isn't just a Stray problem w/ Pits, but all dogs.
    4 All Pit Owners should go through Training & Classes, prior to Owning one. ( this should apply to all dogs )
    - #1 reason dogs are in Shelters are because of Simple Training Mishaps. ( Dogs pees on floor, Dog tears up furniture, Won't stop Barking, ect... ect...ect ) or people, don't have time for the dog anymore.

You continue to Blame the Dog, & those dog fighters r going to continue fighting & terrorizing our communities. Those Breeders will continue Pimping their dogs & Puppy Mills, Dogs will continue to Escape & Irresponsible owners will be allowed to own & breed as many dogs as they like.

Let's try my Way for a While, mine ends w/ Education , your's still ends in Death.
    Oh, but that's ok since it isn't Your Dog - Right ?

October 11, 2010 at 9:56 p.m.
  • We live here at Fort Hood , and they have made it mandatory that we have no aggressive dogs here on post ! I like it like that , I am at ease with my kids playing and feeling safer . I'm not saying that it's the perfect solution but it works for us .

May 17, 2010 at 7:36 a.m.
  • A friend told me pit blls love cyanide-especially on cheap cuts of meat....

May 16, 2010 at 1:57 a.m.
  • The owner should have gotten a citation because she failed to secure her dog. Did she think a screen door would stop that dog if it wanted to get outside? She should have closed the main door too. That's kind of like securing the dog on a piece of twine, instead of a heavy chain.

May 13, 2010 at 8:22 p.m.
  • gotakeapoop,

Lourdes Vazquez who is with the Victoria Advocate commented several posts below you and stated that the dog was inside the residence and therefor was not issued a citation.

May 13, 2010 at 8:11 p.m.
  • The owner did not receive a citation? WHY NOT?????

May 13, 2010 at 6:22 p.m.
  • Reporting a dangerous dog

Many people are unaware that one does not have to wait for a "bite" to report a threatening (menacing), loose or stray dog. Many attacks occur due to this lack of understanding. Always report problem dogs to your city or county animal control or Sheriff's department. If that dog ends up biting and seriously hurting a person, but there is no documented paper trail behind it, authorities will have their hands tied and the victim may have no recourse for medical expenses.
    If the dog owner lives on a rental property, it is beneficial to send a certified letter asking the landlord to ensure that proper containment infrastructure is installed and that the dog is declared on the renter's insurance policy. This act normally places the landlord into the "liability equation" and motivates him to take care of the situation. Cell phone photographs and video of the dog's behavior can be sent as supporting evidence to show that an attack situation is imminent.
    When reporting a dog bite -- defined as the "breaking of the skin" -- anticipate the dog owner to plead with you not to. Many dog owners do not want that "first bite" on record and may offer you a "home nurse" solution. DO NOT ACCEPT. Proceed directly to a hospital, tell the doctor you have a dog bite, which should trigger a formal bite report (what the dog owner hoped to avoid), and receive proper dog bite medical treatment, otherwise you might die (See: Dolly Newell).
    In many places it is also a misdemeanor crime to not report a dog bite.

May 13, 2010 at 4:36 p.m.
  • It is true that other dog breeds do attack, but there is a couple of major difference when it comes to pitt attacks. Jaw strength and the natural instinct to bite as hard as they can, lock their jaws and pull and shake until their "victim" becomes immobilized.

I guess you can compare dog breeds but pitts act more like crocodiles or alligators than dogs when they attack.

May 13, 2010 at 4:15 p.m.
  • nothingsurprisesme the owner was not issued a citation according to the officer because the dog was inside. If the dog had been outside without a chain and bit the neighbor she would have been issued a citation.

May 13, 2010 at 4:10 p.m.
  • Any animal can be aggressive. No argument there. The argument is, pits are physically stronger than most dogs and tend to be more aggressive by nature. Their teeth and bite radius are designed to inflict the most damage they possibly can. They also have the grab factor. Once latched on, they very seldom let go until they are good and ready.

I pose this question...

Would you rather be attacked by a pit bull or a pug???

This is not rocket science people.

May 13, 2010 at 4:08 p.m.
  • This is the breed that drug dealers and other thugs parade around as if to ward off danger from other drug dealers and thugs. Pit Bulls have not gotten a bad rap, in spite of some "stories of gentle" Pit Bulls. Seeing a thug strolling along, showing off his powerful "pet" sends a very clear message. A message that is threatening. A pit bull comes in my yard (on a chain or not) and it's not leaving under its own power.

May 13, 2010 at 3:27 p.m.
  • the reason you don't hear a lot about other breeds attacking someone, is because they do so with much less frequency and severity.

"Between January 1, 2006 to December 31, 2008,
    DogsBite.org recorded 88 U.S. fatal dog attacks. The data shows
    that pit bulls are responsible for 59% (52) of these attacks."

"Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded in the 3-year period, pit bull type dogs were
    responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days.
    Pit bulls make up approximately 2-9% of the U.S. dog population."

what is it that attracts you to the breed? be honest.

May 13, 2010 at 2:55 p.m.
  • I agree with Britty Bug...You can't label only one breed of dogs. Pit bulls are NOT the ONLY aggressive dogs in the world. I have seen lot's of aggressive dogs that are far from being pit bulls. You can't even walk down the street without little dogs and other breeds chasing and trying to attack you! So why don't we hear about those dogs in the news? Yes, it does depend on how you raise them but, that goes for every animal. I do feel for everyone who has been attacked by Any animal...no one should have to go through that..but, come on people quit labeling pit bulls! For that case we might as well label every animal because, any of them could turn on you at any time!

May 13, 2010 at 2:47 p.m.
  • Another thing, Pits are listed as the number 1 most dangerous dog. They should be kept in a covered cage because, apparently, houses and chains cannot contain them.

May 13, 2010 at 1:07 p.m.
  • If a dangerous dog is showing aggression towards me, my kids, or my pets, on my property, you can bet your sweet a$$ that I will shoot it and ask question later.
    How about the cat lovers all get some big exotic cats, train them at birth to love humans, and then let them roam free. Afterall, they were raised right and shouldn't hurt anyone, right? I wonder how long it would take for all the dog lovers to start threatening to shoot them?

May 13, 2010 at 1:02 p.m.
  • Hmmmmm. If I had a choice between getting bitten by a pit or a chihuahua which would I choose?????? The one that will give me a nasty bite on the ankle or the one that will rip my arm or throat out?
    Not that I want to get bitten by any of them but if a Chihuahua comes up barking or growling at me I can pick my 5 year old daughter up and carry her.

May 13, 2010 at 1:02 p.m.
  • Pit bulls, are by nature, very agressive creatures,but if I lived on Wildwood I would have two of them and several guns.

May 13, 2010 at 12:05 p.m.
  • I understand that people are being bitten by dogs including pit bulls, now notice how i mentioned all dogs. If anyone were to actually research the pit bull breed along with any other breed they would all have reports of aggression. Did anyone think about how a few years ago it was the dobermans or the rottweilers that were the main focus in dog attacks. Why ban the pit bull breed just cause they are over exploited. Does any one ever write about how many other dog breeds attack humans on a daily basis. It is just a "thing" to talk about now. Next it could be Chihuahuas, or Dalmatians (yes they are known to be just as aggressive) or schnauzers (who bite a lot of people also) but no, no one wants to admit that these animals can be aggressive. Truth is they are just as bad, they just aren't put into the news.

As for those who want to shoot all the pits cause they threaten you, why not shoot all the humans who threaten you. Well wasn't there one at the HEB parking lot the other night. We can be threatened or hurt by people at any point but no one shoots.
    them when something clicks in that persons head.

Just wait in a few years or even months there will be another breed of animals that everyone wants to kill off, just cause the media needs something new to talk about. Now i don't condone the bitting but all i am saying is, it is not only pit bulls that bite people there are many breeds of dogs that bite people every day. The media just chooses the story that will make them the most money. And that is a proven fact.

May 13, 2010 at 11:59 a.m.
  • I am so not endorsing this breed of dog-- PLEASE DO NOT think that. I was trying to get the point accross that just as if you make the decision to have one- take responsibility to raise it properly. There will always be nightmares as long as people are trying to beat the odds concerning this dog. Tied up locked up dogs are way more dangerous. I agree with outlawing the breeding and posession of these dogs. Not to say if you already have one- you must destroy it but WHY KEEP BREEDING AND SELLING these dogs?? If I chose to raise rattlesnakes, I should choose to be responsible for them...... Where does it end though?? At what point does the law tell me I can't have a snake at all?? PLEASE don't think --- I AM TERRIFIED OF SNAKES!!!!!!!! My point is only be responsible for what choices you make....I hear all day about how bad this persons dogs are and that persons dog--- i kinda think its like having a gun they feel big and bad

May 13, 2010 at 11:01 a.m.
  • I know that pits are dangerous. 20 years ago my sister and brother-in-law adopted a pit puppy less than six weeks old. They took excellant care of Bo and he was raised with thier children. He slept every night with my nephew and was a good dog. NEVER AGGRESSIVE! Then one day we were sitting in the yard and BO went crazy and attacked my 8 year old nephew. This is the same nephew that he bathed with and slept with every night for 4 years! Best friends! Bo latched on to him under his arm pit and would not release shaking and tearing at his arm and shoulder. My brother-in-law had to beat this dog in the head with a hammer until he was dead to make him release. My nephew had many surgerys to repair his arm and shoulder and was left with horrible scars. My nephew did nothing to provoke Bo, he was sitting in a chair right next to me when it happened. They had done everything right and still this dog attacked.

May 13, 2010 at 9:41 a.m.
  • To JeffLyon: I am truly sorry for the loss of your / your granddaughter's pet cat. That is so awful. I love all animals - (& I thought Pit Bulls too)...until my own experience. 1) A Pit Bull WAS chained up, broke the chain and came after my little 12 lb puppy, my husband had our dog on the leash & instinctively pulled her up (hanging from her collar - thank God she was OK). The owners were able to eventually get the Pit Bull contained...another encounter, my brother's "sweet" Pit Bull attacked my big dog for now reason.....The Pit Bull is no longer with me. Bottom line, Pit Bulls are DANGEROUS and should be "outlawed".

May 13, 2010 at 9:31 a.m.
  • Amen JeffLyon.

May 13, 2010 at 8:54 a.m.
  • I don’t normally write items commenting on news stories. However this morning I read the story about the lady being attacked by a pit bull and I thought to myself why anyone would want to own such an aggressive pet. Ironically while I was pulling out of my driveway, I saw a light brown pit bull with a white chest near my house. You could tell she recently had puppies. I rolled down my window and she scampered away. As I pulled further down my driveway, I saw a black pit bull standing over my granddaughter’s 5 pound white cat. The cat was mauled, bloodied and of course dead. I got out of my car and start towards the dog and it squared off at me and moved towards me. I got back in my car and called animal control.

This dog was the aggressor. It came upon my property. It attacked and killed a 5 pound deaf cat that has no real fear of dogs and this cat spends a majority of time on my property, front yard and back yard with my own non aggressive dogs.

It’s time the city ban all pit bull breeds from the city limits. And if the county had any sense, they would do the same. There is no reason to call an animal a “pet” when the aggressive behavior can cause injury or death.

I have no idea who owns a black pit bull and a female light brown pit pull in the downtown Victoria area, but I will find out. And if you are the owner of those pit bulls and they come upon my property, I will deliver two dead pit pulls to your front door. If I find your pit bulls running around downtown, I will call animal control, have them picked up and I will encourage the destruction of your “pet”.

This is probably un-popular with pit bull owners, but when this breed is known more for its aggressive and deadly behavior; it is time to ban this breed from the city limits of Victoria.

May 13, 2010 at 8:31 a.m.
  • I find it funny that people try to defend this breed of dog. They are born hunter killers. "Oh but I know someone who has one and he/she would never hurt or attack anyone...." "It is the owners fault." ETC

It is not the owners fault. It is the dog's fault. It is called genetics and can not be helped. Let me guess, sharks are non aggressive too!!!

May 13, 2010 at 8:21 a.m.
  • Okay, yes this is an agressive dog. They are bred with the intent to promote that aggressiveness. HOWEVER-- The fault lies with the owners- for not raising these fdogs to be sociable creatures. These dogs are as good as the training they are or ARE NOT given. YES there way too many and honestly I think that people who think they are being protected by these dogs are LIABLE for their behavior. They are awesome pets. They love the people that they live with- if they are allowed to live with them. (NOW LET ME SAY THAT THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS TO THIS) EARLY socialization with people and pets is what makes or breaks this breed. SOoo if you have a puppy- obedience is your only option to avoid the causualties of war. Look into the loving eyes of your friend and ask yourself- are you willing to take the chance?? If your answer is it's just a dog -- YOU NEED TO BE SHOT!

May 13, 2010 at 7:46 a.m.
  • only good pitbull is a dead one!

May 13, 2010 at 7:14 a.m.
  • The pitbull breed should be outlawed in Texas. Kill them all! They are sweet as pie until something clicks in their head and then nature comes out in them and they attack with a vengence. You never know when that will happen.

If not outlawed, all owners will sign a paper saying they are legaly responsible for any and all damage the dog may cause. And after the first offence the animal is to be put down. Period!

May 13, 2010 at 6:23 a.m.
  • Our neighbor was attacked by this same dog about 2 weeks ago and had a wound to his ankle, he was blocking the dog from attacking his son.

May 13, 2010 at 6:10 a.m.
  • scorpio,

If they come on your propery and you feel threatened, shoot them. With the reputation that these dogs have, no one would fault you.

But first:

Stop complaining to the owners of the property. Call the police instead. You will start a history of complaints and then if anything every happens, you have a leg to stand on. Every complaint that you make has to be recorded. Try to get things on tape, take a picture of them, etc. Don't just sit passively by and wait for a real attack to occur.

May 13, 2010 at 12:46 a.m.
  • our neighbors have pit bulls and they are always trying to get through the fence to eat our dogs and they run at us and stop to begin growling. The owners never have them on a leash when the go out front. We feel treatened all the time by them. These people are renters and the agency that rented to them does nothing when they are complained to. Its horrible

May 13, 2010 at 12:20 a.m.
  • I know I'll probably make a lot of people angry by my comment, but this breed of dog is known to be vicious... why have one? My neighbor owns a pit bull who is a sweet as sugar... but she is known to get loose and has attacked stray cats... what happens when she goes after another dog or a child or an elderly person?

May 12, 2010 at 9:29 p.m.
  • The owner of the dog was able to get him off and put him on a chain," said Paine. "Usually if the dog is not on a chain the owner would receive a citation," said Paine.

The owner did not receive a citation.

So tell us again why one wasnt issued?

May 12, 2010 at 9:09 p.m.