Comments

• here's an idea to the people who are running this ad campaign, look in the victoria electric co-op's monthly magazine it has a events calander in it that never has any victoria events on it. I look every month at it and see interesting events from all around here but never any from victoria. WHY is that.

We need a large venue center to bring in concerts, group meetings, and any other event that needs a large place to be profitable. WE NEED A RIVER WALK. Turn the under the hill slum into a modern green zone with recreational areas, stores, places to eat, meeting centers, and any thing else that brings in business to this area.

Quit wasting money on VEDC as it has done nothing to help our economy at all. The most important thing to do would be to clean up the city it is filthy!!!! Drive out the GANGS and provide things for the people who live here to do. The is nothing to do in victoria to keep our kids out of trouble.

May 23, 2010 at 12:04 p.m.
  • Shades,

I am not sure I follow your question but if you can clarify what it is you are asking I will try and address it.

I cannot speak to religious music sales but I can speak to Christian music sales and overall across the country we are seeing huge declines in sales of CDs. This of course is primarily related to the influx of digital downloads and other methods of acquiring the music. The demand for the music is not declining but the sales of music through retail channels is.

If you are asking about a Christian music concert in Victoria there have been some over the past several years the most recent was a "top five" group, Mercy Me last year. The challenge with having succesful concerts is there is no venue that can seat enough people to make the concert economocially feasible. The largest venue in Victoria is Faith Family Church at around 2,200. The Mercy Me concert sold out the venue but was underwritten financially by private donations as the "gate" is not enough to cover costs.

If you can help me understand what information you are asking about I will try and find it if I don't have it available already.

Jeff Williams

May 22, 2010 at 6:09 p.m.
  • Bad Baptist, Good Catholic! OOPS!

May 22, 2010 at 4:45 p.m.
  • GOP Love Child.

LOL

May 22, 2010 at 3:30 p.m.
  • We don’t need any Baptists.
    All they bring is a ten dollar bill and the Ten Commandments
    and they don’t break either.

May 22, 2010 at 3:22 p.m.
  • What a waste of money. I think bringing the Armadillo festival back would have been a better idea. And bighorn who are the cross-dressing sherrifs?? I've never heard anything about them before!

May 22, 2010 at 9:11 a.m.
  • bighorn, I swear, you SLAY me!!!!

:D

May 22, 2010 at 7:34 a.m.
  • An absolute waste of money. And from the misguided attempt of weak uninformed minds, no less.

Boots? Victoria is nowhere close to a cowtown. Try Lubbock, Abilene, Amarillo, San Angelo, or the original Ft. Worth. Heck, even San Antonio is more of a Cowtown than Victoria.

Flip Flops and Tacos are more in line for us.

"Home of the Taco and Barefeets"
    "Tats and Beer Belletes"
    "Crossdressing Sherriffs"
    "And off-key guitar riffs"
    "Criminal City Leaders
    "Biggest "tache since the Civil War"
    "DA that's a total bore"
    "Visit Viiicccctttoorrriiiaaaa"
    "Where everyones a whore!"

May 22, 2010 at 6:37 a.m.
  • The comment I made earlier about experience was meant to determine who may know something about how marketing really works and what it takes to run a campaign, with proven results. Not experience as a consumer, but as an insider.

True successful campaigns are successful over time. Car dealers are some of the best. They may be annoying, clownish, goofballish, shtickish or distasteful, but they work because they pick something and "ram it down our throats".

It wouldn't matter if we picked one thing about Victoria that everyone agreed upon and ran with it, if we didn't spend the money to push it. An effective campaign is rarely short lived. There are only a few industries that benfit from short campaigns alone. Even then, their corporate message is supplimented between those campaigns.

If you're marketing something like a city, it's going to take a lot of money and a lot of ads, spread out over a long period of time, to make it work, period.

A real marketing person would tell their client to save their money if they didn't have enough to make it effective.

May 21, 2010 at 11:12 p.m.
  • Victoria is a place where people go to church. Why don't we involve leadership from our churches to organize an event. Mr. Williams, what is the growth rate for religious music? Are there drama opportunities? Can you share any statistical data on incomes ? If you think this is a good idea, who would be better than you to head it up? Step up, if you like the idea.

May 21, 2010 at 10:58 p.m.
  • Is there any place in Victoria that could be used for conventions? Community Center does not fit the bill IMO. The hotels really don't have spacious meeting rooms & there are only 2 decent ones in town. But I will say, when we went to Yorktowns festival we did put our heads in Victorias hotel beds. Whoever said Victoria should market it's hotels & restaurants to those short distance towns got it right as there isn't a decent place to stay in any of the surrounding communities.

May 21, 2010 at 8:05 p.m.
  • Holein 1,

You ask "How many of you, whether you like the campaign or not, have any real world experience with marketing, advertising, media purchasing, festival planning, etc?"

I am not certain that question applies to what is at issue here. The presentation of this jingle and marketing approach is not directed to professional marketers, advertising people or media buyers, it is to the general public and their reactions carry much more weight in my mind then those of "professionals".

I went to the website and it took over 30 seconds to load the homepage (I have broadband access and load many, many websites on a daily basis). I clicked through on the link regarding meeting centers (I have attended meetings all over the US and wanted to see what we have to offer) and received the message "New meeting and event facilities directory coming soon."

I do have some experience with marketing, media buys and other issues and know that first impressions only happen once.

What would be your impression if you were considering holding a meeting in Victoria, the website you go to takes a long time to load, the jingle playing calls you "darlin" and then the information you are specifically interested in is not available but "coming soon"? If you are a professional meeting planner looking for a venue do you come back a second time?

I know there are some very strong points about Victoria to promote but this jingle does not appeal to me (I am 50 so maybe I am not the target audience) and if I was looking for a meeting site I would be hard pressed to recommend Victoria to my "client" based on this marketing approach.

I want Victoria to prosper, I want more people to come to town, I want more businesses to locate here. My opinion is we got the cart ahead of the horse on this and those first impressions when going to the visitvictoriatexas.com website are not going to be as positive as they should be. "Twangy" country music talking about boots makes me think of Yoakum (no disrespect) or some other small folksy place. This site does not bring to mind a place that is trying to promote Bach Festivals, Symphonys, quality plays (Welder Center), sporting events or even professional meeting venues. It brings to my mind sawdust covered dance floors (do we even have one left here), cowboys with a straw stuck in their teeth and a Lone Star (again no disrespect as at one point in my life I drink this beer) in their hand. I hope the campaign is successful as a great deal of dollars have been committed to it.

May 21, 2010 at 2:40 p.m.
  • @Pilot

Austin does have a huge number of song writers. However, jingle writers and typical song writers are not usually the same animal. Jingle writers are typically specialized writers that only write jingles. I have had experience with jingles and it's not always easy or cut and dry. There aren't a lot of jingle houses left in the world and I'm sure they did their best to find one to fit all of the criteria.

@ everyone

I've posed this question before, but I'm going to do it again.

I'm curious to know.

May 21, 2010 at 1:49 p.m.
  • Bring back the Armadillo Confab!!!

May 21, 2010 at 1:48 p.m.
  • I missed the Spanish twist.

May 21, 2010 at 1:35 p.m.
  • justbeachy's got it!

Bridgette and Randy should have taken some of the money and developed a REGIONAL COC/CVB. THEN Victoria could pour money into a campaign that featured Victoria as the hub for activities int he surrounding area.

That would have, at least made sense.

By the way, perhaps they should drop the C from the CVB as I understand they no longer help with reunion groups and such.

May 21, 2010 at 12:50 p.m.
  • I think the city is heading in the absolute wrong direction by trying to market Victoria as something we're not. We are not a tourist destination. And you know what? That's okay. This entire effort comes across as contrived and false.

I do think there are things that city leaders and citizens can do to bring in visitors, particularly by bringing in musicians and festivals and helping our Market Days grow. Remember the chili cook-offs? The Armadillo Confab? The street dances at DeLeon Plaza? Macaroni Fest?

Plan and advertise events that encourage the community, and others in the area, to join in the fun. Creating an identity for Victoria is not the way to go, and Bootfest seems especially artificial. Putting boots around town? That's not going to bring tourism.

What are tourists going to do once they're here? Victoria is fortunate to have lots of cool things to do within a short driving distance: local history via the La Bahia mission in Goliad and the Fannin memorial, dancing at Schroeder Hall and the Inez Community Center, great fishing in nearby bays and offshore access from Port O'Connor, to name a few. But the fact is that there are not a lot of tourism opportunities here in town.

However, if more private businesses were to follow the lead of those who operate businesses downtown, we might at least be able to offer some nightlife. I am so excited about the new jazz club and can't wait to check it out. The Welder Performing Arts Center is a great venue and I see performances there as often as I can. Before I left for college I practically lived at Ozone, the one club in town that played something other than country music.

Perhaps we could market Victoria as a great central spot to lodge and dine. Point out attractions in every direction that can be found in a short drive, then promote Victoria for our lodging and dining. It would be wonderful if there were some more local restaurants - Victoria is overrun with chain restaurants, in my opinion.

All in all, I think this entire effort is ill-advised and the money has not been well-spent. So much money being poured into an effort to bring people to Victoria, and nothing for them to do once they get here.

May 21, 2010 at 11:41 a.m.
  • I think it would of been a good idea to hold a local jingle writing competition. I believe you would have been pleasantly surprised, saved a lot of money, and even boosted local morale.

May 21, 2010 at 11:15 a.m.
  • Thanks, Gabe.

Is it just me, or have I missed the ads that feature the Black and Hispanic visitors? All the ads I have seen feature Anglos.

May 21, 2010 at 10:27 a.m.
  • The article says the want to "pummel" and "hammer" into people's heads. Is this jingle death metal, or what?

May 21, 2010 at 9:47 a.m.
  • Thanks for the comments, folks.

EdithAnn: Remember, there was a study of how aware people in the region are about Victoria -- and the city fared poorly. The campaign also aims to make people aware of the city. So the other parts include: 1) Is the region better aware of Victoria and its amenities? 2) Has population increased? 3) Has more business moved to town? The quickest way to measure its success, of course, is whether it drives an increase in the local hotel/motel and sales tax.

Pilot: I significantly cut short the part of the story about how the VCB found the songwriters. The bureau first sought local songwriters, but no one returned phone calls. Then, it sought dozens of jingle-writing companies in Houston, San Antonio and Austin. They found either prices were too steep ($12,000 by a company in San Antonio) or offerings were lackluster (a one-instrument song offered in Houston for $1,500).

The VCB's ad firm, Jetmarketing, then searched elsewhere. Jetmarketing, to answer your question, is based in Cuero and can be found online here: www.jetmarketingandadvertising.com.

Janell McPhaill of Jetmarketing once worked with folks from the Arkansas firm, so she said after exhausting Texas options, she turned to people she said she knew would offer a quality jingle.

-- Gabe

May 21, 2010 at 8:38 a.m.
  • how can one hear this Arkansas jingle?

May 21, 2010 at 8:36 a.m.
  • LOL

May 21, 2010 at 7:26 a.m.
  • "The campaign's success will be in part measured by whether it drives an increase in the local hotel/motel and sales tax."

In part? I thought that was the WHOLE point--heads in beds and increased sales tax revenue.

What would the other part be?

May 20, 2010 at 10:08 p.m.
  • Janell has Victoria sounding like a Broke Back Mountain kinda of cowboy town.

May 20, 2010 at 9:48 p.m.