Comments

September 22, 2010 at 11:53 a.m.

September 22, 2010 at 11:44 a.m.
  • receey-The bottom line is that there is NO single broad-coverage law expressly prohibiting the killing of a cat, as you so claimed in an earlier post when you wrote "Intentionally killing a cat is a criminal offense in all 50 states! Period!"

There remains legally-protected situations in which an individual may dispatch a non-livestock animal such as a stray dog or feral cat. Otherwise, landowners would have no right to protect their own property.

May 30, 2010 at 9:41 a.m.
  • There's a little leeway here.

[Offense]

(b) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly:

(1) tortures an animal or in a cruel manner kills or causes serious bodily injury to an animal...

"Tortures or in a cruel manner" are the operative words. A quick shot with a .22 is not torturing nor is it in a cruel manner.

We were told by a law enforcement officer one time to just shoot the animals if they were causing trouble for us.

May 30, 2010 at 1:14 a.m.
  • BobbyTomek...
    There is even a law protecting feral cats.

Sec. 42.092(a). Cruelty to Nonlivestock Animals

[Definitions]

(a) In this section:...

(2) “Animal” means a domesticated living creature, including any stray or FERAL CAT or dog, and

a wild living creature previously captured....

(4) “Custody” includes responsibility for the health, safety, and welfare of an animal subject to

the person’s care and control, regardless of ownership of the animal....

[Offense]

If you would like to read up on why the case was dismissed you can do it here. Since then the law has changed to include stray and feral cats.

May 30, 2010 at 1:04 a.m.
  • receey wrote: "Let’s set the record straight: Intentionally killing a cat is a criminal offense in all 50 states! Period!"

receey-May I suggest you actually brush up on the law before making such a ridiculous -- and obviously incorrect -- statement.

In fact, most states have laws allowing the killing of ANY animal under certain conditions such as this: "A person reasonably acting to protect the person's property from damage caused by an unconfined animal..."

In fact, right here in Texas, a fellow named Jim Stevenson in Galveston was charged with shooting a feral cat -- a cat that was decimating populations of shorebirds. Guess what? The case was dismissed -- and it never should have made it to the courtroom in the first place.

May 29, 2010 at 3:52 a.m.
  • A self appointed animal control officer, who sets their own traps and traps their neighbors pets..... I have heard of and seen this before.

But of course the self appointed animal control officer, when calling the real animal control officers, to remove what they trapped,claim that a black and white cat is a Opossum.

Thank goodness the owners of the cat had the city registration and vaccination papers handy.

May 27, 2010 at 6:37 p.m.
  • My student sitting here is the neighbor of the trappers and his animals were the first to get trapped and the lady harrasses them constantly. (Dictated by the student to me)

May 27, 2010 at 11:33 a.m.
  • Thanks to the people who contacted me . I have gotten the info to mr burns and I am on the pet owners side hope the best for y'all in getting the problem resolved !!!

May 27, 2010 at 11:11 a.m.
  • N45BA: "It's easier to take that pet out of their control than talk to people that think their pet should get to do whatever it wants. "

Of course it's easier...doing the RIGHT thing is almost always more difficult than taking the easy way out. I hope this particular way of doing things is limited to your pet issues. Although you may get instant satisfaction by doing things how you like, you also have to consider how your actions effect others...not just your neighbors, but your family as well.

Seriously, is it that hard to just talk to a person that you're having problems with?

May 27, 2010 at 7:23 a.m.
  • N45BA... Let me get this right. You condone the killing of innocent animals because "they crap in your yard"? WOW.....
    You assume,( because I find your lack of humanity appalling) that I own cats. Figures.
    There are many things you can do to keep them off your property that does not involve killing them. Red pepper, tea bags, moth balls, sprinkle coffee grounds in your yard....vinegar.

May 26, 2010 at 10:47 p.m.
  • Anyone that thinks killing, poisoning, beating, kicking, etc., of any animal or person, has a problem. And really needs help. Anger managment classes can be a start.
    A cage is ok on your land but, it is not to be set on the week-ends or holidays. Cause, animal control will not pick them up on these days. If it is set on these days, you are doing somthing else to these animals.
    You can put up a fence to keep dogs out of your yard. Cats you can not keep out of nothing.
    There is a leash law in Quail Creek, and it needs to be inforced since all of this is happening. Cats can be kept indoors, with a litter box. But, then they don't protect the yard. Dogs can be fenced in, if not in the house.
    And being nice to your neighbor is better than being ugly, or acting like school age children.
    Trash being pulled out of tall trash cans I have seen happen. Large dogs pull on it, jump up until the can pull it down, and rip the bags open.
    Sulotion, obey rules of the leash law, and take in those that are dumped, or take them to a place of safety to be taken care of. But, we all know this is not going to happen.

May 26, 2010 at 10:27 p.m.
  • N45BA......Let’s set the record straight: Intentionally killing a cat is a criminal offense in all 50 states! Period!
    What is so important in your yard that you condone killing?
    Have you heard of a water hose?
    People who hurt animals have a deep psychological issue . A lack of humanity.

"Animal cruelty is defined as intentionally causing suffering to an animal for personal enjoyment. Those who abuse animals are statistically far more likely to harm people.
    In 80% of all child abuse cases, there is also a history of animal abuse." Suite 101.com

Anyone who kills an animal for trespassing into their yards are doing it for a sick, perverse enjoyment.
    If the Paredez's are putting food out and waiting for an animal to approach their property.... they are doing it for enjoyment.

Vox, Well said.

May 26, 2010 at 9:30 p.m.
  • This is not a stray issue. These animals are family pets that are disappearing.

There actually were a couple of stray dogs that used to run around out here from house to house but they have disappeared....guess we know what happened to them! But, then again, I guess it's the animals faults that they were dumped off without food or water. I guess it was really their fault that they went into other people's yards to try to find something to eat. I guess they actually deserve to be poised or trapped and stabbed to death.

That makes absolutely no sense at all! There is no excuse for their behavior!

Something needs to be done about this kind of behavior. If someone is crazy enough to kill animals, what else are they capable of doing?

Animal control needs to be forced to hand over any "records" proving that they pick up stray animals from this location. I, personally, have lived out here for over 4 years and can count on one hand how many times I've seen animal control out here.

May 26, 2010 at 7:22 p.m.
  • anyone who lives in the area this has happend to and has had dogs or cats effected by this i have very inportant info to share with u . im not a telemarketer or anything call janell 6558471 i know some very interesting acts that might help in ur case with the p"s

May 26, 2010 at 5:37 p.m.
  • N45BA, have you talked to your neighbors about their cats, or are you sticking with the 'it's not my responsibility' line?

Look, there's always kids running around my neighborhood, and occasionally they damage someone's property; however, I don't go and set traps for them or poison them even though it's the parents' responsibility to keep an eye on their kids. Instead I go talk to the parents and more often than not the problem is solved.

Try being nice and courteous first...you'd be surprised how far you get. It's kind of like the old story about the sun and the wind--these two had a bet on who could get a guy to take his jacket off. The harder the wind blew the tighter the guy held onto his jacket. The sun just comes out, nice and easy, and the guy's jacket comes right off.

May 26, 2010 at 5:17 p.m.
  • I highly doubt that a comment on a website will carry legal repercussions. Ridiculous.

May 26, 2010 at 3:09 p.m.
  • It sounds like they get entertainment out of trapping these pets. They live in a trailer. Their property can't be that big. Most animals don't just go into a cage, unless they are lured. Living in a trailer with a small yard...a cage that's baited...you will have neighbors pets coming to the bait! I would contact an organization outside of Victoria.
    SPCA of Texas
    Main Phone Number: 214-742-SPCA (7722)
    I would start there and see what they say.
    I agree that you need to take care of your pets and be responsible for them, but even strays don't deserve to be mistreated! It's cruel and sick!

May 26, 2010 at 2:36 p.m.
  • ToniAnne-Don't be surprised if you have a knock at your door soon and there's an officer on the other side ready to serve you with legal documents. Your comments opened you up for a host of legal repercussions. Others have stated, and law enforcement agrees, that there exists no current proof that anything illegal is taking place.

So I do hope you have some concrete evidence to substantiate what you wrote below:

“I live out here. These people are baiting traps with poison tuna…They have a long history of harassing neighbors in the area. This isn’t the first time they have broken the law… This is an issue of cats (and sometimes an occasional dog) being baited into traps with tuna, and then murdered (in front of children) or left to die in their cages…I just want to reiterate: This isn't a stray issue. These people are harming, killing, poisoning, and baiting cats that are people's pets.”

May 26, 2010 at 11:22 a.m.
  • She must be feline awful!

May 26, 2010 at 11:16 a.m.
  • "I came home one day and three cats were climbing on me," Cynthia Paredez said.

How many jokes can we make out of that statement?

I guess she picked the wrong day to wear her Friskies Flavored Funderoos.

The cats weren't climbing on you, they confused your legs for scratching posts.

Maybe you should see a doctor about that. I heard they make a cream of some kind.

They're not just cats...they're Laser Cats!!

May 26, 2010 at 11:10 a.m.
  • That's it. I've had it with this dump! We've got no food, we got no jobs,... our pets' HEADS ARE FALLIN' OFF!!!

May 26, 2010 at 9:56 a.m.
  • Sounds like Commissioners Court needs to summon Dr. Cate, and order that Animal Control do some investigation into this matter. In the mean time it sounds like tempers are on edge and some bad things could happen to good people.

May 26, 2010 at 9:18 a.m.

huh? Cats aren't the type to just go climbing on strangers. And I'm with a few others here...I'd much rather have cats and dogs running around than snakes and mice.

Do people ever stop and talk to their neighbors about these kinds of problems before resorting to traps and poison? A lot of hostility can be avoided with just a bit of communication. I understand there are just some people that don't like pets period, but there's a right and wrong way to handle it.

May 26, 2010 at 9 a.m.
  • At the end of the video Mr. Paredez says, "We are not poisioning the animals, we know it is against the law, WE ALREADY ASKED." So were they poisioning animals and figured out they could get in trouble and they stoped? Or did they just consider it enough to ask someone. If you have no intention of harming animals why would you go to the trouble of asking someone? AND who did you supposedly ask?
    I live in Tangerine, I love it here. We have several neighbors who have pets. All are responsible pet owners. The cats are let out and usually do not roam far from home. I know all of them by name and what cat belongs to who. I know which dog belongs to who and everyone knows which dog is mine. None of us would harm any of these pets. One cat comes and sits and talks with my indoor cat at all times of the day in the window. It is cute to watch their friendship. (My cat stays inside, he is a little prissy. lol) I don't care if the cat is here or loves on me outside or anything. What is the big deal? I agree someone should lookup the Paredez family history in public records. They are not nice people. By the way, we have a rescue dog that is blind and has got out of our fence twice in 2 years. If it wasn't for caring neighbors I fear something bad may have happened. He wasn't trying to get into trouble just got turned around and couldn't find his way home.

May 26, 2010 at 8:44 a.m.
  • why don't the neighbors catch the rats and rattlesnakes and dump them in their yard and see how they like it... I live on the outskirts of Victoria and I have two cats just for that purpose, to keep the snakes and other unwanted creatures away!

May 26, 2010 at 8:36 a.m.
  • Sounds like these cats especially since they like to roam are probably being killed by the wild animals as this happened to my brother and he has to watch his cats if he takes them outdoors. No animal control can protect the pets from that harm so it then becomes the pet owners responsibility to protect their pet from the wild....

May 26, 2010 at 8:36 a.m.
  • Wow, pretty powerful accusations ToniAnne. Has it been verified by animal control that these people have in fact turned numerous 'strays' over to them? I, myself, have a hard time believing their story. I am sure that there is a lot more to this.

May 26, 2010 at 8:12 a.m.
  • As for animal control - I have seen them here ONCE since I moved in (June 2009).

That was when they took two dead-ish (they were dying) kittens from my yard that had barely made it from the Baladez home.

The "strays" they trap are cats that they know are owned by a specific person. Can someone please explain to me how you keep a cat from wandering out of your yard - and in the country no less?

I lived in a subdivison in North Victoria and cats wandered around there too.

And have you seen the trash cans out here? They are huge and I would like someone to point me to a cat that can knock it over to even access the trash.

I would also like to see these cats that they claim are thin and dying and need to be fed, because I haven't seen any - nor has anyone else in the neighborhood.

They may have a humane trap, but they don't use it correctly.

And when they trap an animal, and the owner requests it back, they refuse to give the animal back.

I guess it's time to start employing my camera more often on my daily walks.

May 26, 2010 at 8:06 a.m.
  • Let me just add: I live out here. These people are baiting traps with poison tuna.

Animal control has taken a couple of animals and will not test them.

The dogs are not a problem here. There are lots of dogs and they are contained to yards. You cannot contain a cat to a yard.

These cats ARE fed. They are spayed, they are taken care of.

What the Advocate failed to mention was that this isn't some sort of stray issue.

This is an issue of cats (and sometimes an occasional dog) being baited into traps with tuna, and then murdered (in front of children) or left to die in their cages.

Thank you for covering the story, Victoria Advocate, but this is my two cents.

I just want to reiterate: This isn't a stray issue. These people are harming, killing, poisoning, and baiting cats that are people's pets. The are taken care of and they are loved.

I personally do not have pets, but I can tell you one other thing I don't have: rattlesnakes and mice.

You can browse the archives and look at the stories on rattlesnakes in Quail Creek. It is bad because of the pastures and foreclosed housing that isn't being taken care of. My neighbors have more than a few rattlesnakes a week (or mice) brought to their house by their cats.

That is one less snake I have to worry about attacking my kids while they are just playing in their yard.

And while we're on the subject of these people. Someone needs to search their name in the archives (or public records). They have a long history of harassing neighbors in the area. This isn't the first time they have broken the law.

I am irritated that this is happening. It is wrong, it is cruel, and it is against the law to bait a trap, lure a pet in, and then kill it or let it die.

And yes, there is an HOA out here and I understand they are aware of the issue. For members of Quail Creek, you can talk to them on the first Tuesday of the month at 7 p.m. at the QCMUD office.

May 26, 2010 at 7:55 a.m.
  • Few people love pets more than I, and I think anyone who deliberately harms or kills pets should be punished most harshly. That being said, however, it is the responsibility of the pet OWNERS to maintain control over their pets; keep them inside or in a fenced yard, not only for their protection but to protect other people. People who do not control thier animals and don't take steps to prevent pregnancies are irresponsible and should not have them. While I don't want to see pets destroyed simply because they wander off, I believe the owners should be fined when it happens. The Paredezes are doing a service to the community by trapping the strays and turning them over to animal control. I don't believe that anyone who is responsible enough to do what they are doing would then turn around and injure or kill other pets. I believe the police should be looking elsewhere for the thugs that would kill an animal in its own yard.

May 26, 2010 at 7:54 a.m.
  • Animal control failed to reply? What a surprise!

May 26, 2010 at 7:44 a.m.
  • I agree with Scorpio, owners must be responsible for their pets. Spay or neuter, feed and house your pets. Animals are helpless and need keepers. It is most heartbreaking to lose a beloved pet. Most frightening however; is to wonder if something of even a more serious and dangerous nature could be at the root of these killings. People who are deliberately cruel and torturous to helpless creatures are sick people.

May 26, 2010 at 6:25 a.m.
  • oh yeah and for the pet owners out there, be responsible for your pets. Keep them safe in your OWN yard and practice the Bob Barker approach... have you pets spade or noodered.... to control the stray population. Strays often carry disease and that can lead mass deaths.

May 25, 2010 at 11:23 p.m.
  • This article makes it sound like a bunch of red necks live there. I am sure there are a whole lot of hard working people there that is scared for the pets,they need to form a neighborhood watch to patrol all the time until this stops.

May 25, 2010 at 11:11 p.m.
  • The Paradez family has every right to trap animals coming onto their property. In fact, they should be COMMENDED for their efforts in ridding the neighborhood of nuisance animals. If people want to have pets, they need to accept responsibility for their actions. Pounds all over the country are full because of irresponsible pet owners.

And it's a shame not only that the Quail Creek pet owners have resorted to a lynch mob mentality but that the Advocate has again chosen to air its obvious bias with emotionally-charged hearsay.

May 25, 2010 at 9:46 p.m.
  • sounds like they have some crazy neighbors

May 25, 2010 at 8:44 p.m.
  • is there an HOA in Quail Creek? If not, perhaps someone should look into creating one.

May 25, 2010 at 8:11 p.m.
  • Lived in Quail Creek back in '80s-'90s. Pet owners then let dogs run all over the subdivision. They spread garbage all over yards, chased walkers/joggers/bicyclists, even biting a few. I hear it is even worse now.

County needs to create/enforce a leash law in the neighborhood for public safety.

May 25, 2010 at 8:01 p.m.