Comments

• The younger boy was drunk and high also and he wanted to go do a beer run. And the older boy said no, the younger boy started the fight and the two friends stepped in. It was the two friends who knocked him unconsious.The older brother wouldnt let him do the beer run.
    The younger child does not remember anything.
    The mother will be pressing charges so the DA will not pick it up.

November 13, 2010 at 8:07 p.m.
  • I do know this family, and the in this case the ones that have blamed the parents. You win!!
    The dads in jail right now and he is in and out of jail all year round for the same thing, drugs.
    Both of the parents are drug addicts and have been for years.
    The kids run around the apts like there wild. They have no guidance whats so ever.
    And I didnt get to see the race war ya were having but the dad is white and mom is spanish.
    The boy did get to come home last night, and he is doing fine now. Thank GOD!!!

November 13, 2010 at 7:30 p.m.
  • Dang! Four o'clock in the afternoon and loaded on booze and dope. It doesn't really matter that the parents weren't on the scene at the time of the beating. The problem is that they seem to have not been effective parents for the past 15 years and this is just the end result.

Why do people have kids they can't raise? If one is unable or unwilling to be a twenty-four hour a day parent who provides guidence, not just "discipline" in the form of whippings; if one is unable or unwilling to afford the financial responsibilities of parenthood; if one is unable or unwilling to make the sacrificesof time to spend with the kid(s), then for cryin' out loud don't have them. There are ways to avoid this problem before it starts. Just don't. For the good of the kids, for the good of other's kids, for the good of society, just DON'T.

November 12, 2010 at 7:35 p.m.
  • I know some of the family of the 13 yr old boy who was beat almost to death by one of his brothers along with his friends... my prayers are with them all, even the brother that is sitting in jail sober now! Hopefully he is sitting with deep regret for almost killing his little brother because he was high! You know, I also believe the parents of course have to take on some blame simply because they are the parents… but depending on the upbringing and participation they had in their kids lives the responsibility only can go so far... As a parent I must say my children are my world! I will defend them when they need me to and I will discipline them when they need it also...my kids DO know how a belt feels but I was raised much harder than how I raise my children today I guess because I felt it was so harsh when I was a child… but based off of the discipline given or not given to any children as they were growing up doesn’t necessarily reflect the outcome. So no one can really blame one or the other completely but in our world today most of society seems to be so angry and frustrated with life that it is simply a disgraceful place for children to be raised period. Unless God is number one in the home…they do not have a fighting chance… so when you start to point your finger or think you should place blame anywhere think about this… What have you done to even remotely try to better this city or our children in this madness we live in today… and if you think you are doing your part, are you sure? If your not, you should be… I know plenty of sad families and frustrated children that could use a hug sometimes… there is a lot we can do for children… together we can save the hearts and souls of the lost ones that are out there… be sure to give the love that Jesus so desperately wants us to give to each other and also to the people you see that makes you think “Oh my gosh, look at those people… or you think don’t look their way they might attack you”… think of David and Goliath, God prevailed!!! That might be your “calling” from God, your one lost sheep to save… with love and prayers

November 12, 2010 at 12:22 p.m.
  • Well I must say that some of the facts are not correct.....the young teen was sent to DTar not citizens....what else was reported wrong?

November 12, 2010 at 6:40 a.m.
  • For all of u who are so adamant on blaming the actions on the parents why do u whoa up a minute. Why don't you stop and think a minute. Granted, they may not have been there to prevent the senseless act that occurred but can all of you say for certain that had a parent been at home this tragic occurence would not have happened? Easily he could have been taken off some where were there were NO witnesses and then what would the outcome have been?

If a group of children had decided to attack this child it would have happened anywhere. And what would be the purpose in holding that parent responsible for the senseless beating? No parent in their mind would condone the actions of these three thugs. Why not also blame the bystanders also. According to our illustrious police department this act was witnessed by bystanders. Why not hold them respnonsible too?

Don't you think this child parent or parents are suffering enough? Why don't you all get of your high horses and put the blame where it belongs.

November 12, 2010 at 3:37 a.m.
  • The first and only trouble I got into as a teen was as a sophomore. I skipped school with a couple of senior friends on Senior Skip Out day to go to Astroworld. My Mother whipped my butt, grounded me for 6 weeks and called the school demanding I get 3 Sat detentions. Plus threatened to take a baseball bat to the engine of my car. No more problems here and she was a working single mom.

November 11, 2010 at 9:07 a.m.
  • Children who are under the influence of drugs and alcohol at 4 something in the afternoon...and there are people who DON'T place blame on the parents? Perhaps it would be different had they snuck out while the parents were sleeping at night. But this is not the case. This is a classic example of the results of poor parenting. People ask....where were the parents? Isn't it obvious? They aren't there parenting...they are somewhere else, maybe working...allowing their children to do as they wish upon getting out of school apparently. Just because you are at work does not excuse your responsibility to make sure your children are properly supervised. Kids that are responsible enough to be allowed to do as they wish until parents come home are not the kind of kids who get drunk and high and beat up their friends and siblings....if you are a real parent doing your job, then you know you can trust your kid. If you don't know that, then you are FAILING as a parent.

November 11, 2010 at 8:30 a.m.
  • @Speakup1968...All I did was point out the racist comment of another. AND as I see now that comment is deleted by the Advocate.
    As your post was directly above mineand citing my comment, I take it was directed toward mine.. "Funny last week prior to elections, we were given all sorts of stats showing crime down in Victoria. Now 1 week later, crime is back to normal".
    I do not see where racist come into play. I was just stating facts. As for my initial entry.
    I deleted post due to misspelling of words, my post was not deleted by VA staff. and it still stands..

November 11, 2010 at 8:22 a.m.
  • kash..." I bet you not only were spanked but your parents took responsibity for their children."

I'd bet you grew up like I did, in a neighborhood where EVERYBODY looked out for everybody else's kids. It wasn't just my parents who would spank me. The next door neighbor did a couple of times and my parents didn't go looking for a lawyer to sue her either. Instead, there was an encore performance from MY folks -- AND I had to go back next door and apologize for causing trouble. That was hard to do. But, I have never had to spend a night in jail.

November 10, 2010 at 8:27 p.m.
  • These teenagers not only need to be held accountable for their actions, they must be tried as adults. If other cities across this nation see fit to treat young villains commiting heinous acts as adults, we should too. This trio assumed the roles of adults by taking on the responsibility of consuming ADULT beverages. As for their consumption of the illicit drugs, stupidity knows no bounds. The crime they committed while under the influence should also be treated as an adult crime.

Mr. Tyler needs to stand behind his campaign slogan and PROSECUTE to the fullest extent of the law, maybe even set a precedent, charge them with premeditated assault, attempted murder or whatever the result may be. It's obvious they have no regard for human life, especially the brother. (My sons would never dream of hurting each other. As a matter of fact, they would defend each other no matter what).

To go one step further, Mr. Tyler also needs to prosecute whomever provided these teenagers with the alcohol and the marijuana since they obviously are not employed.

November 10, 2010 at 6:06 a.m.
  • I can honestly say I know some boys that were raise by a good family and were respectful but when they reached the teenage years....it was like something changed and they started getting into trouble. The parents were always involved but the boys but the boys still did broke the law. I find it hard to blame the parents because I seen it happen to good families. I strongly believe teenagers need to be held accountable. I certainly do not know these teenagers involved. My heart breaks for their families. Imagine yourself in the parents shoes then see if you would point the finger. I am watching nightline just now and they are highlighting a teen put a contract out on his own mother. Teens all over are out of control. Its sad!

November 9, 2010 at 10:41 p.m.

November 9, 2010 at 10:38 p.m.
  • Two 16-year-old boys and one 15-year-old, who is the victim's brother...Not gang related? Could it be an initiation? Could it be the brother just "clicking" the younger bro in? just thinking...

November 9, 2010 at 9:32 p.m.
  • As I said I understand most parents work but I doubt this was their first time to get drunk and high. I bet you not only were spanked but your parents took responsibity for their children. If parent's were held responsible for their minor children's actions, I bet many would keep a closer eye on them. Another example was the kid who wrecked in the park without a driver's lincense. Why was he allowed keys to the car? Why are these kids allowed to run around drunk and high?

November 9, 2010 at 9:07 p.m.
  • Scorpio, the kids do hold some responsability, but so do the parents. You have to raise kids not just have them. Had they been raised in a loving caring home, I think that the situation would have been very different. I feel they do know right from wrong, but they do not fear the results of their actions. Thats where being a parent comes in.

For example learn the law. Spanking is still legal and not against the law as you say. If our kids need it do it. Don't simply not do it, because some people frown apon it.

You are correct that throwing the blame off only encourages this behavior and the parents need some blame in this too. Just saying it was the kids choice and that the parents could have done nothing is wrong. At that given time and point you are correct it was the kids choice and the parents were not around, but the parenting started 15 years ago and thats where they went wrong.

November 9, 2010 at 9:05 p.m.
  • oxymoron your wrong at the age of 15-16 years old give me a break. In the perfect world people would have a stay at home mom or a baby sitter but we are talking about times that are tough. Recession/Depression ring a bell. Those young adults knew right from wrong and chose to do what they did. Parents can not be held accountable for every action of a teenager. What about peer pressure, the world we live in is not as perfect as leave it to beaver or the brady bunch. You have to be real and think real. Throwing the blame off only encourages this behavior. I say make them accountable and maybe these teenagers will think twice before breaking the law. I grew up when a spanking was not against the law and kids were afraid to get into trouble. Todays kids dont have discipline and are out of control.

November 9, 2010 at 7:53 p.m.
  • Yeah, in a perfect world, unfortunately, we don't live in one.

November 9, 2010 at 6:32 p.m.
  • Scorpio the parents are fully to blame. If the kids are not responsible enough to sta home not drink alcohol or do drugs then they need not be left at home alone and a baby sitter is still needed. The parents should have installed in the kids good morals and values and spoke with them about the dangers of drugs and alcohol.

November 9, 2010 at 6:27 p.m.
  • kash...... usually around 4:30 parents are working and at the age of 13 yrs and 15 yrs a babysitter is not needed. Most working class people cant afford to not work and its hard finding someone who will watch teenagers especially if you have no family around. So before you blame the parents you need to put the blame where the blame is belongs on the teenagers involved. They are old enough to know right from wrong.

November 9, 2010 at 6:15 p.m.
  • What alarms me is if there were witnesses to the beating crime why is it that no one did anything to stop them before they got so far into the beating? I am saddened that this child had to experience such horror at the hands of his brother and two friends. I pray for a complete recovery physically and pray for mental recovery as well. It is so sad what this world is coming to......

November 9, 2010 at 6:08 p.m.
  • I would like to know where the parents are too? I know most work but if a child is this drunk and high at 4:30pm there has to be signs.

November 9, 2010 at 4:30 p.m.
  • Speakup1968.

Becareful. They might accuse you of playing the "card".

November 9, 2010 at 4:28 p.m.
  • This child beating incident is absolutely heartbreaking. Where are the parents of these kids??? Sadly enough, our children tend to learn what they live. Who knows what goes on in their own homes.

November 9, 2010 at 4:14 p.m.
  • Funny last week prior to elections, we were given all sorts of stats showing crime down in Victoria. Now 1 week later, crime is back to normal.

November 9, 2010 at 2:52 p.m.

November 9, 2010 at 2:49 p.m.
  • Geezz... what about adding attempted murder to the charges here??? Sounds like they were almost successful. I just pray for healing and peace for this boy.

November 9, 2010 at 1:13 p.m.
  • I'm sorry, I didnt realize the race was an obvious one here? You people are ridiculous.

November 9, 2010 at 11:11 a.m.
  • This is a new low for our community. We are all citizens of the same city so what happens in that neighborhood is part of all of us. When we read "Blotter" or Police and Courts" in the Advocate there is little or no detail. Some of the arrests are for "theft of stolen goods"! Really? And when was the last time there was a article on court cases in the paper? Unless it is a gang issue and our DA kicks in the door himself we will never hear about it.

November 9, 2010 at 10:21 a.m.
  • sweet if you look farther down the article the police are looking for 2 men who robbed another they give a description of the offenders with out all the information.

November 9, 2010 at 8:31 a.m.

November 9, 2010 at 6:56 a.m.

November 9, 2010 at 6:16 a.m.

November 9, 2010 at 4:32 a.m.
  • jtmcneley, It is not just here this kind of thing happens almost daily across the nation. I for one am tired of hearing about kids beating other kids up, children abused and as often as not were eventually killed by a parent. What does that say about our youth today? What it means to me is that while there are kids out there who are great kids...there are a growing number who accept no responsibility of their actions and goodness knows they seem to be incapable of understanding cause and effect, they are void to everyone and everything except themselves and when it comes to respecting other's property they don't know the meaning of the word. They have no value of life.

I hope that this young man makes it through and I hope that his brother and friends get what they justly deserve under the law.

November 8, 2010 at 11:30 p.m.
  • I am completely saddened and appalled at the behaviour of a sibling to another sibling. What in the world is happening in this town, where are the parents? I have children and they are precious to me they are a gift from God...Life is precious!

November 8, 2010 at 7:04 p.m.